First off I also play Torchlight II and WC3 custom maps and that is where a large portion of the ideas here comes from.
For starts there needs to be a recipe (something like infernal machine, but we will call it Random Dungeon Scroll for the sake of this post) that you can spawn a one time use item that opens a portal that gives a randomly generated dungeon/event WITH randomly generated modifiers that can be seen after the scroll is crafted (Torchlight II has done it nicely). ONCE THE PERSON WHO USED THE SCROLL LEAVES GAME MONSTERS GIVE NO DROPS OR XP (CHESTS INCLUDED) this is to prevent people from selling bound scrolls with out wait.
Scroll handling (ideas)
- 1. Two different recipes (Random Dungeon and Random Event)
2. One recipe (randomly gives one or the other)
3. Four recipes (one of the 4 different dungeon/event types, DUNGEON/EVENT TYPES)
4. Scrolls are Bound character/account
5. A fifth recipe able to craft a scroll that is not bound in any way but modifiers are unable to be seen until scroll is used (increased gold/material count and has a cool down by account also to help prevent AH flooding)
6. Possibly make bound scrolls useable only in private games
Some ideas for what the dungeon/events could be...
DUNGEON TYPES (normal or timed)
- 1. Endless dungeon
2. Limited amount of floors with Uber boss at the end
EVENT TYPES (wave idea from Warcraft maps)
- 1. Endless waves of enemies (lower base drop/xp rates)
2. Limited amount of waves with Uber boss at end
3. Maze (timed only)
ENDLESS DUNGEON/EVENT MODIFIERS
Now for the modifiers that are randomly generated when the Random Dungeon Scroll. These could be either +/- for effect with a chosen range of effect (w/ sub modifiers).
PLAYER ONLY MODIFIERS
MONSTER ONLY MODIFIERS (only + effect accept spawn count)