Diablo® III

Banning Botters Movement!!!

Insidiously? Anywho, I play all the time and have only seen one bot and I was able to identify him immediately. The point I am making is that you people are blowing this out of proportion. The game is not 90% bots, I doubt it is even 35% bots. Keep a friends list and if you see botters in there report them, voila, botters account is flagged and will be removed as soon as Blizzard verifies the guy is a bot.

xD you can keep dreaming and live on your pony world, reality is too tough for you.
Reply Quote

Ummmm this happens a lot you moron. When I used to play wow, before i had kids i was working 60 hours a week and had saturday - sunday off i would play 15-20 hours over the weekend 5-12 hours at a time but ONLY on those 2 days.

You are another example of a moronic one size fits all solution that is STUPID. Good solutions are not so simple as you think.

Enjoy your report for flaming Osirisis.
That said, most people that play a so huge amount of straight hours are bots.
I don't undestand you, are you telling me that you'd be bother from the insertion of 5 letters every 6 hours?
Reply Quote
some of my botter friends ingame are banned, both from US and Asia region, thanks blizzard
Reply Quote
I don't understand how you people can't see why blizzard handles bots the way they do. They WANT people botting. Why wouldn't they? More RMAH money obviously. My guess is they won't just ban a random Joe schmo botting 1 account either because that's only one game dude is gonna re buy.

They're most likely banning people running 5+ accounts at once, knowing full well that all it means is another 5 copies purchased at 59.99, and months more of gear being pumped into the AH. And they won't do it too frequently, they don't want the guy saying "Damn they ban too often, this isn't worth my time and isn't profitable enough, I'm not buying anymore copies."

Blizzard WANTS people botting. They will never say it, but it's painfully obvious. If you were high up at blizzard and someone offered you these two choices, what would you do?

Choice number one: We can hire dozens if not hundreds of extra people to keep the game 100% bot and exploit free OR.

Choice number two: We can run a skeleton crew of "anti hack" employees, saving hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in wages and benefits, only ban people using 5+ accounts at once and only every few months, and make literally MILLIONS of dollars from botters re buying copies of the game and pouring items into the RMAH.

As a business model, it seems pretty obvious to me what the best choice is here. :)
Reply Quote
tl;dr, sounds legit, let us know if blizz hires you.
Reply Quote
Probable botter showing off this morning in game...
http://i48.tinypic.com/4vheki.png

Not impossible with that many legs in one night, but fishy when only using disposable gear, 170m gold picked up and 42k elites killed.... The reason for not botting is what exactly? =/
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Lylirra
Public announcements would become tedious if we decided to make one every single time we banned someone for using a bot, a hack, or some other kind of cheat.

This could easily be an automated posting when the ban or suspension occurs have the btag posted to a "suspicious" activity list. Bans in red, Suspensions in yellow, Appealed and re-activated green with reason posted. "Botting, exploit, harassment, spam, etc"

We post and reveal the names of criminals, etc in our local and national news to protect people but also as a way to remind us that people do get caught and held accountable.

The public would know people are consistently being actioned for botting/spamming etc and stop questioning it, there would be no need for public announcements for small or large ban waves, could help deter others from starting the same activities. I don't know, maybe I'm overlooking something cause it seems too easy.
Reply Quote
Id be interested to hear some kindof official estimate of how prevelant botting actually is.
Reply Quote

On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

Ok so you're against CAPTCHA because it hurts the legitimate player base. Sounds like a decent argument. Oh wait:

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though).

Every single feat here has impacted the legitimate player base in a much more severe way than a CAPTCHA every few hours of playtime ever would.
Adding a CAPTCHA wouldnt change the game. It's just a slight annoyance every now and then whereas every accomplishment you seem so proud of has majorly changed the game - it's in a whole other league of changes.

Dont get me wrong, im sure there are great reasons to not add CAPTCHA, you just didnt present them.
Reply Quote
It's like the police. They will keep telling you that they are doing a thankless job and are hard at work keeping you safe. But it's not enough to publish statistics showing crime rates going down.

The feeling that your neighborhood is safe isn't something announcements/assurances can bring about. You just feel safe, or you don't.

And at the moment, while bots aren't tearing at my skin, I feel them everywhere. Seems they're increasing in number. No amount of blue font can assure me otherwise.

To be fair though, it really is a thankless job. Just that, the feeling that the more you try to explain, the more it seems there's something to hide. Maybe it's just me. I don't think you inspire confidence on your work concerning bots when even the player trade system abuses go unattended for this long.
Reply Quote
ban bots
botters buy more accounts
blizzard gets more money

i believe that alone settles this debacle.
Reply Quote
"exploitative behavior is not okay and can lead to a permanent ban from Diablo III. "

Dont just ban their D3 account BAN THEIR IP BAN THEIR WOW BAN THEIR STARCRAFT 2 END THIS BS!!!
Reply Quote
I've been chasing after uber keys for so long, I'm pretty sure I've turned into a bot myself.
Reply Quote
i didn't know we could find bots in pub games!! haven't played a pub game for months... which act do we look in ?
Reply Quote
most bots will target specifc quests like act 3 q1-end of keep dephts and then leave its easy to tell just throw down crap legendaries like black mushroom or watever and watch them scramble for them or notice how they only ever use flags to get anywhere they will even try to click your flag when you are in town its funny

if you start a new act 3 game they will just wait for you to run into skycrown and instantly teleport on you when you enter skycrown using your flag

watch the way they play do they ever use any speed up/teleport skills? maby try talking with them all kinds of ways to tell if they are a bot maby not strong evidence by htemselves but put together one can be fairly certain
Edited by Abacus#1452 on 11/23/2012 10:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
I reported a bot but sadly nothing was done about it.
Reply Quote
Have you guys ever thought of how Blizzard goes through bans people from the game.

If I were going to ban someone I would have too look at the entire account from bottom to top, through every grain of sand they ever spent into the game.

EX:
# of games they have been in.
What they did in the game, i.e abilities used compared to past games.
How many times they clicked/ held the left mouse button down compared to past games.
How many times they died compared to past games.
How slow their game is running compared to past games.
How long they take to complete levels compared to past games.

I could go on, and on but i'm not going to poor you with the details as these are just a few ways I would go through if I was going to ban someones account.

Banning someones account is a very serious matter, if anything Blizzard takes it very seriously, and probably isn't proud that they have to do it.

Yes it's for your piece of mind that they should show it, but then again it also makes them look bad by showing how many people they baned, and who they baned. No?

If this is such a big deal to you guys, and you can't help but complain, create pointless posts over something Blizzard is definitely aware of, and is doing their best to fix without their true player base getting hurt then please put forth ideas that can help them, or quit posting such useless posts please. Thank you.

If you want to be a big help, and get rid of botters that are apparently in every game you play like you say then record your secessions of you playing, and watch what the bottter is doing and then upload it to blizzard. I'm sure they wont need any more proof other than that.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Bamp.
Reply Quote
[quote]

I agree which is why I think they should IP ban them

don't have any figures, but I would bet that most of the botters have a dhcp based internet connection, and do not have a static IP address, so "IP Ban" would never, ever work.

Anyways, does anyone that isn't a bot play this anymore? I'd be shocked if anyone that isn't a bot is playing this game.
Reply Quote

On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

Ok so you're against CAPTCHA because it hurts the legitimate player base. Sounds like a decent argument. Oh wait:

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though).

Every single feat here has impacted the legitimate player base in a much more severe way than a CAPTCHA every few hours of playtime ever would.
Adding a CAPTCHA wouldnt change the game. It's just a slight annoyance every now and then whereas every accomplishment you seem so proud of has majorly changed the game - it's in a whole other league of changes.

Dont get me wrong, im sure there are great reasons to not add CAPTCHA, you just didnt present them.

THIS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]