Diablo® III

Wizard Guide for PvP [a prelude]

Hi my fellow wizards,

the responses to my earlier thread on 'CM Wiz to own PvP' (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199964189) got me thinking good and i agree with the majority of you guys that CM/WW wizards is perhaps the worst build in a PvP game.

Therefore, i would like to kick-start a new thread suggesting viable builds in the upcoming (hopefully in the near future) PvP mode.

A few of you pointed out that kiting may be the next big thing for PvP. i agree. Now assuming its a PvP arena mode, this is my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQliSO!UZd!cYYbZY

1) Magic Missile - Seeker: i think this is the best kiting skill. Combo with Temporal Flux. Its equivalent to a homing missile firing at our enemies and slowing them down at the same time. They have nowhere to run nor hide.
2) Teleport - Fracture: Combo with illusionist. An escape spell that creates more diversion to ensure greater survivability
3) Blizzard - Stark Winter: an AOE spell that is used to slow enemies down while covering a greater area.
4) Hydra - Venom Hydra: i think Venom Hydra will be back in action again. It's poison damage over time rocks.
5) Magic Weapon - Force Weapon: Used as a dps booster. The knockback is a bonus.
6) Energy Armor - Force armor: Used for survivability purposes. Works in tandem with illusionist and Fracture.

IMO, this build is to ensure greater survivability in a battle. I'm sure there are other more offensive builds out there but im pre-empting a likely scenario where the wizard will always be the first target whenever a PvP battle starts.

What do you guys think?

And do share your viable builds too!

Have a great day! :)

Edit
Update:

The list of suggested Must-haves:
1) Magic Missile - Seeker
2) Storm Armor - Thunderstorm
3) Slow Time - Miasma?
Edited by Tyler#6206 on 12/4/2012 4:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
we don't even know how will PvP be....
too much of it depends on how much damage will be mitigated by the system itself.

still... if we consider it will behave like it does today.
I agree magic missile seeker will be awesome, but that's pretty much all I agree on your list.

fracture on teleport will be useless... I doubt human players won't be able to know that the image walking at front is the real one....
you're surely better of with any other rune... I'd say Calamity and Wormhole are the best ones by far.

Blizzard could be nice, but I would not try it in the first try.

Venom Hydra does good damage if the other player stay still... the player knows that... go figure.

magic weapon is ok, DPS boost.

Energy Armor? nah.... I'll use Storm Armor and run for my life while it hits a couple of times for free... lol
Reply Quote
I maybe wrong, but if in PVP i'd rather go for spells that hit instantly... Something like forked lightning would be better... I feel hydras attack too slow and their attacks could be easily avoided as well...

I think probably archon with forked lightning + teleport would be nice...

My pick will be:

1) forked lightning - instantly hits targets and has good range.
2) archon destruction - hoping for an instant KO with 1600% damage
3) teleport safe passage - for that extra 30% damage reduction when faced with OH shyt situations
4) Prismatic armor force armor - hopefully dont get 1 hit.
5) magic weapon force weapon - extra dps
6) diamond skin crystal shell - extra defense

passives will be
1) unstable abnormally - saves you from instant death (heh like an extra life)
2) illusionist - to reset teleport
3) temporal flux - to slow enemies a little when in archon mode.
Reply Quote
Does unstable anomaly actually work in that fashion? I was under the impression if you went from 31% life to 0% life you died anyway.

I hope it actually works as you say. Otherwise pvp will be nothing but teleport - arcane destruction fest. Most of the archons right now can't hit anything below 500k with it, and their lowest crit is in the 2.5m range. There are what, five people in the entire game right now that have 2.5m EHP pre-block/dodge.
Reply Quote
If nothing changes, skills that guarantee you a hit will shine in PvP.

Seeker missile
lightning hydra
thunderstorm
force weapon
sparkflint or ancient guardian
teleport calamity

Illusionist (GFG must have!!!)
glass cannon
random passive

So you will have 3 skills that do perpetual dmg while you run around teleporting as soon as you get hit.
Reply Quote
Update:

IMO, the 2 Must-haves:
1) Magic missile - seeker
2) Storm armor - Shocking Aspect: run around while lightning does a guarantee hit at enemies
Reply Quote
Update:

IMO, the 2 Must-haves:
2) Storm armor - Shocking Aspect: run around while lightning does a guarantee hit at enemies

hehe now this is getting serious.

I think Thunderstorm will be better than shocking aspect in PvP....

Also, Slow Time.... slow time will be beast.
Reply Quote
Update:

IMO, the 2 Must-haves:

hehe now this is getting serious.

I think Thunderstorm will be better than shocking aspect in PvP....

Also, Slow Time.... slow time will be beast.

Yes, i think Thunderstorm will be better.

Which rune for Slow time? Miasma?
Reply Quote
Does unstable anomaly actually work in that fashion? I was under the impression if you went from 31% life to 0% life you died anyway.

I hope it actually works as you say. Otherwise pvp will be nothing but teleport - arcane destruction fest. Most of the archons right now can't hit anything below 500k with it, and their lowest crit is in the 2.5m range. There are what, five people in the entire game right now that have 2.5m EHP pre-block/dodge.

No idea how it works really, but it has saved my butt a few times during uber fights in PTR. Havent been using it yet though.
Reply Quote
either one of the defensive Slow Time Runes can be beast...
I'd start with Time Shell...
if it's not as effective as one would think, next would be Perpetuity.
Reply Quote
Yeah it doesn't work. If they don't actually make some adjustments for DPS in PvP I'm going to be really pissed. Arcane destruction is automatic one shot. Which pretty much means it'll be 300k dps wizards using it and a bunch of spells to proc CM and 3000 dex monks using duel wield Guardians Path + Near Death + Sixth Sense.

Dodge is going to destroy PvP. Add that with a once per 60 second immunity for the one arcane destruction that may get through....

There's just no way to defend against teleport - Calamity + instant arcane destruction other than Near Death or Dodge... Familiar would work, but it was nerfed. If it was still ignore any hit over 35% of your life once every 6 seconds that would work perfectly. As it stands now it sucks cause it'll get used up by small hits first (like a calamity teleport to get close enough for AD anyway)
Reply Quote
Yeah it doesn't work. If they don't actually make some adjustments for DPS in PvP I'm going to be really pissed. Arcane destruction is automatic one shot. Which pretty much means it'll be 300k dps wizards using it and a bunch of spells to proc CM and 3000 dex monks using duel wield Guardians Path + Near Death + Sixth Sense.

Dodge is going to destroy PvP. Add that with a once per 60 second immunity for the one arcane destruction that may get through....

There's just no way to defend against teleport - Calamity + instant arcane destruction other than Near Death or Dodge... Familiar would work, but it was nerfed. If it was still ignore any hit over 35% of your life once every 6 seconds that would work perfectly. As it stands now it sucks cause it'll get used up by small hits first (like a calamity teleport to get close enough for AD anyway)

Calamity knockback puts enemies outside of Arcane Destruction range....
I tried it... lol.

When 1.04 came out, this was my first idea....
1-Find elite pack
2-Teleport inside
3-Arcane Destruction
4-Collect Loot
5-Use archon until it's over on trashmobs... lol

Works better with other teleport runes.
Reply Quote
archon
archon
archon
archon
archon
did i mention archon? who wouldn't wanna be cyclops in pvp? this skill alone has revived diablo for me, lol. i literally just cashed out my gold (over 1.5b) and decided to reinvest a bit.
Edited by lameboi#1117 on 12/4/2012 7:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
1.5B in gold? That's impressive.
Reply Quote
I doubt slowtime will be the snare everyone is looking for. Just think about uber fight with Zolkun. Jump out of it, teleporte out of it, Vault of it, Spirit walk out of it, that leave monk. But the monk I know have like 550k EHP with !@#$ty gear lol.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Kelmort
I doubt slowtime will be the snare everyone is looking for. Just think about uber fight with Zolkun. Jump out of it, teleporte out of it, Vault of it, Spirit walk out of it, that leave monk. But the monk I know have like 550k EHP with !@#$ty gear lol.

true story.
Reply Quote

Calamity knockback puts enemies outside of Arcane Destruction range....
I tried it... lol.

When 1.04 came out, this was my first idea....
1-Find elite pack
2-Teleport inside
3-Arcane Destruction
4-Collect Loot
5-Use archon until it's over on trashmobs... lol

Works better with other teleport runes.

Sounds like a suicide mission once dodged/failed lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]