Edit: Revision 1. Gain AP instead of lose it, and the gain is based on coefficients - so Liquify and WW get just over 1 AP while Magic Missile for example gets the full 10.
Clarification/Disclaimer: This nerf would no doubt be accompanied by several significant buffs to the Wizard class as a whole.
Further edit: Please have a brief browse through the existing discussion before commenting too heavily on the original post incase your question has already been addressed, thanks.
Some other ideas that have been floating around:
- Reduce cooldowns by a % instead of a static number
- Base the cooldown reduction amount on spell coefficients
- Some kind of stacking debuff when procing CM very frequently
- Increase max Crowd Control resistance on elites/bosses
- Somehow cap the amount of cooldown reduction CM can provide
Original post continues below.
I don't usually create attention-grabbing threads (edit: changed the title, that's better) but i had this rather creative idea the other day while i was fairly baked and simply couldn't hold myself back from sharing it. Some thoughts:
- Because the punishment is garunteed with every proc, higher proc-rate spells (like WW) will be punished more than lower proc-rate spells (like Spectral Blades or Disintegrate), and thus someone incorporating CM into their 2h Forked Lightning build to help refresh Teleport will hardly be punished at all - they won't even notice a loss of 500 hp every now and then. On the other hand, draining 3-5k hp / sec to chain cast Frost Nova might be worth reconsidering. Speaking of which...
- Permafreeze (arguably the strongest part of any CM build) and constant Diamond Shards / Explosive Blast spam will still be possible, but it will hurt - a lot. So essentially EHP requirements multiply, and EHP being the main path to the higher damage ShockNadoShards setup means that the gear requirement for any CM-abusing build is going to be high enough that it won't render other (non-archon) builds completely obselete in comparison (as it arguably currently does).
- The higher proc-rate you have on CM, the faster you will hurt yourself immediately after casting a spell with a cooldown (which could potentially be dangerous), encouraging you to "under-compensate" instead of over-compensating on procs - ie. you want a fairly steady stream of just enough procs to refresh Frost Nova in about 2-4 seconds, at which point you cast it again, rather than just spamming it mindlessly. It is a different playstyle, and one that at first may seem straight up less powerful, but i would argue that dying nearly instantly whenever you pause your FN / DS spam brings a harsh reality check, and that feeling powerful means not relying on 1 or 2 spells alone.
- The more spells with cooldown you have on your bar, the more chance you have something on cooldown when CM procs, and the more likely you are going to be punished for procing CM. Thus you can run a setup with, say, chain casting Diamond Shards for good damage and protection - 16 procs taking 8k life (at 50k hp) easily countered by the 10.5k (modified by EHP) shield - but use another damage ability instead of Explosive Blast, such as Meteor, so you aren't completely destroying yourself with procs. Hello build diversity.
Of course the exact numbers could be tweaked. I think the principle is just adding a small penalty that multiplies exponentially the more you abuse it. Of course, they could just change it to 0.5 or even 0.25 seconds off your cooldowns, but then the ability is even more useless for non-WW-spamming builds. This seems like a good overall balance. Plus, it's roleplay! Everyone knows reaching Critical Mass hurts just a little (in a good way). However, spam too hard and you may just blow yourself up!
Also, WW (the rune specifically, not the Energy Twister spell) coefficient should be 10% instead of 12.5%, and Archon beam damage should be reduced by about 10%. But, you know, baby steps!