Diablo® III

My journey through HC - Monk

EDIT: Since I first started this thread, it has developed into some sort of reference NOT as to what to do but rather as to where you should be landed at, at various stages. I also provide a few tips and also, you will find VALUABLE tips from EXPERIENCED PLAYERS that helped me out getting started in HC. This is by no means a "must follow" but rather a simple reference to compare your stats with mine as you progress. I'm no guru. I hope however that it will help you.

-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==--==-=-

Hiya!

Just finished Act 1 and killed the Butcher. Barely made it out alive... was sorta getting a bit hot in there! LOL My profile is not up to date. I'm landed at lvl 17 with only 42 DPS and 594HP. I'm really not sure if I should proceed to act 2 or is it me that is way too cautious?

I turn to you guys because it's my first HC Monk and I don't want to die by doing a foolish mistake... like being too hasty.

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/7/2012 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
hey buddy :)
im leveling a HC monk also atm, just finished normal difficulty earlier :)

i found i was able to easily clear the whole of normal by investing in vitality, also, i got weapons with slots and always had a life per hit in them (off hand is a shield -> safer!).
best of luck tho, just dump vit and get the dex = armor passive and you should be fine :)

feel free to add me in game also we can maybe get some due monk action going :D
Reply Quote
Craft or buy (from vendors) some vit gear and you should be fine. Level 17 with only 594 hp seems very low to me.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys!

I stated Act II and I killed Magda. Now I'm level 19. I did switch on the Vit thinking way and focused on raising this a bit with what I found. Had a few close calls but it was worth it as I found some pretty good items... not glorious at all, but found, not bought.

@McQueen: Yes sir. I am picking up everything since the Act. To start with absolutely nothing was sort of a shocker. I have over 56MIL in SC and I find myself a poor. LOL Mind you, my gear in SC is good enough to pretty much bore me to death... hence me moving here. I managed to gather so far about 59K and also sold an item on AH. I have 5 outstanding at the moment. We'll see if they sell.

I'm really not ready for the next steps... I will not survive the Oasis and the KW. I think I will restart Act II from tops and try to build up a bit. Hopefully, I will get lucky with the drops. Gawd, I never, ever found so many freakin' Barb Belt since I started playing this game back May 16th!

Thx again all! You guys are the best!

Your brother in arms,

IO
Reply Quote
Like folks have mentioned before, everytime you go in town, look at the vendors for an upgrade and pick up every drops.

Also, now that you are level 19, you might be able to equip socketed weapon and insert it your best Ruby for increase damage.

Vitality is a key component but on my WD, I always try to buy/equip dual stats items. In the case of a monk, I believe it would be Dex/Vit and third Str for dam reduction

I personnally chose the Templar Merc for health regen, health emergnecy and the bash option (so, left skill, left skill, left skill and the last one, right skill)

I am a WD and got pets but I was able to solo, self-find all the gameplay so far from A1 to A3 normal at MP 10 without skipping anything or lowering MP on bosses. Take it slow and steady and whenver you can socket a ruby in a helm, do it for magnificent exp boost.

I'm level 35 or 36 and not even done yet with A3 normal.
Reply Quote
Instant I was level 27 when I took on Belial (albeit MP5) and he killed my barbarian. Just to give you a point of reference. I killed Maghda and Kulle with ease. In hindsight I probably should have levelled to 30 for the extra passive and played a little more cautiously.

I'm rolling a monk now myself, my first one, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck!
Reply Quote
Instant I was level 27 when I took on Belial (albeit MP5) and he killed my barbarian. Just to give you a point of reference. I killed Maghda and Kulle with ease. In hindsight I probably should have levelled to 30 for the extra passive and played a little more cautiously.

I'm rolling a monk now myself, my first one, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck!

Thx mate for the tips! I'm now level 20. I reached it by listening to others and going back at the start of Act II and redo it again. I bought a FL SQ Emerald and Ruby for fist weapon and helm. Found a nice amulet that gives me 1.5% CC. Not much but I'll take it! Trying hard to sell stuff I found in game.

About Belial... I think he is one of the most hard Boss to beat, if not not the hardest. He is really a gear check Boss. I'm playing MP 0 and I have mo intention of raising this while I progress. Mind you, raising it to MP 7 to 10 in Act 1 could maybe, MAYBE help a bit with leveling and loot that can sell on AH... but even then, I will be extremely cautious. I already had a few close calls and I think I'm being a bit cocky... trying hard to refrain that. But the game has this way to humble you when you know that if you die, you are done!

Thx again mate!

PS: Thx to you too Mulzan. Noted and will keep in mind. Helpful and sound advice! :)

IO
Reply Quote
If you're using the AH, you don't necessarily need to repeat any content in normal. Buy a flawless square ruby and find/craft/buy a socketed weapon. Rubies are fairly cheap on the AH - you have more than enough gold. You should be set for a while.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Sunshine
If you're using the AH, you don't necessarily need to repeat any content in normal. Buy a flawless square ruby and find/craft/buy a socketed weapon. Rubies are fairly cheap on the AH - you have more than enough gold. You should be set for a while.

Hey bro!

I bought, like I said in my precious post, 2 FL SQ gems. 1 ruby that I've put in helm for extra EXP. For my weapon, the base DPS and speed is nice, so I went for CD instead with a FL SQ Emerald. Made sense since I found an amulet that gave me 1.5%CC... so I went for that instead of a pure DPS increase. CC for a Monk is really important... well, not now, but much later down the road, at level 57, when you can have your Cyclones! I know that my toon will be completely different by then but... I dunno... call it a reflex from SC.... I went for CD.

About repeating stuff.. mate, I'm not sure. You realize that after killing Magda, you are sent to the Royal Audience (piece of cake (POC)) and then to the sewers, again POC, but then the Oasis with the KW. Hard monsters in there and the KW is really not pleasant. Not sure if it,s because he doesn't shower or something else, but man, he hurts! What really worries me is that I don't get a second chance at this... Have to be ready and sure that I can handle these mobs... otherwise, it's back to square one.

I might go to the Royal audience and sewers and see from there. If it's a walk in the park, I'll move on. Otherwise, I'll back off 'til I'm ready.

Cheers mate!

IO
Reply Quote
One thing I realized yesterday is that looking at the AH, the Cain Legacy Set (3 pieces is very cheap). I think you can get 3 ordinairy pieces for under 150k. This is a great addition for an easy 30% boost on Exp. That's if you want to use AH

Personnaly, I go "Purist" as they say in HC. Bought plenty of stuff in SC but maybe that's what destroyed the fun of it. I will go Purist all the way, shoul I die being stubborned :P

The more I play this game, I think it start to take more place in my hear than D2 that I played for years on non x-pac HC Ladder. And the best has yet to come

Cheers for the HC Fellows
Reply Quote
I bought, like I said in my precious post, 2 FL SQ gems. 1 ruby that I've put in helm for extra EXP. For my weapon, the base DPS and speed is nice, so I went for CD instead with a FL SQ Emerald.

Sorry, I didn't see your previous post till after I posted. Until you get to late hell/inferno, you'll be better off with a ruby than emerald in your weapon. Try out both and compare if you don't believe me. :)

As far as repeating goes - do whatever you're comfortable with. I found I didn't need to repeat with my first two HC characters - my WD (MP10) and barb (MP0) - as long as I stayed up to date with vit gear from the AH. WDs and barbs are easier than monks, though, so if you're struggling it probably makes sense to repeat content. Just wanted to let you know that it's not necessarily mandatory.

Good luck!
Edited by Sunshine#1222 on 12/4/2012 4:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Definitely use a ruby in your weapon instead of an emerald. A ruby will just about double your DPS until nightmare, and even then it's a significant increase. An emerald won't be worth it until you reach late hell/inferno and can start using significantly higher CC gear, or get some reduced level req weapons/armor.

Vit is your best friend until hell. Then start building your primary resistance as a monk, and use OWE when you unlock it.

You shouldn't need to repeat any content, just don't skip any of it. Try to explore every area and kill everything you come across. You should finish normal at around level 31-32, and nightmare at around 50-51. Try to grind out 60 before Belial unless you have a high DPS reduced level weapon and you'll be all set.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Mulzan
Like folks have mentioned before, everytime you go in town, look at the vendors for an upgrade and pick up every drops.

I'm in Act 2 - Normal right now and I do this (above) (level 25 DH). I'm constantly looking to upgrade something, anything through vendors or crafting. I may re-roll some stuff, but I'm wearing 2 crafted items currently.

When I got to the Butcher, I didn't fight him. Instead I re-did most of Act 1 again on MP1 with MF/GF gear that I found. I gained a few levels and even found Legendary armor, level 15. When I fought Butcher, he was pretty easy to beat. Someone here on the HC forums mentioned doing this or something similar (to make sure you are ready) and I remembered reading it and thinking good advice.
Reply Quote
I would get at least a min of 1k life before advancing to A2. That might be a little low actually, but this is HC and you can NEVER have to much Vit. Just search the AH for some cheap gear, or craft some yourself.

Basically you should buy upgrades from the AH at about A2 Normal, you can finish all of A1 off those upgrades depending on the class you play.

Get upgrades as soon as you start NM, get upgrades roughly A3.

Once you enter Hell (should be 50) you should find a nice level reduced weapon, prefer lvl 60, with a few other upgrades. That will get you all the way to Inferno. Basically once you can get a lvl 60 weapon you have it made.

Good Hunting!
Reply Quote
hey... im also new to HC and just started act 3 normal :P

keep's depth 2 is a very scary place >.<

the best way to not die is not to rush through the game... i would not even wanna go fight ghom until im comfortable enough to know that i will not die to his farts lol

either outlevel / outgear content would be the best bet.....

best of luck !!!
Reply Quote
Thanks guys! Landed at Act 2 - ZK Archives. I now have over 1K HP by following your good advice. I know that Belial is close... I am not sure what level I should be before I tackle him. As for the ruby in weapon instead of emerald, I will follow your advice as I saw that emerald made lil' difference.

< PAUSE >

Ok, I just changed it. You guys were SPOT ON! My fist weapon was dealing 80DPS with the emerald, now deals 133 with the ruby! :-) I still find that a bit weak to tackle Belial.

Opinions, advice?
Reply Quote
Just got my monk back to Act 2 normal. Level 15 I think. Never played a monk before but so far so good. I had a legendary level 10 helm that I found on my barb in my stash but other than that I'm wearing crafted/vendor blues. I'm just running MP0 right now because I don't know the class. I may just stick with MP0 and just try to get to 60 and clear inferno...
Reply Quote
Thanks guys! Landed at Act 2 - ZK Archives. I now have over 1K HP by following your good advice. I know that Belial is close... I am not sure what level I should be before I tackle him. As for the ruby in weapon instead of emerald, I will follow your advice as I saw that emerald made lil' difference.

< PAUSE >

Ok, I just changed it. You guys were SPOT ON! My fist weapon was dealing 80DPS with the emerald, now deals 133 with the ruby! :-) I still find that a bit weak to tackle Belial.

Opinions, advice?

Through A2 nightmare I have never had to replay an area; however, I was using the AH with those characters heavily (buying frequently, but never more than 5k a piece (outside of ammy/rings). While I have no clue on DPS/life, etc I just have never had a need for redoing content until Hell mp5+ (granted, I have never gotten anything except WD past here, I deleted all my old mid30-40 characters and am doing purist versions atm)
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 12/5/2012 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Quick update. Killed ZK and got a rare ring. Too bad it didn't roll with my main stats but it did roll with a socket and I've bought a FL SQ Amethyst to boost my HP just slightly about 2K now. My DPS is now landed at 153 through various changes with stuff I found.

I think I'm OK to tackle Belial. I'm playing MP0 so I hope I can beat the living crap out of him. My only concern is the meteor rain... Let's hope my HP are high enough and I do have Serenity.

Will update once I'm done.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]