Diablo® III

My journey through HC - Monk

Nice thread. I am also playing in NM at the moment (just entered Halls of Agony) and like you, I'm trying the 1:1 ratio for Vit and Int

Also, I'mt trying to buy from vendor pieces with the 3rd stats : STR or dam mitigation

Keep us posted

I'll try to add you so we can tag along. I go Mp1-2 i think in NM
Reply Quote
I'm a bit behind you because when you first started I was levelling an MP10 monk that only made it to level 7 LOL

I'm in Act 3, level 31 I think, and I recently switched from 2h to SnB. I've been playing on MP3 and beat Grom without any issues. I'm just about to face Siegebreaker.

I don't know JACK about Monks so hopefully I'm running a build that makes sense. I have a lot more DEX than VIT though so maybe I'm playing it risky? I've only used Serenity when a fallen maniac is about to explode near me or when I'm fighting a boss. Is that the general way it is used? Or do you keep it up regularly like the mantra?

I've been using seven sided strike for the nice offensive boost. I see you using the mystic ally. Is that to have another way of not taking all the damage? Ergo like the templar? Something out there tanking for you?

I need to try wave of light. I've been using the lashing tail kick but I'm sure it's substandard by this point in the game.
Reply Quote
Spend all your money on amethysts and only use gear with sockets. You'll have no issues until act 3 hell.
Reply Quote
@ Mulzan : Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that you find the thread interesting and helpful. I will update it as I go along. I might start to break it in 2 parts per Act, because stats are changing fast.

I'm a bit behind you because when you first started I was levelling an MP10 monk that only made it to level 7 LOL

I'm in Act 3, level 31 I think, and I recently switched from 2h to SnB. I've been playing on MP3 and beat Grom without any issues. I'm just about to face Siegebreaker.

I don't know JACK about Monks so hopefully I'm running a build that makes sense. I have a lot more DEX than VIT though so maybe I'm playing it risky? I've only used Serenity when a fallen maniac is about to explode near me or when I'm fighting a boss. Is that the general way it is used? Or do you keep it up regularly like the mantra?

I've been using seven sided strike for the nice offensive boost. I see you using the mystic ally. Is that to have another way of not taking all the damage? Ergo like the templar? Something out there tanking for you?

I need to try wave of light. I've been using the lashing tail kick but I'm sure it's substandard by this point in the game.

Well, your stats seem fine and well balanced. As stated, if you have money, buy yourself some FL SQ gems... they will help, trust me and they are cheap except for the Amethyst that runs for about 17K on AH.

As for your skills, I have checked them out and I am not going to tell they are wrong for sure. Everyone has the right to play with the skills they prefer and master. But, there is a reason why I use what I use and I do change the skills before any Boss encounter. Let me explain:

For anything but Bosses, I use the skills you see. I will break them down and explain why:

- Templar as a follower : For the healing he gives for free. Also, even though he does not deal a lot of damage on paper, he is of a lot of help. SETUP: First 3 left, last one RIGHT.

- Mystic Ally : He takes some of the abuse that otherwise I would take. Also, he deals quite a lot of damage because HIS dmg is based on yours. Water ally is really a good choice until you can get the Earth Ally. The others are not my cup of tea.

- Sweeping Wind : Again, dmg that doesn't show on paper. That wind around you deal a LOT of damage when stacked. Not all Runes are goo though. I like Master for starter, then Fire, and lastly, at lvl 57, Cyclone!

- Serenity : Multipurpose "I don't wanna take that" skill. You can use it for Fallen Maniacs although I simply kill them... but also and mainly for molten, ARCANE, and also, to get out of any trap I'm in. You are frozen = Serenity and you're out. Jailed, same thing. The only thing it will not get you out of is a WALL. Rune: Peaceful Repose is my favorite for ALL game long.

Now, for Bosses, if I have ANY doubts whatsoever about my capacities of killing it swiftly, and even then, I don't take chances, I make the following swaps:

- Lose the ally for Breath of Heaven for the healing, just in case
- Change Main Attack from Crippling Wave to Fist of Thunder... Static Charge. CW is good for multi-target... since you are dealing with one... need I say more. LOL
- I will also sometimes change my Mantra from Conviction to Healing for the life regen.

I think that's about it my friend. I hope that helps you out a bit. Any questions, feel free to ask here. I'll try my best to help.

Be well all and stay safe!

IO

PS: Those are my choices and preferences. If you look at my SC Monks, you will see that I use the very same skill as I suggested to you. On the other hand, a lot of other very successful Monks are using different skills. So my way is NOT THE WAY.. it's only one way of doing it. Look also at other Monks and check if their way is more your cup of tea. We all have our own play style and I am no GURU! :)
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/7/2012 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Quick Update: I'm about to go to the Oasis and felt that I needed, as I said before, more DPS. Landed at lvl 41, I discovered that some weapon upgrades were available and I almost doubled my DPS, without sacrificing LIFE.... instead, I lost 50 DEX. But I went from 597 DPS to 11XX something... My life also got a little boost so now my Life is higher than my DEX by a few points.

I think it was the right move to do at this point in my progression because it was starting to be a bit hard to kill mobs and e-packs. My life was never in danger, it just took too long. So I am almost flat broke now, with only 20K. I trust that this change will be for the best and I will make up for the gold in due time.

History shall prove if I did good or bad...

IO
Reply Quote
I don't buy anything on the AH though, self-found here, so I can't do the gems unfortunately. Hell I wouldn't even have to buy them. I am sure one of my HC buddies would hook me up. I just don't want to accept that kind of help...
Reply Quote
Note: Due to Bliz interruption of Forums yesterday, I will make 2 quick updates in the same post.

Update 1 - Finished Act 2 NM - Moving to Act 3 NM

As I posted in my last update, I purchased a new weapon that nearly doubled my DPS. It was a good move as Act II was pretty much a walk in the park. Nothing really to report. Here's my stats when I finished the act.

Level 45 (50% done)

- 687 DEX
- 697 VIT
- 1600 Armor - Res All 43
- 1133 DPS
- 14.1 K HP

Found my first leg! Slave Bonds Bracers that I sold on AH. Ain't broke anymore!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Update 2 - Act 3 - Just killed SB and about to descend in the Arreat Crater Level 1

As much as Act 2 was a walk in the park, Act 3 is becoming more and more uncomfortable. The more I progress, the longer it takes me to kill mobs and packs. Also, some of them hit quite hard and I feel I need to boost not only my DPS but also boost my Armor/Res All. I had a couple of time where my life went down to 50%... not often but just enough for me to make my heart race a bit and get the hell out to reposition for battle. Been checking the AH, but found nothing that would or could make a real difference at a reasonable price. I'm starting to think about choosing an Elemental resist and I've turned on OwE. Really unsure if I will proceed to the Crater the way I'm setup now. Something doesn't feel right. Oh before the stats, I found another leg! Hammer Jammers! They are the main reason for the increase. Here are the stats:

Level 49

- 723 DEX
- 725 VIT
- 1714 Armor
- 1208 DPS
- 18.1K HP

Now have 324K gold. Was able to sell a few things. Still a low budget though. My profile is up to date so if you guys have any suggestions, please make them!

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/9/2012 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
I just got my Monk to level 30. Nothing has been a challenge so far, not even on MP 5. I am considering trying Mp10 but I don't wanna make the mistake that kills me just for better loot and exp. I recommend LoH gems for weapons since constant heals are great for survival.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Zlot
I just got my Monk to level 30. Nothing has been a challenge so far, not even on MP 5. I am considering trying Mp10 but I don't wanna make the mistake that kills me just for better loot and exp. I recommend LoH gems for weapons since constant heals are great for survival.

I've checked your profile... not quite up to date (lvl 27) but it gives me an idea of how your geared and most of all, your setup. Not sure mate about the duel-wield long term and neither for the Amethyst in weapon for LOH. Every experienced player here told me that ruby is the way to go for at least the first 2 difficulty levels or until you reach lvl ~47 and can buy a Reduced Req. Weapon. Now, you are at normal... so you face roll everything I imagine but later on, might prove to be a bit more difficult. Also, by duel-wielding, you are depriving yourself of a stat boost from a good shield and the block it provides albeit not a whole lot, but still helps. Right now, that +130 LOH you get my seem significant and helpful but as you progress, it will become more and more meaningless and you will have no choice but to boost your Vit. That's my take on it. And yes, I did notice that you have also a 1.80% LS on one of weapon. Opinion stays the same.

I'm not criticizing your built, just giving you my point of view. I would most def NOT play MP10, nor MP5 for that matter. Not now at least. But again, that is my opinion.

I hope you make it to level 60 and that you have a lot of success in your battles.

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Reply Quote
Quick Update - Finished Act 3 NM - Moving on to Act 4 NM

Made one adjustment on my Monk. Changed his boots, lost the 10% increase speed (although I still have the other 10% from the Hammer Jammers) in order to get more DEX and VIT and a bit of res. The Crater was not so bad, no close calls to report. Azmo was easy but I couldn't face roll him the way I did in Normal. I had to move out of the patches and kite a bit to find a spot free of scum to finish the job. Nice loot too! :) Here's the stats just as I am about to begin Act IV:

Level 50 (80% done)

- 758 DEX
- 831 VIT
- 2092 Armor - Res All 64
- 1259 DPS
- 21.6K HP

My main concern going in Act IV is the Plan Warden in Spire Lvl 1. I might change my skills for more defensive ones before I enter as he has this nice tendency to show up accompanied by an E-pack. Also, same concern as I had before... I find my DPS too low for my taste. Wish I could find an affordable Reduced Req. Weapon. Will check the AH and hopefully will get lucky.

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Reply Quote
Quick Update - Finished Nightmare - Moving to Hell Act 1

Just as I said in my previous post, I took a quick glance at the AH and got lucky. Found a dagger with 478 DPS that cost me almost all my gold, 400K. That boosted my DPS as you will see below quite a bit and the temptation was great to push the MP level, but I refrained and I'm glad I did. Plan Warden was not a problem but when I fell on an Elite Pack of Mallet Lords and felt the hits, saw my life go below 50%, I was glad that I was at MP0. Managed to kill them by kiting a bit. Of course, with that weapon, Diablo was not even a concern. Here's the stats:

Level 51 (60% done)

- 805 DEX
- 875 VIT
- 2236 Armor - Res All 64
- 4828 DPS
- 23.7 K HP

Since my weapon is OP for Hell, at least for now, I will push the MP to 1 or 2 in hopes of better drops.

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/9/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 10:03 AMPosted by InstantOcean
Since my weapon is OP for Hell, at least for now, I will push the MP to 1 or 2 in hopes of better drops.

Hey, glad you're still staying alive. I'd recommend playing hell at MP0 even with your reduced level weapon and see how it goes before you raise the difficulty. It's easy to feel like a god when you first get that high DPS weapon, but it doesn't make the monsters hit any less hard.

I actually almost lost my wizard in A1MP0 hell last night because I was melting everything with a 580 DPS weapon and got careless. I was still in my cain's set (which I immediately swapped), but it's still a cautionary tale.

Of course, you can handle MP1 or 2 if you're careful. Hell, I did MP10 on acts 1 and 2 of hell with my WD, and that was my first hardcore character. But I was MP10 from the start, and WDs are easier than monks. Anyway higher MP levels are doable in hell, but I wanted to provide a word of warning since you've been going MP0 so far.

Good luck!
Reply Quote

Hey, glad you're still staying alive. I'd recommend playing hell at MP0 even with your reduced level weapon and see how it goes before you raise the difficulty. It's easy to feel like a god when you first get that high DPS weapon, but it doesn't make the monsters hit any less hard.

I actually almost lost my wizard in A1MP0 hell last night because I was melting everything with a 580 DPS weapon and got careless. I was still in my cain's set (which I immediately swapped), but it's still a cautionary tale.

Of course, you can handle MP1 or 2 if you're careful. Hell, I did MP10 on acts 1 and 2 of hell with my WD, and that was my first hardcore character. But I was MP10 from the start, and WDs are easier than monks. Anyway higher MP levels are doable in hell, but I wanted to provide a word of warning since you've been going MP0 so far.

Good luck!

I hear ya mate and you are 100% right. I was on my way to the first waypoint at MP1 and I enter this cellar thinking, bah, nothing to it. Gawd, I had to throw in Serenity and take a potion! I did not die, but like you said, why chance it since I've been so far doing not so bad at MP0. My goal is to reach lvl 60 with my first HC character and also, I want this thread to be some sort of reference as to what the stats of a Monk should look like at each stages of the journey. I'm not pretentious enough to say that Monks should follow those stats, but at least, it gives them some sort of reference.

Dialing it back to MP0 now. Ain't worth it. Thanks for the heads up bro and...

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/9/2012 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
I agree totally with Sunshine.

Whenever I go to new content (read new Act or difficulty level), I go MP zero to get a feel of the monsters, especially Elites as I play also purist and will not have a - requirement weapon until I grind one.

It has slowed my leveling I agree (44 atm I think) but I intent like IO to make it to 60 with this one (after solving my DC lag problem I think)

Only thing is I dont know how people get to 60 in 7-9 hours when I get there in 35 maybe, playing mp10 on normal and maybe mp2-3 in nightmare ( i dont own a Cain set)
Reply Quote
I agree totally with Sunshine.

Whenever I go to new content (read new Act or difficulty level), I go MP zero to get a feel of the monsters, especially Elites as I play also purist and will not have a - requirement weapon until I grind one.

It has slowed my leveling I agree (44 atm I think) but I intent like IO to make it to 60 with this one (after solving my DC lag problem I think)

Only thing is I dont know how people get to 60 in 7-9 hours when I get there in 35 maybe, playing mp10 on normal and maybe mp2-3 in nightmare ( i dont own a Cain set)

I think, not sure, that most of them, NOT ALL, are maybe being power leveled by someone. I heard it could take as little as 3 hours to go from 0 to 60. Still slightly slower than what my Mazda 3 GT Sport can do! LOL
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/9/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol, keep us posted on your progress. As for me, heading to ZK Archives tonight and intend to beat it as well as Belial... which might be tricker in NM with the gear I have :)

Attributes
Strength 516
Dexterity 138
Intelligence 481
Vitality 681
Armor 1774
Damage 496.19

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mulzan-1895/hero/29182746
Edited by Mulzan#1895 on 12/9/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Mulzan

My wizard is at 13 hours now - level 55 in A2 hell. She's had the benefit of the AH (Cain's set) and farmed gear from my lvl 60s (star ruby in her helm), and I haven't been repeating any content. She's had + movement speed the whole time, too. I don't think you can get to 60 in 7-9 hours if you're playing solo (I sure as hell can't!).
Reply Quote
Keep up the good work man youll get to 60 :)
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Sunshine

My wizard is at 13 hours now - level 55 in A2 hell. She's had the benefit of the AH (Cain's set) and farmed gear from my lvl 60s (star ruby in her helm), and I haven't been repeating any content. She's had + movement speed the whole time, too. I don't think you can get to 60 in 7-9 hours if you're playing solo (I sure as hell can't!).

Ok, I guess 15-20 hours is probably the standard for a Cain set / Ruby caracter going solo. I'll check my total time without these to see :)
Reply Quote
Who bought my Glory Mayhem? (ilvl 31 ring)

Sold 4 nine mill. 23 Dex, 5 att speed, 1.5 cc, 10 cdmg, 9 LoH, socket.

Screenshot of my completed tab :
http://i.imgur.com/yEyiE.jpg

Thank You Good Sir.

Btw, my first lvl 60 HC toon is WD. My wd on sc is only lvl 37.
OP look 4 advice? I dont think so. He got 2 monks on sc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]