Diablo® III

UnPlayable.. idk why.

- Technical Support
View profile
12/06/2012 05:41 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
like i mentioned just now, would the company really reconfigure their system just to satisfy my gameplay experience? isn't that too much to do for so little benefit for only one person?

You'd be surprised. They wouldn't necessarily do it for one person, but since the issue is with a major backbone provider, it isn't beyond the possibility that the ISP could get the other company (the partner) to take a look into why there is a huge latency spike at their juncture and remedy it, which would then trickle down to all of their users in the form of better performance.

12/06/2012 05:41 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
Yeah, when someone is downloading something, it significantly lowers the performance on everything, i know how that is, which is basically the main reason i bought the MiFi, to avoid that factor and not worry about it. I just had no idea that the MiFi would be not good enough.

The MiFi also has one very important limitation you need to know about. It is not an unlimited data device. Once you exceed a certain threshold, your data will be throttled. Remember, it is using the cell phone network, and as such has the same impact as a phone or tablet user downloading/uploading large amounts of data. There is also the possibility that if you go over the data cap by a large enough amount that you'll get dinged for overage charges. This is especially true of the AT&T version of the MiFi, since their plans are heavily tiered and have very low thresholds.

Regarding your family's router - most routers nowadays have a QoS setting (Quality of Service). You may want to see if the family has that feature enabled. It gives priority to streaming data and game packets that go through certain ports, and does other traffic after those data types have been processed. It won't solve your lag problems, but it will ease them up a bit. If however QoS is already active on the router, you're basically running into the "too many cars, not enough lanes" problem where there are just too many people on your LAN at once to get anywhere near a low latency.

Reply Quote
You'd be surprised. They wouldn't necessarily do it for one person, but since the issue is with a major backbone provider, it isn't beyond the possibility that the ISP could get the other company (the partner) to take a look into why there is a huge latency spike at their juncture and remedy it, which would then trickle down to all of their users in the form of better performance.

Then i'll try to contact them, but i have no idea how to do that yet, i gotta look into it, and how am i suppose to send them the results of the traceroute?

The MiFi also has one very important limitation you need to know about. It is not an unlimited data device. Once you exceed a certain threshold, your data will be throttled. Remember, it is using the cell phone network, and as such has the same impact as a phone or tablet user downloading/uploading large amounts of data. There is also the possibility that if you go over the data cap by a large enough amount that you'll get dinged for overage charges. This is especially true of the AT&T version of the MiFi, since their plans are heavily tiered and have very low thresholds.

Yeah i know about the limitation, i got the one with 30GB limit, it's almost impossible to run out, i basically use it for literally everything, and has not run out, not even close..
that's why i got the one with the biggest limit, so that i wouldn't even worry about it..

Regarding your family's router - most routers nowadays have a QoS setting (Quality of Service). You may want to see if the family has that feature enabled. It gives priority to streaming data and game packets that go through certain ports, and does other traffic after those data types have been processed. It won't solve your lag problems, but it will ease them up a bit. If however QoS is already active on the router, you're basically running into the "too many cars, not enough lanes" problem where there are just too many people on your LAN at once to get anywhere near a low latency.

So, this QoS thing, is a setting that i can play around with to whatever fits me right, right? I mean, it's basically the settings for everything, like Diablo3's setting in the Options menu, and setting everywhere, right? just to get a clear idea of what it is..
or is it an on/off switch?

and does it matter at all where i am in the world?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
12/06/2012 10:35 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
Then i'll try to contact them, but i have no idea how to do that yet, i gotta look into it, and how am i suppose to send them the results of the traceroute?

If you contact the ISP via email, you can copy/paste the traceroute into the email and explain what it is there for. They'll be able to figure it out.

So, this QoS thing, is a setting that i can play around with to whatever fits me right, right? I mean, it's basically the settings for everything, like Diablo3's setting in the Options menu, and setting everywhere, right? just to get a clear idea of what it is..
or is it an on/off switch?

All you generally need to make sure of is that QoS is turned on. Its defaults are plenty good for what you're intending to do. Only hardcore power users that need specific site data processed before all others need to mess with the internal settings (called "rules").

12/06/2012 10:35 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
and does it matter at all where i am in the world?

Your location in the world does matter when connecting to servers overseas (you're trying to connect to the NA realms while overseas, which adds to latency just like it does for the AUS/NZ players). That's about the only major thing you need to worry about in terms of where you are on the planet. The rest "takes care of itself" 99.9% of the time.

Reply Quote
12/06/2012 07:50 PMPosted by TheTias
If you contact the ISP via email, you can copy/paste the traceroute into the email and explain what it is there for. They'll be able to figure it out.

Great, i didn't think of an email.

All you generally need to make sure of is that QoS is turned on. Its defaults are plenty good for what you're intending to do. Only hardcore power users that need specific site data processed before all others need to mess with the internal settings (called "rules").

How do i know if it's on? is the ISP suppose to tell me when i ask?

Your location in the world does matter when connecting to servers overseas (you're trying to connect to the NA realms while overseas, which adds to latency just like it does for the AUS/NZ players). That's about the only major thing you need to worry about in terms of where you are on the planet. The rest "takes care of itself" 99.9% of the time.

Good, but.. I use the American servers and i'm in the middle east, that's overseas, but i tried the other 2 servers, still the same lag, so i shouldn't worry about it?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
12/07/2012 12:46 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
How do i know if it's on? is the ISP suppose to tell me when i ask?

QoS is a setting within the router. By default it is on, though some users turn it off for specific purposes. Windows operating systems also have their own version of QoS, which is defaulted to on as well. Unless the router is also the cable modem, the ISP can't tell if it is on or not. Odds are, unless somebody went in and mucked around in the router's settings, it's on.

12/07/2012 12:46 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
Good, but.. I use the American servers and i'm in the middle east, that's overseas, but i tried the other 2 servers, still the same lag, so i shouldn't worry about it?

I should probably rephrase the statement you quoted. Your location plays a huge part in the latency you observe with normal internet traffic, but there are also other factors, as discussed earlier regarding ISP partner configurations or random hardware glitches/conflicts that can also impact on your internet's performance.

In your case you've got the perfect storm of routing inefficiencies, device limitations (the MiFi), and a clogged network at home (too many people online at once downloading and/or uploading) and it just all adds up to a really crappy experience for you. The ISP part you can start the ball rolling with, but as for the home LAN, you'll need to see if you can work out arrangements so that everybody gets to enjoy the network at least some part of the day without being bogged down. Your university's network (assuming you are in fact using a wired connection to their network) isn't likely to be something you can have looked at unless it's a massively widespread problem for other people - university IT teams aren't exactly known for being flexible since they have to meet certain security requirements by law.

Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:13 AMPosted by TheTias
QoS is a setting within the router. By default it is on, though some users turn it off for specific purposes. Windows operating systems also have their own version of QoS, which is defaulted to on as well. Unless the router is also the cable modem, the ISP can't tell if it is on or not. Odds are, unless somebody went in and mucked around in the router's settings, it's on.

So i would think it's on, no one in this house probably knows anything about this anyway..

I should probably rephrase the statement you quoted. Your location plays a huge part in the latency you observe with normal internet traffic, but there are also other factors, as discussed earlier regarding ISP partner configurations or random hardware glitches/conflicts that can also impact on your internet's performance.

Well, there's nothing i could do about that..

12/07/2012 02:13 AMPosted by TheTias
In your case you've got the perfect storm of routing inefficiencies, device limitations (the MiFi), and a clogged network at home (too many people online at once downloading and/or uploading) and it just all adds up to a really crappy experience for you. The ISP part you can start the ball rolling with, but as for the home LAN, you'll need to see if you can work out arrangements so that everybody gets to enjoy the network at least some part of the day without being bogged down.

Guess i should start contacting the ISP about this, see if anything starts to happen..

Your university's network (assuming you are in fact using a wired connection to their network) isn't likely to be something you can have looked at unless it's a massively widespread problem for other people - university IT teams aren't exactly known for being flexible since they have to meet certain security requirements by law.

The university's network bans all games, so i can't use it.. I use the MiFi there.
Reply Quote
I am now doing the traceroute on the WiFi to send to the ISP, when does it finish? lol
it's been going on for a while, and hasn't stopped..from 25 to 39 all that it says is "* * *"
does that mean that there's nothing left?
Reply Quote
"Thank You!
We will process your request in the next 24 hours"

I just sent them a msg on the website, hopefully "the ball is rolling".

whatever ends up happening, Thank you very much for your replies to me, and explaining everything clearer than i had hoped, and i genuinely wish nothing more than to play this game without any lag, i swear i dream about that sometimes lol

just one question: Are you guys really trying to fix the problem(s), if there is any from your end?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I am now doing the traceroute on the WiFi to send to the ISP, when does it finish? lol
it's been going on for a while, and hasn't stopped..from 25 to 39 all that it says is "* * *"
does that mean that there's nothing left?

The traceroute usually starts getting *** marks at about the 13th hop or so, maybe a few further down when done from overseas. That's normal. You only need to do the traceroute up until it starts with those marks. If you look at my traceroute, it stops after just a few of the *** marks since I know why I'm getting those marks (left to continue, traceroute will by default go all the way up to hop 64 before it quits).

12/07/2012 06:53 AMPosted by SharekhQ8
just one question: Are you guys really trying to fix the problem(s), if there is any from your end?

Blizzard is looking into latency issues (the random spikes that have been occuring for both Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft players) and hopes that they can nail it down soon. As for me, I'm not part of Blizzard (I'm not even an MVP) - I'm a regular player just like you, only I specialize in helping out in tech support areas, so I tend to hang out here a lot. I also post in threads over in the General Forum to help others out when I can too. I don't get anything for doing so, but it feels good, and if it helps even one person, it's worth it. :)

Reply Quote
12/07/2012 04:31 PMPosted by TheTias
The traceroute usually starts getting *** marks at about the 13th hop or so, maybe a few further down when done from overseas. That's normal. You only need to do the traceroute up until it starts with those marks. If you look at my traceroute, it stops after just a few of the *** marks since I know why I'm getting those marks (left to continue, traceroute will by default go all the way up to hop 64 before it quits).

Mine stopped at around 25 i think..

Blizzard is looking into latency issues (the random spikes that have been occuring for both Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft players) and hopes that they can nail it down soon.

That's very good to know !

As for me, I'm not part of Blizzard (I'm not even an MVP) - I'm a regular player just like you, only I specialize in helping out in tech support areas, so I tend to hang out here a lot. I also post in threads over in the General Forum to help others out when I can too. I don't get anything for doing so, but it feels good, and if it helps even one person, it's worth it. :)

I was wondering why your posts weren't blue :P then i read "Official Mac Tech Support.." lol

I guess there's nothing for me to do right now but wait, or is there something i forgot?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
12/08/2012 10:47 PMPosted by SharekhQ8
Mine stopped at around 25 i think.

Yeah, being overseas increases the number of hops, which also increases the total natural (return trip) latency. In that regard your traceroute is normal.

12/08/2012 10:47 PMPosted by SharekhQ8
I was wondering why your posts weren't blue :P then i read "Official Mac Tech Support.." lol

I'm the Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie. Since my favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip, that's why it's listed as (Mint Chocolate Chip). I also bite back sometimes. Depends on how the other person bites into me. :D

The Blue posts will be the CMs. In this forum the two main CMs will be Machkhan (Mac Tech Support Agent), and S4d1k (Mac Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft client development team member).

The Green posts are the MVPs. The current mainstay Mac Tech Support MVP for Diablo 3 is MysticalOS, also known as Omegal on the World of Warcraft forums where he also serves as MVP for the MTS forum alongside Bluspacecow, who also pops in occasionally in the Diablo 3 MTS forum.

And I'm the "Forum Cookie" here. That is, I'm there in the background watching for opportunities to help (unlike regular cookies which just stalk you everywhere) - only I don't expire...at least I hope I won't expire anytime soon. :P

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 12/9/2012 1:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 01:47 AMPosted by TheTias
Yeah, being overseas increases the number of hops, which also increases the total natural (return trip) latency. In that regard your traceroute is normal.

cool, but, what's a traceroute?

I'm the Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie. Since my favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip, that's why it's listed as (Mint Chocolate Chip). I also bite back sometimes. Depends on how the other person bites into me. :D

The Blue posts will be the CMs. In this forum the two main CMs will be Machkhan (Mac Tech Support Agent), and S4d1k (Mac Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft client development team member).

The Green posts are the MVPs. The current mainstay Mac Tech Support MVP for Diablo 3 is MysticalOS, also known as Omegal on the World of Warcraft forums where he also serves as MVP for the MTS forum alongside Bluspacecow, who also pops in occasionally in the Diablo 3 MTS forum.

And I'm the "Forum Cookie" here. That is, I'm there in the background watching for opportunities to help (unlike regular cookies which just stalk you everywhere) - only I don't expire...at least I hope I won't expire anytime soon. :P

Well, it's very good to have you here ! Glad.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Tia is pretty awesome :)

Sometimes I'm a bit stretched thin between all forums and writing articles :/ I love how the Mac Community comes together!
Reply Quote
Tia is pretty awesome :)

Sometimes I'm a bit stretched thin between all forums and writing articles :/ I love how the Mac Community comes together!

lol, yeah, real nice work Tia.
wonderful to have you here !!
beats the hell out of a good question mark on my forehead :P
Reply Quote
Thanks for being here guys, but...
I didn't really get anything from this thread, i mean, nothing that really helps with the lag, which is the main cause for this thread in the first place..
i contacted the ISP, they said that their system and internet connection does not support gaming, so it's not gonna improve from that..

So, what is it?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
12/10/2012 01:22 PMPosted by SharekhQ8
i contacted the ISP, they said that their system and internet connection does not support gaming, so it's not gonna improve from that..

That statement unfortunately likely answers your question for you, but before I put my stamp of "ARGH!" on that, what is the name of your ISP?

Reply Quote
It's Fasttelco.
they have 2 partners, one is Cisco, but idk the other one, you can check their website, go to the bottom on the left side, you'll see the logo (or whatever it's called) of their partners.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
It's Fasttelco.
they have 2 partners, one is Cisco, but idk the other one, you can check their website, go to the bottom on the left side, you'll see the logo (or whatever it's called) of their partners.

Hrm. I'm assuming you're using FT's ADSL, since their FIOS isn't cheap (whose is?). And I'm going to take a bit of an educated guess and assume you are not within 2.5 Km of the main telco switch/data center (the farther away you are, the lower your speed and worse your ping). Unfortunately, ADSL isn't truly "broadband", due to both of the above issues, as well as rather low download and especially low upload speeds.

Generally speaking, for real time movement games that require a constant stream of data going back and forth between player and server, a 1.5 Mbps line with minimal latency is the bottom of the barrel for minimum supported connections. This means that your ISP is basically your bottleneck. It's not knocking on you - not all ISPs are capable of high speed, low latency traffic necessary for gaming, and this ISP looks to be ill equipped to handle such conditions.

You've done all you really can do on your end. Until your ISP upgrades to cable (which isn't subject to DSL's limitations) or you can afford their much much higher speed FIOS, you probably aren't going to get a really acceptable gaming experience.

I wish the news was something different, but from the information you've provided and what I've found on their site, it isn't promising, to say the least. You'll be able to play the game as you have so far, but it really isn't going to be an optimal play experience due to circumstances beyond your control.

:(

Reply Quote
oh crap..
thanks alot..
now i gotta do my best for another ISP to connect to, as for my location to the servers, there really isn't much i can do about that..

What's FT's ADSL? and FIOS?
and What's a traceroute?
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 04:25 PMPosted by TheTias
Generally speaking, for real time movement games that require a constant stream of data going back and forth between player and server, a 1.5 Mbps line with minimal latency is the bottom of the barrel for minimum supported connections.

1.5 Mbps?
what do you think would be good enough to play DiabloIII without any lag?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]