Diablo® III

Lag Conclusion

I have a very high-end PC and premium ISP but have been fighting horrible lag spikes since the last patch. The latest ticket provided all system info as well as pathping info and the ticket was deleted! Tonight's run was with minimal graphics settings and the lag spikes are still there. Unplayable at this point.

After extensive testing and the process of elimination I've concluded that (1) D3 players (those that are left) have been moved to a surplus server - the same one that does Blizzard's secret Santa list and office supplies and (2) Blizzard could care less. Even with WOW post-patch lag problems, Blizzard acknowledged the problem and worked through it.

Enjoy the xpac people.
Reply Quote
Agreed. I'm having the exact same issue. Player can still move, but everything else is frozen.. then bam.. it kicks back in and youre dead.
Reply Quote
Same. Had Cable modem and wires replaced. Tech support monitored my line and said no issues were present. Reinstalled all drivers. Installed new OS. Toyed around with every setting. No luck so I'm ready to move on.
Reply Quote
Yep. I'm on a college network and before the patch I never went above 200ms. Now even in a private game I range between 250-1600 in combat and 140-190 out of combat.

I've got a wired connection (1.0Gbps) and there aren't that many people on my floor to make a difference.

Either way, as a hardcore player the game is unplayable for me.
Reply Quote
After another two days of constant lag I'm done. Its always a "PC" issue on these forums. I think not. Three separate connections in different places with business ISP accounts and max U/d. I'm sick of total lag in the middle of a boss fight and everything freezing but my character then I'm dead. Pointless to even play.
Reply Quote
This is truly a shame.
I've been trying to beat HC with a friend of mine and he's died a few times. I'm 28 at the moment and have not reached past the first part of act III due to him dieing and me boosting him again and again. I know this is not me, I'm on a 100mbit KabelBW connection that I have no other lag on including other Blizzard games such as WoW. I've also been using a connection monitor to... well monitor the connection while this is going on and I have seen no abnormalities.
Please fix this soon, this is getting way past annoying or the stage of "haha you died again".

EDIT: To note, I'm playing on EU servers, not US. You can only see my "Test" US character here.
Edited by Darkso1der#1428 on 12/5/2012 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am on day two of two days off and I was really looking forward to playing but can't because of the lag.

Have we not progressed enough technologically that lag issues should not exists? Internet and computer speeds have improved beyond the demands of typical software, so why are we experiencing this so consistently?

I get that they want to attempt to limit piracy, but any game released by Blizzard in the future that requires a connection to the internet to play (short of an MMO) you can count me out.

Not trying to troll or !@#$%, but I just want to play a game I bought any time I wish - let me grab patches as I see fit/as they're released, but forcing me to have a connection to the net is stupid if its not even going to work right.
Reply Quote
Im from the EU... forums there are less active so posting here in hope that there's more of a response...

My latency is at around 250ms constantly in the last week and the game loses a lot of its fun, of course i get spikes in the 500ms range and i traceroute and the culprit is my isp which is the 'best' one here by far (i live in greece so not many reliable alternatives here)...

The game is badly designed imo... i understand the point of DRM and here it is badly implemented... always online is not the problem... the problem is why design a game on FPS latency requirement? I dont know, why not buffer it? or parts of it or I rly dont know but if this is the result, its obvious u ripped the profits of a franchise and nothing more... the game is the same as d2 instead where there was fan now there's lag...

Why buy the expansion?

PS. The only reason blizz was successful with d3 is not of ability but the disability of alternatives(and its competition)... i guess 1 day we'll see a contender taking d3's market share
Edited by ias13#2369 on 12/6/2012 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Its a good thing that the bad men (pirates) created a private server for teh game so we dont have to deal with blizzards bull!@#$ lagging. Why buy a game if it isnt going to work?
Reply Quote
You want proof that it's not your ISP? I maintain the plant that my internet runs on. You better be darn sure I make sure my stuff works right. I maintain 60 FPS, but latency fluctuates badly, and the game will show me 200ms or less latency frequently even when having the exact problem you describe, although it will often get worse. If it is a provider issue, it's between the ISP router and Blizzard. I know everything else here works fine.
Reply Quote
I am having a VERY similar problem. I live in West Virginia, and since the last patch I get 150-250 ping when I am idle in town, but the second I try to play I get 900+ spikes, and I cannot play at all. I have tested my ISP, and my routers and cable modem. I can play every other game perfectly fine, so I am 100% sure it is Bnet's fault.

PS I am a Systems Engineer and I manage a large business network. This is not a local issue.

I am hoping for a fix soon by BLIZZARD.
Reply Quote
I am having a VERY similar problem. I live in West Virginia, and since the last patch I get 150-250 ping when I am idle in town, but the second I try to play I get 900+ spikes, and I cannot play at all. I have tested my ISP, and my routers and cable modem. I can play every other game perfectly fine, so I am 100% sure it is Bnet's fault.

PS I am a Systems Engineer and I manage a large business network. This is not a local issue.

I am hoping for a fix soon by BLIZZARD.

i live in Louisiana my self. normally (before the last patch) i had latency of between 80-95. good latency if you ask anyone. however, recently ive been getting 120+ latency with spikes higher then 500. the latency spikes are one issue, the other being that the game freezes during specific events. these include ppl joining a game, high object clutter+mob density, etc. when this happens the game will freeze and then move very quickly forward trying to catch up. this can result in death (in hardcore this is very bad).
Reply Quote
@Daygecko

For the vast majority of players with the LAG issue, you are correct that it is not an ISP issue. My fps locks at 50 but latency fluctuates from 98 to 1200 constantly, which is like having a turn-based game. My PC is high end (WOW at max graphics, off the chart fps, my Chicago server latency 28-50 ms.)

Blizzard addresses then fixes latency issues in WOW especially after patches. Do you wonder why they don't even acknowledge the problem with D3? Since my tickets have been deleted with no response, I stand by my theory that as the player base has diminished Blizzard has reduced server capacity which can make the game unplayable. It's so bad that I haven't touched my HC characters in ages.

As a former Blizzard fanboy, it's hard for me to watch this. They are not acknowledging that there is a problem - the only responses I see is that if it's not your ISP it must be your PC. I've been around since mainframe Core War days and the hardware intensive flight simulator days, and there are some serious problems with D3.
Reply Quote
Wow! What have I wasted my money on? I can't even play tonight. 10-20 second lag psikes. How can anyone even enjoy, let alone play this game. Sucks because it seems like a fun game. I even bought the collectors edition so I feel even double bent over, pick up the soap, dry.....well you get the idea.
Reply Quote
Yep I more here with the exact same problem. I have done everything I could from my side. Sending in tons of info, system diagnostics, video examples, tried every possible solution, contacted my ISP, tickets multiple threads here etc.

Blizzard could not care less it seems.
Reply Quote
You could always try port forwarding http://portforward.com/ if that doesn't help, make certain your computer has the most recent updates.

I lag when I play on wifi, I've got 30 down/2 up, when I play directly connected to the modem no lag at all, I've got a 50 foot cable running through my house now, it gets the job done.

Hope this was helpful

Thanks!
Reply Quote
You could always try port forwarding http://portforward.com/ if that doesn't help, make certain your computer has the most recent updates.

I lag when I play on wifi, I've got 30 down/2 up, when I play directly connected to the modem no lag at all, I've got a 50 foot cable running through my house now, it gets the job done.

Port forwarding did not help at all, done it a while back. And I play on a 2 foot ethernet cable and my internet is top notch.

It's not us, it's Blizzard and their second grade servers.
Edited by TwistedM#1167 on 12/18/2012 11:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
This chronic problem of lag is certainly very frustrating for the majority of the players, but it eventually disappears after a few days or a few weeks such as I lived it. This problem is even more frustrating for the passionate players who cannot refrain from playing Diablo 3 every day.

Be that as it may, relate its problem of lag on the forum allows to know that it exists. However, speculate on the possible causes of the lag without doing any tests at priori or still, reprimanding Blizzard with unfunded conclusions do not really help Blizzard and his staff to help us to solve this problem.

For my part, I found that my problem of lag could be due to my internet connection.

To be certain about it, I used the same laptop on another internet network (at the university) with the same configuration and I’ve been able to play D3 without any lag while at home, the lag was chronic.

Then, I asked the question: is it because my connection at home is too slow? I made succesive speed tests of data transfer at home (90 mbits per seconde of upload and download) and at the university (30 mbits by seconde of upload and download). I thus noticed that even if the internet network of the university is slower, i didn’t lag while chronic lag occured at home.

Thus, the problem of lag can be in internet connections, but not in its speed of transfer.

In such circumstances, it would be interesting to analyze in real time (while the player plays D3), the packages of data ending in Blizzard’s servers on an internet network which lag and one with no lag.

More exactly, it would be necessary to verify if the packages of data sent to Blizzard’s servers go through the normally defined pathway. For example, it would be necessary to be able of predicting that the package of data to send is going to pass by the node 1, the node 2 up to the node x. If the package of data is not passed on by node planned, then it could explain the lag.

If the packages of data succeed to server Blizzard by nodes planned then it would be necessary to verify if there are abnormal delay between each of the nodes which separate our computer of the Blizzard’s servers.

Personally, I have no computing resources to make these tests, but I invite you to make it if you are capable there. The invitation is also sent to Blizzard, if this one has not already made these tests.

With such information, I think that it would be possible to conclude some things of " raisonable " on the problem of lag-related to the internet connection.

N.B.: Sorry for english mistakes, this text has been translated from French.
Edited by EstiDeKaliss#1449 on 12/19/2012 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
there are two possibilities i see as causes of the lag.
1) its the blizzard servers STILL like everyone has been saying since day one pretty much
2) its the ATT node right before it gets to blizzard

of course it could be both of them i suppose too.
Reply Quote
Im really getting fed up with the connection lag. I tab out and check internet connection and its working like just fine.

Fix up your servers blizzard..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]