Diablo® III

Just over 6 months...what's your review?

We've had the 'repair' patches, the Jay Wilson insults, the 'buying time' future promises... What are your impressions of D3 to this point?

Jay you better listen up.

1 out of 10...10 being the best. And why?
Reply Quote
other than ultima online and maplestory. no other game have i spent 800hrs on. so 8/10 for grind addiction

I finished skyrim under 130 hrs
, dragonage(1,2) etc tons of ssi gold box games, qfg, planescape,baldurs gate etc every major title rpg etc

and so forth.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 12/3/2012 7:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Originally it was like a 3/10 for me, but as time has gone on, I've found myself enjoying the game more and more. There is definitely still room for improvement, but now I don't feel like I'm wasting my time.

So, now it is a solid 7/10.
Reply Quote
Its getting old and repetitive and boring, but trying to hit the 100 paragon mark, leveling and item grinding is my game, so I give it 6/10.

In fact at times, I just grind 3 hours and stop, hoping to be in the mood to grind more some day.
Reply Quote
other than ultima online and maplestory. no other game have i spent 800hrs on. so 8/10 for grind addiction

, dragonage(1,2) etc tons of ssi gold box games, qfg, planescape,baldurs gate etc every major title rpg etc

and so forth.

This is interesting, so there's an 'addiction' factor to D3 for you? That was key in D2s success.
Edited by Ace#1327 on 12/3/2012 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

and so forth.

This is interesting, so there's an 'addiction' factor to D3 for you? That was key in D2s success.
Reply Quote
Currently 6/10; it's not bad but there are many annoyances and lack of polish/features.
Better than before though. I'd say...
1.02: 4/10
1.03: 2/10
1.04: 5/10

Initially the release of Diablo 3 was incredibly shortsighted, with most players being restricted to Act 1 of Inferno and farming for items to progress was an incredible pain simply because Blizzard didn't really test it. To this very date, "double it" has been the standard when it comes to game changes, and thus the game looks like it's been fixed with a sledgehammer. But really, the acts after Act 1 are lacking, Act 4 is a terrible joke, and you expected us to run the same thing over and over again? With us capping out our level so fast? To make matters worse the game in Normal mode was exceedingly boring. However, the masochistic urges caused reaching later acts in Inferno to be somewhat satisfying. Still Legends were awful and disappointing (brown = poop), and crafting was a waste of gold. Items decided your power too much-- a naked level 60 can't do anything. And the interface is a joke-- AH still lacks features and that chat is awful. The lack of social features plagues the game to this very day.

1.03 actually made matters worse. Repairs discouraged progression, and the element of risk vs reward was extremely skewed towards weak-tight play, mostly focused on grinding content you massively overgear repeatedly. It's at this point the game reached its nadir, with no sign of pvp in sight, and most of my friend's list emptying out. In addition, Blizzard's nerfs had made the game unfun, with upgrades being so far fetched because drops sucked so badly. The typical run was gunning straight for elites because other monsters were worthless and MF swapping 300 MF worth of gear for the last hit. Boring and pointless. To make matters worse, Blizzard would rather get the RMAH out instead of improving the game's interface.

1.04 was a nice bandaid solution, but that's all it really was. Paragon gave us something extra to do, and legendaries were much improved. Drop rates left much to be desired, but at this point you could start to find your upgrades. The paragon levels also allowed us to gain MF and GF by leveling, and one day outgrow it, though that cap seems a bit lousy. Paragon levels also give a bonus to base stats, which is independent of gear. The white monster buff remains the best change to date, making sure people would work on killing all in their path.

1.05 provided us with some more actual changes that led the game in a good direction though much remains to be done. The powerful legendaries and more frequent drop rate makes the allure of loot to casuals more appealing, but at the same time yellow items were becoming endangered, and crafting is almost completely useless now. It also doesn't change the core problems that itemization is so utterly boring. However, the monster power gives a reasonable compromise between the casuals that want to farm Mp0, and the more dedicated for go higher. Of course, MP isn't rewarding enough yet, but that may change some day. Overall, I'd say this patch works since people can feel powerful again just by mowing down tons of monsters like a Diablo game should do, and boredom can just cause one to up the MP. The Ubers are also a nice additional challenge that causes nice sidetracking aside from the loot grind. Still, this is all very nice, but something more has to be done if the gameplay is to be sustainable. And people have a chance to find their own items; back before this this seemed to be purist anti-ah talk, but now it's still more possible, even if the AH is the fast track.
Edited by ArchonWing#1480 on 12/3/2012 7:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
10/10 seting the online gaming standard.

Why? Loot hunt, gameplay, i could say more but im at work.
Reply Quote
4/10.

The addictive gameplay and cinematics are definitely top notch. However, after all these hours, I can't recall having fun, besides a faint recollection of enjoying the story when seeing it for the first time.

Kind of like watching a movie with tons of great special effects, but the actual content of the movie is junk.
Reply Quote
Currently 6/10; it's not bad but there are many annoyances and lack of polish/features.
Better than before though. I'd say...
1.02: 4/10
1.03: 2/10
1.04: 5/10

Initially the release of Diablo 3 was incredibly shortsighted, with most players being restricted to Act 1 of Inferno and farming for items to progress was an incredible pain simply because Blizzard didn't really test it. To this very date, "double it" has been the standard when it comes to game changes, and thus the game looks like it's been fixed with a sledgehammer. But really, the acts after Act 1 are lacking, Act 4 is a terrible joke, and you expected us to run the same thing over and over again? With us capping out our level so fast? To make matters worse the game in Normal mode was exceedingly boring. However, the masochistic urges caused reaching later acts in Inferno to be somewhat satisfying. Still Legendarily were awful and disappointing (brown = poop), and crafting was a waste of gold. Items decided your power too much-- a naked level 60 can't do anything. And the interface is a joke-- AH still lacks features and that chat is awful. The lack of social features plagues the game to this very day.

1.03 actually made matters worse. Repairs discouraged progression, and the element of risk vs reward was extremely skewed towards weak-tight play, mostly focused on grinding content you massively overgear repeatedly. It's at this point the game reached its nadir, with no sign of pvp in sight, and most of my friend's list emptying out. In addition, Blizzard's nerfs had made the game unfun, with upgrades being so far fetched because drops sucked so badly. The typical run was gunning straight for elites because other monsters were worthless and MF swapping 300 MF worth of gear for the last hit. Boring and pointless. To make matters worse, Blizzard would rather get the RMAH out instead of improving the game's interface.

1.04 was a nice bandaid solution, but that's all it really was. Paragon gave us something extra to do, and legendaries were much improved. Drop rates left much to be desired, but at this point you could start to find your upgrades. The paragon levels also allowed us to gain MF and GF by leveling, and one day outgrow it, though that cap seems a bit lousy. Paragon levels also give a bonus to base stats, which is independent of gear.

1.05 provided us with some more actual changes that led the game in a good direction though much remains to be done. The powerful legendaries and more frequent drop rate makes the allure of loot to casuals more appealing, but at the same time yellow items were becoming endangered, and crafting is almost completely useless now. It also doesn't change the core problems that itemization is so utterly boring. However, the monster power gives a reasonable compromise between the casuals that want to farm Mp0, and the more dedicated for go higher. Of course, MP isn't rewarding enough yet, but that may change some day. Overall, I'd say this patch works since people can feel powerful again just by mowing down tons of monsters like a Diablo game should do, and boredom can just cause one to up the MP. The Ubers are also a nice additional challenge that causes nice sidetracking aside from the loot grind. Still, this is all very nice, but something more has to be done if the gameplay is to be sustainable. And people have a chance to find their own items; back before this this seemed to be purist anti-ah talk, but now it's still more possible, even if the AH is the fast track.

Um, wow. Do you work for Game Informer? Lol. Spot on.
Reply Quote
We've had the 'repair' patches, the Jay Wilson insults, the 'buying time' future promises... What are your impressions of D3 to this point?

Jay you better listen up.

1 out of 10...10 being the best. And why?

1 / 10 and you still devote enough hours for 23,000 elite kills and spend precious free time on the forums?

1/10

Everything about this game is shallow and easy.
It appeals to the masses, not real gamers.
Watered down, hand holding, worthless excuse of a Diablo game.

I'd hate to see what crazy devotion you guys have for games you that are simply below average...
Did you invest 500 hours and 15 months of forum devotion into Duke Nukem Forever?
Edited by babinro#1836 on 12/3/2012 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Ace

Nah, then they would have paid me to write about how this game is revolutionary, and then you'd just roll your eyes. :D
Reply Quote
7/10.

There's a lot of room for improvement. Right now, I'm enjoying coming home from work, cracking open a beer, and running through Act 3 once or twice a night.
Reply Quote
As for an actual review.... 8/10.

Diablo 3 is my clear game of the year winner 2012.
It's also among my top5 games of all-time.

Why only 8/10 then?

Frankly, the game has a TON of issues. I could write pages and pages of changes I'd personally love to see happen with this game. However, despite the problems it's core game play and addictive loot hunt has kept me playing for OVER 1000 hours!

I wouldn't devote 1000 hours to a game that's okay...heck, I could count the number of games I've invested this kind of time in on one hand.

Diablo 3 is the only game I've ever followed gaming forums on for any significant period of time.
It's the only game I've ever been excited enough to play the beta despite knowing I'd buy it.
It's the only game in 2012 and 2011 that I can't wait to get back to when I put it down for another game.
My actions prove my love for this title.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 12/3/2012 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
5/10
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Ace

Agreed, that was a nice and accurate writeup, Archonwing. I'm going to go about a negative 2 of 10 for 1.0.3 though.
That patch almost broke me. It ran off every single person I had in friends list.

Present day, I'm going 7/10. And I feel hopefull about the future patches. 1.0.4 and .5 really made stribes in right direction. Might not have made all the changes everyone wanted to see, but the patches did good things. I'll take good things. :)
Reply Quote
9/10 = A game that I've genuinely enjoyed playing for 1100+ hours. It cost me $60. Completely unreasonable of me to want more. So I'm unreasonable: PvP plz.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]