Diablo® III

My journey through HC - Monk

You should be fine bro. I fought him on MP5, I had about the same DPS as you, and my HP were less I think...

Good luck!
Reply Quote
Landed at Act 3. Belial was a piece of cake! I think I'm being a bit too cautious here, but I will not stray from the path of wisdom and avoid being cocky... that will only lead to my death. But I do admit that I am very confident in my build. Very balanced. Thanks to you guys!

"Someone should light those signal fires!"

I'm coming, I'm coming... gawd... give a dude a break! LOL

IO
Reply Quote
View profile
"Someone should light those signal fires!"

Don't you guys have archers? Just light the arrows.. come-on people, come on!
Reply Quote
An awesome life-on-hit gem in your weapon will pull you through MP 10 all the way through nightmare, and MP4 or 5 on Hell (as long as your health is decent)
Reply Quote
Quick update: Ghom the fart guy is dead. Took a potion to make it and a few life restore from the Templar, but he was an easy kill. Next update will be when I kill Azmo-fart.

Huh, sorry, call me chicken if you want, but I ain't raising MP levels yet. I read a few stories that turned out sadly with MP levels on and everything was fine and dandy until Oops! An unexpected E-pack a bit tougher than normal and in a weird context. Nah... this chicken will be a LIVE chicken, not a dead duck!

IO
Reply Quote
Quick update: Finished Act III, just shy of lvl 31. Here are my stats just before I start Act IV:

- 298 DEX
- 325 VIT
- 802 Armor
- 263 DPS
- 3.4K HP

Had a bit of a scare... Game froze on me. By chance, I was in town and had just completed ACT 3. I might shop for an upgrade weapon... I find my DPS a bit low.

IO
Reply Quote
You have a SC monk. Not to mention you are in normal. If you can't figure it out yourself, you have issues.
Reply Quote
Watch out for the A4 Key Warden -- I was face melting everything on MP3 (normal) up until that point, and then...BAM...I'm dead.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 09:41 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
You have a SC monk. Not to mention you are in normal. If you can't figure it out yourself, you have issues.

You just said in another thread that SC players are douches. Might want to look at yourself in the mirror man. I'm posting this for reference for other people that start a Monk and also to get advice if someone sees that I'm going in the wrong direction. Yes I have 2 lvl 60 Monks in SC. But HC is not SC. Besides, if you don't like this thread, why post in it? No one is forcing you bro.

'nuf said.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/06/2012 09:41 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes

While yes, I think he is being too cautious its better than being the exact opposite. I'll take too careful wanting advice than "I know everything shut-up" guy
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 12/6/2012 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 09:42 AMPosted by JCRUZ
Watch out for the A4 Key Warden -- I was face melting everything on MP3 (normal) up until that point, and then...BAM...I'm dead.

Yeah, I know that the PW (Plan Warden) is a real pain. I'll make sure to handle him with caution. Thx for the heads up anyway mate!

@Lykotic : I am being overly cautious... I realize it but thanks for supporting my way of going about it. Not saying you support my way of playing, just my general attitude. Appreciated.

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/6/2012 9:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
As a rule-of-thumb, if u are taking quite a bit of damage occasionally (hp drops below 30-50%), then you are most likely not rdy for the next area/act. Even within the same act, newer areas usually have tougher mobs like

Act 1 - start with skeles/zombies, then move on to cultists (who die just as easy but deal more damage) and end with berserkers and disentomed hulks
Act 2 - snakes, dune dervishes and blazing guardians towards the end (wasps in the beginning are a pain as well)
Act 3 - Succubus and phasebeasts - nuf said
Act 4 - full of !@#$ in general, but u do get mallet lords, and morlu incinerators towards the end as part of the trend

So, if ur hp drops occasionally to a low level, then worst case, u cud die if u proceed. So proceed to next area only after taking care of tht! :)
Reply Quote

You just said in another thread that SC players are douches. Might want to look at yourself in the mirror man. I'm posting this for reference for other people that start a Monk and also to get advice if someone sees that I'm going in the wrong direction. Yes I have 2 lvl 60 Monks in SC. But HC is not SC. Besides, if you don't like this thread, why post in it? No one is forcing you bro.

'nuf said.

I'm not being a doucher. I just don't see a reason that someone in normal mode needs advice. Maybe I put it a little more rudely than I should have, but if you almost die against the butcher in normal mode, you really need to rethink your strategy. Even in SC, nobody plays with such low stats.

While yes, I think he is being too cautious its better than being the exact opposite. I'll take too careful wanting advice than "I know everything shut-up" guy

I just can't fathom why it's hard to understand. In SC, I don't know anybody that has gotten to the Butcher with less than 100 dps and 1000 hp. Also quite a bit of armor. You don't even need the AH to do this. If this person has no dps and no health, what stats are they stocking up on? This is also the same for HC. I played with 4-5 friends and not one of them were this undergeared.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 12/6/2012 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 09:48 AMPosted by InstantOcean

Yeah, I know that the PW (Plan Warden) is a real pain. I'll make sure to handle him with caution. Thx for the heads up anyway mate!

@Lykotic : I am being overly cautious... I realize it but thanks for supporting my way of going about it. Not saying you support my way of playing, just my general attitude. Appreciated.

IO

Better cautious then dead :D

I am like that too. I haven't yet used Serenity besides 2 days ago when being rubberbanded. I think I used 2 maybe 3 potions since the beginning of my monk's journey. None of my fight against end of act bosses has lasted more than 20 seconds. I guess I prefer feeling overpowered and crushing everything around ! As a result, I am still at Act I inferno. But I am not in a hurry. Specially since I noticed that upgrades on some pieces of equipment would now cost me 80-150M on the AH. Sigh...I hate the leaking of RMAH --> SC gold --> hc gold. But that is another subject.

Stay alive,

Lab
Reply Quote
I'm not being a doucher. I just don't see a reason that someone in normal mode needs advice. Maybe I put it a little more rudely than I should have, but if you almost die against the butcher in normal mode, you really need to rethink your strategy. Even in SC, nobody plays with such low stats.

I just can't fathom why it's hard to understand. In SC, I don't know anybody that has gotten to the Butcher with less than 100 dps and 1000 hp. Also quite a bit of armor. You don't even need the AH to do this. If this person has no dps and no health, what stats are they stocking up on? This is also the same for HC. I played with 4-5 friends and not one of them were this undergeared.

Well, my friend, it seems that I was able to do it with half of what you think is best. BTW, I think you are pushing the DPS/HP envelope a tad too far and saying that I was that much undergeared for the Butcher is an exaggeration. Proof is that I'm here to tell. Yes, more DPS and HP would have been better, I agree. Would it have been safer? Of course.

And to say that no one needs help when starting HC at normal... your comments about me being undergeared seems to prove exactly the opposite. Anyway, I am retracting the word "douche" in my previous reply to you. You are not a douche. You just have strong opinions and voice them accordingly. I respect that. But do not depict me or imply that I'm not so brilliant or have issues because I asked for help while playing my first Monk on HC. I got some solid advice that allowed me to better tune my Monk for the reality of HC. I might have a lot of experience in SC, but again, this is NOT SC.

Cheers bro!

IO
Reply Quote
It's no problem, just in my eyes, the only difference I see in HC/SC is dying. Some people don't think to take the precautions necessary to not die, such as investing more time or gold into your player. I feel this happens because people think that if they die, they lose money thus they shouldn't spend any at all.
Reply Quote
Quick Update: Finished Act 4 - Normal. Moving on to NM - Act 1

Act IV was quite easy except for the last part of the ascension of the Spire. Of course, the Plan Warden was a pain but I could dispose of him using 1 potion. That guy hurts! Mad my life go down to 50% at one point. Diablo was a breeze and I quickly disposed of him and got some nice loot too.

Now, stats-wise, here's what it looks like at the beginning of NM - Act 1

Level 32 (70% done)

- 437 DEX
- 427 VIT
- 1056 Armor
- 350 DPS
- 4.4K HP

If you guys think there is a balance problem or anything, please suggest correction.

Cheers!

IO
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 11:41 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
It's no problem, just in my eyes, the only difference I see in HC/SC is dying. Some people don't think to take the precautions necessary to not die, such as investing more time or gold into your player. I feel this happens because people think that if they die, they lose money thus they shouldn't spend any at all.

Oh no mate! Not me. I'm willing to spend gold on AH to improve my Monk even if when I die, I will lose it all. I don't care. Actually, I bought maybe 5 or 6 items on the AH so far as I was not finding what I needed in game. I try to satisfy myself with what I find, but sometimes, as you know for sure, it just doesn't cut it. Specially that I play at MP0 and don't have much MF. If I recall right, after doing Normal, I come out with a net balance of about 125K gold. The only thing I will NOT do is to purchase HC gold with SC gold. Not because I want to keep my SC gold... I don't really need it and have a lot... it's a question of principle for me.
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/6/2012 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you look in the right places, you can find some good items for very cheap. What may also help is finding a merchant that sells jewelry, a lot of event ones do, and keep renewing your game until they sell rings/amulets with dmg + exp/stats. Stuff like that lasts for a long time. Could find some on the AH with av dmg vit and dex for 20-50k each. Level 30 or so rings/amulet lasted me until 60.
Reply Quote
Quick update: Just finished Act 1 NM - Moving to Act 2

I'm now landed at lvl 39. Act 1 was mostly fun, no real problem with the Skelly King. Found a few good pieces along the way that boosted my DEX a lot. Prior to engaging the butcher, I looked at my stats and saw that they were unbalanced. I had like 200 more DEX than LIFE so I decided to quit and go shop on the AH. Spent just over 100K to re-balance my Monk to the following stats, just before the Butcher. They are still the same now, for the Butcher was not quite generous with me.

- 666 Dex (Devilish Dex!)
- 608 Life
- 1468 Armor
- 597 DPS
- 8.7K HP

Note: Playing MP 0 is safer but gawd I don't get many rares. 95% of drops (other than white and grey) are blue. I feel that my DPS is not high enough but even searching the AH, I found nothing that was better. Followed Potatoes advice and bought a nice Amulet with 5 - 10 damage and 5% IAS. It helped.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]