Diablo® III

Return to D3 or start TL2?

The ARPG itch is coming backing... Is D3 worth returning to for someone who hasn't played since 1.02 or something? Alternatively, should I bite the bullet ($10-$20) and play Torchlight 2?

D3
+ Familiarity
+ Better drops than before (?!)
+ Nice combat and graphics
- Same ol' monsters and story
- RMAH
- Same ol' crappy loot (?!)
- No meaningful endgame content

TL2
+ Fresh "story"
+ Random dungeons
+ More "classic" ARPG traits
- Inferior graphics style (in my opinion)
- Need to shell out some lunch money
Edited by Kirin#1980 on 12/1/2012 6:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2=A more skill based gear which is not totally gear dependent .Careful planning is needed in elite to be successful.

Diablo 3=A totally gear dependent game where skill plays little factor.

I've gone back to Torchlight 2 and am really enjoying myself.
Edited by Bluddflagg#6648 on 12/1/2012 8:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Path of Exile

+ $10 gets you into the closed beta (open beta this month, where it'll be free to play)
+ No pay2win, RMAH, XP boosts or any gameplay-ruining stuff like that
+ Huge diversity in character build options
+ Grimdark D2 graphics style
+ No-gold barter economy with currency items solves or minimises many of the problems of a gold-based economy
+ Lots of random dungeons
+ Endgame Maps system provides continuous challenge for high-level players

- Graphics and animation aren't at the same level as D3, but then again the game is being made by 20 people
- Combat isn't as smooth as D3
Reply Quote
play both if you like both. if you can't even spend 20$ for TL2 you should shoot yourself in the foot twice for D3 then since its 3x the price.
Diablo 3 Campaign normal mode (FORCED) = 8 hours.
Torchlight 2 campaign elite mode (CHOICE) = 65 hours
first time through.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 12/2/2012 4:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
TL2 is well worth buying. Its a very fun game.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin
I tried returning to diablo 3 after playing TL2 for a month. It's really hard. Diablo 3 seems to be a much slower paced game.

Once you play a beserker, you will probably never go back to Diablo again.

TL 2 is a much greater skill game and offer a variety of viable and fun builds, including some that are a tad bizarre, like a melee sorc.
Reply Quote
I tried returning to diablo 3 after playing TL2 for a month. It's really hard. Diablo 3 seems to be a much slower paced game.

TL 2 is a much greater skill game and offer a variety of viable and fun builds, including some that are a tad bizarre, like a melee sorc.

Lol.

Anyway, I've played the demo. Wasn't too overly impressed with it.
Reply Quote

Lol.

How far does the demo let you go? Just curious.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin

Lol.

How far does the demo let you go? Just curious.

Leveil 15 or 16; I believe, it stops after the troll boss.
Reply Quote

Lol.

and you're impress with D3? Kidding right?

TL2 is a way better game. Way way better than D3 with loads of replayability.

Play on elite if normal is too easy.. however the difficulty steps up as you progress through the game.

I had way much more fun in TL2 than boring redundant play on D3 + that dumb!@#$ RMAH/AH feature of D3 just spoiled all of it.

Path of Exile is another one similar... not into it tho by just watching and researching it on youtube/web

Get TL2, from my experience of it so far, it had not let me down, strongest point being the awesome sound/music, awesome skill choices, pets, additional spells, tons of item types, enhancements and item characteristics that actually made sense (D3 items sucks srsly once u understand TL2 mechanics).

btw TL2 is made by the original D1/2 team... so u're sticking with the right bunch of devs that first made the ARPG great.

p.s. dont give me excuse that graphics sucks for TL2.. i play on a high end gaming PC (ATI Radeon 5750, Core i5, 4GB RAM) with 1920x1200 resolution and it looked fantastic. All those whines are for fast quitters that did not go deeper into the game and are fanboys of D3.. ignore the trolls please and learn to have REAL FUN - it's found in TL2. :)
Edited by MarkXKiller#6473 on 12/12/2012 10:06 PM PST
Reply Quote

Lol.

and you're impress with D3? Kidding right?

TL2 is a way better game. Way way better than D3 with loads of replayability.

Play on elite if normal is too easy.. however the difficulty steps up as you progress through the game.

I had way much more fun in TL2 than boring redundant play on D3 + that dumb!@#$ RMAH/AH feature of D3 just spoiled all of it.

Path of Exile is another one similar... not into it tho by just watching and researching it on youtube/web

Get TL2, from my experience of it so far, it had not let me down, strongest point being the awesome sound/music, awesome skill choices, pets, additional spells, tons of item types, enhancements and item characteristics that actually made sense (D3 items sucks srsly once u understand TL2 mechanics).

btw TL2 is made by the original D1/2 team... so u're sticking with the right bunch of devs that first made the ARPG great.

p.s. dont give me excuse that graphics sucks for TL2.. i play on a high end gaming PC (ATI Radeon 5750, Core i5, 4GB RAM) with 1920x1200 resolution and it looked fantastic. All those whines are for fast quitters that did not go deeper into the game and are fanboys of D3.. ignore the trolls please and learn to have REAL FUN - it's found in TL2. :)

Just because I said B wasn't impressive, doesn't mean A automatically is. However, D3 did do a great job in the combat animation department (NOT the skill runes, NOT the lack of skill trees, but the satisfying beating of monsters).

Sorry, I don't play games based on developers' reputation anymore.

I will likely try out TL2 once more, but as it stands (especially after playing D3 and other ARPGs), it offers nothing ground-breaking.
Reply Quote
tl2 is a great game if you like single player.dont expect anything from multiplayer.not enought player,the gear dont have any value because of that stupid mods tool(you can make,change everything in the game like item,skill,map,lvl etc,like a legit way to cheat).

the game itself is pretty nice with the stats distribution,lot of possible build with the skill tree,drop rate is decent.you can finish the 4 act in like a day,reach lvl 100 in few days,a week so its really quick.the story is a little crappy....once you reach lvl 100,finish your build and get all the gear you want,well there nothing else to do exept reroll another character and try something else.the end game gear (unique/legendary) have fixe stats so once you get them,you wont get any better gear then that.

overall,if you want to reroll,try different build and play alone,go with tl2.if you want to farm and hope to get better and better gear and get some *credit* for all the time you farmed and be proud of your character,go for d3.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Shaman
deleted
Edited by Icon0clast#1542 on 12/16/2012 9:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
PoE fan here too, been in beta and like it, but didn't play too far on 5 classes, waiting on release, should be an excellent game.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Zakard
tl2 is a great game if you like single player.dont expect anything from multiplayer.not enought player,the gear dont have any value because of that stupid mods tool(you can make,change everything in the game like item,skill,map,lvl etc,like a legit way to cheat).

There is always this and other links on the site.

https://sites.google.com/site/vlgplayers/
Reply Quote
il give you another advise lol,go play path of exile instead ^^.i just strated few day ago and DAMN,really solide game,amazing in every aspect.at first it looked !@#$y after watching some stream but....i was wrong lol

currently in close beta and cost 10$ to get a key but its suposed to go open beta the 23 january.cb to ob=wipe but it will be the last one :) hard to beleive it will be a free to play
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]