Diablo® III

Blizzard, Strafe deserves a buff

First of all I love strafe. I have tried multiple different build with hundreds of millions in different gear sets ranging from 4p new nats to 4p legacy nats, I think I have 12 different nats cloaks sitting in my stash. I believe that it has huge possibilities for DHs as a whole and proves as a very efficient farming method for me, but I am in the upper tier gear wise and it has not proved to be as efficient for people with lesser gear.

For comparisons sake I will compare strafe to barbs as well as monks as I have played both classes. WW barbs as everyone knows are very efficient at farming, and so are monks with sweeping wind builds. Barbarians are never at a loss of fury and are overburdened by it trying to dump fury by spamming sprint. They can attack on the move at normal movement speed (24%) not including sprint and WOTB, while demon hunters are forced to select runes that augment dps (demolition, stinging steel, rocket storm) just so farming mp0 is viable.

Stafe DHS are effectively moving at -25 % movement speed because we cannot use drifting shadow for 100% movement speed since we are pigeon holed into such odd builds to maintain strafe by dropping all our dps passives unless we have a legacy nats set.

We have to stack hatred regen on everything we can, avoid IAS, and are forced to run with a templar/ bat to make the build even work. This isn't a problem for barbs or monks as they can make their farming builds work with hardly any build specific gearing.

Not to mention our passives which typically consist of nightstalker, vengenace, and tactical advantage which are used as a great loss to survivability (perfectionist) and dps (archery, steady aim). Demon hunters need some love so we can have build diversity other than ball lightning & hungering arrow.

*Now that my rant is over here is how I propose to partially fix the problem, Ideas are encouraged from fellow DHs*

#1 Across the board Damage Increase to strafe damage.
- Currently 156% wep damage. 190% seems like a fair request. Subsequent rune buffs as well.

#2 Buff stinging steel to 200% crit dmg so it is actually worth using.
- A completely underwhelming skill for 100% more crit hit damage yet it only increases my crits by 10-15k. (70-85k)

#3 Reduce the hatred cost of strafe to 6 hatred.
- It currently costs 12 hatred per second to channel, at this cost it drains hatred like there is no tomorrow. By reducing the cost of the skill it will give us more choices in gearing, passives, and active skills.

*Final thoughts*

- Demolition may be the only effective rune for lesser geared strafers, it crits for 180k for me while all other runes crit for 100k less. Why is that if they only do 30% more damage?

- Strafing is a fun build that has a lot of potential for farming but until some changes are made it will not be a viable farming build across the board for all different gear levels of DHs
Reply Quote
I have a bit more dps than the normal legacy nats user but I have been running strafe 100%ms rune and doing 12m alkizer runs. Granted thats about 4 min slower than the barbs but its still efficient. This is also killing at least 80% of mobs.
Reply Quote
Honestly in the current state it feels more like a hatred builder than a hatred spender.
Reply Quote
It just had a good buff, dropped the cost from 14 to 12 afaik and increased the damage and took the penalty from 65% to 75%

190% seems like a fair request
I'd grant you 164%, which imo is more than enough because It can't have optimal damage
(ostensibly it is right between 155% frost arrow, but rather than snare, you move)

it could be designed around optimal mobility though

a. no movement penalty GONE, finally
b. drifting shadow movement speed increased by 10%

this imo is all it needs.. working out the damage/hatred that is still your build style to make it work

crits for 180k for me while all other runes crit for 100k less. Why is that if they only do 30% more damage?

demo grenades are more than x2 the strength of a strafe arrow... because it is a channel that shoots 4/sec each doing 39% weapon.

demolition produces 2/sec grenades, each at 93.5%

also it is not an effective 30% 187 vs 156 difference is 31/156 = 19%
demolition is only 19% stronger than the other runes at 156% (but at least it is an AoE)

meaning if your weapon was 64 "damage"
64*156% = 100 damage
64*187% = 119 damage
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/3/2012 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have no problems with strafe. I have 8.23 hatred regen off gear + bat. I use nightstalker + archery + perfectionist as passives. I can keep up strafe without struggling with resource cost using prep and my crit with nightstalker.

The damage output it has right now is pretty good for what it does right now.

Note: I am all self-geared (hero name is "Valla" is the first on my profile page), it isn't out of the realm of possibility to get the gear needed to strafe on your own.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 12/3/2012 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Lazer

That was a great video you posted on youtube. :-)

I love strafe, and I think that as it is currently it is very well balanced. The reason being that it is one of very few high damaging skills that can be used while moving. The movement utility of Strafe more then offsets the damage difference between it and, say, Rapid Fire IMHO.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 12/3/2012 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
if you increase the dmg too much, it might be too strong in pvp, keep in mind it autoaims for you with no delay & shoots instantly so no shots would be wasted in pvp... especially strong with a +200% dmg stinging steel with a +crit strafe gear
Edited by MysticaL#1298 on 12/3/2012 9:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Strafe is too resource draining for dual wielders, shame I'd like to use it more.
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5966869837

Ive writen a short guide to strafe on the EU forums if you want to check it out.
Ill be uploading a video as soon as i can get the vid capture software working.

I am DW with 2.62 aps and strafe works well for me (although i do agree with the damage buffs to make strafe more usable at high mp levels compared to other hatred spenders).
Edited by D3MON#2220 on 12/3/2012 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 09:42 AMPosted by BurningJC007
Strafe is too resource draining for dual wielders, shame I'd like to use it more.
not so bad for mp1 if 2 APS; bat + vengeance

but imo the hatred rate should be attached to a DR....even as you approach 4.00 APS the cost/sec should taper to only 36/sec

something like channel cost per sec = (8 + 4/aps)

aps
1 = 12/sec (channel cost 12)
2 = 20/sec (channel cost 10)
3 = 28/sec (channel cost 9.333)
4 = 36/sec (channel cost 9)

this way the skill gains in efficiency with IAS rather than less efficient, which is what happens with IAS vs damage/hatred

now rather than lamenting IAS + strafe you would absolutely want it, even though it still makes your channel time shorter
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/3/2012 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
if you increase the dmg too much, it might be too strong in pvp, keep in mind it autoaims for you with no delay & shoots instantly so no shots would be wasted in pvp... especially strong with a +200% dmg stinging steel with a +crit strafe gear

Stinging Steel is treated as a projectile, (it is slowed by missile dampening), where as all other runes of strafe are not. While it hits harder, it doesn't auto-hit and isn't as auto-aim as the other runes.
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 09:42 AMPosted by BurningJC007

I dual wield with 2.46 APS and am still having a blast with Strafe. I don't perma strafe, I use the Bat, and have some hatred regen from Danetta's Revenge and Templar. Sometimes I toss a few volleys of grenades into a group and then strafe away. With really big groups, I can usually perma strafe by feeding off health globes.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 12/3/2012 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Lazer
- Demolition may be the only effective rune for lesser geared strafers, it crits for 180k for me while all other runes crit for 100k less. Why is that if they only do 30% more damage?

Demolition does shoot less projectiles as the other Strafe runes. The other runes do 1/4th damage, so I would assume that it is 4 shots per second (with a theoretical 1 APS weapon). Each grenade does half damage, so I would assume it's 2 grenades/second. Maybe I'll test it some time.

Currently I would say that Demolition is pretty fine. I (got good but no over the top equip) can do 8-9 minutes MP0 runs currently and higher MP when switching to more defensive gear/offensive passives (Archery/Cull the Weak instead of Vengeance/Tactical Advantage).

Personally I think the biggest problem currently is that all the other runes except for Demolition are just plain bad (only exception would be with uber gear for MP0 runs). I would think that something like a 50% pierce chance would be a much more interesting buff (and maybe another cost reduction to 10 hatred, so it would be comparable to Ele Arrow cost wise).
Reply Quote
Strafe is certainly no WW Barb clone, actually it's more forgiving to use even if in all the wrong ways.

Pairing it with ToC, Tac Adv. gives great movement and using FoK, Hail to mass spawn globes works quite well. Honestly, don't need any hatred generators if you're not stacking IAS up the wazoo. < 1.8 aps and hatred is never an issue. Stack CC/CD instead.

I normally DW as well but nothing beats mowing down everything in a3 mp0 than perma strafing with a manticore.

I don't think it will ever be that useful in higher MP though since there's no statistical way to do an end run around needing globes thus requiring a high kill rate. If there were a hatred leech/gen rune + base damage of the skill were buffed, then maybe, but it'd still be a slow grind on big mob HP. Or perhaps the base skill could cause bonus globe drops, say 1.5-2x. Would tick nicely with vengeance and open up other possibilities like stacking ToC and Jagged Spikes w/ so much disc regen from globes.
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Poekel
Maybe I'll test it some time.
no need, i did all that work already, even used math and frame by frame video

demolition produces 2/sec grenades, each at 93.5%

i of course meant 2 per APS
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]