Diablo® III

Banning Botters Movement!!!

An important thing to keep in mind is that we don't make public announcements every time we action players for cheating, and the reason for this is that we are constantly removing this kind of exploitative behavior from the game -- on a weekly basis, sometimes even on daily basis. Public announcements would become tedious if we decided to make one every single time we banned someone for using a bot, a hack, or some other kind of cheat. Instead, we usually will post something whenever we issue a big wave, or whenever we feel like we need to remind players that exploitative behavior is not okay and can lead to a permanent ban from Diablo III.

It's something we take very seriously, though. Our developers, support staff, and anti-hack teams are all busting their butts to ensure that your online experience is as free of cheats, hacks, and bots as possible. From the development side, we look at ways to reduce the effects of exploitative behavior on the community and/or prevent certain programs from working outright. This trick here is to make sure that whatever we do doesn't negatively impact legitimate players, which is actually a very fine tightrope to walk (you saw the complications of that whenever we introduced game limiting). From the support side, we make sure that your in-game reports reach our anti-hacks teams. And from the anti-hack side, we take action on players that we are able to confirm to be maliciously exploiting the game, be it through botting or other forms of cheating.

The reality to all of this, though, is that even though we devote considerable time, effort, and heart to removing bad behavior from the game, there will always be individuals who excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight. If you want to pitch in, you can; the easiest way to do so is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or submitting a report through our http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html" class="bml-link-url2">webform</a>.

And, just for clarity, let me repeat:

- Exploitative behavior is not okay (this includes botting).
- If you are found to be exploiting the game, you can be permanently banned.
- Source: <a href="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-exploitation-policy

Useless pile of text. No facts. No nothing. PR lies ftw
Reply Quote
I thought most of the bots were solo
Reply Quote
I think Bots would be a little less effective if the maps were more random. Granted it would make legit farming take a little longer but it would also make the game more enjoyable to a degree since it wouldn't be the same humdrum runs every single time.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Lylirra
If you want to pitch in, you can; the easiest way to do so is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or submitting a report through our http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html" class="bml-link-url2">webform</a>.

Or your devs could off their lazy fat asses and in the least added a "Report Bot/Hack/Cheat" to the in game report menu. But it's all good you've shown that the real threat is naughty user names and battle tags.
Reply Quote
The method that blizzard employs to ban botters is utterly useless. I know someone who was a massive botter. Made 10k AUD. Everytime blizzard ban one account, he just use the money already made to buy another one and start again. All it does it slow them down. It doesn't stop them at all.
Reply Quote
An important thing to keep in mind is that we don't make public announcements every time we action players for cheating, and the reason for this is that we are constantly removing this kind of exploitative behavior from the game -- on a weekly basis, sometimes even on daily basis. Public announcements would become tedious if we decided to make one every single time we banned someone for using a bot, a hack, or some other kind of cheat. Instead, we usually will post something whenever we issue a big wave, or whenever we feel like we need to remind players that exploitative behavior is not okay and can lead to a permanent ban from Diablo III.

It's something we take very seriously, though. Our developers, support staff, and anti-hack teams are all busting their butts to ensure that your online experience is as free of cheats, hacks, and bots as possible. From the development side, we look at ways to reduce the effects of exploitative behavior on the community and/or prevent certain programs from working outright. This trick here is to make sure that whatever we do doesn't negatively impact legitimate players, which is actually a very fine tightrope to walk (you saw the complications of that whenever we introduced game limiting). From the support side, we make sure that your in-game reports reach our anti-hacks teams. And from the anti-hack side, we take action on players that we are able to confirm to be maliciously exploiting the game, be it through botting or other forms of cheating.

The reality to all of this, though, is that even though we devote considerable time, effort, and heart to removing bad behavior from the game, there will always be individuals who excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight. If you want to pitch in, you can; the easiest way to do so is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or submitting a report through our http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/submit/hacks.html" class="bml-link-url2">webform</a>.

- Source: <a href="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-exploitation-policy

Useless pile of text. No facts. No nothing. PR lies ftw

Yup it's pathetic as usual from Blizzard. Have to feel bad for the blue though. You realize they're just a nameless voice for a company that cares about neither them as a person nor the product they're having that person push.

But you cheer and cheer because oh a blue actually posted. Did you know blue is a calming color used to relax idiots? IE why IE is blue, facebook is blue, twitter is blue, skype is blue, shall I go on? You're all brainwashed and it's adorable.
Reply Quote
Hi guys, I also realise the botting issue is becoming a little out of control. A friend of mine quit playing last night because he is sick of runing into bots all the time, before he quit he gave me all his gears ;-)

I was thinking if we could start a movement where all the legit players go play on a pubic game for 15 minutes every time they log into the game and actively report a few botters to blizzard, hoepfully it'll get billizzard's attention and reduce the severity of this situation.

Thanks

Bump this if you are not a botter

Pubic.... lol...

...and bump I suppose!
Reply Quote
Just asking buy are we 'allowed' to sell an item for cheap on the AH so the price of the last 10 trades drops so we can buy it back at a larger amount for cheaper than the original price?
Reply Quote
Lylirra is one of the only really respected blues, but her response to botting (which I am sure is primarily scripted from management) is extremely weak. Botters and spammers have run rampant since week 1 and from what not only I can tell, but the majority of community as well, is that Blizzard has done very little to actually control, or eliminate them.

It's a shame that the forums are only a place to vent, but not really be heard. Blizz, if the community want more metrics on what you've done for banning, then provide them. I feel like at every turn, we get shafted when asked for information. I understand that it is not in the interest of the shareholders to divulge the information that may show D3's overwhelming weaknesses, but shareholders will be a lot more upset when people stop buying Blizz games altogether.
Reply Quote
wait, there is an anti-hack team?! lol oh man, if they even spent a fraction of their time playing the game i bet they could ban a whole lot more.

There have already been so many people addressing how easily blizzard can find people who bot 24/7. How is it they don't see how long one account has been playing? This team of yours, perhaps they only get employed part time. Need to up your game bliz, botters have been getting the upper hand for quite some time. I figure u can use a portion of the millions of dollars you've made into addressing this.
Reply Quote
View profile

The reality to all of this, though, is that even though we devote considerable time, effort, and heart to removing bad behavior from the game, there will always be individuals who excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight. If you want to pitch in, you can; the easiest way to do so is by emailing hacks@blizzard.com or submitting a report through our webform.

- Source:

THANK YOU.
Can I suggest an easier way to report.
If you right click on a player you can report for Spam, Harassment and I don't remember what else.

Is that mechanism valid for reporting botters? If not can an option be added for "Cheating" or something like that?
Reply Quote
Cmon guys, take a little initiative here @@#$
If you have a friend request you dont know, decline, not hard
If you see some spam in a particular channel, report spam, again not hard
You can also not be in the channel, only join games with friends or ASK for people in a channel for a game etc

I would like to ask however that blizzard ban the use of any name with bliz in it. Ive heard many stories now about people pretending to be reps and using that name. Save half the headaches right there by disallowing that string of characters.

Keep in mind guys that everytime someone is reported, they have to look into it. Cant just take someones word that someone is a botter/hacker/exploiter. There are a lot of jerks out there that would peg someone as such just because they're upset or something....
Reply Quote
Botter is not a problem. The problem is the game.

If they didn't create the game around AH, where you cannot move ahead w/o using AH, then botting is a none issue. Remember "old" inferno A3, where you need the absolute highest resists, armor to able to survive. If you were a barb (b4 ww build was discovered), you need 1200 resist, 8k (prefer 10k) armor after warcry to tank. For resist, that's 800 from 12 items or average 67 resist all from each item. How you are going to find those yourself??

D2 botting and duping is a major problem, but it didn't affect game play. Because if you spend 100 hour farming, you will find yourself a nice set of gears you can do hell a5. Here in D3, you can spend 1000 hours, and you still don't find a nice item w/o gear yourself up from Ah.
Reply Quote
I've reported many bots during my time in both WoW and Diablo III. Most of the time, I get a privacy statement regarding such a report. And in a lot of cases, they seem to wait a long amount of time to build up a massive banwave. While I understand finding the root of the evil, we can all agree that this hasn't been a very effective means of extinguishing the flame thus far.

Personally, I think that Blizzard should have actual reps that investigate any flagged account, on a regular basis, and take appropriate action. If you can make them spend more than they're making on accounts, they'll stop doing it. Simply talking to many people would be enough to see that they're botting. In fact, there are very few bots that aren't completely obvious.

TL;DR: A little initiative goes a long way.

Cheers.

-Straag-
Reply Quote
Bot mods! ... summon them to games ... they make a video of the bot not responding ... post on youtube for open evidence ... once the word gets out .. itl put the fear into em.
Reply Quote
Thank you Lylirra. Hopefully everyone can shut up about bots for now.

(more specifically, everyone crying about CMs not acknowledging bots)

The problem isn't acknowledging bots the problem is dealing with the ones that have been reported.

Right now there is someone on my friends list that has been botting since June. I know, they're my friend and brag about it all the time. Their account is logged in 24/7, he has about 1.5B gold split across his 3 accounts that he now bots and has not had a single one banned.

It's crap like this that people are sick of. I have reported him, other people have reported him and yet I can see him right now running Hell in GF gear, same as last week, same as last month.
Reply Quote

Yup it's pathetic as usual from Blizzard. Have to feel bad for the blue though. You realize they're just a nameless voice for a company that cares about neither them as a person nor the product they're having that person push.

But you cheer and cheer because oh a blue actually posted. Did you know blue is a calming color used to relax idiots? IE why IE is blue, facebook is blue, twitter is blue, skype is blue, shall I go on? You're all brainwashed and it's adorable.

Best post in whole tread.

I realize they are just nameless voice for blizzard company. But so were !@#$ soldiers for %^-* germany. Hey we are just soldiers you know we are just taking orders, we didnt know there were the camps ...ye sure.

If you are a blue and did not know it, let me tell you:

You are taking mone for lying into people eyes. You are purposely mystificating and manipulating us. And i think you know it, but you keep telling yourself thats the PR job and its not really that bad . Well it is that bad and unjustifiable. Not really sure how can you live withyourself. Well atleast we dont have that "arent you gratefull" "chat is ingame" "chat is not in game" " no really chat is ingame" "unique items will be differrent on launch person" here anymore.

edit:

its funny how N_A_Z_I is censured while i am just talking about the term from historic view and gold selling sites arent censured at all. All that on a pc game website :-)
Edited by Revan#2822 on 11/21/2012 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello from Mother Russia - the same problem here. Just typing /who into local russian chat and see more and more hieroglyph BattleTags. Then look for strange names - fgh45 and other.
1) One char on account with "not bad" paragon
2) Goldskin equipped
3) Pass only Hell level
And there is 1/3 of that`s type (
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]