Diablo® III

1.06 - Framerate troubles Persist.

Do these threads ever go anywhere? So many of these and all we get is machkhan coming in and asking whats wrong with our computers? This is a problem on blizzards end and needs to be fixed.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Shocker
Do these threads ever go anywhere? So many of these and all we get is machkhan coming in and asking whats wrong with our computers? This is a problem on blizzards end and needs to be fixed.

RESET THE SMC!!!!11eleven

/sarc
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I think the main issue is that we're unable to create the types of low performance that is being reported to investigate the issue.

If you're having issues with stuttering when first playing or when new stuff appears on the screen for the first time, but slowly goes away, that is something that is being worked on and tweaked with every patch that comes.

The other reports of low performance is something we cannot reproduce unless a Mac is overheated in such a way like playing on a soft surface to block vents, playing in a warm room, etc.

We keep trying to gather data to help investigate and reproduce the issue. The only other thing we found that may be cause issues is (Mac specific):

• Waking a computer up from sleep may cause performance issues for all OpenGL applications. This is something that been reported many times and has been escalated to Apple for investigation.
  • Having a software update (10.8.2, 10.7.5, firmware update) may cause issues with the SMC. This requires the SMC to be reset.

Other than that, there are reports of the SMC resolving issues, but after game play, you may have to reset it again to get optimal game play. This is something that is also being investigated, but have been unable to reproduce yet.

This is why we keep trying to gather more data, as if we cannot reproduce the issues, there isn't much that can be done to address it. We'll keep trying to gather more information and suggest new troubleshooting steps, but as stated before, this is something we haven't pinpoint other than the mentioned items above.
Reply Quote
B.

And I get lag continuously, as well; for example, fight over against a champ pack, and pick up loot to id it. To drop it, the drops lag coming out of my inventory, same with pickups. Gold even. The lag is continuous, even when the machine is cool, and both on my desktop with the latest version of 10.6 OS, and and on my laptop with 10.7.5. The graphics cards are top notch, lots of ram on both machines, nothing else runs as poorly as D3.

It used to run just fine under 1.0.4 - not sure if I played much during 1.0.5, but don't recall the game being unplayable until 1.0.6 patch. I play with most all effects turned on and have since I first started playing. I have quit the applications and processes that are suggested each time I go to play. Will try the SMC reset thing and report back.

***Tried resetting the SMC, did nothing. I hate that it used to be so fluid and awesome back in 1.0.4 and now the problem cannot be diagnosed; perhaps the code that worked can inform the current code? (disclaimer, I am not a programmer, just doing some forensic thinking)
Edited by Thiklan#1162 on 12/5/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you for the reply Machkhan

There should be no issue in reproducing this. If I lived nearby, I would drive over to you to show how appalling this title runs on my machine.

I'm beginning to think it is an issue with specific hardware(s), hence you are unable to replicate on your end. This wouldn't confirm with other users specifications, but at least I would have the reassurance that nothing will ever be fixed.

The big discrepancy I wish to note is how the title performed 'post 1.0.5' versus 1.0.4's performance. It's drastic and well documented on these forums.
Edited by Ghostpos#1230 on 12/4/2012 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
B. And it's only started after the 1.06 patch. I have the 2012 Macbook Pro Retina, and I've never experienced any time of lag until 1.06. Coincidence?
Reply Quote
Same set up for me Deltmi. Macbook Pro Retina was running perfectly until the 1.06 patch. Now it's unplayable. I noticed the frame rate drop right from the character screen - you can see it's much slower and gameplay is worse. Unplayable now.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can we try running the repair tool that has been added since Thursday and see if it helps in any way?
Reply Quote
@ Machkhan

The Repair Tool ran, and subsequently made zero difference. A recent reply to a post concerning FPS indicates that Mountain Lion may be at fault.

Is this being further investigated, or is it still 'something we cannot replicate' on the Mac Team's end?
Reply Quote
Hey all,

So, please describe the low frames rates.

Is this a case when:
  • A. Its low FPS as soon as you start the game.
  • B. Normal frame rates but you notice "stutter" when monsters load, spells cast, etc. This causes the FPS meter to drop momentarily, but then go back to normal.
  • C. Low FPS after X amount of time. (please tell us the time it starts to drop)
  • D. The FPS spikes up and down, even when nothing is happening on the screen.
  • E. Other (Please describe exact details.)

Please keep in mind we're looking at this issue from a 1.0.6 standpoint now.

I am SEVERELY encountering A. As soon as the game loads it is barely moving. I have a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina Display that runs EVERYTHING ELSE PERFECT!!! What is going on????

I fixed A with the Shift-Control-Option-Power button reset. Now I'm having B. Nothing around me then all of a sudden I'm dead and the mobs appear.
Edited by DanielMeyer#1505 on 12/13/2012 11:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey all,

So, please describe the low frames rates.

Is this a case when:
  • A. Its low FPS as soon as you start the game.
  • B. Normal frame rates but you notice "stutter" when monsters load, spells cast, etc. This causes the FPS meter to drop momentarily, but then go back to normal.
  • C. Low FPS after X amount of time. (please tell us the time it starts to drop)
  • D. The FPS spikes up and down, even when nothing is happening on the screen.
  • E. Other (Please describe exact details.)

Please keep in mind we're looking at this issue from a 1.0.6 standpoint now.

I'm on a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro. The game has run smoothly and flawlessly since Day 1. Since the 1.06 patch the entire game is choppy. By entire game I mean the LOGIN screen. Just typing in my password there is a delay between each keystroke. The AH and gameplay are extremely laggy to the point where I can't be bothered logging on anymore after hundreds of hours of gameplay. I have not changed any system settings or internet settings after 1.06 patch. Only D3 is laggy. Other apps and games are fine. It's unfortunate this kind of problem is arising just when long time players are deciding whether to stick around. Please fix as soon as possible...

tried the repair tool and it did nothing to resolve the lag.

- roro
Edited by Roronoa#1214 on 12/14/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Roro highlights important points. First, he is not running an ancient Macintosh, in fact it's newer technology. Secondly, only D3 runs poorly for him, other games/applications are fine. Third even the login screen is laggy, further indicating the huge performance gaps experienced by many Mac users.
Reply Quote
Do the Shift-Control-Option-Power reset. It has cleared up the lag on the login screen and what not. But still experiencing the lag with mobs on occasion.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
I just have a strong feeling when apples actually fixes 10.7 or 10.8's opengl performance bug, the reports will greatly decrease on this. Just wish apple would take gaming seriously. If it was an iOS bug they'd push an update tomorrow.
Reply Quote
73 Night Elf Hunter
I am really at my wits end.

Every patch we get told that things will be fixed.

Every patch I fire up my Diablo 3 and every single time I am disappointed.

I am even willing to play at everything on the lowest settings even though my specs dwarf the recommended requirements, still does not work smoothly.

I have always been a fan of Blizzard because of their mac support, but this game has just been a travesty for mac players.

Could you just let those of use who are unwilling to wait more patches until we can finally play our game that we paid for in an enjoyable manner get some kind of refund if we cancel it from our Blizz-account?

At this point I am willing to just get half off and get rid of this game instead of experiencing the disappointment each patch with this game.

I am not even angry, just more sad that none of this is even close to being fixed nearly half a year after release.
Reply Quote
I don't buy that Blizzard can not reproduce this on their end. Either that or they're using a fully loaded $4,000 12-Core Mac Pro / DEV PC with 32 gigs of RAM and the AMD HD 5870.

If not, mind clarifying what type of machines you're trying to reproduce on? Most of us are reporting the issues from Macbook Pros and iMacs, tried one of those?

The stuttering / lag is horrible. It's the WORST when you first load the game and take your first WP. Oh boy, I expect to die every time I take a WP.
Edited by CEYZILLA#1708 on 12/16/2012 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP Here.

@Machkhan
Thank you very much for finally posting on this subject and furthermore replying to my post, it actually means a lot. It is very reassuring to see you part from the ambiguous and talk about fixing specifics.

However, is it a little disheartening to see that you can't recreate any of these issues. All my friends on Mac have the same issue with D3. I will try and be as clear as possible on the following list to further help the Devs fix this for Mac gamers.

About my Mac.
It is always perched on a Griffon laptop elevator stand so my mac can breath and never has fan obstruction. I wouldn't say my Mac is ever abnormally hot, but the fan still works hard.
I'm not going to post my system specs because that has been done before in other threads. But, I am on a late 2009 15' Macbook Pro. I can play COD, Bioshock, and most other current gen games without any troubles. Bioshock I run at low res though, no different than my D3 settings. Oh, and Snow Leopard for life (best Mac OS EVER!)

I have 4gigs of RAM, and installed my own 250gb SSD which made my Mac blazing fast. D3 is installed on my solid state, so my computer has no problem running it.
I use my Mac mainly for video editing, and frequently see Premier or After Effects zap 180% of my CPU yet it still manages to run with relativity no stutter. D3 by contrast runs at around 120-130% CPU usage in game, and around 20-50% for the menus.
I play D3 with lowest everything, and turn everything off where applicable. I play at 1400x900 fullscreen.

Pertaining to your lettered post, my reply is.
B, C, D
My framerate never goes a full minute without dipping, it can even dip when there is not much at all happening, but the most common occurrence is for elites/white mobs. Can also happen with lots of zombie bears stampeding about :P
After X amount of time gameplay will generally deteriorate as well, at that point I just give the comp a restart and clear the cache.

My problem understanding this all is that the game worked fine from 1.03-1.04, in fact it was often blazing! It wasn't abnormal to see my FPS hit the 80's, though it usually sat around 60. Then 1.05/6 come out and took away all the seemingly great progress that had been made.

How do I know this problem is server side? During 1.03/half of 1.04 I was living in a different house. Our Ping was usually around 180-210, yet I still got framerates of 60+. I am in a different house now, our Ping is usually around 11, so about 16 times faster than my old house. I played 1.04 a lot at my new house and never had framerate troubles till 1.05.
Reply Quote
A, B but not that much after some time, and I would add E - game starts to lag massively when destroying objects, any kind of object (barels, benches, urns, etc) which happens quite often when using wide range skills.

Does anyone have this issue with 'dead' objects?

1.04 was great even on my old mac (5.1 I think) from late 2008.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I don't buy that Blizzard can not reproduce this on their end. Either that or they're using a fully loaded $4,000 12-Core Mac Pro / DEV PC with 32 gigs of RAM and the AMD HD 5870.

If not, mind clarifying what type of machines you're trying to reproduce on? Most of us are reporting the issues from Macbook Pros and iMacs, tried one of those?

The stuttering / lag is horrible. It's the WORST when you first load the game and take your first WP. Oh boy, I expect to die every time I take a WP.

Most Macs that have been in production are the ones tested. Remember this is technical support, so I may not be able to answer much on the development process.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]