Diablo® III

*S&B Barb Q&A Thread*

SNB the sign of a true barb......
I would like to take this chance to ask top SnB on the idea how to move on. Finally over 100k dps and I concentrated on cc and cd because after tested 100% CC HoTA, I found it is superb! My target is playing on MP10 with high dps. Did several runs on MP10 act 1, sometimes I could get key and died for 3-4 times only, sometimes died for 3-4 times for a single elite pack. Without crazy budget, I feel I got stuck right now :<

hey mate, crypter is the expert on S&B HOTA, he will be able to advise on this.

So I think the key to doing MP10 with any efficiency is reaching 150K DPS unbuffed (totally unbuffed). This is very hard to do without getting the right gear. But for the purpose of HOTA you want to stack as much CD as you can while maintaining your SS. I went for MAX CD at each slot that I could. Also using the right build, right now the build I roll with in MP10 has great Synergy. Using Bash/Punish to build up fury and boosting all skills then just hitting packs with Overpwer (Crushing Advance is very useful in MP10), Rend/Bloodlust for additional life steal + damage, and then just unleashing crazy DMG with HOTA/SMASH. All of those attacks also get boosted DMG from Punish. I have not even mentioned that BR/Into the Fray and WOTB/TOC are also in play here and provide Perma WOTB.

Key stats to focus on in your gear (IMO). Stack CD as much as possible without sacrificing too much EHP, don't want to become a glass cannon (although the SS goes along way in forgiving you on some gear, look at my Lacuni's they are all DPS). After that try and get more IAS, this will help Fury gen and keep WOTB up. Without hitting the high DPS marks you will probably need to use Bloodthirst passive to bring you to 6% LS (assuming you got 3 on your belt).

Also, last but certainly not LEAST! Get a GOOD mainhand weapon with CD/OS and as high DPS as you can afford. Some SnB choose to roll with a Sword because of the DMG boost from Waepons Master and since you are already getting high CC from the SS this is a very good option and they are certainly cheaper in some cases than MACE/AXE with same stats.

The nice thing about using this HOTA build is you will probably need to use Bash quite a bit until you have all your gear working to a point where your fury gen is adequate to sustain HOTA by itself. But using bash /w Punish makes it worth it to hit with bash a few times every few seconds just to get the DMG boost. Ideally since you will be using bash you might want to look for a DMG boost to Bash on your belt as well.

Sorry I typed this all very fast and have not proof read it. Please ask more questions if you have any.
Edited by Crypter#1856 on 12/4/2012 6:54 AM PST
@idol Nike

haha. Thanks for the advice godly barb. I'd just have to save up for an MS climbers then or get a better lacunis.

np, if you notice i dont have MS as well, i can easliy buy some average lacunis and ice climber to gain 24% ms but i dont think its worth it lose good stats for those.

im currently saving for a good ice climber with MS and time will tell when i can afford it lol

I got quite lucky with my Ice Climbers, traded for them with my old Blackthornes Pants + Surcoat (which were both darn good and cost me some EHP replacing them). But I traded a dual socket Manticore which I had found a while back (and held onto for the AH prices to stabalize) for the Eternal Reign I now wear.
View profile

np, if you notice i dont have MS as well, i can easliy buy some average lacunis and ice climber to gain 24% ms but i dont think its worth it lose good stats for those.

im currently saving for a good ice climber with MS and time will tell when i can afford it lol

I got quite lucky with my Ice Climbers, traded for them with my old Blackthornes Pants + Surcoat (which were both darn good and cost me some EHP replacing them). But I traded a dual socket Manticore which I had found a while back (and held onto for the AH prices to stabalize) for the Eternal Reign I now wear.

yeah your ice climbers are very good man 200+ STR, VIT and 12%MS, exactly what i am looking and saving for. You are looking really great with your upgrades man, well done!
View profile
12/04/2012 05:53 AMPosted by N2DEEP
When I run SnB I use a rare shield with 27% block and it has 200 str, 200 vit, and 10% crit chance. A shield is of course used for block, but overall it is a stat stick. So you want great stats on it. I never liked a SS due to it not having Vit and having AR instead. High AR is not really needed when you do 100k dps and do mp7 or lower.

hey buddy, great barb btw. I respect you opinion regarding SS. However the 200vit you can get from your rare shield can easily be obtained from other parts of your gears. however the additional block % chance from SS that you can't get from rare shields can only be gained if you use HOC or JL however it will significantly decrease your DPS compared if you use IK/Mempo or some godly rare/legendary rings

So what most S&B barbs who are using SS actually wants the additional block chance% + high CC. The additional AR is actually a Bonus *EDIT* + melee and elite damage reduction which i think you cannot get from rare shields.

PS: If you want to stack VIT it also beneficial if you stack life % to maximize your vitality

but if you still prefer VIT on your shield and you like it then its fine.

cheers,

nike
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 12/4/2012 7:26 AM PST
@idol Nike

haha. Thanks for the advice godly barb. I'd just have to save up for an MS climbers then or get a better lacunis.

hey nike, s/b tanks don't really need MS because we aren't running from anything. We stand and everything dies around us.

but what i found was the 12% i have on my lacuni's helps with farming and playing in general. You can get MS Ice climbers now pretty cheap. Godly ones went from 1bill down to about 400 mill...300 mill can sometimes get you very very good boots now with vit. I think if you wait another month, it will be 200 etc...MS IC's will be my next upgrade. I want godlier than Crypter's.

------------------------------
WTB 1400 dps rune sword with Str and socket
WTB 250 str Ice climbers with vit and MS
Edited by powpowboom71#1665 on 12/4/2012 8:10 AM PST
@powpowboom71 the thing about 24% MS is it helps in keeping WOTB up at all times since I Can move from pack to pack a lot faster and thus farm faster.
200K DPS is doable for sure for SnB. I have hit the 150k mark recently. Idea is to maintain a fine balance between Dmg, IAS, CC, CHD and STR.

My build does this but IAS has priority as I play Double Tornado style and need to break the 2.00 IAS break point.

If you will notice my gear, everything is mid-tier (maybe except the amulet/weapon/shield) and still hitting 150k unbuffed. With a top tier IK Glove, Chest, Mempo and Lacuni I can break the 200k dps with 2.00 APS breakpoint.

Edit: Plus with a crazy trifecta you can even break the 220-230k dps easily.
Edited by Kalesh#6633 on 12/4/2012 8:34 AM PST
@Kalesh actually your unbuffed DPS is 108,415.29 according to DiabloProgress. This is your truly unbuffed DPS without any passives and what not. But you are going in the right direction.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/kalesh-6633/Kalesh/18278884
12/04/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Crypter
@powpowboom71 the thing about 24% MS is it helps in keeping WOTB up at all times since I Can move from pack to pack a lot faster and thus farm faster.

ya for sure, the additional speed will speed up farming which equals more loot and gold...but i find it too stressful trying to imitate WW barbs going from pack to pack trying to keep wotb up. As it stands now, i can keep wotb up for a very long time...and even if it goes down, most of the 2min cooldown would have expired by then so I end up popping berserker again at the next elite pack.

200K DPS is doable for sure for SnB. I have hit the 150k mark recently. Idea is to maintain a fine balance between Dmg, IAS, CC, CHD and STR.

My build does this but IAS has priority as I play Double Tornado style and need to break the 2.00 IAS break point.

If you will notice my gear, everything is mid-tier (maybe except the amulet/weapon/shield) and still hitting 150k unbuffed. With a top tier IK Glove, Chest, Mempo and Lacuni I can break the 200k dps with 2.00 APS breakpoint.

Edit: Plus with a crazy trifecta you can even break the 220-230k dps easily.

200k S/B?? impossible

View profile
there is one S&B that i really like to meet and have a chat with

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/nick-12502/Efialtis/1587654

however i cant seem to see if he is active in this forums.
@Kalesh actually your unbuffed DPS is 108,415.29 according to DiabloProgress. This is your truly unbuffed DPS without any passives and what not. But you are going in the right direction.

I actually don't care, every barb uses Weapons Master and Ruthless and I consider that as unbuffed. With these two skills I am hitting 151.9k DPS. And the Hellfire I only use when farming MP2-3. For ubers I have a pure DPS ring which gives around 5k more dps than hellfire.

My next objective is to hit 175k without spending billion gold. I have done some research on D3Rawr with Tal Rasha armor, IK Belt + Glove(IAS), replace LOH Amulet and Rings with pure DPS as IK Belt + Bloodthirst = 6.0 ll, I can reach 170k.
Edited by Kalesh#6633 on 12/4/2012 8:50 AM PST
View profile

I actually don't care, every barb uses Weapons Master and Ruthless and I consider that as unbuffed. With these two skills I am hitting 151.9k DPS. And the Hellfire I only use when farming MP2-3. For ubers I have a pure DPS ring with give me around 5k more dps than hellfire.

My next objective is to hit 175k without spending billion gold. I have done some research on D3Rawr with Tal Rasha armor, IK Belt + Glove(IAS), replace LOH Amulet and Rings with pure DPS as IK Belt + Bloodthirst = 6.0 ll, I can reach 170k.

i was curious on how a barb would look like on a Tal Rasha's armor! can you send us some screenshot when you get to have one?

I'm envious of his 800+ AR unbuffed...and his sword is exactly what i'm looking for! I'm gonna have to upgrade lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nick-12502/hero/1587654

View profile

I'm envious of his 800+ AR unbuffed...and his sword is exactly what i'm looking for! I'm gonna have to upgrade lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nick-12502/hero/1587654

yeah man, both of you and that guy are literally sword and board because both of you uses swords! we should recruit this guy in our club when he pops in the forums.
to OP: I have a SS with 10CC i forget the other stats but i remember it being pretty good. Ill let it go for cheap if you want. It is just sitting in my stash atm. I am at work till 430 pst so you can add me in game. BT is Crippler#1119
Edited by Crippler#1119 on 12/4/2012 9:01 AM PST
12/04/2012 09:00 AMPosted by Madmitch
to OP: I have a SS with 10CC i forget the other stats but i remember it being pretty good. Ill let it go for cheap if you want. It is just sitting in my stash atm. I am at work till 430 pst so you can add me in game. BT is Crippler#1119

the most important stat is the block percentage

Edited by powpowboom71#1665 on 12/4/2012 9:03 AM PST

we should create a S/B guild here

all sword and boards are welcome to join. These threads pop up more and more often now and i find that we often repeat the advice over and over...plus after a few days, that thread is lost in a sea of threads. The information contained in one place would be invaluable for beginners to pros alike

Yea i know I remember it being high cause i was going to go SNB but decided not to. I have 2 SS in my STash i just forgot the exact stats
12/04/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Madmitch
Yea i know I remember it being high cause i was going to go SNB but decided not to. I have 2 SS in my STash i just forgot the exact stats

if the block is high enough and it has 10CC, i'll buy it from you

Edited by powpowboom71#1665 on 12/4/2012 9:08 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]