Diablo® III

Everyone is complaining about reflect damage

All I want is an indicator if a elite mob is RD or not. If I'm speed running act 3 I don't want to have to take the time to check if the elite mob affix lists RD.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 12/6/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why do you guys want this game to be easier? Why not just have the game announce all the affixes or have your follower announce them, "That's quite an enemy over there with arcane chains reflect desecrate teleporter!". "Look over there at that nightmarish frozen vortex chains!". Do you really want to just run speed runs with no challenge constantly?
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Merlin
Why do you guys want this game to be easier? Why not just have the game announce all the affixes or have your follower announce them, "That's quite an enemy over there with arcane chains reflect desecrate teleporter!". "Look over there at that nightmarish frozen vortex chains!". Do you really want to just run speed runs with no challenge constantly?

The problem is in an area like The keeps and dealing with elite and minions. The minions dont stick out and they can and do mix in with other monsters of the same type. Due the over large hit boxes on enemies, it can be hard to single the reflect ones in a large group. If its just a group by itself, then no reflect is usually not an issue.

There is that rare time when you lay down a spike trap and then a pack comes you didnt see and you blow yourself up, but that doesnt happen too often.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Merlin

If I want a challenge I will just go to a higher MPL as the game developers intend. If I want to speed run for experience I will do MPL1. The fact that I can't do this as efficiently as possible because of only one affix in the entire game doesn't make the game more challenging, it just throws a hurdle in my way on my speed run times on what are suppose to be the easier difficulties.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 12/6/2012 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Funny thread
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Dragnovox
And here we are just shooting the elites with our Shadow Power not even caring.

+1
Reply Quote
My DH doesn't need Gloom to decimate a RD pack. I can hit them with Spiketraps or Loaded for Bear without killing myself. I don't use Perfectionist or the Boar, and my DPS is 150k unbuffed.

Diversitize your DH'ers. Every piece of gear doesn't have to have Dex, look for the armor or all resist stat's. Strength and Intelligence are helpful for defense. And you don't have to stick a Emerald in all your open socket armor gear, try a few Amethyst instead.

Personally I hate Vortex more than any other affix.
Reply Quote

Not really. If you fire those BLs before popping SP you wont get the life steal. Correct me if I am wrong. I am sure i have died because of that before.

you still get the damage reduction if you use gloom
and the life steal from any mobs you're shooting at the time

o/

not so sure about that. Seems like I kill myself a lot on rd packs if I pop gloom after I launch a bunch of cluster bombs
Reply Quote

you still get the damage reduction if you use gloom
and the life steal from any mobs you're shooting at the time

o/

not so sure about that. Seems like I kill myself a lot on rd packs if I pop gloom after I launch a bunch of cluster bombs

Shadow Power gets applied to any skill that is started after you cast it (shadow power). If you were to fire off attacks then pop SP before the attacks landed, those attacks won't have SP benefits applied to them. Only attacks made after you pop SP will have the bonuses.
Reply Quote
View profile

Shadow Power gets applied to any skill that is started after you cast it (shadow power). If you were to fire off attacks then pop SP before the attacks landed, those attacks won't have SP benefits applied to them. Only attacks made after you pop SP will have the bonuses.

Correct.
Reply Quote
I should also note something about this:

Rapid Fire is a channeling skill. Initial resource cost of 20, then 10 for each attack while channeling. This means SP needs to be popped before you start channeling.

Strafe is NOT a channeling skill, however it ACTS LIKE CHANNELING. Strafe is a single cost and is done based on attack speed, not per cast. Strafe is a bit of a special case because you can get some bonuses from SP while you are mid-strafe, such as: increased hatred regen, MS, and I believe damage reduction. What you won't see if you pop it mid-strafe is the LS applied to strafe. To get LS applied to strafe you need to pop SP then start strafing. This is important to know because as long as you continue to strafe, that LS will be applied to your attacks. This behaves the same way a channeling skill would, and as far as I am aware this is the only affect you can gain that can extend beyond the 5 second life of SP.

EDIT: To make my explanation make a little more sense, Strafe acts similar to spirit generator combos on Monks. You can use 3 different generators on a monk in order and you will see the respective stage of attack as you go through them. So if I have Fist of Thunder, Deadly Reach, and Crippling Wave on a monk, if I use them in that order I am going to see the first stage of Fist of Thunder, the second stage attack of Deadly Reach, and the finishing move (third stage) of Crippling Wave. This is because they are strung together to make a combo attack. Strafe is strung together in a similar way that differs slightly from how a channeling skill works. Cast of strafe is an individual cast of the skill based on your attack speed, and these individual casts are strung together into one seamless animation. Each is treated as a separate attack. A channeling skill is a single cast that consumes resources based on a rate respective to your attack speed. This is why strafe can still be very effective even if you have a higher attack speed.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 12/7/2012 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Wow I'm glad I read about all these strafe/shadow power interactions. I had no idea. Good post guys.
Reply Quote
My DH doesn't need Gloom to decimate a RD pack. I can hit them with Spiketraps or Loaded for Bear without killing myself. I don't use Perfectionist or the Boar, and my DPS is 150k unbuffed.

Diversitize your DH'ers. Every piece of gear doesn't have to have Dex, look for the armor or all resist stat's. Strength and Intelligence are helpful for defense. And you don't have to stick a Emerald in all your open socket armor gear, try a few Amethyst instead.

Personally I hate Vortex more than any other affix.

I feel the same way. I can hit reflect mobs with traps or other attacks at least a few times before I need to react and pop gloom. If you are dying from hitting reflects once or twice then you don't have enough EHP for your DPS.

Vortex is definitely one of the worst. Getting vortexed into those explosions or multiple arcanes with desecrate or something kills me more often by far than reflects. Vortex usually results in needing to burn disc to vault which makes it more challenging to maintain disc for gloom.
Reply Quote
Yep... used to have an issue with RD, until I realized I should probably stop spamming damage a second to take a look at what I'm shooting at. Also, realized I might want to give defense more than a passing thought. (Of course now I've done gone and swung too far into survival-mode and need to keep Sharpshooter up to stay above 200K DPS. :-\ I always do that to myself! Ugh!)
After hearing some RMAH'd-to-the-gills Uber Godlies complaining about Reflect Damage I realized it's doing exactly as it should be... giving people something to think about and leaving that one chink in the armor similar to an Achilles' Heel. You can't go all damage all the time and not think about protecting yourself. SP-Gloom and even Prep-BuP if necessary completely mitigate any fear of RD, for me at least.

About the only things I can take issue with RD is that it seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes I hit an RD mob without SP-G on and manage to come out unscathed. Other times with a similar mob, I run out of Disc from popping it on and still find myself scrambling for health globes/potions. So, at least some part of it is bugged.
It would be nice if RD monsters at least shown themselves via an aura or if it was something that had to cast specifically.

Sidebar: I saw someone mention a Phasebeast earlier in the thread and just the other night I came across a damn Phasebeast: Fast, Waller, Horde, Mortar... and dun Dun DUN... Reflects Damage. And, wouldn't you know it, accompanied by Succubi: Extra Health, Shielding, Vortex, Arcane Enchanted and... dun Dun DUN... Reflects Damage!!! Damn if it wasn't starting to feel like there was no escape! And there wasn't. They killed me. And I felt sad.
Edited by hooligan#1191 on 12/7/2012 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]