Diablo® III

LootAlert - Allowed Or Not?

First of all, I KNOW 3RD PARTY APPS/MODIFYING THE GAME IN ANY WAY VIOLATES THE TOS.

Please read ^ before you comment even though I know you won't. Trolls inbound.

Moving on, I have heard/read mixed things about LootAlert and whether it is really allowed or not. I have heard from plenty of people it is allowed because a blue post said it was, but alas, I cannot find this post even with my google-fu turned up to 11.

But then...I read some high paragon level dude in Europe gets banned for using it...I know America servers are not Europe servers, but this simply adds to the confusion.

SO, can anyone link me to the alleged aforementioned blue post in regards to this? Or can a blue please come and actually add some clarity to this?

I have seen plenty of people use LootAlert on twitchtv without repercussions for months, but I am not willing to take that chance without knowing for sure.

Thanks!

ps- I only want to use LootAlert because I now want to main as my barb. But barbs kill stuff behind them, whereas archon wizard kills out in front.
Edited by sHockz#1347 on 11/30/2012 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
it is not allowed. 3rd party software is not allowed.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 01:33 PMPosted by prizim
it is not allowed. 3rd party software is not allowed.

thank you for stating what i already knew. apparently loot alert is a separate case. i want the blue post in regards to clarifying loot alert.
Reply Quote
Botting is allowed.

Loot Alert isn't.

Go figure.
Edited by prankmaster#2124 on 11/30/2012 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 01:30 PMPosted by sHockz
First of all, I KNOW 3RD PARTY APPS/MODIFYING THE GAME IN ANY WAY VIOLATES THE TOS.

Did blizzard make LootAlert?
Reply Quote

Please read ^ before you comment even though I know you won't. Trolls inbound.

Moving on, I have heard/read mixed things about LootAlert and whether it is really allowed or not. I have heard from plenty of people it is allowed because a blue post said it was, but alas, I cannot find this post even with my google-fu turned up to 11.

But then...I read some high paragon level dude in Europe gets banned for using it...I know America servers are not Europe servers, but this simply adds to the confusion.

SO, can anyone link me to the alleged aforementioned blue post in regards to this? Or can a blue please come and actually add some clarity to this?

I have seen plenty of people use LootAlert on twitchtv without repercussions for months, but I am not willing to take that chance without knowing for sure.

Thanks!

ps- I only want to use LootAlert because I now want to main as my barb. But barbs kill stuff behind them, whereas archon wizard kills out in front.

The info you see is here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7810825/Diablo_III_Players_Banned-11_8_2012

One could effectivly argue that loot alert

•Obtain information about Diablo III that's not normally available to the player
•Provide access to features or abilities beyond what is allowed by the game's design

Which are expressly mentioned in the post....so I'm going with a strong NO.
Reply Quote
This question can be answered because of what we know about Blizzards security tream, warden, and general Blizzard bad and good ethos we have lived with for long.

Loot altert is fine; a dps meter is fine; anything that does NOT modify the process space for the diablo ie the memory footprint is fine.

readprocessmemory() is not a destructive call; it will not change diablo hence it's not going to trip warden. Blizzard would need to signature loot alert and ban for it.

They won't; they know we are missing tools like meters and alerts.. The api is coming.
If you really want to run with loot alert and it does nothing else but make notise when something drops i would bet my account on it being just fine.
Reply Quote
There are several threads that ask this very question, it escapes me as to why Blizzard will not simply come into ONE of these threads and answer the question to settle the debate.
Reply Quote
i already asked one of the blues and they said it wasn't. but you wouldn't be banned unless it was detected by warden.
Reply Quote
I wish it was ok to use....I just cannot take that chance to loss my character...So I will continue to move slower on my runs. Oh well
Reply Quote
The program reads memory to alert you an item of a certain quality (ilvl) has dropped.

The fact the program reads memory and supplies you an output opens Pandora's box.

To think Blizzard would allow this over any other addon is foolish.
Reply Quote
Blue already said they allow lootalert. They even say good luck on finding godlys.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Ketchup2
Blue already said they allow lootalert. They even say good luck on finding godlys.

"Its-a Trap!"
Reply Quote
Can we please get a post here? I would really like to know this as well.
Reply Quote
Well in WoW they allowed some addons, I know that.

I would love to know if something like a damage meter would be allowed if someone created it.
Reply Quote
Well my above post being said, WoW literally had an "addon" option. This doesn't as far as I know, so I am guessing no at the moment?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]