Diablo® III

Total Noob needs help :S

So I just got Diablo and after a while I decided to dedicate to the WD and am still finishing up normal difficulty.

My question is: what are some tricks of the trade? I hear something about builds but can't find anything specific?

I dunno just general tips and such would be much appreciated :) Thanks guys

EDIT: I finished normal yesterday (thanks to tigerclan) and am now playing through nightmare (which is much more fun this time around). :)
Edited by fingrknitter#1794 on 11/30/2012 12:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't think you should bother with builds and how to gear ur character this early, you probably won't need to worry about this stuff until u reach inferno.

Most buids out there, you would need a high level just to be able to equip the skills, but anyways, you should focus for these stats: Int, Vit, All resists, Armor, Crit Hit Chance and Crit Hit Damage. This is pretty generic and would be enough to give you some focus.

Along with your leveling up process, you will be learning how the skills work, and then you should be able to understand and use the builds out there. I would just enjoy Normal, Nightmare and Hell.

Good Luck
Reply Quote
I don't think you should bother with builds and how to gear ur character this early, you probably won't need to worry about this stuff until u reach inferno.

Most buids out there, you would need a high level just to be able to equip the skills, but anyways, you should focus for these stats: Int, Vit, All resists, Armor, Crit Hit Chance and Crit Hit Damage. This is pretty generic and would be enough to give you some focus.

Along with your leveling up process, you will be learning how the skills work, and then you should be able to understand and use the builds out there. I would just enjoy Normal, Nightmare and Hell.

Good Luck

Thanks for the nice response :) Ya I have been figuring it out a bit recently, I went from 40 damage to 80 just by prioritizing intelligence from one gear choice pretty much :S Also figuring out stuff like the giant toad is pretty useless...

But ya thanks for the response :) Normal is easy so I will be looking forward to nightmare and hell :)
Reply Quote
Like jesus said, you don't really need to worry about builds untill inferno. For your first three difficulties, try out all the different spells and see which you like and which you don't, learn the mechanics of your spells and of the monsters. Just focus on Intelligence and Vitality for now, always using the highest DPS weapon you can find.

Once you hit inferno you will need to start looking for other stats in your gear; the basics being armor and all resists for defense, and crit chance/damage for DPS. That will also be the time to start reading up on WD builds and mulling around WD theory. Some commonly used skills to keep in mind would be Zombie Bears and Acid Cloud for attacks, Spirit Walk is used by almost every WD for the utility/survival, also Soul Harvest is a big buff that people like.

By the time you're in inferno you should have a good idea of how you like to play your WD and can plan out your skills accordingly, there are lots of options for the WD so you'll have lots to play around with.
Reply Quote
View profile
Like jesus said, you don't really need to worry about builds untill inferno. For your first three difficulties, try out all the different spells and see which you like and which you don't, learn the mechanics of your spells and of the monsters. Just focus on Intelligence and Vitality for now, always using the highest DPS weapon you can find.

Once you hit inferno you will need to start looking for other stats in your gear; the basics being armor and all resists for defense, and crit chance/damage for DPS. That will also be the time to start reading up on WD builds and mulling around WD theory. Some commonly used skills to keep in mind would be Zombie Bears and Acid Cloud for attacks, Spirit Walk is used by almost every WD for the utility/survival, also Soul Harvest is a big buff that people like.

By the time you're in inferno you should have a good idea of how you like to play your WD and can plan out your skills accordingly, there are lots of options for the WD so you'll have lots to play around with.

Ya I have already been experimenting (only just got acid cloud) but I sometimes have a hard time deciding what to prioritize and what is "better".

I think I am getting the hang of it though ;) As I said before intelligence made my life so much easier, I don't know WHAT I was doing before :S
Reply Quote
might be usefull to you to understand that int is the stat that witch doctors and wizards use to boost dps, str for barbarians, and dex for demon hunters and monks.

each stat has some extra, for example, every 10 points in int, you get 1 point to all resists. 1 point in str gives you 1 armor, and dex gives you dodge, dont know how much.
Reply Quote
I would say the single most helpful thing I found when leveling up started getting harder was get some Life on Hit. You can find it on weapons, rings, amulets, and a few other special legendary items. Also, once things start getting harder try to get your resists all to at least 600.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/27/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Lojo
I would say the single most helpful thing I found when leveling up started getting harder was get some Life on Hit. You can find it on weapons, rings, amulets, and a few other special legendary items. Also, once things start getting harder try to get your resists all to at least 600.

Ok great ya thanks :) I have been trying to upgrade the various crafting people (jeweler and blacksmith) and have had good luck so far with making myself decent gear for the time being. So far it has been 10 times better than 2 of the 3 legendaries I have found (the one I did find was an axe that summons a ghost of some sort so I gave it to a friend of mine since I had no use for it).

I also started getting that life on hit as well but I don't think I have enough yet for it to make enough of a difference.

Thanks everyone for the good advice :)
Reply Quote
check my wd build
Reply Quote
View profile
11/28/2012 03:29 PMPosted by nup
check my wd build

Ya I am a little behind I think ;) I so desperately want to get nice drops, should I bother getting MF? I am in normal difficulty right now so....I am pretty sure I could beat it with out any armor but once I pass that should I bother with the MF or just go full out offense/defense and skip it?
Reply Quote
In normal difficulty, just go for dps.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/28/2012 08:14 PMPosted by loboSG
In normal difficulty, just go for dps.

What I am trying to say is...its pretty damn easy not to die so since I can hold back on having the UTMOST strongest dps/armour should I get something like GF or MF until I get to harder difficulties or just not bother?
Reply Quote
this
Reply Quote
View profile
11/29/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Willzyaxx
this

...I will never know what "this" is I guess....
Reply Quote
View profile
In normal nightmare and hell the most important thing is try out all skill.

Try them all out. Nearly all WD skill is interesting and can be use even in inferno MP10!
Reply Quote
i might have some WD items to rid of if interested..

(Assuming you aren't diablo 3 rich already hahaha)

lmk.. tigerclan#1195
Reply Quote
View profile
In normal nightmare and hell the most important thing is try out all skill.

Try them all out. Nearly all WD skill is interesting and can be use even in inferno MP10!

Good advice, will do ;)

i might have some WD items to rid of if interested..

(Assuming you aren't diablo 3 rich already hahaha)

lmk.. tigerclan#1195

Sure, add me too :) No I am not diablo rich XD just look at my profile....and if there would be anything I could give you in return (out of principle) I will ;)

I will be on later tonight, like 4+ hours from now for sure, maybe earlier.
Edited by fingrknitter#1794 on 11/29/2012 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
My advise for leveling a WD:

Use pets, dogs and gargantua. They help so much.
At low level Firebats rule, as you level they get less awesome.
Acid cloud takes over from Firebats at some point as most awesome.
(experiment to find out)
Big slow two handed weapon with Acid Cloud is very good while leveling.
(Fyi, big slow two handed weapons are much better if you mostly use high damage, high mana cost spells like Acid cloud. Small fast one handed weapons + mojo are better for lower cost spells like Poison Dart.)

Use socketed gear!!!!!
You can buy cheap leveling gear on the AH that has sockets.
You can buy cheap gems on the AH to put in those sockets that are designed for level 55+ and thus are very strong at lower levels.

Buy weapons on the AH that have the "lower level requirement" mod. Can make a huge difference in dps.
Reply Quote
At this point in your class' career, I would say focus on trying out all of the skill/runes, learn how to stutter step/kite, and just get a feel for what is what. You will find what works best for you. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]