Diablo® III

"Players' preference of DPS over everything"

Quote:

Why was elemental damage cut? Burning fire, heal stopping poison, stunning lightning, healing holy... they all would have been great additions to game play.

Primarily due to players' preference of DPS over everything. As we played the game we found everyone just moved to the damage type that did the most damage. If we equalized damage they ignored ones that didn't have CC options. Case in point, we kept the slow on cold and gave it a lower damage budget and it's the least used damage type now.

Your thoughts?
Reply Quote
high dps + life steal = deal elites/ubers/bosses/mobs.
Reply Quote
It's very true, though the lack of interesting CC effects doesn't help either.
Reply Quote
That statement is the very reason why Reflect Damage is such a big deal right now.

I don't have any issues with it on any of my characters with their current spec, exept my wiz but im using an horrible spec with her so it's my fault.
Reply Quote
Blizzard lacked imagination and integrity, instead of fixing the issue (something that required work), they just normalized all damage output because it was the simplest solution.

Jay Wilson and Team dumbed down tons of stuff in this game, removed 2 gems types, no shield specific gem use. Main stat = Damage. Skill Damage = Weapon only. IAS is for everything and the removal of cast speed.

Elemental do nothing other than Cold and is just +to your overall base damage.
Attributes are very simple compared to other games = Torchlight ie STR = Damage and Crit, Dex = Fumble and Crit Chance, Vit = Armor and Health, Intel = Double cast chance and Mana.

It's as if they were told to make the sequel to one of the most popular loot based rpgs ever and they did'nt want to deal with all the variables with customization and cut it down to the least common denominator.

Pretty much this. It's difficult to come up with a competent itemization system but D3's lacked imagination with pure damage being the biggest priority.
Reply Quote
I think they've always overvalued utility. Cold damage on weapons is a great example. They roll like what? Half of the DPS of black weapons? And all you get is a split second slow in inferno. Make it 95% of black weapons and some (not all) people would use it over the 5% DPS gain. I sure would. A 20% loss or especially 50% just makes it worthless.

Also, as you start to outgear content, stuff like CC (and to a lesser extent, survivability) becomes less important than DPS. At current gear levels, people can often mow down an entire group of trash mobs in less than 2 seconds, and elites in a few seconds. What use is CCing something that won't even live long enough to approach your character? You're better off killing slightly faster.
Reply Quote
I agree with his statment but I want an elemental damage system so bad. Through all the d2 grinding I did; some of the most memorable game play momements were where damage types were emphasized. It had the best feel to it.

Using Ice Blink and freezing the crap out of monsters left and right or equiping a 6 socket weapon and adding 6 perfect emeralds and watching monsters turn greeen and melt from poison damage.

Ruby = Fire
Topaz = Lightning
Emerald = Poison
Diamond = Holy
Amethysts = Arcane
Sapphire = Cold
Skull = Physical

How cool would it be if all these gem types existed and we could socket rune abilities with gem types to change the damage type.
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 12/5/2012 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
They could set it up to matter. First, to support element type you need to remove black weapons...

Fire can give AOE in that attacks with no AOE get a small one and attacks with aoe get theirs increased. The chance to hit multiple units would counter the lower dps.

Ice can be made to slow and also have a chance to freeze. Slow needs to last at least a full sec in inferno though. This would make kiting great.

Holy needs to provide bonus damage to demons and undead and prevent resurrection. Maybe it could also heal you per attack.

Lightening needs to do the most damage, but be vary random with a chance to stun.
Reply Quote
Just wait for PVP, all DPSs chars will fall like rain.
Reply Quote
So if players seek the higest damage output, remove every special effect and bonus stuff from all the elemental damages? Seriously, is this still Blizzard?

How is it possible that NOBODY but nobody came up with an idea at Blizzard about something like : okay we remove all the bonus damage and CCs, so must make new effects than. And that's it.

Now (well, imagine the situation) it's up to them to make something new, something innovative. And why I want them to? Because they are (were?) Blizzard damn it, we expected great quality, small but revolutionary differences which together make Diablo III something amazing. But they just made a machine which converts goldfarming bots to money for them.
Reply Quote
I think the high damage output "choice" is going to burn them in PvP.

How is someone with 30k DPS meant to compete with someone with 100k DPS? Even though they are exact same level and paragon level?

They simply just haven't found or couldn't afford a weapon with super high DPS and good Crit damage stats (or socket).
Reply Quote
We need new item slots that provide bonuses that aren't crit, crit damage, resistances, or attack speed.
Reply Quote
Its one thing to come up with a good idea, recognize the flaws in it and be able to shut it down.

But it's another to come up with a good idea, differentiate the flaws from what's good in it and be able to fix the flaws to make it a great idea.

I think this is a good example of the first of the above.
Reply Quote
Blizzard lacked imagination and integrity, instead of fixing the issue (something that required work), they just normalized all damage output because it was the simplest solution.

Jay Wilson and Team dumbed down tons of stuff in this game, removed 2 gems types, no shield specific gem use. Main stat = Damage. Skill Damage = Weapon only. IAS is for attack speed and cast speed and the removed the Cast Speed Affix.

Elemental do nothing other than Cold and is just +to your overall base damage.
Attributes are very simple compared to other games = Torchlight ie STR = Damage and Crit, Dex = Fumble and Crit Chance, Vit = Armor and Health, Intel = Double cast chance and Mana.

Plus tons of other things, like making whites/greys/blues usefull... no enchanting, blacksmit's are useless, boring itemezation and more than 80% of the legendary items useless... Removed Jewels, Charms, and Ethereal items. And they couldn't even include PvP day 1.

It's as if they were told to make the sequel to one of the most popular loot based rpgs ever and they did'nt want to deal with all the variables with customization and cut it down to the least common denominator so they could spare themselves the headache of making a deeper game.

Bottom line is, they were really LAZY when making this game.

I agree. The game is rather paper-thin.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 11:21 AMPosted by MonkeyDluffy
Just wait for PVP, all DPSs chars will fall like rain.

...except for WW barbs, who will be constantly CC-immune, un-kitably fast, tanky as hell, and high-DPS, all without bothering to gear for anything besides max sheet DPS and passable mitigation. Because this game is balanced.
Reply Quote
I would suggest for Blizzard to, at the very least, create different elemental effects and make those, and the dps difference between those effects, minute. That way, dps is not compromised to a significant degree, and players have reasons to strive for different damage types.
Reply Quote

Primarily due to players' preference of DPS over everything. As we played the game we found everyone just moved to the damage type that did the most damage. If we equalized damage they ignored ones that didn't have CC options. Case in point, we kept the slow on cold and gave it a lower damage budget and it's the least used damage type now.

Your thoughts?

The problem is not equlized damage but the secondary elemental damage effects which were completely neglected. They could've also made various monsters resistant or vulnerable to various elemental damage types which would add much more variety. Instead they dumbed it down like most things. The statement above is just a pretty poor excuse for an even poorer decision.
Reply Quote

Your thoughts?

The problem is not equlized damage but the secondary elemental damage effects which were completely neglected. They could've also made various monsters resistant or vulnerable to various elemental damage types which would add much more variety. Instead they dumbed it down like most things. The statement above is just a pretty poor excuse for an even poorer decision.

Well said man!

I really miss monster resistances from d2. That alone would promote co-op for inferno mode. It would have to come along with a bad @$$ elemental damage system of course. They cant do one without the other. It needs to come as a complete package!
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 12/4/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]