Diablo® III

My journey through HC - Monk

12/09/2012 07:28 PMPosted by ShaelUmTir
OP look 4 advice? I dont think so. He got 2 monks on sc.

It's not because I have 2 monks, one of them being Plvl 49 that I do not need advice. Proof is, if you had read the entire thread from page one, you would have seen that I did receive some very good advice that allowed me to be on the right path. Like I have said to others that issued a similar unfounded assumption, HC is NOT SC and you don't gear, spec and play the same way.

'nuf said.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 08:11 PMPosted by InstantOcean
HC is NOT SC and you don't gear, spec and play the same way.

Speak for yourself. If I could get my SC monk onto HC all I'd do is swap out gems.

BTW if you want to be a boss and dual wield you should check out my build. It pretty much wrecks !@#$, but I wouldn't use it until inferno as before inferno you're typically struggle to find two viable weapons. It also works better with high attack speed, so make sure you look for fist weapons, daggers, and swords/axes with attack speed before you start looking at spears and such. Crit chance usually takes precedent over attack speed on gear as it tends to provide more dps, but you definitely want a lot of attack speed and move speed with the dual wield build just because you rely on your quickness to survive. Think of a monk as a melee DH. You need to embrace dodge and the rng insanity that can lead to. Load up on defensive skills for when your dodge fails multiple times in a row and if you get super unlucky you always have NDE to fall back on.

Making your first character a tank is fine, but if you're anything like me you'll get very tired of the slow grind after you progress through inferno and make a few easy farming runs. Then you start to get cocky and build more offensively when you aren't geared for it and start to risk losing your character. It's sometimes better to just gear for offense outright so that you can save the despair that can result from getting cocky after having an invincible tank and progress naturally with your gear in a more offensively minded build.
Edited by emitnulB#1421 on 12/10/2012 3:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 02:54 AMPosted by emitnulB
HC is NOT SC and you don't gear, spec and play the same way.

Speak for yourself. If I could get my SC monk onto HC all I'd do is swap out gems.

BTW if you want to be a boss and dual wield you should check out my build. It pretty much wrecks !@#$, but I wouldn't use it until inferno as before inferno you're typically struggle to find two viable weapons. It also works better with high attack speed, so make sure you look for fist weapons, daggers, and swords/axes with attack speed before you start looking at spears and such. Crit chance usually takes precedent over attack speed on gear as it tends to provide more dps, but you definitely want a lot of attack speed and move speed with the dual wield build just because you rely on your quickness to survive. Think of a monk as a melee DH. You need to embrace dodge and the rng insanity that can lead to. Load up on defensive skills for when your dodge fails multiple times in a row and if you get super unlucky you always have NDE to fall back on.

Making your first character a tank is fine, but if you're anything like me you'll get very tired of the slow grind after you progress through inferno and make a few easy farming runs. Then you start to get cocky and build more offensively when you aren't geared for it and start to risk losing your character. It's sometimes better to just gear for offense outright so that you can save the despair that can result from getting cocky after having an invincible tank and progress naturally with your gear in a more offensively minded build.

LOL! Show me one person that wouldn't want to have access to their SC gems. Funny guy!

Like you asked, I looked at your profile but not because I "want to be a boss". (Be a Boss, wtf?) Just wanted to see where you're coming from. By looking at your gear and skill set, we have similar play style but we also differ on a few things. I'm not a dual-wielder for one thing. Tried it, saw the movie, bought the T-shirt, didn't like it. Yes, both were fast weapons. I prefer S&B. Also, I do not aspire to farm "super fast". Never been a goal of mine. What I do want in HC is to stay alive. Which also means that I do not tend to get cocky. Doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. Doesn't mean that I find that your build is not OK. You have beautiful gear that most monks would envy for the most part.

What I mean to say is that we have a very different approach to the game and we both have our own style. I don't pretend to have the best one and with all due respect sir, neither should you (re: Boss comment). You are obviously a good player, having finished the game in HC. I salute and respect you for that Sir. And as I enter Inferno, I do not tend to get cocky because it's long... I am rather more cautious because I know that death can await at every corner.

Be well and stay safe brother!

IO
Reply Quote
I recently switched to 2 fist weapons when the pattern became available with my BS. My DPS is up around 1200. I'm at level 40, just made it to Act 2 NM, Butcher was a little more challenging this time on MP3 but manageable. My gear still kinda sucks because nothing good drops for me and the crafting levels is getting further and further apart.

That's probably the most challenging part of playing self found. Sometimes you don't get an upgrade in 3-4 (or more) levels. I'm handing tough though! I'm really enjoying playing my monk. I'll probably go back to SnB before getting to Hell...
Reply Quote
I recently switched to 2 fist weapons when the pattern became available with my BS. My DPS is up around 1200. I'm at level 40, just made it to Act 2 NM, Butcher was a little more challenging this time on MP3 but manageable. My gear still kinda sucks because nothing good drops for me and the crafting levels is getting further and further apart.

That's probably the most challenging part of playing self found. Sometimes you don't get an upgrade in 3-4 (or more) levels. I'm handing tough though! I'm really enjoying playing my monk. I'll probably go back to SnB before getting to Hell...

Although I am not playing "pure self-found" (much respect to you for embarking yourself in such a hard endeavor and sticking to it), I find myself facing a similar problem. I don't find much that is worth it for me and I have to rely on AH to provide some pieces of upgrade when needed, but that puts a lot of stress on my budget. I should have over a million now, and I only have about 325K. As i progress, of course, every piece cost a bit more. I'm about to face Hell - Butcher and I'm really not sure if I'm ready. That is why I'm here. I'll try to find some info as to what should be the minimal specs before hitting that guy. My main concern in not the butcher himself but rather the flames in the floor that slowly increase in coverage proportionally with the time it takes you to kill him. Those flames chew your HP like crazy. With only 5.4 K DPS, I'm a bit concerned.

Will post an update soon... either about my death or my new stats before entering Act 2.

IO
Reply Quote
Quick Update: Well my friends, there will be no RIP post for me as I live to see another Act! The Butcher was actually not so bad and I was able to dispose of him with relative ease by changing a few skills and passives. The loot was terrible though. Very disappointing. Not even a piece worth selling on AH. Oh well, you can't win them all! Here's the stats:

Hell - Act 1 finished - Moving to Act 2

Level 55

- 977 DEX
- 949 VIT
- 2560 Armor - Res all 73
- 5498 DPS
- 29.6 K HP

OK, I'm not going to say again that I am concerned by my DPS. There, happy! LOL But I will tackle this new act with caution. Act II is not my favorite act and I hate those bugs! At this point, my res all is starting to bug me. It is very low and I should, I think, raise it before I meet Belial. I'll see what I can find/buy...

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/10/2012 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Quick Update: Well my friends, there will be no RIP post for me as I live to see another Act! The Butcher was actually not so bad and I was able to dispose of him with relative ease by changing a few skills and passives. The loot was terrible though. Very disappointing. Not even a piece worth selling on AH. Oh well, you can't win them all! Here's the stats:

Hell - Act 1 finished - Moving to Act 2

Level 55

- 977 DEX
- 949 VIT
- 2560 Armor - Res all 73
- 5498 DPS
- 29.6 K HP

OK, I'm not going to say again that I am concerned by my DPS. There, happy! LOL But I will tackle this new act with caution. Act II is not my favorite act and I hate those bugs! At this point, my res all is starting to bug me. It is very low and I should, I think, raise it before I meet Belial. I'll see what I can find/buy...

Be well and stay safe!

IO

Good going !

I had the same concerns (AR) when I was in Hell, and what I did was buy a cheap Obsidian ring on the AH. In your case, that would 2X your AR right there, at the expense of - presumably - some dext and vit from one of your current ring. If you think stuff is getting expensive, wait until inferno. Upgrades like the shenlong's emitnulB is wearing range from 20-150M o_O Try to buy that if you refuse to xfer gold sc-hc or "worse", RMAH-sc-hc... I am currently contemplating the palace and wondering if I should risk my monk's life to take down Belial, because I am unable to purchase upgrades that would make me feel more secure about the fight :D And I am starting to feel the pain against those frozen arcane jailer/waller molten/desecrator horde/shielding elites.

Stay alive,

Lab
Reply Quote
Good going !

I had the same concerns (AR) when I was in Hell, and what I did was buy a cheap Obsidian ring on the AH. In your case, that would 2X your AR right there, at the expense of - presumably - some dext and vit from one of your current ring. If you think stuff is getting expensive, wait until inferno. Upgrades like the shenlong's emitnulB is wearing range from 20-150M o_O Try to buy that if you refuse to xfer gold sc-hc or "worse", RMAH-sc-hc... I am currently contemplating the palace and wondering if I should risk my monk's life to take down Belial, because I am unable to purchase upgrades that would make me feel more secure about the fight :D And I am starting to feel the pain against those frozen arcane jailer/waller molten/desecrator horde/shielding elites.

Stay alive,

Lab

Hey Brother!

Thanks for the good words and support! I'll look up those rings, mate!

As for your situation, I would back off. I know it sux, but you already reached lvl 60 which is an achievement in itself. Have you considered going back to act 1 and maybe bump MP to 1 just to see if you get lucky? I mean, if you are feeling the pain now with E-packs, imagine Belial when he launches his Poison Meteor Storm on you, bro! I dunno man... I would thread carefully.

Best of luck mate and stay safe!

IO
Reply Quote
IO
I hear you !
558 ar is not quite enough I find to counter that poison.
On the other hand, I am just playing very carefully. I upped life to 78k and I just get upset when half of it is gone. I have not yet flee from any pack of elites, and none of them have made me use my "Serenity and flee" move, or NDE for that matter :) I am starting to play around Act 1 and Act 2 Dalgur mp 0 just to gather some gold. The 5 NV stack you eventually get makes the mp1 or mp2 higher % irrelevant considering the increased risks, in my opinion. Maybe I can get an interesting upgrade for 2-3M that would make me feel safer once I gather the gold.

Stay safe too !

Lab
Reply Quote
Have you considered going back to act 1 and maybe bump MP to 1 just to see if you get lucky? I mean, if you are feeling the pain now with E-packs, imagine Belial when he launches his Poison Meteor Storm on you, bro! I dunno man.

Don't play A1 MP1 if you're struggling with A2 MP0. In inferno, A1MP1 is harder than A3MP0. It's a huge jump in difficulty. Any random champ pack in A1MP1 will be more dangerous than Belial MP0, and it's not even close.
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Spiff
Upgrades like the shenlong's emitnulB is wearing range from 20-150M

I got it for 9999999. I thought it was a sick deal, that's the main reason I bought it. The off hand was 5m I think, but I just found a comparable one with an int roll which was free :).
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Sunshine
Have you considered going back to act 1 and maybe bump MP to 1 just to see if you get lucky? I mean, if you are feeling the pain now with E-packs, imagine Belial when he launches his Poison Meteor Storm on you, bro! I dunno man.

Don't play A1 MP1 if you're struggling with A2 MP0. In inferno, A1MP1 is harder than A3MP0. It's a huge jump in difficulty. Any random champ pack in A1MP1 will be more dangerous than Belial MP0, and it's not even close.

Thanks for the input and heads up mate. You are always a valuable source of good advice and tips. You make this thread worth reading.

Cheers and stay safe.

IO
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Sunshine

Agreed. This is why I stay mp0. I would not say I am struggling at Act 2, just that for the first time, my health globe gets down at half-full which I'll need to integrate in my playing. And I really don't know how badly Belial's poison will hurt me at <600 AR.

So, gold hunting for a while and trying to boost my AR to 700 through 1-2 upgrades is my next objective.

@emitnulB Thanks for the reply. I am glad you had those at a reasonable price. But consider that I have collected maybe 5M TOTAL up to now..those nice weap are still out of price for me for now :(

Lab
Reply Quote
UPDATE - RIP

Well, he fought the good fight. Died in the Desolate Sands in the VoA to a pack of those Spinning Blades. My hands were not positioned correctly for some reason and when I tried to take a potion, I was actually triggering Serenity that was already on. That gave me 3 sec and I did finally hit the potion but they had me cornered and there was nothing I could do. I was very close to lvl 58.

Oh well... back to square one. I thought and wished so much that I could do it with my first HC Monk. Well, guess what, I'll do it on the NEXT ONE! No quit! Fight goes on!!!

As for this thread, I will update it once my Monk is back to this point. Should take a while but I'll make it. I have learned a great deal!

Be well and stay safe all.

IO
Reply Quote
Saw your RIP thread. Sorry to see you go down. You'll get there next time!
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Sunshine
Saw your RIP thread. Sorry to see you go down. You'll get there next time!

For sure mate! And this thread is not over until I reach lvl60 and finish the game. I'll update it when I get there. I think I will name my next Monk "Spud" or "SpongeBob" LOL Not sure yet.

IO
Reply Quote
For sure mate! And this thread is not over until I reach lvl60 and finish the game. I'll update it when I get there. I think I will name my next Monk "Spud" or "SpongeBob" LOL Not sure yet.

IO

You can finish the game? Huh. And here I am playing A3 over and over!

Spud all the way. :)
Reply Quote

IO

You can finish the game? Huh. And here I am playing A3 over and over!

Spud all the way. :)

LMAO @ "you can finish the game?"

OK, Spud it is then! LOL
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/10/2012 4:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
I decided to start a hardcore monk myself. I am just starting Act1 NM. Trying to avoid the temptation to bump up the mp settings. I'm feeling a little invincible right now which means I need to be more cautious.

I was pumped to find a high dps -lvl requirement weapon for almost free! Got one for just 25k and it's not too bad. Others of similar quality were going for 200k or more. Looking forward to using that when I hit lvl 53. If I make it to that point, I don't plan on starting Act4 in NM until I can equip that weapon.

Are you starting your HC monk again this evening? Good luck, this thread has been very helpful for me!
Reply Quote
RIP.

I am glad to see that you are not prostrated in the corner of a dark room, but rather getting back into the fray right away. Death to the legions of Hell !

Lab
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]