Diablo® III

best in slot for WD for an all around build

ive posted a few different times asking people what was best for this or that and had lots of great responses from them. it was great to hear what many people use and why so ive narrowed it down to this list and ill explain why the items are there.
* this gear was intended for a bears build but works great with most other builds also

the main thing ive learned talking to everyone is that you can have super high dps but if you dont have the mana to use ur hard hitting skills then you lose dps and at the other end of the scale you can get gear to have infinite (or close to it) mana but it may sacrafice some dps or survival stats. so this is where the all around gear comes in.
this gear will not give infinite mana and it will not give you the highest dps in the game but it will give you what is needed for a smooth run, so here goes....

*at first we are gonna focus on the gear itself and not include the set bonuses till we get to rings

head slot
Visage of Giyua

reason for this hat is that the zuni set CAN NOT have all the stats were looking for since it only has 1 random slot in it... this hat can have resist all crit chance and mana regen all at the same time and for a descent price

chest slot
Zunimassa's Marrow

its a pretty hard call when it comes to this tyraels and tal rasha chest because they all can have 3 sockets resist all and high int/vita but this one is what we choose cause its gonna help with set bonus later
(for this build aim for high vita/int and if you can get it pickup radius)

Amulet
Tal Rasha's Allegiance

it has high stats in all the right places and comes with elemental dmg for our wep though cant overlook a nicely rolled rare if you find one thats better

Boots
Zunimassa's Trail

all the stats you need with some added poison dmg
*depending on your other items either look for high resist all or pickup radius

Offhand
Zunimassa's String of Skulls

this is where people will start to fight but please let me explain myself... a lot of people use the manajuma set but the reason we use this is cause the helm we chose has better stats so we need this piece for set bonus also some may think that Thing of the Deep is better but we can get the pickup radius on other items and zuni can have all the main stats needed... high crit/int mana regen/high average dmg/bonus to skills we use. also we wont be using the manajuma wep so no set bonus from it...

Weapon
here were looking for a high dps black wep with crit dmg/socket/lifesteal

why no manajuma? because we will be getting a higher bonus to weapon dmg from our tals ammy and zuni boots if its a black wep... why not look for mana regen?
if you can find it great but as far as i can tell at least the only weps with mana regen are witchdoctor specific weps and while they may exist i dont know of any that dont have some sort of elemental dmg on them. but like i said if you can find that also then great.

Rings
Zunimassa's Pox

this is where the set bonus comes in.... i know this ring with great stats can be pricy so even if you must get a cheaper one at least your getting a few things... Resist all/Int/crit dmg plus whatever you can... also since we dont have any mana regen on our wep we really need to get the 4 piece set bonus from zuni. so while this may or may not be best in slot the set bonuses put it over the top in my mind. for the other ring im gonna leave that to personal preferance.... some want hellfire for lvling some want stone of jordan and some just want a nice rare they found but to each their own.

next few items dont need much explaining...

Shoulders
Vile Ward

Belt
The Witching Hour

Wrist
Lacuni Prowlers

for the movement speed /crit chance /attack speed
if max movement isnt a big deal then shoot for rares with pickup radius and or resist all

Pants

for the all around build were gonna go with some rare pants that have high vita/int with resist all and if we can pickup radius but only if you can afford it.
Edit-Blackthorne's Jousting Mail are a great option also that can give life on hit
*seen a lot of people use innas pants and yes they are great for dmg but you miss out on lots of survival stats when you get them so for this build we dont use them

so all in all with this you should have a pretty descent amount of mana regen with high vita/resist all. lots of the items had room to fudge this way or that but if you use grave injustice / gruesome fiest your gonna wanna make sure you have plenty of pickup radius since we arent using Thing of the Deep in our offhand.

i know that there are many specific builds people like or they may have preferances so yes the gear can change depending on your style/build but i just wanted to make this as a basic guideline people can follow that should let them do well in higher mp lvls.

if anyone has other suggestions/comments that are not flat our complaining please post =D
Edited by Kwikee#1676 on 11/27/2012 3:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like the way you think cause that means I don't need to change anything !
Reply Quote
I have a few suggestions. You did not mention any builds using a 2-hander. And you don't mention LoH as a viable alternative to life-steal on a weapon. LoH is very effective. Look at my build, I currently have ~2900 LoH - this provides me with a LOT of survivability.

Check out my Skorn - I consider it to be very effective.

With regards to shoulders and wrists, I disagree with you. Take a look at my shoulders and bracers. I get massive life and resists. Additionally, IAS really is just "paper dps" for most WD builds. The IAS on Lacuni Prowlers falsely inflates actual DPS numbers.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
I have a few suggestions. You did not mention any builds using a 2-hander. And you don't mention LoH as a viable alternative to life-steal on a weapon. LoH is very effective. Look at my build, I currently have ~2900 LoH - this provides me with a LOT of survivability.

Check out my Skorn - I consider it to be very effective.

With regards to shoulders and wrists, I disagree with you. Take a look at my shoulders and bracers. I get massive life and resists. Additionally, IAS really is just "paper dps" for most WD builds. The IAS on Lacuni Prowlers falsely inflates actual DPS numbers.

Just my 2 cents.

honestly i just dont have the experience with 2h builds cause ive never tried them, i know they are a very viable option but i wouldnt feel comfortable writing about something i have no idea about, same for life on hit builds cause ive never used them. but if you have the time feel free to post any info you can here so everyone has a place they can check it out without searching too much =D
Reply Quote
So damage bonus from zuni boots and tals ammy does not apply to juma's knife?
Reply Quote
Also, why bother with pickup rad. from other pieces when you can get that right from thing of deep?

Overall, the gear you use is all dependent on your playstyle and skills you'll be using when farming or fighting ubers.

Example, when I fight ubers, gruesome feast, grave injustice is pretty much useless in uber runs.

I go with spirit vessel, ptv, tribal rites. I use stun darts, stun garg, zombie bears for damage, spirit walk(jaunt), fetishes (first run), bbv (mana regen rune). So, I really don't need mana regen and all that when I have to switch between poison darts and bears. I spam bears when I can with rain dance up. I roll with andarials helm, and thing of the deep still for the pickup rad. I have a gory fetch, but high crit ones are too expensive.

For farming I do the basic grave injustice, gruesome feast face roll build though. Pretty awesome with an ls juma knife.
Reply Quote
Lacuni's have horribly low int rolls, and impossible to find one with say 100-150 Int, vit, and 6cc.

Pants it's going to be between Depth Diggers, Blackthornes, and Innas depending on what you need and are doing...the random rare will compete with Depth Diggers though.

Offhand a perfect SOS is the way to go but impossible to find. US is a close, and a proper TOD can be really nice as well. Max Mana + MR is just as nice as the 20 PUR the biggest draw back is the lack of Damage Vs Elites, and the 8.5cc cap.

Tal Rasha is a good option but you can now roll rares that are a lot nicer. 10cc/100cd beats out 5%-6% elemental damage given all other things are the same.

Visage of G is nice but the int roll caps out to low. It's INT or CC, and most people can't find a good enough SOS anyways to make it useable.

Pox is required, and SOJ should be your other ring.

Rare shoulders can roll better then wards but it doesn't happen often.

Weapon if you can get CD/OS/LS/Int you are set. If not drop CD. Bonus vs elites extra, black damage is a nice perk, as is AS, mr, max mana, or vit. As long as the average damage is high doesn't matter if it's a mace or a knife.
Reply Quote
it does but only to the physical dmg part.... its kinda hard to explain the numbers and all but if you have a wep with 1500 dmg and the wep says it adds 500 psn or cold dmg or whatever then it has 1000 base dmg (black dmg) so a tal ammy that adds 5% dmg is added to the 1000 black dmg but not the 500. but if you had a wep that was 1500 dmg and it said adds 500 dmg but doesnt say that its cold fire or anything like that then its just normal dmg. that kinda wep is called a black wep cause of no elemental dmg. and your 5% would work off of all 1500 dmg so it adds more dps just cause no elemental dmg is on it.
im sure i didnt explain that well but if you do a search for Black weapon it will explain it a lot better than i ever could
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Digiramm

no but it will apply to your rings, amulets, and mojo if they have bonus damage.
Reply Quote
it does but only to the physical dmg part.... its kinda hard to explain the numbers and all but if you have a wep with 1500 dmg and the wep says it adds 500 psn or cold dmg or whatever then it has 1000 base dmg (black dmg) so a tal ammy that adds 5% dmg is added to the 1000 black dmg but not the 500. but if you had a wep that was 1500 dmg and it said adds 500 dmg but doesnt say that its cold fire or anything like that then its just normal dmg. that kinda wep is called a black wep cause of no elemental dmg. and your 5% would work off of all 1500 dmg so it adds more dps just cause no elemental dmg is on it.
im sure i didnt explain that well but if you do a search for Black weapon it will explain it a lot better than i ever could

Don't believe the hype in regards to the 'black' weapons. In your example case, the 1500 purely 'black' weapon does an additional 5% damage or 75 dps while the normal, elemental damage weapon with 1000 base and 500 elemental does 50 extra DPS.

Truly I don't think that 25dps is much to worry about, and you are using very high DPS weapons in your example (ie, no 1h is going to reach 1500 unless there is an echoing out there with that much), so the actual DPS difference will probably be even less than 25 dps.

At least that's the way I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Brahm

no but it will apply to your rings, amulets, and mojo if they have bonus damage.

This isn't true, they DO apply to the 'base' damage of the MCK.
Reply Quote

I see, thanks for explanation.

Anyhow, anybody WD struggling with ubers at all should look into using stun darts and stun garg to keep them, well, stunned.. lol. Works great.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Digiramm
Also, why bother with pickup rad. from other pieces when you can get that right from thing of deep?

i didnt go for using the thing of the deep cause i wanted to do a few things with the gear...
-wanted to have plenty mana regen
-get the most from my ammy and boots % bonus
-also i just think the visage blows the zumi hat away
so if i have a black wep with no mana regen ill be lacking mana regen unless i complete the zumi set. but since im not using that hat i had to replace thing of the deep with zuma offhand which isnt a big deal to get the pickup radius on a few items
Reply Quote
It's more complicated then you make out, and it depends on what you find when shopping, and what your budget is.

I couldn't afford a high-CC visage, but I got a 5% Crit to AC Vision, and lookee 283 Int!
That 283 int equates to MORE damage for me then 6 CC, and 6CC Visions are stupidly expensive.
Plus, you get lots of life and vit and Max Mana.
This also meant I was able to get a Serpent offhand, which rolls 9-10 CC, and cost no where NEAR as much as a SoS that has such high CC, and I mean 10's of millions cheaper.

I agree on the ToTD, it has much lower damage potential, and PU radius rolls on pretty much every slot, it's VERY easy to get 25+ PU radius without using a Thing.

Basically you're being too dogmatic.
Edited by Yxalitis#1645 on 11/27/2012 6:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
W/ Tal Rash You get better DMG value if you run an all Black DMG weapon. Elemental is a waste.
Edited by battletag#11838 on 11/27/2012 7:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
OP - For your information a Skorn is all black damage which is why those that use zuni and tal rasha get a nice DPS boost when equipping one.
Also a Life steal Skorn will kick the crap out of any 1 hander with life steal because Skorns have almost twice as much life steal as a one hander. Once you get over 100,000 DPS you can recharge your life pool really fast with a LS Skorn.
And cheers to those that use LoH Skorns. They're good also.

So to gear for a Skorn you would make the following changes:

The VoG helm gets tossed for a high Int Zuni Vision (270 + int) with 3 - 6% crit chance.

There is no slot for an SoS mojo so that goes.

Lacunis Bracers are for the most part junk unless you want to sacrifice defensive stats like AR and vitality for movement speed (the speed running junkies love these). So you could use Strong Arm bracers or go with a nice well balanced rare instead.

Pants are whatever is best for your build, usually not rare pants. As stated by others the choice is Blackthorn's for life on hit, Depth Diggers for AR, and Inna's for those that missed out on Lacuni bracers and have to have 24 MS of movement speed regardless of how worthless the rest of the stats are.
Reply Quote

Don't believe the hype in regards to the 'black' weapons. In your example case, the 1500 purely 'black' weapon does an additional 5% damage or 75 dps while the normal, elemental damage weapon with 1000 base and 500 elemental does 50 extra DPS.

Truly I don't think that 25dps is much to worry about, and you are using very high DPS weapons in your example (ie, no 1h is going to reach 1500 unless there is an echoing out there with that much), so the actual DPS difference will probably be even less than 25 dps.

At least that's the way I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. I get 1k dps per % of elemental damage.
Reply Quote
there is a ton of long posts in here that i didnt read all of but if someone already said this then just ignore:

+%Elemental damage still effects manajumas carving knife as well as other non fully black damage weapons.

the part of the weapon it effects is the base weapon dmg, not the +xxx-xxx Poison/Fire/etc Damage.

Example:
My current weapon

Manajumas Carving Knife
870.5 DPS
353-891 Damage

Affix:
+246-459 Poison Damage

--------

what you do is take the min poison dmg away from min weapon damage and max poison from max weapon

so we have:

(353-246) - (891-459) = 107-432 BLACK damage

the 107-432 Damage is effected by +%elemental damage on items such as Tal's neck and Zuni boots.

at least from what I have calculated and seen, it seems to work this way. It still effects all weapons, it just effects pure physical dmg weapons to a greater extent.
Edited by Soundb#1770 on 11/27/2012 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
lil thing i found is that when you are on a budget (works best for black weps since you benefit more anyways) and wanna upgrade ur wep. most everyone will be looking for crit dmg lifesteal and socket. well lets say ur budget is 50m.... usually to get a wep with those stats it will be a lower dps wep... 900 ish, a lot of times you can find a wep that has higher dps 1100-1200 range with socket lifesteal and stats like int/vita and it will do the same or more dps. the benefit to this is that if your wep has higher base dmg(black dmg) you will be gaining more dps from your %dmg on boots/amy items. so when searching keep in mind that it may better to go without the crit dmg if you can find one with stats. only way to be certain is to find weps in ur budget and link in chat then enter game and see how they affect you b4 purchasing but ive found that it helps me a ton.
Reply Quote
11/28/2012 01:00 AMPosted by Kwikee
lil thing i found is that when you are on a budget (works best for black weps since you benefit more anyways) and wanna upgrade ur wep. most everyone will be looking for crit dmg lifesteal and socket. well lets say ur budget is 50m.... usually to get a wep with those stats it will be a lower dps wep... 900 ish, a lot of times you can find a wep that has higher dps 1100-1200 range with socket lifesteal and stats like int/vita and it will do the same or more dps. the benefit to this is that if your wep has higher base dmg(black dmg) you will be gaining more dps from your %dmg on boots/amy items. so when searching keep in mind that it may better to go without the crit dmg if you can find one with stats. only way to be certain is to find weps in ur budget and link in chat then enter game and see how they affect you b4 purchasing but ive found that it helps me a ton.

yeah, usually higher damage based weapons will beat lower damage weapons with crit... AVG damage is the #1 stat above everything else, on almost every piece of gear, i believe crit dmg only comes ahead of AVG dmg on amulets.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]