Diablo® III

best in slot for WD for an all around build

I really like you post Kwikee. I'm pretty much using what you have listed. Over all items I have I think I have low life and armour but inspecting other WD I found that normally the armour is not much higher than mine.

Any thoughts on my items?

PD: I'm in EU
Edited by equinozio#2145 on 11/28/2012 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Brahm
As long as the average damage is high doesn't matter if it's a mace or a knife.

100% agree with you on this one. Carving Knife imo is overrated and overpriced - it actually have really low average damage, compared to a 900+DPS mace/spear. I actually bought a 915 dps mace with 190 int , 90 CHD, OS and LS for 25 mil and it works far better than a 1003dps OS carving knife that I sold for almost 280mil, that's a fraction of the price.

Plus, I don't run out of mana spamming bears.

But having said that, I still prefer 2h skorn with LS for higher MP, esp vs reflect dmg mobs.
Reply Quote
I actually bought a 915 dps mace with 190 int , 90 CHD, OS and LS for 25 mil and it works far better than a 1003dps OS carving knife that I sold for almost 280mil, that's a fraction of the price.

Plus, I don't run out of mana spamming bears.

What you are talking about is weapon attack speed. Less attack speed on the weapon and greater average damage means less bears to do the same amount of damage. Less bears thrown = less mana used.

This is what people are talking about when they say a 2H is more mana efficient than a one hander. Less attack speed, more damage, less mana used for same damage.

What turns people off to slower weapons is that they can't spam primaries as fast, so they don't use slower weapons.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to point out that Jordan ring can also give bonus dmg poison, that s a 18 or 19% total bonus dmg poison that you can get.. on a 1k black weapon it means 180 more dmg (which is huge), while on a 1k +300-600poison it means only +99 dmg. So a 81 dmg difference between a 1k black weapon and a 1k elemental damage weapon is kinda huge.
Also if you run with acid rain as main DPS, not using bears, a slow weapon (mace spear with no ias) is definitely better than a manajuma or echoig fury, at same dps/cd/int.

I am also not very convinced about the usefulness of The witching hour for GI/GF acid rain builds for low MPs farming/exping.. ias is usless while cdd is useless versus trash (given you should OS it even without crits).. so basically it will give you a lot of paper dps but not much real dps, and you will most likely give up quite some int/vit/resist compared to other belts you could get for the same price.
Edited by Emphyrio#1922 on 11/28/2012 5:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Kwikee
f you can find it great but as far as i can tell at least the only weps with mana regen are witchdoctor specific weps and while they may exist i dont know of any that dont have some sort of elemental dmg on them.

Just saw one on the EU AH a couple days ago, 970 dps black damage ceremonial knife with LS, socket and mana regen (no native crit damage though).
Reply Quote
Ceremonial knives are WD only weapons ( like mine ) and can only get mana regen (weapons like maces/swords/spears will never roll mana regen).
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Brahm
Tal Rasha is a good option but you can now roll rares that are a lot nicer. 10cc/100cd beats out 5%-6% elemental damage given all other things are the same.

I was curious, so I ran this through my damage calculator. A Tal's with 10 cc, 65 cd, and 6% (barely) beats out an ammy with no elemental damage, 10/100 and the same int (at least for my character, but I roll with Skorn, so elemental bonus probably has a higher impact for me).
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 11/28/2012 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
lol this !@#$ is funny. sigh...

there is no 'BiS' in most cases, except for vile and witching hour. and as for ammy, WHY WOULD MARA'S NOT BE BEST IN SLOT, BUT VISAGE WOULD?

That literally has faulty logic written all over it.

Just sayin'.
Reply Quote
OP - For your information a Skorn is all black damage which is why those that use zuni and tal rasha get a nice DPS boost when equipping one.
Also a Life steal Skorn will kick the crap out of any 1 hander with life steal because Skorns have almost twice as much life steal as a one hander. Once you get over 100,000 DPS you can recharge your life pool really fast with a LS Skorn.
And cheers to those that use LoH Skorns. They're good also.

So to gear for a Skorn you would make the following changes:

The VoG helm gets tossed for a high Int Zuni Vision (270 + int) with 3 - 6% crit chance.

There is no slot for an SoS mojo so that goes.

Lacunis Bracers are for the most part junk unless you want to sacrifice defensive stats like AR and vitality for movement speed (the speed running junkies love these). So you could use Strong Arm bracers or go with a nice well balanced rare instead.

Pants are whatever is best for your build, usually not rare pants. As stated by others the choice is Blackthorn's for life on hit, Depth Diggers for AR, and Inna's for those that missed out on Lacuni bracers and have to have 24 MS of movement speed regardless of how worthless the rest of the stats are.

So if I want to run a LS Skorn Bears build, would this be my setup?:

Helm: Zuni
Chest: Zuni
Pants: Inna
Gloves: Sage / Rare
Bracers: Strongarm / Rare
Boots: Zuni
Amulet: Tal's
Ring 1: Zuni Pox
Ring 2: SoJ / Rare

Can swap bracers for Lacuni, pants for Blackthorne / Rare.
Edited by ajinkris#1568 on 12/14/2012 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
Over on the mages forums they came up with the best theoretical dps for a mage. It was something in the neighborhood of 1.4 million with perfect dps stats on each piece of gear. WD's don't get all the nice buffs mages do, but ours would still be above 1 mill. I'm pretty sure that set would be BiS because at that point things like mana regen (i.e. set bonus, mana/s on gear, etc.), and defenses would cease to be a problem.

My point being at some point most legendaries we currently use become overshadowed by perfectly rolled rares or other items like say Mempo at the absolute highest level of gear.

IIRC the set they got the max with was something like this:

Helm - 9 ias/6 cc/ perfect int Mempo's
Shoulders - Perfect int/stam/life%/res all/ +2 other props
Chest - Perfect int/res all tal's
Amy - perfect rolled 9ias/100CD/10CC/max int/+max dmg range + other prop
Hands - max int/9%ias/50CD/10CC +2 other prop
Belt - perfect WH
Hands - perfect lacuni's
Ring 1 - Perfect trifecta, int, dmg, + other prop rare
Ring 2 - Nat's w/ max int/CD/CC (check the set bonus for this one)
Pants - max int inna's
Boots - Nat's w/ max int
Weapon - 1H rare sword with perfect dmg stats (+352 min. dmg, +447 max dmg, 50% dmg, CD, ias, int, socket
Offhand - They had triumvirate, but for us it would be either a rare or uhktopian, not sure.

The Nat's was based on the extra 7% CC from the set bonus vs. our +130 int for zunimassi's.

Edit: EHP isn't an issue with this set either FYI, it was something like 600k EHP becuase of all the int/stam and +other props
Edited by Gorim#1650 on 12/14/2012 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
sounds like my build just about, tho the helm I have I think is a bit better. grin reaper creates clones of you, 3 clones that deal lots of damage, way more than the 20k dps a decent helm could give me.
Reply Quote
Don't believe the hype in regards to the 'black' weapons. In your example case, the 1500 purely 'black' weapon does an additional 5% damage or 75 dps while the normal, elemental damage weapon with 1000 base and 500 elemental does 50 extra DPS.

11/27/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Brahm
You are wrong. I get 1k dps per % of elemental damage.

He didn't to multiply by int, crit chance, crit damage, and IAS. I think he meant it's like 50 less average damage on the weapon. That does seem like kinda a big deal to me, though.
Edited by SimplMasheen#1766 on 12/15/2012 2:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'll throw rare pants out there as BIS. It is not *that* unusual to find rare pants with stats like the following on the AH:

INT: 150+
VIT: 250+
AR: 75+
Random Stat

This will give you a few K less paper dps than Inna's, but will likely add well over 100K ehp more than Inna's. Compared to Blackthorne's, these pants will either give you a lot more ehp or dps than BT (depending on your BT rolls); for example, for my BT, which has pretty darn good rolls, pants like above would give me ~10k more dps while only losing ~25k ehp.

Of course for BIS, this is probably only viable for WD's that have gone the Lacuni route (so you would still end up with 24% MS). I saw pants on AH a few days ago with stats above... "Random Stat" was 7 PUR. Of course they were selling for 400 mil with a couple hours left in the auction...
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 12/15/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'll throw rare pants out there as BIS. It is not *that* unusual to find rare pants with stats like the following on the AH:

INT: 150+
VIT: 250+
AR: 75+
Random Stat

This will give you a few K less paper dps than Inna's, but will likely add well over 100K ehp more than Inna's. Compared to Blackthorne's, these pants will either give you a lot more ehp or dps than BT (depending on your BT rolls); for example, for my BT, which has pretty darn good rolls, pants like above would give me ~10k more dps while only losing ~25k ehp.

Of course for BIS, this is probably only viable for WD's that have gone the Lacuni route (so you would still end up with 24% MS). I saw pants on AH a few days ago with stats above... "Random Stat" was 7 PUR. Of course they were selling for 400 mil with a couple hours left in the auction...

Best overall pants would definately be a rare. up to 300 int, 300 vit, 80 res all, 2 sockets, 1 random (400 armor for ehp, hps, or Pu radius would be the best possibilities.)
Reply Quote
So... what the hell do I buy? All of the stuff in the comments and post?
Reply Quote
Nice guide. Submitted to the Open Game Database with a link back to this thread at the top for credit.

http://opengamedb.net/guides/best-slot-gear-all-around-build-182

Any registered user can make updates as necessary.
Reply Quote
Lacuni's have horribly low int rolls, and impossible to find one with say 100-150 Int, vit, and 6cc.

mine are damn close
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]