Diablo® III

Spike Trap: Echoing Blast

Hi Guys, I've been seaching all over the forums but can't find the answer I need regarding spike traps EB.

My question: Is it better to spam the traps or place one at a time? I tend to just spam them till I run out of hatred then build up hatred again with bolas.

What is the most efficient way to use it?

cheers!
Reply Quote
My style is if the target moves quite often, just one at a time. If target is stationary, 3 at a time, build hatred, place again, repeat.
Reply Quote
i pop gloom, and lay 3 at a time
Reply Quote
Yup, that's how I do it too (both Lalilulelo and Deathree). So the damage does indeed stack. Do you guys use Marked for Death too? I sometimes use MfD:Grim Reaper for high MP ubers.

I'm in my farming gears right now but have a new nats set for high mp dps.
Reply Quote
Do you guys also have problems with running out of disc especially on the siegebreaker/kulle fight? I'm using nightstalker with new nats (total 66 disc) without prep. Worth it to drop nightstalker for perfectionist and taking up prep?

Gonna try this tonight and see...
Reply Quote
i usually uber 7 or 8 with a party, with my usualy party i dont really need boar and i use mark of death grim reaper with bola imm doom, or when theres another DH i usually have one of us use mark the other use boar

i never run out of disc, cuz generally i face tank when i have my boar or barb take on seige so i can just stand in one place to dps down zk (only using vault to get out of bubbles). i usually tank fireballs when im lazy and just potion up (i have + 12k potion heal) or gloom when potion on cd

and i would suggest u pick prep - back up plan and drop night stalker for perfectionist
Reply Quote
since no one really answered the question yet

NO, you cant spam spike traps if you attack speed is over 1.6 ish or so as you will overwrite them before they can all go off. Can place one only every 1.1 seconds or so to maximize the damage.
Reply Quote
at 1.77 aps i place one trap, fire, place one trap, fire fire, place trap, fire and repeat. Pulling 5x+ sheet dps w/ that approach.
Reply Quote
since no one really answered the question yet

NO, you cant spam spike traps if you attack speed is over 1.6 ish or so as you will overwrite them before they can all go off. Can place one only every 1.1 seconds or so to maximize the damage.

Hmm... my attack speed is indeed over 1.6. It takes the trap 1.2s to arm and we can place 3 traps. I guess the 4th trap would cancel the first one placed. So as long as we only put 3 traps down they won't cancel? I'm not getting what you mean by the 1.6 aps and placing one every 1.1 secs.
Reply Quote
i usually uber 7 or 8 with a party, with my usualy party i dont really need boar and i use mark of death grim reaper with bola imm doom, or when theres another DH i usually have one of us use mark the other use boar

i never run out of disc, cuz generally i face tank when i have my boar or barb take on seige so i can just stand in one place to dps down zk (only using vault to get out of bubbles). i usually tank fireballs when im lazy and just potion up (i have + 12k potion heal) or gloom when potion on cd

and i would suggest u pick prep - back up plan and drop night stalker for perfectionist

That's what I do. I dps down ZK without any issue and usually end up with full disc. Then when I turn to siegebreaker I'd have to pop gloom in order not to die. At times I find myself stopping my dps in order to let my disc regen. I guess prep will probably solve that issue. With 2x full disc I'm sure siegebreaker will be down by then.
Reply Quote
What I do is go into melee range and pop gloom then lay down 3 spike traps. There's no need to spam them as you won't have enough hatred to really spam traps anyway. I don't see attack speed as an issue really.
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 10:04 PMPosted by BeerLeague
at 1.77 aps i place one trap, fire, place one trap, fire fire, place trap, fire and repeat. Pulling 5x+ sheet dps w/ that approach.

5x dps? I'll try that tonight. thanks :)
Reply Quote
you do not want to overwrite an echo..
the initial arm is the slowest (1.2) and clipping a blast wastes hatred....and echos are not that cheap

practice your rotation if you want to maximize

for NON use of custom engineering your optimal scenario is to place 1 echo every 1.067 seconds (3.2/3) your build will need to sustain close to 29 hatred/sec

imagining a timeline of 3.2 seconds - evenly space out 3 echos with hatred generators in between to ensure echos are going of at peak rate (774% weapon/sec) + generation and more DPS

1 shot + 1 echo in 1.067 seconds = 1.87 APS this is a bit of a "break" point
any more APS, (or more importantly) squeezing out another generator shot will lower the max ceiling 774% echo output, but for the sake of generation it may be necessary anyway

the next "break" is 2 shots + 1 echo every 1.067 seconds = 2.81 APS

as for interference in between those two APS, you will need to simply practice and adapt to the game as it happens... however those are the two models to maximize,

depending on the generator you are using there is no need to pause shooting, you might as well try to squeeze a 2nd (if you are over 1.87 aps) or 3rd shot (if you are over 2.81 aps) in and take the drop in echo output

as for those using Custome engi, it is doubtfull you'd ever have enough APS + generation to get the 57/sec needed to try to have a new echo every .534 seconds (3.2/6) (you'd need 3.75 APS!)
so overwriting your echos is going to be nearly impossible
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/4/2012 1:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Since OP is using Legacy Nats, you could perms gloom tank all the way. Round up the mobs, pop gloom and lay spike traps at your feet. For those that tend to run around like succubus and bees use hungering arrow to home them down.

Take note that only whatever damage you dealt after gloom is up only then the life steal is applied. Life steal is still applied to the remaining traps even after the 5s of gloom.
Reply Quote
you do not want to overwrite an echo..
the initial arm is the slowest (1.2) and clipping a blast wastes hatred....and echos are not that cheap

practice your rotation if you want to maximize

for NON use of custom engineering your optimal scenario is to place 1 echo every 1.067 seconds (3.2/3) your build will need to sustain close to 29 hatred/sec

imagining a timeline of 3.2 seconds - evenly space out 3 echos with hatred generators in between to ensure echos are going of at peak rate (774% weapon/sec) + generation and more DPS

1 shot + 1 echo in 1.067 seconds = 1.87 APS this is a bit of a "break" point
any more APS, (or more importantly) squeezing out another generator shot will lower the max ceiling 774% echo output, but for the sake of generation it may be necessary anyway

the next "break" is 2 shots + 1 echo every 1.067 seconds = 2.81 APS

as for interference in between those two APS, you will need to simply practice and adapt to the game as it happens... however those are the two models to maximize,

depending on the generator you are using there is no need to pause shooting, you might as well try to squeeze a 2nd (if you are over 1.87 aps) or 3rd shot (if you are over 2.81 aps) in and take the drop in echo output

as for those using Custome engi, it is doubtfull you'd ever have enough APS + generation to get the 57/sec needed to try to have a new echo every .534 seconds (3.2/6) (you'd need 3.75 APS!)
so overwriting your echos is going to be nearly impossible

That's right, you should lay down traps in between 1-2 shoots.
Reply Quote
So if I spam 3 traps, they all land on the ground, so why do they cancel out? If one starts exploding, does it automatically cancel all un activated yet laid traps? Bit confused.
Reply Quote
No, they don't cancel each other out. It's just much much harder to get your timing down correctly if you start off by spamming the traps. Also, it's horribly inefficient to spam three traps, wait for them all to explode and then spam 3 more, you lose a ton of dps that way
Reply Quote
i'm not getting this 1-2shot then trap then repeat rinse combo..

i always lay down 3 traps at once.. if im not mistaken, it only takes me ~1.5sec to lay all 3 traps @ 2.38aspd... not really sure if i understand what you guys are saying
Reply Quote
for SB after zk, i let my hp drop close to 20% then pop gloom lay 3 traps (instantly heals me) and repeat lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]