Diablo® III

Banning Botters Movement!!!

Dear Monet,

Thank you for your deep insight. I am please to say that you have allowed myself to do some self reflecting and I have reaized that there is somthing terribly wrong with myself. I am now currently seeking councelling to solve my personal issues. Thank you for enlightening me, I am truly please you spoke up and spewed wisdom that has never touched me like those words have. I bless you sir.

Regards,

Misc xoxo

-sad titanic violon music-

Do you keep this text on your computer a copy paste every time someone says something personal about you.
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 10:09 AMPosted by Senti
The funny thing is everyone says "oversaturated" softcore auction house. The thing is each account can only put up ten things on the AH. How do you become oversaturated? It's not like I can put an infinite amount of items up for auction, constantly adding more and more to the AH supply. The supply is limited to the number of accounts. So, if all the botters were to play legit, the same amount of items would be up on the AH.

... dude are you for real? It can be saturated with quantity and it can be saturated with quality of items also are you so naive to think botters have only 1 account running at a time? How would they play legit on 10 or 50 accounts simultanously?

I think it's safe to say that there are not as many botting companies as you think that run 50+ bots per. A lot of gold selling websites are owned by the same entity. A lot of the botters are people like you and I who just feel the need to cheat because they don't feel the game rewarding enough without it. You see it all the time with "my friend bots but...", "I have a friend who bots.." etc. God, in D2, I think I was the only person on my FL that didn't bot.

But anyway, the amount that is removed if you banned all botters is negligible to the amount that still remains from the legitimate players. You will see a minimal difference. Actually, you will see no difference in price of mediocre items, as I said, because nobody needs them anymore and the top-end items will increase in price due to the slightly less availability, making them even harder to obtain. Show me otherwise if you disagree.
Edited by Yura#2182 on 11/21/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Could you, Blizzard, then maybe publish every now and then some general stats about how many cheaters, botters and other exploiters were banned for a limited time, and how many got a perma ban?

Many legit players feel there are a lot of people cheating, botting etc. Maybe you can say something about that as well.

So we get an idea what's going on. I mean it is a good thing to ban cheaters etc! Make it known! I'll be positive publicity for Blizzard.

And please don't implement anymore legit player unfriendly things to battle cheaters, botters etc. Just insta perma ban them.
Reply Quote
Bump, We should do this every day spend about 15 minutes catching bots each of us and reporting them. Bump~!~
Reply Quote
yo yo yo Monet,

Let me spit sum truf 4 u. U dun no me bro. Iz jus sayin. Chu jus gota chillax. U naw wha im sayin? I dun needz nah fruty vilian muzix. U herd me? Jus speekin my foughts, den you go and hate. no need bro, no need.

Regards,

your one and only
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Lylirra is one of the only really respected blues, but her response to botting (which I am sure is primarily scripted from management) is extremely weak. Botters and spammers have run rampant since week 1 and from what not only I can tell, but the majority of community as well, is that Blizzard has done very little to actually control, or eliminate them

Not scripted. Not from management. What I wrote is based on my own experiences working at this company for over 6 years. I know almost each and every member of our anti-hack team personally, and I can speak first-hand as to how seriously they treat their role. They work long hours, they invest themselves completely, and they rarely get any praise for what they do because their job is never done. Yesterday, I spoke with one of the guys on the team for over an hour about how difficult and frustrating it is to keep up with all the different ways that players want to exploit the game. You find a certain kind of automation program and get rid of it, another pops up in its place, and now it's even harder to detect. Or you know that some players are using a particular type of bot based on intuition and experience on the job, but you can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Permanently banning a Diablo III license isn't something we take lightly, and there's a lot more that goes into actioning someone for botting than what meets the eye. (Yes, kind of like Transformers, but fortunately with less Shia LeBouf.)

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though). On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

But we agree with you: it's not enough. Of course, we're not sure that what we can do will ever be enough (we don't know if we can eliminate exploitative behavior completely), but we're willing to try. It's an ongoing battle, though, not something you win after a couple of quick matches.
Reply Quote
I can't help but to have noticed that Blizzard has taken a two-pronged approach to quiet the general outrage that a great majority of the legit players are feeling about D3: concerning their lack of ability to bring the rampant botting practices back down to some reasonable level...maybe even to a level where we're not seeing bots everywhere, all the time, and gold being flooded into the game exponentially.

My opinion is, that this "way overdue and late arrival blue post," which said basically nothing...is just more PR speak, and not real speak.

Real speak would sound more like this:

"hey guys, you're right and it's a very big task that we're fully engaged in...*and* here's how we're going to make it evident to all of you, just how serious we take this infraction/infestation that's so prevalent, and works so incidiouly against our legitimate players...against those who have been trusting us to do well by them!..."

"Well, we're now going to become way more transparent about our efforts in combating botting!...and, we're even going to publish our efforts, the data, which we've never done before!..."

"This is to convince you guys who are still playing fair, and to help prevent you from getting too discouraged by all those cheaters on our own forums, and also, out there on the internet...all those miscreants who are flaunting all their ill-gotten gains right back in your face, and calling you a "loser" for not botting...well, we've just realized now: that if we don't do at least a minimal level of out front and transparent enforcement, then you might not end up buying any of of future products!"

Nice job for your long awaited first "blues" response: "Yes, we've decided to minimize all your "botting" treads into just one thread, just like the soviets used to do, but don't worry about it, you can trust us, we're really working overtime to stop all of this!"

Maybe you are and may you aren't.

Your "corporate speak" pretty much leaves us all feeling a bit flat, feeling stepped on, and still wanting you to provide us with some REAL EVIDENCE!

But, at least you tried a tiny tiny bit, if that's all that that was.
Reply Quote
I think i have to agree with Lylirra here ... it seems that most ppl on this forum are oversimplifying a very complicated situation with "one size fits all" solutions like CAPTCHAs.

the fact is, as long as there is money to be made from botting, the botters will find a way to work around any and all security measures that are put in place. and no, you don't need an RMAH to make profits from botting.
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
Lylirra is one of the only really respected blues, but her response to botting (which I am sure is primarily scripted from management) is extremely weak. Botters and spammers have run rampant since week 1 and from what not only I can tell, but the majority of community as well, is that Blizzard has done very little to actually control, or eliminate them

Not scripted. Not from management. What I wrote is based on my own experiences working at this company for over 6 years. I know almost each and every member of our anti-hack team personally, and I can speak first-hand as to how seriously they treat their role. They work long hours, they invest themselves completely, and they rarely get any praise for what they do because their job is never done. Yesterday, I spoke with one of the guys on the team for over an hour about how difficult and frustrating it is to keep up with all the different ways that players want to exploit the game. You find a certain kind of automation program and get rid of it, another pops up in its place, and now it's even harder to detect. Or you know that some players are using a particular type of bot based on intuition and experience on the job, but you can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Permanently banning a Diablo III license isn't something we take lightly, and there's a lot more that goes into actioning someone for botting than what meets the eye. (Yes, kind of like Transformers, but fortunately with less Shia LeBouf.)

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though). On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

But we agree with you: it's not enough. Of course, we're not sure that what we can do will ever be enough (we don't know if we can eliminate exploitative behavior completely), but we're willing to try. It's an ongoing battle, though, not something you win after a couple of quick matches.

We posted almost simultaneously!
If you really want to become more transparent, then I'm 100% willing to wait and see if you really mean it.
I truly appreciate that you have spoken out!
Reply Quote
nice last blue reply
Reply Quote

You forgot something:

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Edit:
Just wanted to add an actual "Thanks!" - some of us that understand and appreciate the work involved are not always the most vocal on the forums.
Edited by LockeDown#1547 on 11/21/2012 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
A wonderful post by Lylirra and despite all the whining and complaining here, I believe most players do appreciate Blizzard and their games.

I do not doubt that Blizzard is working very hard, around the clock to combat botting and other exploits and it is a high priority. But we do have to look at results. The fact is that botting has not decreased over the past few months and it is getting worse with as high as 80% of the friends list of some people (even popular personalities e.g. Krip) are botting 24/7. It is obvious that the path Blizzard has taken to date is not effective at all.

I sincerely hope Blizzard can come up with a solution that almost completely eliminates botting or it could have very adverse effects on the long term viability of the game.
Reply Quote
A wonderful post by Lylirra and despite all the whining and complaining here, I believe most players do appreciate Blizzard and their games.

I do not doubt that Blizzard is working very hard, around the clock to combat botting and other exploits and it is a high priority. But we do have to look at results. The fact is that botting has not decreased over the past few months and it is getting worse with as high as 80% of the friends list of some people (even popular personalities e.g. Krip) are botting 24/7. It is obvious that the path Blizzard has taken to date is not effective at all.

I sincerely hope Blizzard can come up with a solution that almost completely eliminates botting or it could have very adverse effects on the long term viability of the game.

Thank you MoralHazzard!
You completely nailed it.
Reply Quote
An important thing to keep in mind is that we don't make public announcements every time we action players for cheating, and the reason for this is that we are constantly removing this kind of exploitative behavior from the game -- on a weekly basis, sometimes even on daily basis. Public announcements would become tedious if we decided to make one every single time we banned someone for using a bot, a hack, or some other kind of cheat. Instead, we usually will post something whenever we issue a big wave, or whenever we feel like we need to remind players that exploitative behavior is not okay and can lead to a permanent ban from Diablo III.

It's something we take very seriously, though. Our developers, support staff, and anti-hack teams are all busting their butts to ensure that your online experience is as free of cheats, hacks, and bots as possible. From the development side, we look at ways to reduce the effects of exploitative behavior on the community and/or prevent certain programs from working outright. This trick here is to make sure that whatever we do doesn't negatively impact legitimate players, which is actually a very fine tightrope to walk (you saw the complications of that whenever we introduced game limiting). From the support side, we make sure that your in-game reports reach our anti-hacks teams. And from the anti-hack side, we take action on players that we are able to confirm to be maliciously exploiting the game, be it through botting or other forms of cheating.

The reality to all of this, though, is that even though we devote considerable time, effort, and heart to removing bad behavior from the game, there will always be individuals who excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight. If you want to pitch in, you can; the easiest way to do so is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or submitting a report through our http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html" class="bml-link-url2">webform</a>.

And, just for clarity, let me repeat:

- Exploitative behavior is not okay (this includes botting).
- If you are found to be exploiting the game, you can be permanently banned.
- Source: <a href="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-exploitation-policy

Thanks. Actually I notice Blizzard's actions very well. And everything you say is true for sure. I noticed a drop in public bots for example. And on the ohter hand I noticed individuals with very exceptional "ways / workarounds".
Reply Quote

Publish data
or
Make anti hack,bot team
or
Give us timeframe when you are going to implement solution
or
Let someone responsible(hello Jay Wilson are you still hiding in Orion system just 56ligh years away from your customers?)

Tell us what are you GOING TO DO. I dont want to hear more of that crap its a long process, we are trying bla bla bla..you are the developers. You had more than 6 months now to come up with solution.
Tell us how much is RMAH makign and how much are you giving back to game.

You know blizzard just had most profitable quater ever. 850M$ ..how about you take ..lets say...1M$ dollars and give job to like 50 persons who will ban bots 8hrs/day. Oh wait, not gonna happen.

P.S.

Stop telling us how its hard for certain people to do their job.

Lady at the grocery store..omg its so hard to count money NOT SAYING THAT
Man at PC servis ... omg its so hard to build new computer NOT SAYING THAT
Chinese rice farmer working 14HRS/day..omg its so hard...NOT SAYING THAT
Lyllira omg its so hard to battle the bots - CHECK
Blizzard made up anti hack person(living in Lylliras head) omg its so hard to do my job-CHECK

I dont care about their or yours felling. I want game without bots. Do something about it.
Edited by Revan#2822 on 11/21/2012 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
If they actually try to implement captchas, then and only then can you take a side for or against it. I've yet to see it in any of their games. If it works, awesome. If not, at least it's one more hurdle that bot programmers have to get around. Does it hurt legitimate players? That depends on your position of the way it's implemented. But at least it would be a starting point.

Sorry, gotta cut this reply short. dvylk wants to add me to his buddy list and Blizzard01 needs me for a trade...

You my friend are one very smart dude, and your humor quotient is even higher than your intellect! Well done!
Reply Quote
BUMP
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Jiblethead
BUMP

This whole thread is such a !@#$ing shame resting on blizzards head. Where is someone responsible?

P.S.

I am %^-*ing laughing when I remember how could you cancel auctions setting your computer time back.
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Revan
BUMP

This whole thread is such a !@#$ing shame resting on blizzards head. Where is someone responsible?

P.S.

I am %^-*ing laughing when I remember how could you cancel auctions setting your computer time back.

Hmm...since you seem to have 0 elite kills, 0 kills at all...I'm wondering why you're even posting? Are you just flotsam or are you jetsam?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]