Diablo® III

[BUILD] Buff Wiz - melee Wizard tank

"Buff Wiz" build = Melee Wizard tank, DPS and survivability buffer. Build that offers much more gameplay variety than standard freezers, Archon or Meteor builds.

"It's like 1 additional member of the group."
"This Wizard is awesome."
"Can you die?" (of course)
"This was my highest crit ever!"

That's what I hear from guys I fight with. And becouse of that, I think somebody will like to try it too.

----------------------

Bottom line first
- People will love you and Wiz class
- Huge DPS boost for every member of group
- Boosts survivability of ranged group members even if there are a lot of enemies
- You can resurrect group members in any situation
- Melee Wiz without shield and perma freezing
- A sh1tload of monsters around? Permafreeze and Liquefy shower. You will never get bored.

Numbers
- Group DPS buff: 32% - 51.8% (base * 1.1 * 1.2 * 1.15)
- MP10
- Freezing enemies
- Reducing enemies attack speed by 20%
- Slowing enemies movement speed by 60%
- Slowing enemies projectiles by 90%

----------------------

How does it work

0a. Slow Time, Spectral Blades, Meteor, Meteor, Frost Nova, Spectral Blades, Diamond Skin and repeat

0b. You need HIGH AP cost damage/proc skill to interrupt your Spectral Blades attacks as little as possible (Meteor costs 50 AP so it's best (the more AP the better))

1. You fight enemies using Spectral Blades and life stealing Healing Blades rune, with Slow Time bubble around you. Slow Time adds +20% damage to all members of your group, and slows attack speed and movement speed of enemies/projectiles in bubble.

2. When you hit enemy, you proc burning and cold/chill to them, thanks to your Fire weapon and +Cold amulet. All group members fighting same enemies like you gets another +10% damage buff from Conflagnation passive and another 20% damage bonus for you.

3. When you can, you cast Frost Nova, that freezes enemies and gives +15% damage buff to all group members thanks to Bone Chill rune.

4. When you have Arcane Power for casting Meteor, cast it. Meteor does nice damage and Liquefy rune procs your Critical Mass passive + burning ground does nice damage (that stacks).

5. When you see some arcanes around (or big enemy attacking/rocks falling), cast Diamond Skin. With Crystal Shell rune and "high" armor/resistances you are safe.

----------------------

Active skills
Key 1: Meteor - Liquefy (we need AP spender)
Key 2: Diamond Skin - Crystal Shell
Key 3: Frost Nova - Bone Chill
Key 4: Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor

Left Mouse: Spectral Blades - Healing Blades (5% Life Steal)
Right Mouse: Slow Time - Time Warp

Passive skills
- Critical Mass
- Conflagnation
- Cold Blooded

Armor/Weapon setting
- "High" armor (6000+ Prisma buffed), resistances (850+ Prisma buffed), attack speed (2.4+) and life (50k+)
- Weapon with Fire damage (I use Chantodos)
- Ammy with +Cold (Tal Rasha's Allegiance)
- Life Steal (for 115k+ DPS) or Life on Hit (for lower DPS) on wep/armor
- Not so important: Spectral Blades damage buff on Chantodos Force source
- My crit chance is just 30% and crit damage (not sure now) just 180%

----------------------

Act 1... Bulls elites 1 shotting some other friends. Trees with poison flowers on the ground around. Arcanes.
vs.
You, making sure you are in front of this sh1t. Demon Hunters/ranged Wizards behind you. You stand still, sometimes bulls pushes you back. How does it end? 500 gold for repairs. Barbs checking your profile.

Maghda uber fight... Arcanes here and there, arrows from Skeleton Kings minions around, your friend is dead on the ground.
vs.
You, coming to his flag, freezing all enemies, slowing projectiles by 90% with Slow Time, putting Diamond Skin, resurrecting friend without problems.

Ghoms poison cloud on MP10...
vs.
You, standing in that sh1tload of clouds, buffing everyones damage by 30-45% and looking at your health pool. Yes, sometimes I die here, but only when my ego keeps me from moving a little more left or right. You can do better.

----------------------

Some of my friends tested it and this is their common first impression...

"Damn this is awesome, I feel immort..." (dead)

Common mistakes
- Wicked Wind instead of Meteor - it will work better in some areas, but not overall: you need spell with highest possible AP cost and rock Healing Blades and Meteors 6:1
- Storm Armor instead of Prismatic Armor - not working for me
- Lack of Life Steal or Life on Hit

----------------------

Skill calculator: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WgPXYO!geW!YZcacc
My profile for gear setting: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RobertVarga-1345/hero/4856321

----------------------

Video
MP5 durability demontstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoPX_5l6J8

My PC can't handle recording very well. My char sometimes doesn't do full 2.48 attacks per second - no Life Steal in that situations, but doesn't matter.
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 4/30/2013 8:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lol, for a second, I thought you were directing this post at Blizzard.

"Blizzard, buff wiz! people will love you!" :)
Reply Quote
:-D ... no QQ, just the build...
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 11/21/2012 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Would love to see a vid of this in action.

Would you consider this CM-based or "other" for the build compendium?
Reply Quote
Hi, it uses CM as a very important part of the build.
Reply Quote
You use cm. you use FN. So you're CM just using worthless blades/EA instead of nigher damages SNS build which you can give party same buffs with.

I want to see MP 10 melee wiz without FN or mocking demise. Let alone CM.

Yeah buff wiz.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/21/2012 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well I'm melee and I don't use fn or cm, but geez those frozen affix is getting on my nerves
Fire chain not too bad but lots of close calls in mp7
I wouldn't dare try mp10 lol

But seriously wiz needs defence buff, its just not fair that there are no passive dmg reduction on "non physical" attacks

(I even tried 1200 resist all and it does jack all)
Reply Quote
ive tried 7400 armor and 1250 ar with prismatics and sheild which also has a 35% chance to block! I;ve tried 12000 armor and 920 AR with crystallize and my shield. Thats ar and armor affix on amlost everything and carrying shield. We just get owned even with these ridiculous defenses without freezing of some sort.

I cant even heal as fast as damage is delt. with healing blades, with BM, with 1000loh and with high ias so I'm hitting them way faster than they hit me.

Buff wiz
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 11/21/2012 10:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 04:12 AMPosted by RobertVarga
2. When you hit enemy, you proc burning and cold/chill to them, thanks to your Fire weapon and +Cold amulet.

Stopped reading from here.
Reply Quote
May I ask why you guys are so negative? :-/

2. When you hit enemy, you proc burning and cold/chill to them, thanks to your Fire weapon and +Cold amulet.

Stopped reading from here.

Why? It both works, when using Spectral Blades...
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 11/21/2012 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
Basically, the CM staples are like this.

WW for proc.
FN for freeze.
DS for defense and ensure position maintenance (also one of the few good counters to Reflect as of now).

There's the basic 3.

The rest depends on your desired balance for offense versus defense (and if you play solo or in groups).

EB, Storm Armor, Meteor.

Time Warp, Teleport, Energy Armor.

Choose 3 of those 6. That's basically the whole build and variants in a nutshell.

11/21/2012 04:12 AMPosted by RobertVarga
3. When you can, you cast Frost Nova, that freezes enemies and gives +15% damage buff to all group members thanks to Bone Chill rune.

Unfortunately, the rune applies to the caster only.
Reply Quote
Meteor's ground-burning effect does not stack.
Reply Quote
Posted by RobertVarga

fortunately, i believe it applies to whole party
Reply Quote
Posted by RobertVarga

Ah, yeah, I got it reversed with Cold Blooded. Silly me.
Reply Quote
Posted by RobertVarga

fortunately, you are correct.

also: Fire dmg on a weapon does not endow player with benefits from conflagration passive. Only fire dmg spells e.g. meteor/fire hydra/etc works here -- not fire elemental dmg with any spell
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 11/21/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
@op i like that u tried to make spec blades work, but honestly they nerfed the proc ratio on it to severly, so as to make it unusable for a melee wiz.
ive tried to make a blade meteor build work but it just does not cooldown spells fast enough
Reply Quote
Well, I got confirmation for everything I wrote below on these forums or Blizz Support itself, so... Also, I tested it ingame for last couple of months...
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Merkyor
Meteor's ground-burning effect does not stack.

Yes it stacks... You can check it by enabling "Display (critical)damage numbers".

@op i like that u tried to make spec blades work, but honestly they nerfed the proc ratio on it to severly, so as to make it unusable for a melee wiz.
ive tried to make a blade meteor build work but it just does not cooldown spells fast enough

You don't need it. I will try to make a video and post it here, but my computer is so slow... I will try.
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 11/21/2012 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
actually healing blade is really nice, it help me over come reflect damage with only 380 resist, lolz. It really save me the hassle of tp back to town and re-equip resist gear just for one pack.

actually what damage type is reflect damage anyway? i know it's not phys, since my barb stack a lot of phy and still get wreck by reflect some times.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]