Diablo® III

*S&B Barb Q&A Thread*

@wolf
Look for a axe/mace/sword with 1000pds + strength + OS/critdmg (if you get booth it’ll be awesome) + LS if you can afford it
For a shield look for Strength + AR + high crit (I personally won’t go under 9) and ofcourse high block chance (don’t go below 19) ohh and vit if possible (for SS you can only pick one …CC / double strength roll / VIT)
Just look at your profile … man you rich so you should be able to afford a beastly MH .. it’s our bread and butter

@impepe/powpow
Title updated .. I’ve also saved a bit of space so let me know if you guys want to add some useful information to it.
Firstly, QHTran, I respect you for being a champion of the shield.

I just gotta add my 2 cents. I've geared every play style there is at every budget up to a billion gold, and I love the shield the best.

The end game objective of every SNB barb out there should be to have a high enough APS (with CC and CD high and balanced of course) to run the WW spec successfully for farming, and then be able to switch to a different spec once PvP comes out without having to change any gear. This assumes there will be no pvp gear of course.

Running regular SnB spec for farming is just too inefficient. I clung to it for awhile, but eventually got my gear to a place where it could run either spec equally well. The amazing thing is you will never die, and eventually you can keep WoTB up just as well as a WW barb.

At 1.6 aps you can keep it forever up on groups (4 or more targets) and with bash on a single target once the group is dwindled. At around 1.8 APS you can keep it up forever running around just 2 mobs. This of course assumes they have enough HP to last long enough to give you fury. SWW (shield WW) as I like to call it, is perfect for higher MP, as mobs last longer to give you more fury, and you have the EHP to survive it long before WW barbs do.

Also you can optimize you gear to be able to swap to an offhand if you want for farming with easier fury gen. Which is what I did as well.

I've added this post to my bookmarks and will be checking on it to see if you would like any more of my knowledge/experience in this matter. I wore a shield till the day I sold my gear (I was like 160k dps unbuffed sheet dps and about 1.7m EHP on diabloprogress and I fear'd blizzard screwing up PvP.)Some of my old items are still on RMAH or AH in case anyone is interested, or you can look at the gear to get a picture of what this kinda barb looks like.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/ender-1728/Dargo/1813998
Edited by Ender#1728 on 12/7/2012 12:45 PM PST
hey everyone I've just pull some information in this thread to the front page... let me know if you feel uncomfortable and want to take your quote down. thanks

@ Ender
Hey thanks for stopping by!
Yes your wisdom is most welcome and appreciated.
I hope you didn’t mind me copying and pasting your information and thread to the front page. Let me know if you do and I’ll take it down.
Haha champion of the shield? Nah it’s was me asking for help and somehow it got transformed into this.
I have no idea how to run a SWW .. I’ve switch out some stuff to run MP1 faster .. which look so weird but I’ll see if it’ll work or not.
I think I might not pick up any blues from now on and focus on Plvling … someone mentioned that after lvl 45P the loots start to drop more often.

Before this I was going very slowly through MP4. So maybe this will help me in the long run to get good drops so I can move up to higher MPs.
Recently switched from a Skorn build. Looking for advice to upgrade my barb. I am thinking that a new mainhand weapon is the next upgrade? I can usually farm up to MP 7 but dont really want to break up my IK 5 set since I just got to the 5 piece level. And advice would be appreciated thanks.
12/07/2012 01:12 PMPosted by QHTran
I hope you didn’t mind me copying and pasting your information and thread to the front page.
Not at all. Honored to help. I called you a champion of the shield as I've seen many many posts from you defending those who wear shields. As far as SWW is concerned its just gear that's optimized to fit the needs of WW and SnB specs. As posted, my gear is a good example of what it looks like (as long as no one tried to update it, then ill be naked lol). It runs like regular WW as far as the spec, but the gear is just different.
Edited by Ender#1728 on 12/7/2012 1:38 PM PST
hey everyone I've just pull some information in this thread to the front page... let me know if you feel uncomfortable and want to take your quote down. thanks

QH, thanks for putting in the time and effort into that!

12/07/2012 01:15 PMPosted by PUNO
Recently switched from a Skorn build. Looking for advice to upgrade my barb. I am thinking that a new mainhand weapon is the next upgrade? I can usually farm up to MP 7 but dont really want to break up my IK 5 set since I just got to the 5 piece level. And advice would be appreciated thanks.

PUNO, You've got a pretty balanced barb. Looking at your gear, i think a high dps weap is something that everyone aspires to get, but the easiest upgrades might be your ammy. You're losing up to 39% crit there and perhaps some vit and/or all resists.

I'm also looking for a weapon right now, but what i'm looking for is hard to find.
@Ender

I'm intrigued by the concept of a SWW. I have 1.64 (1.72 with enchantress) aps whic appears to be the minimum threshold that you recommend. Should I try and get to 1.8 aps? Can HotA be worked into SWW since it's such an awesome ability?
Nice to read this thread. Check out my build.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/myFri3nd-6148/hero/1456071

It's semi-S&B WW. I use WW with blood funnel rune for filling up my life and killing white monsters while using HoTA with smash rune for elite kills.

ps. recommends on improving my gear would be appreciated.
Edited by myFri3nd#6148 on 12/7/2012 4:16 PM PST
It's semi-S&B WW
when you say this its misleading, as the ww build really isnt about the ww ability, but about the tornadoes that proc from sprint run like the wind.
m intrigued by the concept of a SWW. I have 1.64 (1.72 with enchantress) aps whic appears to be the minimum threshold that you recommend. Should I try and get to 1.8 aps? Can HotA be worked into SWW since it's such an awesome ability?

Looking at your gear there would only be a lot of changes you would want to change to run the build optimally. All your jewlery would need to be CD/IAS instead of CC/CD, and therefore you would loose so much cc you would need to change your weapon to a mace or prefferably an axe with IAS (either one with LS, open socket, and high dps, forget about str or vit or CD) . A mempo would also be recommended for SWW. That said, 1.64 unbuffed APS is definitely enough to run the build, it just takes more effort to keep wotb up (like kiting packs to more trash mobs once or or two are dead or stopping or bash more frequently). I did it with 1.6 aps for along time though and it was still WAYY more effective than running regular SNB spec. Just use the WW spec from my guide if you want to try it.
@Ender - thanks for supporting this thread, feel free to provide some helpful inputs to the S&B'ers around here. cheers
12/07/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Ender
m intrigued by the concept of a SWW. I have 1.64 (1.72 with enchantress) aps whic appears to be the minimum threshold that you recommend. Should I try and get to 1.8 aps? Can HotA be worked into SWW since it's such an awesome ability?

Looking at your gear there would only be a lot of changes you would want to change to run the build optimally. All your jewlery would need to be CD/IAS instead of CC/CD, and therefore you would loose so much cc you would need to change your weapon to a mace or prefferably an axe with IAS (either one with LS, open socket, and high dps, forget about str or vit or CD) . A mempo would also be recommended for SWW. That said, 1.64 unbuffed APS is definitely enough to run the build, it just takes more effort to keep wotb up (like kiting packs to more trash mobs once or or two are dead or stopping or bash more frequently). I did it with 1.6 aps for along time though and it was still WAYY more effective than running regular SNB spec. Just use the WW spec from my guide if you want to try it.

I am glad you brought this up. I was and currently am running a SWW build when my focus is leveling. It is just faster... no way around that. I do however have a build good for people that cant keep WOTB up and was highly effective for me.

This is how i key it.... do whatever is comfortable... im just used to spamming 2

1 - Rend - Bloodlust if your EHP isnt great or lacerate if you have high enough EHP and LS
2 - Sprint - Run like the wind
3 - Battle Rage - Into the fray
4 - WOTB - Insanity (Use only on packs)

Left Click - Frenzy - Maniac
Right Click - WW - Hurricane

How it works is you just do the regular WW thing throughout trash and then you face tank elites with rend and WOTB. Then onto the next pack. My DPS is high enough to where packs go down prety fast, but I usually have WOTB for every pack unless they are really close together.

Passives I use for this build are...

Weapons Master
Relentless
Anomiously (Cant spell... the fury regen one) This isnt needed and you can use whatever passive you are comfotable with.

There are changes you can do to this as well, like use bash instead of frenzy, ect.

I would say this is a beginner SWW build, or one to someone like me who literally only does this for paragon leveling and doesnt really like the WW build in general.

Edit - My AIS is like 1.54 and I am able to keep a lot of fury regen the entire time but I do feel like thie build i mentioned above is good for everyone who cant keep WOTB for whatever reason. I also found that killing packs with WW kinda blows and is much slower than jst face tanking them, this is another reason why I like the build above.
Edited by BALLER#1390 on 12/7/2012 6:59 PM PST
12/07/2012 07:12 AMPosted by Crypter
so I am not sure I got a good deal.... I traded my old IK helm (260 str / 60 vit / 6cc ) + 100m for the mempo in my profile now... not sure if i shoulda held out for a 6cc one... but i figured i got enough cc that it wouldn't hurt too much. I like the ias gain from the mempo and I love the way this thing looks.

You got max resist to man, I think it would a pretty good deal. You have been saying how AIS has been helping you out in your build to, so I feel you did a good move. You can always go up to the 6 CC one later.
12/06/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Crypter
@Celanian yea you want to be using Bash /w Punish for HOTA....I would see if you can get a Bash belt.

Crypter, all my fury problems with the HotA build were solved by simply using Overpower Killing Spree. I can kill elites pretty quickly now even without WotB up. The downside is that without War Cry, I can actually die at higher MP levels if I'm not careful.
I'm definitely a fan of HoTA SnB with all the buffs possible.

Frenzy, overpower, BS and thrive WoTB. Huge huge DPS. Sitting at 325k self buffed paper dps. Seem to be getting close to 2mil single target actual DPS :)
I am enjoying using HOTA Birthright combined with pickup radius of 7 yards and +12.6k life from potions and health orbs. Seems like I am getting constant health replenishment when I do MP 10!
I am a die hard SnB HoTA barb and as Fizzlesprig stated the single target dps is insane, get used to hota and you'll find yourself automatically lining up to hota as many targets as possible at once keeping you full fury for full fight. The survivability is AMAZING. I do not die, ever.
S/b will be king come pvp, i have had several psychics confirm this
Lol @ jook, the top 1 pvp dummy barb came to say hi, stop upgrading man!! I wont be able to catch up!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]