Diablo® III

Toad Question

Why do lots of people use Rain of Toads?

There has to be something I'm missing because I find Splinters and/or Pyrogeist to be more effective. It could just be personal preference, but I just don't think it's that great of a skill.

It HAS to be good, though, for 1 in every 3 WD's I see using it.

So, please... why use Rain of Toads?

And while we're at it, why use Corpse Spiders? (Same deal - I see a lot of people using it and I don't know why)
Reply Quote
Rain of Toads - it is one of the best proc spells the WD has. It procs LoH well (acid rain is even better, but RoT costs barely any mana). Plus I think you can use it when trapped behind a waller (can't remember if true).

Corpse spider - because you don't need to aim as fine tuned as splinters... plus some of the runes are very good (the mana one for even more mana return, etc.). Plus each "bite" a spider does refreshes Vision Quest... thus corpse Spider prolongs VQ longer than usual (spider queen even more so).
Reply Quote
Hi,
As far as killing time for single target, I did a test to see what's best:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004407721?page=4#74

As can be seen in the spreadsheet, RoT does more single target damage than Splinters.
RoT has a much better life on hit/proc rate.
RoT can be cast anywhere on the screen and includes an instant hit mechanism, which is good for breaking stuff as well as having a chance to freeze/stun before the first toad even falls.
RoT has a very fast cast animation. It attacks about 1.5 times faster than splinters, iirc.
Reply Quote
Hi,
As far as killing time for single target, I did a test to see what's best:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004407721?page=4#74

As can be seen in the spreadsheet, RoT does more single target damage than Splinters.
RoT has a much better life on hit/proc rate.
RoT can be cast anywhere on the screen and includes an instant hit mechanism, which is good for breaking stuff as well as having a chance to freeze/stun before the first toad even falls.
RoT has a very fast cast animation. It attacks about 1.5 times faster than splinters, iirc.

Very detailed and informative spreadsheet!
I'll take your word for it, since some of it is over my head, but thank you very much!

My profile hasn't updated recently, but there are only a few changes:
Blood Ritual > GF
Zombie Dogs > Garg (Bruiser)

I like the way my skill setup is now, but I'll try out RoT for a while and see how it suits me.

In the mean time: any suggestions for my character? (I'm working on getting a Witching Hour)
Reply Quote
Have you considered a Thing of the Deep? I see you get the 2p bonus for the Knife/Mojo, but it isn't all that great. Unless you are on the search for a better chicken mojo, I think the mana/maxmana/CC would help greatly from a TotD (plus the 20 PuR). Then perhaps sell your current gloves (with the pick up radius) for something more offensive... like high int, CC and CD. As well as sell your belt for one with All Resist.
Reply Quote
Toads is awesome for high MP levels once you have enough sustain. If you have enough LoH and LS you can just stand there and spam bears while dumping toads on yourself while healing/proc'ing VQ. Since it's AOE it will hit everyone attacking you. It's one of the best skills for VQ because it keeps dumping toads for a few seconds after you stop attacking, keeping VQ up without costing any mana. I was also fortunate enough to find a pretty awesome Mara's with toad damage. I switched from darts after 1.0.4 and never looked back.

Edit: Here is the build I use with RoT.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfUdXT!acU!bcacYc

For ubers I just swap SH with Hex/Jinx.
Edited by MikeHoncho#1169 on 11/28/2012 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Wootytooty
Have you considered a Thing of the Deep? I see you get the 2p bonus for the Knife/Mojo, but it isn't all that great. Unless you are on the search for a better chicken mojo, I think the mana/maxmana/CC would help greatly from a TotD (plus the 20 PuR). Then perhaps sell your current gloves (with the pick up radius) for something more offensive... like high int, CC and CD. As well as sell your belt for one with All Resist.

Off-hand:
I have been thinking a lot about a TotD, but the ones that are worth buying are way out of my price range (I'm rather lacking in gold as I'm more casual than I'd like to be). Also, I like the extra INT from Manaj's set bonus. I know there are ways to work around it, but until I am able to put on a worthwhile TotD and see how it works, I'm having trouble parting with the extra INT.

Gloves:
Ya, I agree. The gloves are probably the last thing I will change unless I can find something really good (and relatively cheap). I mostly have those just for the INT, VIT, and Crit Chance. I'll defintely keep my eyes open for ones with CD, as well.

Belt:
If at all possible, I'm going to try for a Witching Hour. Those seem amazing to me. Though, if I can find something similar, I'll do that instead.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take it to heart when looking for upgrades!

Toads is awesome for high MP levels once you have enough sustain.

Edit: Here is the build I use with RoT.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfUdXT!acU!bcacYc

Thanks for the advice and the build suggestion! I'll try it out!
Edited by Vile#1536 on 11/28/2012 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]