Diablo® III

*S&B Barb Q&A Thread*

*Edited title
Sorry for the mess but I've looked through this thread and pulled out some information.
Hopefully this will help out other SnB barbs out there

“try and stack max CD since you will not get the benefit of any CD on off hand... instead replaced with (near 10CC) So I tried to max out all my CD slots” Crypter

“I found that S&B needs 8K armor, you have that with hard as nails. If you can get 8K without hard as nails (10K with it) you can free up a button. From where you are now I can see upgrading the armor, changing hard as nails to superstision, then you do not need war cry/impunity. With two pieces if IK set you might be able to loose the superstision.” DigitalGunny

“9.0+CC Stormshield is the minimum requirement to make SnB not worse than 2h or dual-wield” TehCommunism

“For gloves, aim for trifecta but non-IK. I find that you are limited with IK gloves. For chest, IK. Bracers, aim for lacuni's with crit, but for the time being, any decent str, vit with crit chance bracers will do.”
“you want to stack as much as possible lol...as far as targets to aim for with passives, 50% CC, 400% CD and 27% IAS are good targets. But the more the merrier. The difficult part is to balance tanky ehp specs with those targets.” Powpowboom71

if you're on a budget:
“gloves ... Don't look for trifectas. I'd get something with at least (8CC) (60+ AR) (30+CD/ 8% AS) then some STR/VIT. Afaik, these gloves shouldn't cost you too much.” impepe

“i noticed that EF is not that bad if the Fear proc is lower than 12%, but higher than that its a bit frustrating sometime” Nikeboy1984

Ender on SnB:
“The end game objective of every SNB barb out there should be to have a high enough APS (with CC and CD high and balanced of course) to run the WW spec successfully for farming, and then be able to switch to a different spec once PvP comes out without having to change any gear. This assumes there will be no pvp gear of course.

Running regular SnB spec for farming is just too inefficient. I clung to it for awhile, but eventually got my gear to a place where it could run either spec equally well. The amazing thing is you will never die, and eventually you can keep WoTB up just as well as a WW barb.

At 1.6 aps you can keep it forever up on groups (4 or more targets) and with bash on a single target once the group is dwindled. At around 1.8 APS you can keep it up forever running around just 2 mobs. This of course assumes they have enough HP to last long enough to give you fury. SWW (shield WW) as I like to call it, is perfect for higher MP, as mobs last longer to give you more fury, and you have the EHP to survive it long before WW barbs do.

Also you can optimize you gear to be able to swap to an offhand if you want for farming with easier fury gen.”

“SNB (non WW) - is by far the easiest build/spec to play, and the cheapest to gear decently as well. SnB has, by far, the highest EHP, defensive skills and therefore, the best ability to survive. Although SNB has good single target dps, it isn't good for farming, but I believe it will be good for PvP!

Here is our recommended SnB spec: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WkciXP!ZYV!acZbaZ
Leap may be switched out with Furious Charge (Dreadnought) for mobility and healing, Battle Rage (Marauders Rage) for extra DPS, or Revenge (Provocation) for more AOE DPS and healing.”

Visit this link for more details, it has tons and tons of information on what to look for in gears: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006344464?page=1

Crypter on HoTA:
“So I think the key to doing MP10 with any efficiency is reaching 150K DPS unbuffed (totally unbuffed). This is very hard to do without getting the right gear. But for the purpose of HOTA you want to stack as much CD as you can while maintaining your SS. I went for MAX CD at each slot that I could. Also using the right build, right now the build I roll with in MP10 has great Synergy. Using Bash/Punish to build up fury and boosting all skills then just hitting packs with Overpwer (Crushing Advance is very useful in MP10), Rend/Bloodlust for additional life steal + damage, and then just unleashing crazy DMG with HOTA/SMASH. All of those attacks also get boosted DMG from Punish. I have not even mentioned that BR/Into the Fray and WOTB/TOC are also in play here and provide Perma WOTB.

Key stats to focus on in your gear (IMO). Stack CD as much as possible without sacrificing too much EHP, don't want to become a glass cannon (although the SS goes along way in forgiving you on some gear, look at my Lacuni's they are all DPS). After that try and get more IAS, this will help Fury gen and keep WOTB up. Without hitting the high DPS marks you will probably need to use Bloodthirst passive to bring you to 6% LS (assuming you got 3 on your belt).

Also, last but certainly not LEAST! Get a GOOD mainhand weapon with CD/OS and as high DPS as you can afford. Some SnB choose to roll with a Sword because of the DMG boost from Waepons Master and since you are already getting high CC from the SS this is a very good option and they are certainly cheaper in some cases than MACE/AXE with same stats.

The nice thing about using this HOTA build is you will probably need to use Bash quite a bit until you have all your gear working to a point where your fury gen is adequate to sustain HOTA by itself. But using bash /w Punish makes it worth it to hit with bash a few times every few seconds just to get the DMG boost. Ideally since you will be using bash you might want to look for a DMG boost to Bash on your belt as well.”

“Well to be honest you should never be running out of fury, you may want to give animosity a try if you find yourself always low on fury. Your HOTA (using Smash I hope) should be proc'ing enough to generate the fury to sustain itself. Especially when you are hitting more than 1 target. The way I play it when starting from 0 fury is I first Bash 2 or 3 times to fill fury then rend once, all the while I am constantly spamming Overpower since it does not cost any fury. After that it's HOTA until I feel the Punish Rune has worn off then I will throw in another bash or 2. I never let my fury go below 1/4th full. If I find myself depleting in fury I will bash a couple time, this also has the effect of resetting my Punish clock.

Honestly between your HOTA proc and Bash Proc you should always generate enough fury in a battle to reset the WOTB timer, maybe not all the way, but enough to move to the next pack. Big packs will reset it all the way for me usually.

I think the key is IAS....you may need more. IAS is important to fury regen when relying on HOTA/Bash procs to refill it.”

BALLER on fast Plvling / farming:
“I was and currently am running a SWW build when my focus is leveling. It is just faster... no way around that. I do however have a build good for people that cant keep WOTB up and was highly effective for me.

This is how i key it.... do whatever is comfortable... im just used to spamming 2

1 - Rend - Bloodlust if your EHP isnt great or lacerate if you have high enough EHP and LS
2 - Sprint - Run like the wind
3 - Battle Rage - Into the fray
4 - WOTB - Insanity (Use only on packs)

Left Click - Frenzy - Maniac
Right Click - WW - Hurricane

How it works is you just do the regular WW thing throughout trash and then you face tank elites with rend and WOTB. Then onto the next pack. My DPS is high enough to where packs go down prety fast, but I usually have WOTB for every pack unless they are really close together.

Passives I use for this build are...

Weapons Master
Relentless
Anomiously (Cant spell... the fury regen one) This isnt needed and you can use whatever passive you are comfotable with.

There are changes you can do to this as well, like use bash instead of frenzy, ect.

I would say this is a beginner SWW build, or one to someone like me who literally only does this for paragon leveling and doesnt really like the WW build in general.

Edit - My AIS is like 1.54 and I am able to keep a lot of fury regen the entire time but I do feel like thie build i mentioned above is good for everyone who cant keep WOTB for whatever reason. I also found that killing packs with WW kinda blows and is much slower than jst face tanking them, this is another reason why I like the build above.”

Original Post:
I don’t think there’re many us left are there?
Public chat keep on making fun of shield users saying that we’re on the verge of extinction = (
Any who, I still enjoy SnB a lot so I’ll stick to it until the end.

Here’s my update to date profile with unbuffed numbers http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/QHTran-1403/hero/7885001
Buffed dps is a bit over 100K? dps and for 15 sec of WoTB is shoots up to 200 something

I’ve been eyeing stormshields that are 30+ block & 8+CC (they are expensive so I don’t know when I can actually get one)
Question is, should I try to save up and get it but in the process losing the 13% life of my current shield?
Is it worth it or should I save up for something else?

I’ve already sacrificed 10K HP to get where I am right now. I can do MP4
Keep in mind that I‘m a poor barb (saved up to 3 mil so far) and can only dream of the nice IK belt and Chest = P

Thank you in advance for your advices = )
Edited by QHTran#1403 on 12/10/2012 9:31 AM PST
Pub chat makes fun of everything and everything, 90% of people in it have no idea what they're talking about =)

Definitely aim for a 30%+ block chance shield, 19% is way too low. You're also gonna want more vit in the future.
I don't really see any piece of gear that's out of place. They all seem to be at an equal level; balanced gear is good gear IMO. You just need to farm for more gold/hope for a good drop.

The only thing that seems to be lacking is LS/LOH. You've got no LOH, 2.8% LS on belt, and that's it. Do you have a hard time staying alive at all? You should be ok as long as you're careful, but I could imagine some packs might be a PITA for you.

EDIT: Oh, and get some Movement Speed somewhere.
Edited by jansenmd#1564 on 12/3/2012 11:56 AM PST
IK boots and IK belt would go a long way. The base ones at least match your current gear and don't cost too much. I would also like to see crit chance on at least one more item (amulet or rings). If you get CC on two or three of those items, you could get a SS with low CC roll, which is relatively cheap.

What happens if you drop Warcry from your current build and use Hammer of the Ancients along with Battle Rage - Thrive on Chaos instead? Try it out - you might be able to do a lot more damage and therefore leech a lot more life than your current setup allows.

Sword & board is not dead. I do it often at high MP because I like the stability of 2 million effective hit points.
every few days one of these SnB threads pops up. There are still those of us that believe in balanced builds and no reason to think you can't play this game at the highest level with a SnB. I can do massive DPS and also withstand just about anything this game throws at me. Granted I have pretty good gear but none the less take a llok at SnB barbs out there like Baller, Nikeboy, PowPowBoom, Jook, some of the best barbs in the game are still going SnB.
@Aracknid
Thanks for confirming that getting a SS is a good idea ... but where should I get the vit on?
I have another bracer that's 70str/70vit with 60+ar and 4.5CC .. should I switch to that one when I get the SS?

@jansenmd
thanks = ) yes my set is quite balance I guess.. farm more gold? yeah I'm trying but I'm just so busy IRL (work/gf/family/volunteers/friends ..etc)
my main healing comes from bloodlust ... what I do is bash 3 times killing spree  blood lust and then keep on bashing and KS + BL when it refresh (which is quite often)
on MP4 I have no problem with any packs and I don’t die at all … don’t need to pop WoTB unless for 2 packs or frozen .. if there’s enough monster around I don’t even have to move at all lol
MS is a luxury for me right now but I will add it after all the needed upgrades
I was looking at weapons with 1000Kdps + 100 Streng + OS + LS and they are astronomical in price lol but yes I totally agree that I should get it later on

@VeePow
How much would the IK boots & Belt cost? Should I save up for those first before going for the SS? Or get the rings/amulet first?
I was only thinking of the SS so far that’s why
Drop warcry?? Hmm never thought about that … okay I’ll give the Hota and thrive a try the next time I play …. Or I can drop WotB instead =D lol since I don’t use it as much

Anymore input on what I should do?? More advices welcome and appreciated
You have a weapon that should last you for quite a while. I think you need more armor. I found that S&B needs 8K armor, you have that with hard as nails. If you can get 8K without hard as nails (10K with it) you can free up a button. From where you are now I can see upgrading the armor, changing hard as nails to superstision, then you do not need war cry/impunity. With two pieces if IK set you might be able to loose the superstision.

I really am questioning your choice of bash because you have no real bonus to attack speed, maybe frenzy would be a better choice, more chances to get a crit hit in.
@VeePow
How much would the IK boots & Belt cost? Should I save up for those first before going for the SS? Or get the rings/amulet first?
I was only thinking of the SS so far that’s why
Drop warcry?? Hmm never thought about that … okay I’ll give the Hota and thrive a try the next time I play …. Or I can drop WotB instead =D lol since I don’t use it as much

Get the storm shield first because 30% block plus Helm of Command gives you a ton of protection. But keep your eyes open for a ring with STR, 5+ CC, and something else useful. It will be cheap.

You'd have to check AH to see how much base IK boots and decent IK belt costs, but it's not terribly much. Add me if you are patient, because I am going to upgrade my belt in the next few weeks and I'll give you my old one when I do.
Play what you think it's the most fun, and ignore people who tells you S&B is crap, especially random people in chat. I have had people who asked barbs for help with ubers, and when I offered to help, they simply told me to ʞɔnɟ off because I was wielding a 300th spear. :/
@Crypter
You and those top tier SnB barbs are just godly lol
I hate it when I mention I play barb and they just assume that I WW -_-

@DigitalGunny
Yeah higher armor is awesome but going to 8K without hard as nails is a tall order for me right now … but yeah that’s the route that I plan to go, switching it to superstition will be nice = )
hmm interesting … frenzy (110%) instead of bash (165%)? I’ll try it .. I guess your logic is after you get the 5 stack of dmg and speed from frenzy then frenzy(maniac) > bash(punish)?

@VeePow
Hahaha yes patient is my middle name thanks in advance dude = ) your belt looks godly to me!!
I’ll add you when I next log on
It’ll take me sometime to save up enough gold to get the SS first ... I think 10-15 mil is the range for the SS? Hopefully it’s not more = /
Ring for the extra 5%CC? I thought that CD or IAS will help me more right now … I think I have 47.5% CC in game and up to 57.5% with Killing spree (pretty constant if in combat)
Or are you saying to keep my other stats + the 5CC? If that’s the case then yeah it’ll be what I want to look at …. I saw something below 100K with no buyout so I place 1 mil bet on it but was outbid by quite a large margin

@ Acky
Yeah those ppl are just rude … and I do ignore ppl who says S&B are (insert negative comments here)
To me SnB is how I’ve always picture my Barb …. a heavy tank that can dish out damage
>:) rawrr! lol
I like to try and stack max CD since you will not get the benefit of any CD on off hand... instead replaced with (near 10CC) So I tried to max out all my CD slots... right now I sit at 500% CD without an offhand. :)
12/03/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Crypter
every few days one of these SnB threads pops up. There are still those of us that believe in balanced builds and no reason to think you can't play this game at the highest level with a SnB. I can do massive DPS and also withstand just about anything this game throws at me. Granted I have pretty good gear but none the less take a llok at SnB barbs out there like Baller, Nikeboy, PowPowBoom, Jook, some of the best barbs in the game are still going SnB.

ya, S/B barbs are far from extinct. i think that once PVP hits, many barbs will be using shields. So might as well, start building that way now.

@Crytper, you're using animosity now? Hmmmmmm, i might have to try it lol. I've gone to Bash/Punish instead of Instigation as i found the fury generation to be more than adequate. A very good side effect of all the skill synergies is the continual HoTA smashing and the crazy critting that is occuring. Now i gotta get myself a nice belt with +% to bash
I don’t think there’re many us left are there?
Public chat keep on making fun of shield users saying that we’re on the verge of extinction = (
Any who, I still enjoy SnB a lot so I’ll stick to it until the end.

Here’s my update to date profile with unbuffed numbers http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/QHTran-1403/hero/7885001
Buffed dps is a bit over 100K? dps and for 15 sec of WoTB is shoots up to 200 something

I’ve been eyeing stormshields that are 30+ block & 8+CC (they are expensive so I don’t know when I can actually get one)
Question is, should I try to save up and get it but in the process losing the 13% life of my current shield?
Is it worth it or should I save up for something else?

I’ve already sacrificed 10K HP to get where I am right now. I can do MP4
Keep in mind that I‘m a poor barb (saved up to 3 mil so far) and can only dream of the nice IK belt and Chest = P

Thank you in advance for your advices = )

ha, who are these people making fun of shield users? I would love to have a chat with them

What people might or might not realize is that the crit chance, AR, and additional armor on a shield really helps with build diversity.

I'd definitely go with a stormshield, but it will be a slowupgrade process for you because you have to make up that vit somewhere else in your gear. In the meantime, your shield is fine. WIth the higher block in SS, you can get rid of your Helm of Command and get something a like a IK helm or mempo (when gold allows).

You know, you can try other builds too just to see what you prefer. I duel wielded for a very very long time, and i still do on occasion. i've done the WW thing, i've done the Bulldozer thing, and now, i find that with the buffs to HoTA and Rend, it would be silly to not use them. HoTA is ridiculous. +1% crit chance for every 5 fury you have. It is silly how much dmg it is putting out.
@powpowboom71 yea I use animosity almost exclusivly now as it provides that extra fury generation to make sure I keep Fury full for frequent 1mil+ crits. I find 3% LS to be more than enough at that level of Damage. Although, I still use bloodthirst when I solo Uber bosses on Mp10....
12/03/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Crypter
@powpowboom71 yea I use animosity almost exclusivly now as it provides that extra fury generation to make sure I keep Fury full for frequent 1mil+ crits. I find 3% LS to be more than enough at that level of Damage. Although, I still use bloodthirst when I solo Uber bosses on Mp10....

The additional crit chance you get from the +20 max fury is probably worth it. So that's another +4% CC when you're full. Very interesting. I too find 3% LS more than enough at those dmg lvls

I like some of your ideas...Keep up the good work!! lol
yea although I have not done enough testing so I am not sure what the maximum CC I can achieve is. I would hope Blizzard lets us hit 100% CC (it certainly feels like I hit 100% a lot). But since my CC does not show the extra CC towards HOTA I am not sure what it actually is capping at if at all. But either way it is nice being at full fury all the time so I like leaving Animosity on... it also allows me to spam Rend and keep fury full. So I am getting extra LS from that too while doing more damage from the extra DMG boost from Punish. :) I throw Punish in every 3 seconds to get that extra DMG boost. It's fun watching MP10 packs just disappear instantly when I come at them with these attacks. Also hitting them with OverPower while Punish is in effect.... :)
@crypter
500 cd! Wow! I’m only at 360
I was trying to up the CD on my amulet when I upgraded but I got outbid on a 93% one … ohh well = /
This amulet that I’m using now is an upgrade in terms of dps to my last one but I lost 5K HP in the process
I see that both of your rings don’t have ave dmg but they’re pack with other yummy stats = )

@powpowboom
Yeah for sure I’ll try HotA (like Veepow mentioned as well) … I think I’ll drop WotB and see how it goes in MP4
Ohh they’re just random ppl on public chat, I was defending this guy that linked a nice SS that dropped for him
Get rid of my HoC? O_O? That was an upgrade that I paid 4+mil for a few weeks ago = ( .. I think if need be it’ll be the last thing that I want to let go of … it’s my precious ;) plus it looks nice too
It's always nice to see a SnB thread. U should try farm at mp2 in act 3. I got a few good drops there.. Well I know it's rng.. Mayb u get lucky n get a good drop! I've an extra SS with full block n 7.5 cc.. Let me know if u r interested. I will sell very low for ya. :)
@PlainDoe,
Really that’s awesome! 7.5 is just 0.5 below the threshold that I was looking at .. but beggars can’t be chooser now can they? lol so yesh I’m interested ^_^
Can you please let me know the other stats and how much you can help me out? ;)
Max block is … 34% if I’m not mistaken correct?
So that leaves:
Strength
AR
Reduce melee
Reduce elites

Ohh btw … droooll at your SS =D**
Hey buddy we are here for yah, we support yah. SNB all the way!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]