Diablo® III

Top 5 gaming moments

I been gaming a very long time. In no particular order...

*"You are in an open field, west of a big white house with a boarded front door..." - I was maybe 10yo at the the time. Dad had just bought us a Commadore64. Brand new technology at the time. This was the first "computer game" I ever played. I remember that very first moment pretty clearly.

*Sitting in my dark office late at night right after Doom2 first came out and having to flick the lights on and look around cause I was actually a bit freaked with all the ambient growling and noises.

*Me and my wife on the brink of seperating over my video game addiction. Her finally standing there glaring over my shoulder, no doubt about to start another fight and then all at once saying, "Ummm, they have FEMALE characters??" (Talking about my female Amazon flinging arrows)
Shortly after deciding I was never going to get to use my own computer again, I built her her very own and she's been a gamer along-side me ever since!

*Pick any moment in any of dozens of games that I played with my dad and we'd find ourselves laughing till our sides hurt, or cursing each other to hell over the latest kill we got on the other.

*Any of hundreds of times sprawled around my buddy's living room floor with our friends, drunk as hell, playing actual pen and paper D&D. Good times!

*Myself, wife and her big sister crowded around my 9yo daughter as she stepped up to face Diablo here in D3 just a few months ago. There was screaming and yelling and advice and "OMFG, HEAL!! No, go get next to the well!! No, use this skill or that skill!!" and ultimately her screaming back at us something along the lines of, "I GOT THIS!! BACK OFF!"
And she did. Pwn'd his !@#.

Single top moment, above and beyond anything else though...
*When the "Epic weapon" was new on Everquest and only a handful of people had them, my wife was getting hers(Druid). She had done all the legwork, we'd done all the fights, all the combines, camped all the mobs. WEEKS worth of work invested. Last fight remaining and I called in every favor I had. Roughly 40 people showed up for that last boss fight.
I'm tanking with an array of clerics behind me, wizards are throwing ice comets and fireballs, shaman are slowing and buffing, arrows are flying from the Rangers, Rogues are backstabbing to high hell, pets everywhere.
Fight literally took like 10mins. Was a raid-level encounter.
Critter finally falls, cheers erupt and she's sitting there taking it in. Hell, she has 5 mins to loot. No big deal.
Until our power went out...

The chaos in that little rental house was unlike anything I've ever experienced. We were both freaking completely the F out. Was the item going to rot before we got back? Did someone ninja-loot it?? How long was the power going to be out!? OMFG, WE JUST WASTED 40+ people's time!! I finally discovered a breaker had tripped and turned it back on. We can't get logged back in initially because the chars are stuck, locked in limbo, waiting for them to reset.

She made it back in with probaly 20sec to spare and got the item. And then we BOTH sat there and cried. It was insane. =\
Reply Quote
- Original Ghost Recon / Desert Siege / Island Thunder.

- Golden Eye For the N64 Marathons in the Dorm Lounge at University.

- C c c c c Combo Breaker: Killer instinct on the SNES With Friends.

- Beating Final Fantasy 1 on the NES

- First Time Playing WOW.
Reply Quote
World Heroes Jet, arcade, Dragon vs Zeus. Freaking epic.
Reply Quote
#1 Shadowbane 100 them vs 80 of us to defend our city then raze our enemies. Took all day and was often a lag fest but fun fun fun!!!

#2 Shadowbane badly outnumbered as most of our guild was offline and at work vs European guild who was almost all online vs us. We had to defend our city for hours on end until our members could log in and break the siege.

#3 Everquest Top Tier guild runs in Ssraeshza Temple. 1st guild / alliance to sucessfully run it on our realm / server.

#4 WoW PvP WoLK Wintergrasp (Alliance)

#5 Kingdom of Drakkar when rogue players started doing PvP which was against the ToS but incredibly fun.
Edited by Spiderbyte#1961 on 11/20/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
#1 diablo 2 - had a lvl 96 hammerdin, went into a dueling game, a lvl 98 druid has god mode, put my serious face on, was able to kill him cuz he was using a sh!t version of god mode(he ran to akara multiple times)

#2 The Legend of Dragoon (ps1) the cinematic in the game at the time we're the best, final fantasy is bullshet and WAY over-rated.

#3 Lineage 2 - had a lvl 70ish gladiator, being able to walk anywhere on the map and just start randomly killing players and gaining karma, had a group of 3 to 5 people, lvl 40-60's try to kill me, they weren't successful.

#4 starcraft (b.net) - playing UMS setting type games, countless hours playing brilliant games

#5 Diablo 2 - HC pking, just being able to join random games and hostiling the entire party, THE HUNT IS ON.
Edited by Zieg#1865 on 11/20/2012 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
#1 diablo 2 - had a lvl 96 hammerdin, went into a dueling game, a lvl 98 druid has god mode, put my serious face on, was able to kill him cuz he was using a sh!t version of god mode(he ran to akara multiple times)

#2 The Legend of Dragoon (ps1) the cinematic in the game at the time we're the best, final fantasy is bullshet and WAY over-rated.

#3 Lineage 2 - had a lvl 70ish gladiator, being able to walk anywhere on the map and just start randomly killing players and gaining karma, had a group of 3 to 5 people, lvl 40-60's try to kill me, they weren't successful.

#4 starcraft (b.net) - playing UMS setting type games, countless hours playing brilliant games

#5 Diablo 2 - HC pking, just being able to join random games and hostiling the entire party, THE HUNT IS ON.

D2 Duels / PK was indeed amazing.
Reply Quote
1. Playing the first installment of Prince of Persia on a VGA monitor for the first time.

2. In Demon's Souls, randomly being joined for PVP without any warning, and random join other games for PVP without warning them either.

3. Driving a tank causing havoc everywhere in GTA II. Oh well, causing all kinds of havoc in any version of GTA is just #!@# load of fun!

4. Being able to use a mouse to look around in Quake I.

5. Getting out of vault for the first time in Fallout III.

6. Blow up buildings and snipe people using commando in C&C.
Edited by silverkw#1355 on 11/20/2012 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
1. Finally figuring out the submarine code in Star Tropics.
2. Beating Super Mario Bros.
3. Playing Scorched Earth, one of the first PC games I ever played.
4. The first time I ever played a game with someone that wasn't sitting right beside me, Duke Nukem 3D.
5. Spending countless hours a night playing Heroes of Might and Magic (1) over my 9600 baud modem.

6. Because I have a sixth. The awe and amazement of Playstation 1994. I feel sorry for gamer kids now a days that will never get to experience what it was like going from SNES to the next generation. It was truly mindboggling. Graphically, games haven't improved very much in the last 7+ years, at least absolutely nothing like it was going from SNES to Playstation. Now a days, games are all about how much features they can load into them, and how many DLC's they can pump out. The experience is mostly lost.
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 11/20/2012 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
*When the "Epic weapon" was new on Everquest and only a handful of people had them, my wife was getting hers(Druid). She had done all the legwork, we'd done all the fights, all the combines, camped all the mobs. WEEKS worth of work invested. Last fight remaining and I called in every favor I had. Roughly 40 people showed up for that last boss fight.
I'm tanking with an array of clerics behind me, wizards are throwing ice comets and fireballs, shaman are slowing and buffing, arrows are flying from the Rangers, Rogues are backstabbing to high hell, pets everywhere.
Critter finally falls, cheers erupt and she's sitting there taking it in. Hell, she has 5 mins to loot. No big deal.

The chaos in that little rental house was unlike anything I've ever experienced. We were both freaking completely the F out. Was the item going to rot before we got back? Did someone ninja-loot it?? How long was the power going to be out!? OMFG, WE JUST WASTED 40+ people's time!! I finally discovered a breaker had tripped and turned it back on. We can't get logged back in initially because the chars are stuck, locked in limbo, waiting for them to reset.

She made it back in with probaly 20sec to spare and got the item. And then we BOTH sat there and cried. It was insane. =\

EPIC story! If I ever end up married I hope that I can find someone to share experiences like that with.
Reply Quote
Diablo 1: Meeting the Skeleton King for the very first time.

Warcraft Orcs and Humans: Playing my first match vs a player.

Myst: Discovering my first Age.

Myth The Fallen Lords: Completing the first mission in Legendary difficulty.

Sonic 2: Beating the game.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Seraphi
6. Because I have a sixth. The awe and amazement of Playstation 1994. I feel sorry for gamer kids now a days that will never get to experience what it was like going from SNES to the next generation. It was truly mindboggling. Graphically, games haven't improved very much in the last 7+ years, at least absolutely nothing like it was going from SNES to Playstation. Now a days, games are all about how much features they can load into them, and how many DLC's they can pump out. The experience is mostly lost.

Yeah... That was something.
I remember my first time playing crash bandicoot and wipeout XL (my first games on the playstation). Before that, I only played on Amiga and Master System.
Later, I learned that they were some rare hybrids between playstation/saturn and SNES/genesis. So the transition was actually smoother that what came as a gigantic jump for most players.

The only way we could have such a big "revolution" today is if virtual reality comes out. But it's an old gaming fantasy ^^'
(Augmented reality sounds promising on this point though.)
Reply Quote
1. Opening up an Atari 2600 for Christmas as a wee lad and playing Combat for the first time.

2. Playing Space Invaders and later Galaga in arcades with my dad. My buddy and I still play Galaga to this day when we run into it (like after a movie in the theater), though we usually leave the rest of our game to kids that are watching once our wives get bored watching us play one game for 10+ minutes.

3. Pool of Radiance and Heroes of the Lance - From pen and paper to the computer, D&D RPGs have always been one of my favorites.

4. Playing Duck Hunt with the Zapper for the first time. I have a massive love for shooting games, and would love to find something like one of the Time Crisis games for my home.

5. Neverwinter Nights - Best D&D based RPG ever in my opinion. Not for the game itself, but for the tool kit and the community developed/supported games and servers that were created.

6. Hiding a copy of Leisure Suit Larry and the Land of the Lounge Lizards from my parents and playing it while they were asleep.
Edited by Drayven#2543 on 11/20/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
1. Super Mario 3 (My all time favorite platform game)

2. Phantasy Star 4 (while released in NA the same year as CT. It was already out in Japan 2 years earlier. The combos were innovative for me. CT just expanded on this concept.)

3. Chrono Trigger and pretty much any game for SNES (only console to give it a run for it's money is the PS2 imo)

4. D2 PK...hours upon hours of enjoyment. I even thought about re installing but, 800x600 is beyond awful.

5. Street Fighter 3rd Strike or MVC2....I still play both these games to this day.

Honorable mentions...

Link to the Past: One of the best Zelda games IMO

FF4-FF10: I think each game were top notch in their own way. Kefka > Seph. Sorry it's true.

WoW: Was awesome thru TBC. Blizzard saw dollar signs and pretty much changed their business model I'd say 6 months into that expansions life cycle.
Reply Quote
The end of halflife 2 episode 2.

FF7: doing cloud's limit break on the final battle with Sepiroth

Resident Evil 2 (i think) .... when the big dude in the trenchcoat broke through the wall. Shocked the crap out of me i dropped the controller.

Beating Ninja Gaiden (original) and then the first one for the xbox.

Beating Mike Tyson in the original Punchout.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Reply Quote
In no order:

• Chrono Trigger: Watching the ending for the first time.
  • D2: First time I cleared Uber Tristan with my wife.
  • NBA Jam, Clay Fighter, and TMNT: Tournament Fighters: Winning the blockbuster game tournament when I was 12 (local branch). I had my 3 point % up to 95% in NBA Jam, then at the tri-state level of competition I was player 2... 3 point "sweet spot" moved...
  • Dark Age of Camelot: 36 hour raid into Midgard and we (Albion) finally broke their defenses (will to play). Fighting the last few up to the relic, and a Hibernian Lurikeen stealth type runs through my detection radius. Uh, oh. Relic gone. Hibernia gets the last minute snipe.
  • FF7: Aeris.
Reply Quote
1. Asherons Call - Shard of the Herald live event HG server. Hands down nothing will ever come close to a once in a lifetime occurance like that

2. Halo 2 - Being part of extremely good team (The AKs) breaking into the top 3 in Big Team Battle, including perfecting the 15second flag cap (so many hours perfecting the exact pixel placement)

3. Starcraft - Going 1 vs 6 on a good lan party and destroying the 6

4. Mario 3 - Beating the game in record time

5. COD MW - Going 102-5 on Bog standing dead center of map.
Reply Quote
Resident evil - when a nasty baddy dropped from the cieling right in front of me without any warning. scared the crap outta me - sweet stuff.
Reply Quote
So what are your most memorable moments in gaming?

Here’s mine:

1 - The Butcher in D1! I will never forget hearing “fresh Meat” for the first time and finding my wiz had nowhere to run....

2 - Descent 2 – The first time I killed a RL friend in H2H combat!

3 - War 2 – The sheer pleasure of demolishing a friend’s base with a pack of 4 bloodlusted ogres!

4 – Ultima Online – The satisfaction of achieving “Glorious Lord” for the first time .....

5 – Quake – Multiplayer using Glide (3DFX) ... it was pure eye candy ...

1- UO- The first time I pk'd a noob in a Fel house (Back when it flagged you as grey for entering when not friended.)

2- FF3- The endless hours I spent playing that game instead of outside with my friends/siblings.

3- LoTRO- Trolling noobs in PVMP.

4- D3- The first 50ish hours. (Before I started really having to grind.)

5- Only the future will tell.
Reply Quote
1 Dragon warriors Nintendo
2 Contra with my dad
3 quake single player was awesome as well as multi
4 Diablo 1 and 2
5 Diablo 3 Beta before we got to witness crap
Reply Quote

EPIC story! If I ever end up married I hope that I can find someone to share experiences like that with.

What a truly epic story - something about the way EQ managed loot, you always felt you had truly earned it. And I still remember the envy I would feel playing my druid when an epic equipped druid wandered by, with those green leaves flowing off the sword :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]