Diablo® III

You like bad drops?

Really? You guys like bad drops for those who praise D3 for its hard to get loot?
I thought playing games was supposed to be fun. What's so fun about getting crap all the time? Is it just to build suspense and false hype until you actually get that good drop or what?

Just curious because I see that a lot coming from people who actually like the game for its horrid drops. Didn't know finding garbage = gratifying.
Reply Quote
So stop playing, stop making whiny forum posts, then gtfo? Simple.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Aesthetic
So stop playing, stop making whiny forum posts, then gtfo? Simple.

Answering a question with a question is just dumb. When was this a whine? I simply asked and trying to figure out what's fun about finding bad drops.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

Answering a question with a question is just dumb. When was this a whine? I simply asked and trying to figure out what's fun about finding bad drops.

Must not have gone to college or even high school. Sorry for your loss :(
Reply Quote
Bad is relative. 99% of everything you find will always be bad, no matter how good the loot gets. The stuff you vendor now would have been considered near godly in 1.02.
Reply Quote

Must not have gone to college or even high school. Sorry for your loss :(

Thanks for dodging the question further. Makes sense I suppose that there isn't anything to back up what is "fun" about D3's bad drops and miniscule amount of good drops then.

I have no idea how college or highschool has any bearing on the question at hand here.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Zoid
Bad is relative. 99% of everything you find will always be bad, no matter how good the loot gets. The stuff you vendor now would have been considered near godly in 1.02.

I only remember my gear to be near top-gear when it was like 1.0.3. This was when legendaries were non-existant and Rares were dominant in the market. Now then I hear of legendaries dropping left and right and it doesnt even seem to have any sense to have any of the previous Grades of items. (Rare, Magic). Whites and Grays = permanently useless don't even know why they're in the pool. So does that mean the rest is just trash and all we look for is Orange/Maroon text?

At least back then it used to be some Magic items COULD be as useful as a Rare or better in some cases at max level. now its just Legendary.
Doesn't sound so legendary if everyone has it IMO but that's just IMO.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
well, I don't like bad drops but I have found many , many good drops in my several hundred hours with the game and those good drops are just that much more sweet when they are rare and hard to find. of course, it's a balance .. I want drops to be rare so that they remain exciting but I don't want them to be so rare that I can't find any. personally, I think that blizz has struck a good balance in 1.05. my opinions are only based on my experiences and the experiences of my friends but I am hearing mostly the same thing from those (reliable) sources.
Reply Quote
Your question is leading.

Compare the drops in Diablo 3 to those of Torchlight 2.

In TL2 you can play 1 hour and find 2 legendary drop and 2 set items easily.
In Diablo 3 you can easily play an hour without a legendary/set or interesting rare.

Despite this I prefer Diablo 3. Why? Do I like bad drops?
No.

TL2 showers you items without earning them. They might be called legendary or set but they feel like your every day i63 rare. In other words, the drops don't feel special.

In Diablo 3 the 'good' drops are frustratingly few and far between (especially if you use the AH). This isn't perfect either, but in the end it's actually more fun.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 11/30/2012 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 12:47 PMPosted by KradisZ

I only remember my gear to be near top-gear when it was like 1.0.3. This was when legendaries were non-existant and Rares were dominant in the market. Now then I hear of legendaries dropping left and right and it doesnt even seem to have any sense to have any of the previous Grades of items. (Rare, Magic). Whites and Grays = permanently useless don't even know why they're in the pool. So does that mean the rest is just trash and all we look for is Orange/Maroon text?

At least back then it used to be some Magic items COULD be as useful as a Rare or better in some cases at max level. now its just Legendary.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, but it doesn't look like you understood his point. Looking at your gear you should be finding upgrades all the time.

What is it you actually want (except for loot to not be "bad")?
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 12:49 PMPosted by padako
well, I don't like bad drops but I have found many , many good drops in my several hundred hours with the game and those good drops are just that much more sweet when they are rare and hard to find. of course, it's a balance .. I want drops to be rare so that they remain exciting but I don't want them to be so rare that I can't find any. personally, I think that blizz has struck a good balance in 1.05. my opinions are only based on my experiences and the experiences of my friends but I am hearing mostly the same thing from those (reliable) sources.

Alright cool. Thanks for your honest response. I don't know the perspective, haven't played for a while too busy, no time. Waiting for more updates before trying again. (Like maybe after New Years or May 15 2013. If the game isn't still drastically changing.)
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 12:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

In Diablo 3 you can easily plan an hour without a legendary/set or interesting rare.

No.

TL2 showers you items without earning them. They might be called legendary or set but they feel like your every day i63 rare. In other words, the drops don't feel special.

In Diablo 3 the 'good' drops are frustratingly few and far between (especially if you use the AH). This isn't perfect either, but in the end it's actually more fun.

I'm level 87 in Torchlight 2 and have not found a Legendary once yet. playing elite difficulty. this isn't a TL2 comparison.
I hope you aren't mixing up legendary with UNIQUES in TL2.
Reply Quote

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, but it doesn't look like you understood his point. Looking at your gear you should be finding upgrades all the time.

Nothing much really, if you invest like 20 hours of gameplay into a game you should have at least maybe 1 Best in Slot gear when you're at the peak of your level. (Level 60). MAYBE 1. If not, then something adjacent.

Getting to 60 is like maybe 40 hours? If you start from scratch. then 20 more in for each slot that's quite a lot. Yet nowhere near it. don't forget there's 4 other classes to play afterwards too so that's well over 500+hours just to make it happen on your own.

D3 is really a turnoff here after playing other RPGs because there's no manipulation of your gears ever. It's just replacement. You can tell me to leave all you like but I'm here to discuss not fight with !@#$% saying gtfo.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Zoid

Sums it up nicely.
Reply Quote

Nothing much really, if you invest like 20 hours of gameplay into a game you should have at least maybe 1 Best in Slot gear when you're at the peak of your level. (Level 60). MAYBE 1. If not something adjacent.

Getting to 60 is like maybe 40 hours? If you start from scratch. then 20 more in for each slot that's quite a lot. Yet nowhere near it. don't forget there's 4 other classes to play afterwards too so that's well over 500+hours just to make it happen on your own.

D3 is really a turnoff here after playing other RPGs because there's no manipulation of your gears ever. It's just replacement. You can tell me to leave all you like but I'm here to discuss not fight with !@#$% saying gtfo.

So why do you care if it's "best in slot" anyway? You don't need anything close to best in slot to clear everything there is in this game. In fact, you wouldn't even know what "best in slot" was if you couldn't look at other peoples gear and Blizzard didn't tell you the max roll for each affix.

The whole point of this system is that you can grind forever and still have a chance to find upgrades. If everything you have is "best in slot", there's no point in playing anymore.
Reply Quote

In Diablo 3 you can easily plan an hour without a legendary/set or interesting rare.

No.

I'm level 87 in Torchlight 2 and have not found a Legendary once yet. playing elite difficulty. this isn't a TL2 comparison.

I am. Guess I haven't found a TL2 legendary either.
Reply Quote

I am. Guess I haven't found a TL2 legendary either.

That's what makes it Legendary :).

Uniques and what not are useful in it, but it's not like top of the line jump.
The only problem D3 has is an exponential growth in terms of material and statistics which makes itemization extremely poor in the lower tiers of items (Rares, Magics, Whites, Grays).
That's why I'm so appalled at why so many gamers playing D3 like its "horrible drop/RNG/whateverbadprefixadjectivehere"

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls has some pretty hard drops to get too but the game is hard and still provides usefulness over time and doesn't require 200+ hrs of your time before you re-roll to try a different flavor of a class/build.

Replayability in D3 is almost null. If you think replaying 1-60 is fun again and then 1-100 in paragon you either like a simplistic monotone of a game or you're mad. When I play 1-60 on a different char it just feels like a chore knowing that my other 60 is already at the best it can be with no other choice of development other than grind for an improvement in #s.

If i had to give them a % of usefulness Rares are like 50% Magics 20% whites 5% grays 0.5% and Legendaries 200%
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 11/30/2012 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is that everyone can get to really strong gear for your price range with the GAH, then upgrades become non-existent. You only have near perfect stuff to look forward to as upgrades & those don't drop too often. Also, you can't get any in the GAH because the price jump from strong to near perfect is huge. You actually have to hit a near perfect item & sell it to afford to get a near perfect item on the GAH... or just buy it with cash on the RMAH.
Reply Quote
Why are you complaining when you don't even play the game...
Reply Quote
Finding garbage isn't gratifying.
Finding something good after a decent while is.

Thing is, what's decent?
If you are already far into the game (item wise), the chance of getting something good gets lower and lower.

And there should also be something to DO while not getting better items.
The ability to gather materials to build something, doesn't matter much what it is, but at least the player is gaining something.
D2 did that right imo: gather gems to upgrade, runes for runewords or simply runes to upgrade, finding and crafting that perfect socketed ethereal weapon or armor.. all things you can do while getting no upgrades.

D3 still needs a lot of extras in order to reach that level of enjoyment.

But upgrades shouldn't come falling from the sky by itself.
So, yeah, you SHOULD need to grind to get that feeling of suspense.

11/30/2012 12:57 PMPosted by KradisZ
if you invest like 20 hours of gameplay into a game you should have at least maybe 1 Best in Slot gear when you're at the peak of your level

Ooh, no, that's not Diablo at all.
20 hours is just a warm-up ;)

Seriously, 20 hours of farming (at end-game) should result in something very good for most of the times.
It doesn't have to be a perfect drop, but at least something that is either near perfect (let's call it the 90..97% stuff) or some leg or set item that's at least a minor update to a good one you're already using.

In D3, this can happen, but mostly it doesn't.
The variables are too wide spread.
While 6 stats can be godly, a 7th can be so terrible, the item immediately becomes useless.
Bad design if you ask me.

11/30/2012 12:57 PMPosted by KradisZ
don't forget there's 4 other classes to play afterwards too so that's well over 500+hours just to make it happen on your own

That doesn't have to be something negative.
While levelling or farming with one char, you can find items that are good for another.
Go level a new char, get it to inferno. Once you're there, you could have found something useful for the first char.. and so on.
See it as a party of heroes working together to boost themselfs.

But, as I said above, D3 really needs a few more things to do as to keep the player interested.
Edited by Sjippie#1970 on 11/30/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]