Diablo® III

*S&B Barb Q&A Thread*

After doing the math, I think any end game S&B should be using a sword instead of axe/mace. Once you get to about 45% CC, no S&B will ever get enough CD for the 10% extra CC to be better than a flat 15% damage boost. Especially since there are a bunch of skills that boost your in-game CC. Axe/mace is good for starting/intermediate S&B when your CC is low, but sword is definitely better for end game.
Thanks for the input Powpow. Yeah i know i have abit of tinkering to do. My current aim is to increase my AR and Vit without affecting my dps by too much cos i find that my ehp is really too low for a SnB.

Was wondering, for a SnB barb what amount of AR, Vit, Str, Dps should i aim for to farm mp10 ubers efficiently ?

ok, look at my specs. I can do MP10, but i wouldn't call it efficient lol...i don't die, but it takes a long time to kill anything.

I wouldn't even bother with MP10, unless you have 700AR (unbuffed), 60k life (min), 3000 str, and about 400-450k dps buffed...and even then, you'll get carpal tunnel from how long it will take to kill elites lol

After doing the math, I think any end game S&B should be using a sword instead of axe/mace. Once you get to about 45% CC, no S&B will ever get enough CD for the 10% extra CC to be better than a flat 15% damage boost. Especially since there are a bunch of skills that boost your in-game CC. Axe/mace is good for starting/intermediate S&B when your CC is low, but sword is definitely better for end game.

Celanian, you are a wise man...but can we at least wait till i ugprade my sword before you spread this wisdom? I need sword prices to stay low for a bit lol
Edited by powpowboom71#1665 on 12/10/2012 10:14 AM PST
im still thinking of using veteran's warning it would put me at 35% dodge along with 56 block.
Edited by Jook#1782 on 12/10/2012 10:48 AM PST
hey guys,

Just came back to D3 since patch 1.04, I have always played S&B and this thread gave me hope that it is a viable build.

any suggestions to which items to upgrade first? I'm pretty poor but I dont mind grinding, only came back for a couple of hours so far but I can do MP1 okay.
View profile
@Cel - ive kept on thinking on switching to sword recently, still need to find "the one" though. Tnx for the inputs
View profile
12/10/2012 10:47 AMPosted by Jook
im still thinking of using veteran's warning it would put me at 35% dodge along with 56 block.

I think thats perfect for 1on1 battles
12/10/2012 10:13 AMPosted by powpowboom71
Celanian, you are a wise man...but can we at least wait till i ugprade my sword before you spread this wisdom? I need sword prices to stay low for a bit lol

I like your sword! But a 1200 ish dps sword is so rare and expensive, an upgrade is not on my to-do list at the moment... if your target is 1300 ish, it is really a task of patient... good luck!
I found the WW discussion in particular super interesting, thanks to Ender and Baller for sharing info on that. It looks like each have a completely different way to skin the cat. Ender's methodology seems more similar to traditional dual-wield versions of this build, in that WW is used on trash and elites, and there's a strong emphasis on increased attack speed to get RLtW/WW tick rates up (which the crit chance on shield gives you more room on other gear to get IAS). On the other hand, Baller is using WW for trash only and using WotB + rend + fury-generator for elites, and thus going super high crit chance rather than faster attack speeds.

Baller's method is one I hadn't even considered. I guess in that case you would get just enough IAS to get to a reasonable tick breakpoint using Nubtro's tables (maybe something in the range of 1 to 2 items w/ IAS), then go full on crit chance and crit damage on everything else. Is the damage from rend really good enough in this scenario to kill elites quickly? I wouldn't have thought so initially, but now I really want to try this out. Plus you still have WW as a way to get around mob collision detection in an elite fight where you need to move to another position quickly (get out of desecration pool, etc.), which is handy.

I find the rend does a lot of DMG.... just dont notice it as easy as others because its slower (5 seconds), but you heal like crazy and deal a lot of AOE damage. Plus like you said the WW/Sprint can help you get out of a weird situation like getting blocked and arcane beams/desacrate closing in, ect.

For me personally, the torandos will kill all the trash up to around MP5 with one sweep, but I find MP3 is the best for speed for me and definetly gets all the trash from the nados. I do have very high CC and CD though (My hellfire gives me another 30 CD), which helps out with the fury regen and overal damage of the nados. Like you said im giving up some attack speed, but the extra CC works for me as well...

Let me know how you like it, I kind of just made this one up one day and gets me around the map faster :)
@BALLER
Nice Shield WW build ;), I’ve copied it to the front page if you don’t mind = )

@Selbus
Yeah give Baller’s build a try, it’s very good for lvling or farming
I’m just using Bash instead of Frenzy but I do it on MP1.
Rend will be your heal and between all the tornados bash and rend the elites goes down very quickly
White mob just melt
On higher mp I find that having higher HP and switching hurricane to blood funnel will give you a lot of sustainability .. you just don’t die lol

yeah dude, no problem.
hey guys,

Just came back to D3 since patch 1.04, I have always played S&B and this thread gave me hope that it is a viable build.

any suggestions to which items to upgrade first? I'm pretty poor but I dont mind grinding, only came back for a couple of hours so far but I can do MP1 okay.

hey Ice, what is your budget?
View profile
Wow Lord Joch is now running S&B - http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/joch-1760/Jonad/1148395
lol. some godly barbs have switched to snb as of late. Saberfenix as well who has insane DPS for an snb.
hey guys,

hey Ice, what is your budget?

I've got about 5mil at the moment, I gave it most of it away to my friends when I left. Just looking at what I should do first at the moment, Ill be grinding paragons over the next few weeks while im off work to hopefully get enough gold to make some big changes.
Im getting up there as well my next upgrade i think should be my weapon, anyone else have ideas?
View profile
12/10/2012 05:54 PMPosted by hayze
Im getting up there as well my next upgrade i think should be my weapon, anyone else have ideas?

@hayze - yes you are correct, upgrade you MH with high DPS, CD, OS and if possible with STR/VIT. For now that is what you need to prioritize..

Asmodeous: I would swap animosity for either berserker or brawler and revenge for overpower killing spree if your survival/sustain is ok at the moment. I regen enough fury to spam rend as much as i want (so much that im thinking of going back to berserker)I'm at 102k unbuffed and once full fury (or 3 mobs within 8yards) with BR:MR + OP:KS and frenzy 5 stacks, paper dmg goes up to 215 or 219k, with insanity, 430~445 (all with enchantress).

hope this helps

Thanks for that. I have been experiementing with the third passive since I realised that I don't need an armor passive anymore. Animosity or Brawler are the two I've been leaning towards. Problem with Beserker is that I keep spending fury with rend and it seems to be "off" more often than brawler as it's pretty easy to be surrounded by three or more targets. With brawler Im hitting 200k dps in full flight so it's pretty good.

I prefer revenge over overpower. I've got 6% crit chance for revenge on my belt so it totals 59% so it lands a crit more often than not and it's my main killer skill. I rush into the middle of a pack and get surround as best as I can, drop a rend, wait for revenge to activate and then rack up the "xx killed with one blow" xp awards.

i like what you have done with your barb. I think with 6mill left, you should fill up the bank a little before doing any thing else. You aren't gonna upgrade much for 6mill

I think you need a little more attack speed which should be your next area of concern. As always, we barbs all need more vit, more str, more armor, more ar

Thanks. I was afraid of that. That's pretty much Trifecta damage rings and jewellry territory which is what my account balance was afraid off. Well if I ever find a perfect echoing fury or something like that I can sell for a billion or so, I'll start shopping!
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 12/10/2012 6:01 PM PST
yea saberfenix is just crazy..his gear is basically better than mine at every slot.... I want his gloves!
@ice knight.

Looking pretty good there. Your resists I'd say are your weak point atm. 24% on the depth diggers, legacy? Because they are usually 70-80% AR and aren't that expensive anymore though may still eat most/all of your 5 million budget.

Your main hand ring is erm, not good. Have a look at Litany of the undaunted ring. 4.5% crit chance, all resists and 150 odd strength. You might be able to get a ring with average damage as well. search for strength and average damage and see what comes up. I've got a dex one Im struggling to get a million for atm, so I can't see a strength one being a bank breaker.

While your in the ah, price up IK gloves and helm for yourself and consider those for your barb. Two part IK gives 60AR, good strenght though your going to loose some vitality as that's pretty nice on your belt. You could compensate for this with a ruby in the helm but its up to you.
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 12/10/2012 6:20 PM PST
@Crypter

His attack speed is insane. Basically, every gear he has is probably 20x as expensive as mine. LOL.

Your dps btw is just as impressive.
Edited by impepe#6528 on 12/10/2012 6:17 PM PST
View profile
@Crypter

His attack speed is insane. Basically, every gear he has is probably 20x as expensive as mine. LOL.

Your dps btw is just as impressive.

Yeah, you will see Saberfenix by my side when the pvp comes :P
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]