Diablo® III

10 to 1 armor ratio is Stupid

I'm honestly a little surprised to hear people recommending this. Maybe if you're a barb with 2k to armor that's a reasonable goal, but anyone else, ESPECIALLY monks, should have far more res than armor. IT's just SO much easier to get.

I see this armor/allres question a lot. However, when comparing to pieces of gear, keep in mind that it's a % increase interest.

If you have 630+ allres and 3k or so armor, then armor is ABOUT 1.5 times as good as allres (after you've /10 of course).

Example, you have 3573 armor, I'm going to assume 700 allres. (Reasonable for a monk, wiz, or WD).

Your effective health multiplier from these two things is 1/(1-3573/(3150+3573))*(1-700/(315+700)).

Looking only at strength, we can make it look a little simpler by changing the equation to 1+3573/3150, which is 2.13. Resistance is similarly 1+700/315 which is 3.22. We want to change these by the largest FRACTION possible, since they multiply. Doubling one doubles your EHP. Now if that takes 3150 armor, or 1200 resistance, armor's better. Let's look at what 10 more armor would do as compared to 1 allres.

(1+3583/3150)/2.13 = 1.00149, or a .15% increase in survivability.

(1+701/315)/3.22 = 1.00098, or a .098% increase in survivability.

Or that 10 armor is roughly 1.5 allres. So, if you compare to things, divide the armor by 10 mentally, easy enough, and then think that you'd need half again as much allres to equal that.

So, looking at 245 armor, that's 24, cause we're mentaling it, and that becomes 36 allres. Don't attempt to balance your res and armor at some value, that's just silly. It's MUCH easier to get allres or specific resists on pieces of gear than it is to get armor. It's better to compare piece by piece.
Reply Quote
Bump for maths?
Reply Quote
We know about the resist armor ratios, but here's the thing: Armor maxes out at +200-300 while resist maxes out at +80.
Since resist all is just 10 int, and armor = 1 str, you can see that 80 resist all is equal to 800 armor. That's on top of whatever stats the base armor rolls. So who cares if armor gives you more EHP then resist all, where the hell are you gonna find 800 armor?
Reply Quote
Please delete this post. Nubs who go nuts over 10:1 ratio are the only reason I can sell armor pieces with +armor instead of AR.
Reply Quote
We know about the resist armor ratios, but here's the thing: Armor maxes out at +200-300 while resist maxes out at +80.
Since resist all is just 10 int, and armor = 1 str, you can see that 80 resist all is equal to 800 armor. That's on top of whatever stats the base armor rolls. So who cares if armor gives you more EHP then resist all, where the hell are you gonna find 800 armor?

Your tone sounds like you're disagreeing with me... And yet your words are just repeating what I said...
Reply Quote

Yup, I agree. Due to the way the affix system works, we're not trading resist for armor in a 1:10 ratio, but rather ~75 resist for ~250 armor. Unless you play an int class with high int and 0 strength on all low-rolled i58 pieces, you'll probably never hit the point where trading a high AR affix will be worth receiving an armor affix in return. Of course, if one's budget doesn't allow for pieces with 70+ AR, then +armor rolls can often be a cheap alternative.
Reply Quote
Pffft EZ

I still need to fix my single resists though, had em for extra AR set now missing 2 cuz of saccing other things :( Hard to pass up them AR+STR+armor deals though, gotta take em while they there cuz they rarer than SR+AR.

Basically since my good ring isn't updating (Arcane + AR) I just need physical resist back that I had on my former witching hour changed on my tal rasha instead of cold since i have that on my mara's.

PLAN PLAN PLAN, don't blindly upgrade. Use STR + Armor. Just gotta think outside the box and work at it.

Consider this: at paragon 100 you'll have an extra 87 AR but only an extra 87 armor, NOT 870. Prioritize armor and str now where u can, saves money too. I've been gearing like this for 3 months though, way ahead of the game.

You WILL gain more EHP being closer near 10:1 balanced, it's just fact. Diabloprogress shows this fact. Dismissing it just shows laziness and not wanting to work your gear around it cuz you're comfortable where you're at and it's 'against the grain' or you don't want to sacrifice your pretty sheet dps for this and rather just keep INT massing while getting more AR and further diminishing your EHP effectiveness. Plain and simple.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 11/28/2012 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Pffft EZ

I still need to fix my single resists though, had em for extra AR set now missing 2 cuz of saccing other things :( Hard to pass up them AR+STR+armor deals though, gotta take em while they there cuz they rarer than SR+AR.

Basically since my good ring isn't updating (Arcane + AR) I just need physical resist back that I had on my former witching hour changed on my tal rasha instead of cold since i have that on my mara's.

PLAN PLAN PLAN, don't blindly upgrade. Use STR + Armor. Just gotta think outside the box and work at it.

Consider this: at paragon 100 you'll have an extra 87 AR but only an extra 87 armor, NOT 870. Prioritize armor and str now where u can, saves money too. I've been gearing like this for 3 months though, way ahead of the game.

You WILL gain more EHP being closer near 10:1 balanced, it's just fact. Diabloprogress shows this fact. Dismissing it just shows laziness and not wanting to work your gear around it cuz you're comfortable where you're at and it's 'against the grain' or you don't want to sacrifice your pretty sheet dps for this and rather just keep INT massing while getting more AR and further diminishing your EHP effectiveness. Plain and simple.

You're wrong, and I proved it. You can't call it "Just math." What are you smoking? Are you talking as a barb here? There is NO reason to get strength over int on an item as an int class. And paragon 100? I don't know what you're talking about. If you're class is barbarian you'll have 300 extra armor. As a WD/Wiz you'll have 30 extra AR.

I honestly have NO idea what you're talking about. Are you really trying to get strength on pieces for a wiz/WD? Strength IS a better mitigating stat than int, ESPECIALLY on a WD/Wiz, but at MOST, by 1.5 or so times as much. Not worth the COMPLETE loss of damage. AR is more important than armor. Sure, you're 200 strength and 200 armor amounts to a whopping 400 armor, or 60 allres... But my 60 allres and 200 int amount to 80 allres and about 10% increase in damage. Honestly dude, not sure what you're smoking.
Edited by Guybrush#1585 on 11/28/2012 4:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Stack everything on everything you can. Sack certain things in slots that can get good offensive stats.

Congrats you now know how to gear properly.
Reply Quote
when ppl say 10 to 1, it doesn't mean intentionally gimp yourself on AR and armor just so that its close to 10 to 1. it means... if you have a choice between something like 50 AR and 300 armor, you can make the decision based on how much AR and armor you currently have and calculating which one gives you more dmg mitigation.
Reply Quote
Download an EHP calculator, please.
Reply Quote
The reason they made the mitigation formulas for armor and 10*res (not vice versa, it's a scaling argument, where if you set r -> 10r the mitigation formula looks identical to the armor formula) is because, while gear bonuses typically give way more resistance than Armor/10, that effect is balanced out by the fact that armor passively appears on most pieces of gear while resistance doesn't.

Now, when doing this, the developers didn't account for the fact that most people will have high resistances on most pieces of gear. Because of this, resistance typically becomes much more abundant than armor for most high end gear sets.

You're right, OP. Typically, even when we calculate what the armor/10 to resistance benefit ratio is for our current gear, it's still much easier to get that ratio times resistance than it is to get that much armor/10. Thus, even when we have res > armor/10, we're still always tempted to upgrade our resistances rather than our armor.

How to rectify this? Well, I don't really know if they need to.

However, the "set your armor to be 10x your resistance" mantra is still a decent one to follow for people with low end gear who can't stack high resistance on their equipment yet, but can still get armor more easily.
Reply Quote
another thing about EHP,.. lets say for example, you have 10K current EHP and with armor and AR get it up to 20K EHP. thats a huge jump even though you can say its only 10K EHP.

now lets say theoretically you have 1 million EHP.. and through armor and AR, you now have 1,010,000 EHP. that means nothing. yea the EHP is the same amount. i always hear EHP is linear which is true, but that doesn't really matther the more current EHP you have. what matters is the diminishing value of armor and AH.

if you AR is already really really high, sure with the same amount you can get the same EHP, but you would better be served getting armor instead if your armor is way low. et.c..
Reply Quote
Hmmm, I think I misread your Original post. Oh well.

PS There's another factor that people are forgetting about, armor affix is much cheaper than resist all. Who cares if there is a belt with 80 all resist, if I can't afford it. Now, if I can get a belt with 200 armor, I just saved a bundle of money while still getting some protection. It just gets really tricky when you need all 6 affixes. i.e. I'm looking for a belt that has high int, vit, resist all, and armor. The auction house has 0. =.=
Reply Quote
There you go good day, that's a more reasonable ratio. Not reasonable numbers mind you, but a reasonable ratio. Well, perhaps a little high on the resist, but your a monk, so I guess that's ok. Now at good days point, allres really is only half as good. 300 armor difference is 60 allres.
Edited by Guybrush#1585 on 11/28/2012 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Pffft EZ

You're wrong, and I proved it. You can't call it "Just math." What are you smoking? Are you talking as a barb here? There is NO reason to get strength over int on an item as an int class. And paragon 100? I don't know what you're talking about. If you're class is barbarian you'll have 300 extra armor. As a WD/Wiz you'll have 30 extra AR.

I honestly have NO idea what you're talking about. Are you really trying to get strength on pieces for a wiz/WD? Strength IS a better mitigating stat than int, ESPECIALLY on a WD/Wiz, but at MOST, by 1.5 or so times as much. Not worth the COMPLETE loss of damage. AR is more important than armor. Sure, you're 200 strength and 200 armor amounts to a whopping 400 armor, or 60 allres... But my 60 allres and 200 int amount to 80 allres and about 10% increase in damage. Honestly dude, not sure what you're smoking.

Nope sorry not smoking just know how to gear wisely. Your 200 int 60 AR pieces eh? Where are those? Ooooh you don't have any. Cuz they're FRICKEN expensive right? But wait, how expensive are the low 1xx int + str + armor pieces? NOT that expensive right? Oh and they do BETTER for your mitigation?

No brainer dude, don't get mad at me cuz you're too lazy to gear armor. It's easy mode and you really aren't sacrificing a thing. Be stupid though and keep goaling for those 150-200 int pieces with 70 AR and spending a fortune meanwhile the 100-150 with off main stats, single resists or mitigations will not only save you more money but help you in the long run.

Like I said some day you're gonna be paragon 100 with an extra *250* int just from that and go..damn Did I REALLY need 200 more int on top of that when I could have had 400-500 more armor instead?

How am I wrong in that you will gain more EHP being closer to 10:1? Diabloprogress lies then? Get a clue, stop blinding upgrading before calling something stupid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]