Diablo® III

Deities and the afterlife in Diablo?

So who is this "Akarat" guy? I might be missing out on something here because I have never played any of the previous Diablo games (dont hurt me...) but from what i have heard from the NPCs in the game it sounds as if he is some sort of deity but according to the Diablo wiki, he was once just a zakarum prophet. So when they say "may Akarat bless you" do they simply mean something along the lines of "may you emulate Akarat"? Or did his enlightenment some how grant him power in the afterlife? This brings me to another question...

Where do the souls of people go when they die in the Diablo universe? Or maybe there simply isnt a concept of an afterlife in Diablo? But how come the culture of the witch doctor completely revolves around the idea of the "Unformed land" where the souls of everybody, not just the people of the Teganze, go to when they die. Then there's also that one line that Lyndon utters in the Arreat crater when he jokingly says that when he was young, people told him that he'll end up in hell if he didnt change his ways. Does this mean that the afterlife in Diablo is similar to that of Abrahamic religions wherein sinful people go to hell and righteous people go to heaven to become angels? But wouldnt that be illogical considering the fact that humans were the result of interbreeding between demons and angels?

I guess im over analyzing at this point but it would really be appreciated if someone can clear some of this up for me.
Reply Quote
88 Human Mage
This is Hindu, when you die, you come back to life as yourself. When your foes die, they come back. It is a never ending cycle.
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 01:31 AMPosted by CactuShroom
So who is this "Akarat" guy? I might be missing out on something here because I have never played any of the previous Diablo games (dont hurt me...) but from what i have heard from the NPCs in the game it sounds as if he is some sort of deity but according to the Diablo wiki, he was once just a zakarum prophet. So when they say "may Akarat bless you" do they simply mean something along the lines of "may you emulate Akarat"? Or did his enlightenment some how grant him power in the afterlife? This brings me to another question...

its their idea of god.

of course, they are completely ignorant if the story is what blizzard makes it, tamathet and anu and all....
Reply Quote
Kormac: Do you believe in the Afterlife?
Demon Hunter: No. Isn't this life bad enough?
Wizard: My studies indicate that it is unlikely.
Me: What about all those ghosts that you've fought, and the Witch Doctors' abilities?
Demon Hunter and Wizard: Uhhh ... Oops.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]