Diablo® III

*S&B Barb Q&A Thread*

Longtime Axe and Board user here. Currently I'm trying to reach the 100k dps club, just wondering if any of you top SnB barbs could helpout with gear advise. I know my build is not the right build to run but it works for me, I'll eventually change it out once I get my gear in order. Oh i'm poor atm only have 11m gold so upgrading will be slow until I aquire more monies. Thank you.
@goose

I am honestly impressed by your gear. You managed to get near 100k dps with just one legendary. I think you may have hit the wall with budget gearing, however, as an snb barb trying to get my dps up as well without taking a lot of hit in my EHP, I'll try to opine on your upgrade. The godly barbs here may give better advice though, so wait for their tips first.

Heres my suggestion:

A) Your lifepool is impressive. I'd try to save up for a high STR, 45+CD witching hour. AR make these belts really expensive (Mine doesn't have one lol). Otherwise, you can transfer the lost AR on new gloves/ new right ring. Try to up your CC to at least 30.

B) I honestly feel that you are being held back by the vit you get from your main.
A min 1.2k dps weap with socket will make a huge difference.
Edited by impepe#6528 on 12/9/2012 8:05 AM PST
Hello fellow snb's!!! Loving the thread and all the helpful advice you guys are providing. There are some seriously insane barbs here! Snb is the way to go and it's just gonna get better whenever pvp begins( hopefully soon lol) keep up the awesome thread!! Cheers!
not all of us use swords tho
Edited by Jook#1782 on 12/9/2012 4:44 PM PST
Give some love for SnB
12/09/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Jook

I am using sword and got 15% dmg bonus from weapon master... but 10% cc from mace/axe is very attractive indeed especially for 100% cc HoTA build !! I think we can get 100% cc even without WoTB !!
Been doing some experimenting, definitely have decreased the amount of time it takes me to do my xp/item runs using WW with the fury generating rune (Wind Shears). I realize that this may not be the best rune choice, but considering that I'm not nearly as impressive gear-wise as Baller, powpowboom, and company I have to make some restrictions for survivability due to my damage being less than 50k.

I've switched to Fury -> Maniac as my attack rune, and I'm just not really sure if I like it better than Bash -> Instigation for pure fury gen.
\
Thoughts?
Ok, i'm pulling into the pits for a check under the hood!

114k dps which is just the weapon master & ruthless buffs. Goes over 150k with battle rage so the damage is very nice. EHP is 1,278k according to diabloprogress.

What upgrade/change should I work towards next? I recently did some upgrades that have left only 6 million in the kitty atm, but im wondering what sort of gp I need for the next stage or to just be happy with my barb as he is and start work on another toon?

So advice & tips most welcome!
Been doing some experimenting, definitely have decreased the amount of time it takes me to do my xp/item runs using WW with the fury generating rune (Wind Shears). I realize that this may not be the best rune choice, but considering that I'm not nearly as impressive gear-wise as Baller, powpowboom, and company I have to make some restrictions for survivability due to my damage being less than 50k.

I've switched to Fury -> Maniac as my attack rune, and I'm just not really sure if I like it better than Bash -> Instigation for pure fury gen.
\
Thoughts?

The bash will be better for pure fury gen. I am able to get away with using frenzy because I used the passive unforgiving when i mess around with WW, plus i use templar as my follower for extra fury regen.... but even with friends the unforgiving rune is enough for me. If you are having problems with fury, then for sure use bash.
New Axe/Broad barb reporting in. Was previously using a skorn but decided to try out a shield barb so regeared and now here i am.

Am hoping to get some comments on my current setup from the SnB community and also how to improve my barb.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Am thinking of upgrading my helm to a mempo. But cant decide if i should go for one with 200+str/40+vit (with no crit chance) for the stats boost or should i go for one with around 3% CC ? Or would it be better if i got a IK Helm with some AR? Really appreciate any advice..
Edited by Repuls0r#1166 on 12/10/2012 6:37 AM PST
Awesome thread, enough so to make my first post on this forum. Great advice all over for SnB Barbs. I tried many different builds and just have no fun with wotb:toc (Hota or WW) so I went back to basics with SnB. I am glad to see other non toc barbs.

Asmodeous: I would swap animosity for either berserker or brawler and revenge for overpower killing spree if your survival/sustain is ok at the moment. I regen enough fury to spam rend as much as i want (so much that im thinking of going back to berserker)I'm at 102k unbuffed and once full fury (or 3 mobs within 8yards) with BR:MR + OP:KS and frenzy 5 stacks, paper dmg goes up to 215 or 219k, with insanity, 430~445 (all with enchantress).

hope this helps
12/09/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Jook

i use a sword and i like it lol

Jook, I'm impressed with your 2k vit. I don't think any one will be able to kill you or Nikeboy during pvp.

\
Thoughts?

I'm going to go with Frenzy maniac. Actually, i did this weekend and i like it better than bash. The big difference is the attack speed. When you are in the middle of a fight and you have 5 stack frenzy, you have 75% to weap attack speed...this also means your hammer attack is faster too. Its like watching a movie with the fast forward button pressed.

i like that better than the stagnant Bash attack speed. The downside is that the first few swings are slow with frenzy so it takes a bit to wind it up...but once its up, watch out.
Edited by powpowboom71#1665 on 12/10/2012 8:54 AM PST
View profile
12/10/2012 08:28 AMPosted by powpowboom71

i use a sword and i like it lol

Jook, I'm impressed with your 2k vit. I don't think any one will be able to kill you or Nikeboy during pvp.

damn Jook 56% block chance on a 6.8M RAW EHP, i bet your buffed EHP would be about 8-9M?
on top of it 6 digit DPS! you're stats are insane my friend.
I found the WW discussion in particular super interesting, thanks to Ender and Baller for sharing info on that. It looks like each have a completely different way to skin the cat. Ender's methodology seems more similar to traditional dual-wield versions of this build, in that WW is used on trash and elites, and there's a strong emphasis on increased attack speed to get RLtW/WW tick rates up (which the crit chance on shield gives you more room on other gear to get IAS). On the other hand, Baller is using WW for trash only and using WotB + rend + fury-generator for elites, and thus going super high crit chance rather than faster attack speeds.

Baller's method is one I hadn't even considered. I guess in that case you would get just enough IAS to get to a reasonable tick breakpoint using Nubtro's tables (maybe something in the range of 1 to 2 items w/ IAS), then go full on crit chance and crit damage on everything else. Is the damage from rend really good enough in this scenario to kill elites quickly? I wouldn't have thought so initially, but now I really want to try this out. Plus you still have WW as a way to get around mob collision detection in an elite fight where you need to move to another position quickly (get out of desecration pool, etc.), which is handy.
Ok, i'm pulling into the pits for a check under the hood!

114k dps which is just the weapon master & ruthless buffs. Goes over 150k with battle rage so the damage is very nice. EHP is 1,278k according to diabloprogress.

What upgrade/change should I work towards next? I recently did some upgrades that have left only 6 million in the kitty atm, but im wondering what sort of gp I need for the next stage or to just be happy with my barb as he is and start work on another toon?

So advice & tips most welcome!

i like what you have done with your barb. I think with 6mill left, you should fill up the bank a little before doing any thing else. You aren't gonna upgrade much for 6mill

I think you need a little more attack speed which should be your next area of concern. As always, we barbs all need more vit, more str, more armor, more ar
New Axe/Broad barb reporting in. Was previously using a skorn but decided to try out a shield barb so regeared and now here i am.

Am hoping to get some comments on my current setup from the SnB community and also how to improve my barb.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Am thinking of upgrading my helm to a mempo. But cant decide if i should go for one with 200+str/40+vit (with no crit chance) for the stats boost or should i go for one with around 3% CC ? Or would it be better if i got a IK Helm with some AR? Really appreciate any advice..

Repuls0r, you may be new to S/B, but from the looks of your gear, you aren't a new barb

You've got some great gear. I'd keep your IK helm until you can get a mempo with crit. I think you'll lose too much otherwise. You already have a ton of attack speed, but you'll lose 6% CC and 10% to melee reduc which is huge for you because you aren't using an armor passive. So there's some tinkering to be done. have you plugged into a dps calc what would happen if you lose 6% CC but add 9% IAS? i think you should keep the 6%CC for now
@BALLER
Nice Shield WW build ;), I’ve copied it to the front page if you don’t mind = )

@Selbus
Yeah give Baller’s build a try, it’s very good for lvling or farming
I’m just using Bash instead of Frenzy but I do it on MP1.
Rend will be your heal and between all the tornados bash and rend the elites goes down very quickly
White mob just melt
On higher mp I find that having higher HP and switching hurricane to blood funnel will give you a lot of sustainability .. you just don’t die lol
View profile
@goose

You have way more to spend than you are going ot need to hit 100k. I grabbed my shoulders for under 200k. That's another 1.5% dps right there for dirt cheap. However, the biggest pop should be coming from your 2nd ring. You can do better for around 1m and a lot better for 2.5m (enough to hit 100k). I would shop for CC, avg. dmg, str instead though if you want the best bang for the buck (5.5, 50, 130+) or (5.5, 50, 80+ and a socket). This should also position you better for defense, cc based builds, and future gains (when you can afford a weapon with cd and an open socket).

FYI - My entire barb cost less than one of your gems so I know what I am talking about.
Edited by AZsnowstorm#1818 on 12/10/2012 9:49 AM PST
Thanks for the input Powpow. Yeah i know i have abit of tinkering to do. My current aim is to increase my AR and Vit without affecting my dps by too much cos i find that my ehp is really too low for a SnB.

Was wondering, for a SnB barb what amount of AR, Vit, Str, Dps should i aim for to farm mp10 ubers efficiently ?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]