Diablo® III

Strafe: The paragon speed build

Also running legacy Nats with strafe on mp1, using shadow power gloom and vault tactical advantage, very fast build and fun! DPS currently about 290 k, and pick up radius is 14 I think
Edited by HeMan#6119 on 12/18/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I went with a strafe build to test it out. Currently not using TA for passive but Arch. Will be using TA later today when I test it out more.

I lost a lot of DPS with a non-nat cloak (dropped from 245k to like 158k) to get more hatred regen (and of course the manti I'm using doesn't help but found it ... so what the heck) Only a few pieces of gear were changed out for a cost of about 8m. I may put my nat cloak back on to get the +130 dex bonus back and see without the hatred regen how it works out. But so far seems to be just fine.

no issues with MP0/1. running 13yrd pickup and in places like the KEEPS I can vitually perma-strafe through the narrow areas because of globe proximity.
Reply Quote
We tried the strafe build multiple times. I even ran with some to compare. imo ball lighting is still faster and cleaner but it takes more work. i did notice that calamity or bow is not good for this build. hatred runs out way to fast. xbows works much better and kills better.
Reply Quote
using strafe I like the drifting shadow. I don't have to slow down at all using it.

BL is better with large mobs because of the AOE but it is slow. Unless you vault into melee with the mobs the travel time is very slow with BL and takes awhile.

I had to get 4 pieces for my build to work well:

1> Cloak with Hatred Regen
2> Helm without ASI on it (have both mempo and andy's)
3> DML Quiver with only 10% ASI on it (usually run 20% ASI DML)
4> Replace Nat Ring with a NON-ASI ring (just got a cheap damage/cc/cd ring for 500k).

I haven't replaced my trifecta gloves yet with some non-asi ones but trying to not take my dps down too much. As it currently is the Strafe lasts a long time with BAT companion and a lot of reduced attack speed from gear switches.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the vid. Despite not having the 4 piece, I think I can keep up with your disc usage based on previous runs, or at least keep it close. I did notice that you ran through mobs without making sure the majority were dead. I think I spend a little more time finishing them off than you do, which has to bring my efficiency down.

Have you tried the same build/runs with the strafe rocket rune? At the speed at which you're running through everything, I would assume demo is required, othrwise you'd be spending too much time strafing getting enough shots off vs strafing for a quick burst just to toss some grenades and vault on through.

An reason you did arreat 2 last instead of after tower 1?
Reply Quote
So I tried using this build last night and after a few failed attempts i finally got the hang of it. I'm just a little confused of what wep i should be using. i have a manti, calamity, and windforce in my bank that i can use. What one would be more sutiable?

Edit: I have my calamity equipped and you can see my manti on my scoundrel. Don't have stats of my WF on hand
Edited by SIlph#1833 on 12/19/2012 5:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
I use a slightly varied build, but I agree. Perma-strafe builds are the way to go with MP0-1 farming. I actually have a +8% Crit to Strafe chest, so I use the Stinging Steel rune, which ensures that I will 1 shot practically everything and make very short work of elites.

I think if I pop on my Calamity, my Crit Chance for Strafe close to 70% haha!

I do prefer to do this with my big damage 2Her though. it means less running back through mobs. I do Alkalizer-like runs in under 10 minutes.
Reply Quote

The big difference is that you don't have the legacy Natalya set. For the gear you're wearing, 60 mill exp/hour is actually not bad. Anyways, this is what 100 mill exp/hour looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5QtFFFOHeo

-----

I can break my 4p bonus next time I play and see what type of exp/hour I'd be getting without the 4p, I'm pretty sure that it'd drop down a lot.

Interesting build. I can achieve close to your 100m/hr mark (when not playing lazy) and our builds are quite different. Our dps is close on paper, but i have 15% CC with Strafe and 29% DPS vs. Elites, whereas you vault like a madman with Leg Nats. Using the 100% MS rune with Strafe is the way to go once you have the dps to support it, imo (have done a lot of runs with all the runes).

I see you vaulting a lot prior to using the 2 seconds of RS increase, which is because of ToC, but i still question the overall efficiency. Seems to work well for you though.

I use Shuriken Cloud and you use RoV, both seem to have their upsides. I think i will test with RoV to see if it will increase my speed. In theory SC does more damage over the 30 second span because it is up for the full 30 and RoV is only up for 12. BUT that is assuming you are close to mobs for the whole 30 seconds... Ideally we could use both but that would mean dropping Gloom, which doesn't seem feasible without LS on our weapon.
Reply Quote
Just for shiits n giggles Im seeing which is faster, strafe on mp1 or BL on mp2. Ive only done a couple runs and the numbers arent showing any major benefit of either one, but I have a lot more logging to do. But for now, it does seem that BL on mp2 gives slightly more exp/min than strafing on mp1.

I should snag a good WF and try this stuff out on mp0 and see what its like.
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 12:22 PMPosted by blkdrgn
We tried the strafe build multiple times. I even ran with some to compare. imo ball lighting is still faster and cleaner but it takes more work. i did notice that calamity or bow is not good for this build. hatred runs out way to fast. xbows works much better and kills better.

QFT, right BL build is just superior if played right. Nothing beats the raw dps/speed of ball lightning + fan of knives combo.
Reply Quote
Think tonight I will give the steel rune a try. I love drifting but the steel is appealing with the extra damage.
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 11:10 AMPosted by BubbaGump
Think tonight I will give the steel rune a try. I love drifting but the steel is appealing with the extra damage.

If youre attacks are 1-shotting things, then rocket storm would be better since its more shots coming out per attack. If youre attacks take 2-4 hits, then yes, stinging steel would be better.
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 11:10 AMPosted by BubbaGump

Stinging Steel doesn't have as long of range. One of the great appeals of this build is Strafing through a pack and having the auto target pick off the stragglers that are almost off the screen as you are moving on.
Reply Quote
For my para 14 (now 17 :D) Demon Huntress I decided to commit some resources for this build as it was fun enough and compelling enough as far as clear speed and XP per hour. This build really highlights the resource spend/regen capabilities like the Tempest Rush Monk build and the Sprint / Whirlwind build for Barbs (I run both).

For my gear I swapped some pieces last night and this morning:

Mara's Kaleidoscope with 10% CC and 5% Strafe Bonus - 12.3 M Buyout (only one on AH even available with these stats, your experience will probably vary)
Stone of Jordan with 6% Cold Damage 24% v Elites and 6% Strafe CC bonus - 3.2 M Bid (Smokin' bargain, I admit)
Gloves with 10% CC, decent core stats and pickup radius - 3.8 M Buyout
Acceptable Inna's Belt with pickup radius - 9.5 M Buyout
Acceptable Inna's Pants with pickup radius - 5.0 M Buyout

I already had the Natalya's cloak with 7% Strafe bonus, but similar ones can be had at less than 5M Buyout as of yesterday

I also put 500K into my Templar: Str/Vit/LoH/AR Amulet , AR Stormshiled, IAS dagger with Cold Damage, Strength and Vitality

I also bought a 1240 DPS black damage crossbow with 80% CD/ OS and 100+ vit but it's a 10% DPS downgrade from my Manticore :(

Here's a summary of where I stand now with this build. I use Demolition and I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't, due to the 50% proc rate compared to other runes of 20-25:

Armor 4,310.00
A/R 439.70
Dodge 44.0%
Health 35,878.00

Hatred 150
Buffed Hatred Regen 9.3
Discipline 49

Base CC 51
Base CD 334
Bonus CC - Strafe 18
Strafe CC 69

SoJ Cold Damage
Pickup Radius 24

Base Bonus XP (MP 0) 69
Full NV Bonus XP 174

DPS Base v. Elites (24% Bonus)
96,650 119,846

Strafe Damage Base Elites Proc Coefficient (D3Up)
No Rune at all 184,305 228,538 25.0%
Demolition 220,930 273,953 50.0%
Emberstrafe 184,305 228,538 5.0%
Rocket Storm 184,305 228,538 20.0%
Drifting Shadow 184,305 228,538 25.0%
Stinging Steel 222,788 276,257 25.0%

Sturiken 32,861 40,748 12.5%

Fan of Knives - Hail 245,469 304,382 20.0%

Bat Companion 29,149 36,145

Your thoughts? Any holes in the build? Pretty smooth runs so far once you figure out the mechanics of it all. I rarely run out of hatred or discipline, only if I vault too much between packs or strafe without targets around.
Edited by Frigg#1154 on 12/19/2012 12:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Frigg
I use Demolition and I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't, due to the 50% proc rate compared to other runes of 20-25:

While Demo makes faster runs, Rocket storm is much more relaxed, and overall easier to play. Preferred choice when not paying attention while farming.
Reply Quote
Hey guys! Sorry for the hiatus, exams were taking over my life. Great to see so many people are enjoying my strafe build, and that there are so many different viable play styles.

Since my OP I have been doing a lot of testing for different DH builds and tweaking my play styles and gear to max my xp/hr, here are my results & conclusions for each build.

Demo-strafe
  • Highest xp/hr strafe rune. I now average 85-90m xp/hr
  • Highest nightstalker proc rate
  • Hardest to get used to

• Rocket/Steel-strafe
  • Mindless, consistent, predictable
  • Lower xp/hr (75m avg) but increased sanity levels
  • Requires much higher dps to be as efficient as demo

• Gearing
  • I now have 33 pickup radius and man is life easy now, health globes literally fly across the map to me, its pretty funny. I sunk over 2b into different gear sets including a nice Lnats set, it was worth every penny. It's not cheap but it will only gain value as the game goes on as long as blizz doesn't nerf it.
  • My main suggestion to people who are trying this build out for LOW MPs and are on budget restrictions, do yourselves a favor and get a 1os manticore with LOK. Sure it may not help you much on elites but I have found that while vaulting through mobs that I one shot it helps me stay alive w/o worrying about casting shadow power. Another perk is its much cheaper than LOH or LS

• My 2 $
  • I have been trying out some different ball lightning builds as well, and sadly to say they do yield me higher xp/hr overall than strafe. The only reason for this is that I can wear a leorics instead of my Lnats ring. If I was playing both builds at my most efficient I would end up with 90m.hr for demo-strafe, and around 100m.hr for ball lightning. But in the end it all comes down to sanity, and between exams and messing around with BL builds I think I have lost all of mine
  • I plan on making a video showcasing each of the builds but haven't really had time, it will happen before I hit 100 though (98 currently). Thanks again guys for the great feedback, pleasantly surprised to return back to such a thread [li]
  • Edited by Lazer#1679 on 12/22/2012 8:31 AM PST
    Reply Quote

The big difference is that you don't have the legacy Natalya set. For the gear you're wearing, 60 mill exp/hour is actually not bad. Anyways, this is what 100 mill exp/hour looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5QtFFFOHeo

-----

I can break my 4p bonus next time I play and see what type of exp/hour I'd be getting without the 4p, I'm pretty sure that it'd drop down a lot.

Interesting build. I can achieve close to your 100m/hr mark (when not playing lazy) and our builds are quite different. Our dps is close on paper, but i have 15% CC with Strafe and 29% DPS vs. Elites, whereas you vault like a madman with Leg Nats. Using the 100% MS rune with Strafe is the way to go once you have the dps to support it, imo (have done a lot of runs with all the runes).

I see you vaulting a lot prior to using the 2 seconds of RS increase, which is because of ToC, but i still question the overall efficiency. Seems to work well for you though.

I use Shuriken Cloud and you use RoV, both seem to have their upsides. I think i will test with RoV to see if it will increase my speed. In theory SC does more damage over the 30 second span because it is up for the full 30 and RoV is only up for 12. BUT that is assuming you are close to mobs for the whole 30 seconds... Ideally we could use both but that would mean dropping Gloom, which doesn't seem feasible without LS on our weapon.

I did some re-runs still using my legacy set, but with drifting shadows, and I think I can actually hit 100 mill exp/hour on it as well once I get used to playing it. It feels like the proc coefficient on it is higher then it used to be, since it seems like I can do a lot more ToC when using it.

As for RoV and Suriken CLoud i've found my run times to be nearly the same with both of them. I actually used RoV mostly because Shuriken is really annoying if you misclick on a mob or destructible (since it casts when the mob/object isn't even near you). I've actually tried runs with both as well, along with various other abilities in the slot instead of shadow power since I'm able to stay alive wearing just Blackthrone pants for healing (450 LoH). At the end I felt that having shadow power was just more reliable.

I'm using different routes now, trying to see if i can get higher exp/hour rates.
    Reply Quote

I'm using different routes now, trying to see if i can get higher exp/hour rates.

maybe try this route out?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IexN0noGWcg

arreat crater 2 -> keep depths 2 -> rakkis crossing

maybe including arreat 1 or skycrown in there would be good too
    Reply Quote

maybe try this route out?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IexN0noGWcg

arreat crater 2 -> keep depths 2 -> rakkis crossing

maybe including arreat 1 or skycrown in there would be good too

Hmm, that's kind of interesting. I've been using bridge (left half) -> rakkis -> keep 2 -> arreat 2. So similar to the monk guy, but in a different order.

My run still usually takes over 5 minutes though, but nets higher exp. I think i should actually try doing the run faster even if more mobs are skipped and see if that turns out to be a faster rate.
    Reply Quote
    Calamity works fine for me - I don't run out of hatred or discipline on MP1 (I use Punishment). I have stacked Pickup, hatred regen and disc.

I also use MFD/Mortal Enemy for the hatred regen.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]