Diablo® III

Looking for advice to be 150k dps tank monk

Hi fellow monks,

Would appreciate any pointers to get to 150k unbuffed dps without losing significant damage mitigation and sustain. My feeling is that the easiest/cheapest way is to get a trifecta ammy with 50+ crit dmg. I also thought about changing my offhand to LS and critdmg+socket, but the dex and vit on it is so high. So even with extra crit damage, the damage is not really much more and I lose tonnes of hp/dodge/armour via STI.

Would appreciate any advice from seasoned monks. I aim to be able to solo MP10 ubers one day. Budget is 100mil at the moment, maybe up to 200mil once some stuff sells on AH, fingers crossed.

I am very happy for people who have upgrades for me to leave stats and a price too! So I guess it's also a WTB thread lol.
Reply Quote
I cringe every time I see blackthorns on monks.

Inna's pants - gives you 9k dps, 8ias, 90+ dex.

Get rid of both weapons or at least your offhand in substitue for a 2.8+ ls weapon, it will leech more more hp then the 1000 loh you have now.

Replace the EF /w a socket one when available. That +25 percent CD will give you 4-6k extra dps.

Ammy - replace it with a CD/CC one.. even a 8.5 cc/60CD will give you 2-5k dps upgrade. Ammy's are able to get max 10/100 CD/CC rolls, don't waste it on IAS.

Expensive route- upgrade all your gems to radiant star and it should give you 2-3k dps. It'll cost you 100m though lol.
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 11/20/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ scrapz

I replied and then saw yours. Spot on.
Edited by InsuranceGuy#1986 on 11/20/2012 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks guys!

Good tips. I have been looking for a socket EF, but they are like 200mil more for the 25% crit dmg. There are some cheaper ones, but the dmg is more like 1100 or lower, so even with socket, it's about the same. Will definitely keep an eye out though.

I considered the inna's pants. It's only like 5-10mil, so might try it. I was kinda worried about losing the 8k hp and loh though. Might start having to kite which will essentially drop the effective dps. Anyone compared the two before?

I definitely want a LS weapon. Just so hard to find one with decent dex and vit. The prices on AH are all over the place. What should I be paying for a 1050+ dps, 100+ dex, socket, 2.8+ LS weapon? Or should I get one with lower base dmg but a crit roll as well?

The ammys are interesting. My dynamic equivalences are such that 2% IAS = 1% crit = 10% crit dmg (taking into account crits and IAS make more cyclones). So if I get a trifecta with 6% IAS, its like a crit chance/crit dmg one with 30% more crit dmg. And comparing the prices, they seem to be about the same. The benefit of the IAS is that I can sustain spamming mantra better which essentially is more dps too. Plus the mace is kinda slow, lol, but I paid 4 mil for it so...

In terms of gems, ya probably ok to upgrade to the 54s, 58s don't seem economical. Lol

Maybe I could get a crit chance/dmg ammy with huge vit roll. And then change to innas pants, that way I can keep 45k+ hp, and same att speed?

Hopefully you guys can share some experiences with the above issues. And welcoming any more pro monks to give tips.
Edited by BlackLotus#6188 on 11/20/2012 4:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Being a tank monk isn't like being a tank barb. Most of our damage comes from single target hits and sweeping winds. Sweeping winds does not proc LOH. therefore LS>LOH for a monk.
That's why to become a efficient tank monk, you also need the damage to back it up.

I paid 130m for my EF when I got it and I think I overpaid quite a bit so I'm sure you can get something for under 100m. It's going to have to last you until you can afford a EF /w crit and socket so may as well get the first you can afford.

The problem with your weapons are you stacked almost 200 vit on it. My mh is the same, too much vit on it so I'm looking to replace it atm. You're at around 740 resist so you could probably drop some resist for vit. You need a large health pool for those sudden giant bust. Best place to pick it up would be :

1. Inna's chest /w 150+ Vit. You would gain about 80hp but lose 50 resist
2. Inna's pants /w 150+ vit. You would gain 9k dps and 8-9 IAS.. fast hits= fast leech. hard hits = more leech
3. Ammy - You could gain a whole more dps in that slot while maintaining your hp/resist
Reply Quote
I had the issue with Vit on my weapons when I tried to break out of 25K DPS, I ended up having to find more Vit elsewhere, but in the end it was worth it. Adding Dex, Vit, CD, OS and LS is either impossible or too expensive. With LS and your DPS I think you could manage if you could make up some of your vit elsewhere and not even all of it, your +Vit is higher than a lot of other profiles I've looked at. at 48K hp with an experience Gem in you would get a lot of HP from adding a +Life % Gem in, obviously you're still grinding out paragon levels, but dropping to 40K HP + 15% life would yield 46K HP.

Just a thought instead of locking yourself into that vit weapon, also just my 2 cents because as you can tell I'm yet to break the 100K mark.
Reply Quote
Cool, I'll give these suggestions a try. Will need to research some prices.

Never thought of getting the inna's pants with vita. Will prob cost more than the CR ones, but I probably need the 8k hp more than the 55CR. Will basically trade Loh of blackthorns for IAS, drop 55CR, same hp total, bit less armour, 1% more crit.

Should be interesting. Is that 0.33 regen any good? Lol sounds pretty crap, but I never used 3 set innas lol.
Edited by BlackLotus#6188 on 11/20/2012 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks guys!

Good tips. I have been looking for a socket EF, but they are like 200mil more for the 25% crit dmg. There are some cheaper ones, but the dmg is more like 1100 or lower, so even with socket, it's about the same. Will definitely keep an eye out though.

I have one with ~1040 dps, OS, 280 dex and some int (AR :-P) that I would be willing to sell. Not sure if that would be much of an upgrade or not for you. If interested, I can try to make it home later to get the exact stats. I believe its +.24 APS, but not positive

And inna's pants are pretty much BiS in my opinion. I like the idea of the Vit on them too (more than what I have though). The IAS and extra CC are really nice. I cant comment on the three piece bonus since Ive never had it, but it doesnt seem worth it IMO
Edited by RoxPD1470#1509 on 11/20/2012 5:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
As others have mentioned, you'll need LS. Inna's pants are nice, but rare pants are better unless you are seeking the additional DPS they offer due to the AS. If you want to tank, Inna's pants are more a liability since you drop resists and vit for the most part.
Reply Quote
Cool, I'll give these suggestions a try. Will need to research some prices.

Never thought of getting the inna's pants with vita. Will prob cost more than the CR ones, but I probably need the 8k hp more than the 55CR. Will basically trade Loh of blackthorns for IAS, drop 55CR, same hp total, bit less armour, 1% more crit.

Should be interesting. Is that 0.33 regen any good? Lol sounds pretty crap, but I never used 3 set innas lol.

.33 regen sucks. again your LS scales with your damage. these pants = damage/ias= win.

you might want to get some pickup radius also, facetank bawsssss
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 11/20/2012 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 05:28 PMPosted by jco310
As others have mentioned, you'll need LS. Inna's pants are nice, but rare pants are better unless you are seeking the additional DPS they offer due to the AS. If you want to tank, Inna's pants are more a liability since you drop resists and vit for the most part.

false. It's only a liability if you get !@#$ty ones. Even wizards use inna's pants, why? They are CC/IAS dependent. They need the fast cast to proc faster loh. Same with monk, 9IAS = faster leech from proccing sweeping winds. Sweeping winds works based off of attack speed

also to find a nice double resist /w high dex and vit would require a ton of time scouting the ah.. innas are available indefinitely

this is strictly for pve. you're geared for pvp jco and you still have one of the best characters
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 11/20/2012 5:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
innas are not a liability and worth every penny.

9% ias, 1cc, 12% mvmt.

You can't replace them with rare pants unless you drop a few hundred mil on a dex resist 5+cc lacunis. End of story.
Edited by Bacon#1205 on 11/20/2012 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
To each their own, if you like Inna's, get them. I don't think they are worth losing resists, etc...but I don't focus on gearing for monsters anymore.

EDIT: Scrapz, what the hell happened to your MH, not listed in your profile.
Edited by jco310#1218 on 11/20/2012 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Interesting points jco. I've always liked your monk btw. Its pretty cool dps for a super tanky monk. That MH makes it though. I have never seen a weapon like that. Pretty much the whole build is made possible by that 1 weapon. Also love the 100k hp. Awesome!

I think I'll check the price on some high vit innas. I have 825 resists, so can prob afford to drop to just below 800. I just fear the loh loss may kill me lol, at least until I get a LS weapon. I farm on MP6 and have had probs with reflect until I rolled my current hellfire. The 300 Loh has allowed me to facetank them with SW up now. So losing 460 loh from swapping pants may hurt, especially if also dropping 55 CR.

I think first thing is to upgrade ammy. Then checkout pants depending on what ammy I can get. Then switch to LS. Should keep me occupied for 2-3 weeks easy lol. Any tips on which is better?
A) IAS / 7+ crit / 50+ crit dmg ammy
B) no IAS / 8+ crit / 75+ crit ammy

They seem to be similar price. Will depend on dex, vit, resist, armour rolls etc obviously. But assuming those other rolls are comparable, whats the best option?

@ Rox: Thanks but I don't think it's worth me getting an EF without Loh or LS atm. I'm already going to lose too much sustain with the pants deal. Lol
Edited by BlackLotus#6188 on 11/20/2012 6:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
BL I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. Trying to increase my DPS from 120K and beyond. Back then the prices for any LS weapon were just plain unaffordable. The price of a top tier LS weapon would have cost me all my gear.

In today's declining market what everybody has said is accurate, you can get a solid LS socket OH. At a glace your gloves and ammy can use upgrading. They are not bad by any means but you will need CD on them to reach your mark and beyond.

I do recommend having both LS and LOH as you will not have LS on both weapons and at higher MPs to handle the roughest affixes the more leech the merrier.

I use my Innas for MP0-7 and switch out to blackthornes pants for the higher MPs since I went with a Cross the added LOH and 200 Vit from pants and set bonus go a loooong way in survivability.

In essence build what you are comfortable with and first and most importantly have fun playing gearing up.
Reply Quote
I use the gear I have for MP9+ including ubers. I swap out to a lifesteal offhand for reflect/siegebreaker.

No resist issues sitting at 554.
As long as stuff doesn't 1 shot you, that's all that really matters with sustainability. (LS etc.)

PS. Trifecta amulets are pricy as heck, and sometimes a DPS loss vs. a high crit chance/CD + average damage and moderate dex amulet.

Trifecta does not always beat out everything.
Edited by Arcto#1960 on 11/21/2012 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks guys for all the advice, has been very useful. It's such a hard thing at this stage when you have to invest 100mil on a couple pieces and then sometimes find it wasn't good. And with the current market, you lose 30% when you resell 1 week later. : (

I will take all your advice into account when looking for the next upgrades. I actually bought a new ammy to try last night. Hasn't updated yet in profile but the stats are:

60 dex
70 vit
15% HP
400 loh
7% crit
67% crit dmg

It gives me very good gearing flexibility due to the loh and very high hp boost. Was 20mil, so i thought the price was ok, not sure what you guys think. Now I can swap out my OH for a ls, soc, dex one and not have to worry about the 180 vit loss. I have found the loss of IAS 9% from my old ammy has made me noticably slower and make 1-2 less cyclones. But the hits seem to be much harder and the extra loh makes you able to facetank pretty much anything in mp6-7.

Keep any more advice coming!
Reply Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am currently 116dps. I know i need to get more resist but looking at the Innas pcs u guys have with resistance, they cost upwards of 100m and i do not have that kind of gold. Any advise on my gears?
Edited by Pokpok#6727 on 11/23/2012 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
You can have a look at my profile (EU server), I currently sit at 157k unbuffed with a tank/dps profile.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ihatesnow-2591/hero/50902

Like many, I built my monk with:
- 2 x Inna (head/legs)
- 2 x Natalya (ring/feet)

Unlike many, I went for Blackthornes on chest and belt, with very decent dex, massive vita and res and good armor. I actually have 3 x Blackthornes atm, with a nicely rolled duncraig cross but this is not set in stone and I will eventually go back to a tri or quadrifecta.

For the weapons, I went for an EF with LS/sock and an offhand 1k+ with massive crit dmg/dex and a socket. I have been looking for a high dps offhand with dex/crit/LS/sock for ages which would have allowed me to take a crit dmg EF but I had to give up as these OH are so hard to find.

There are still a few slots to optimize (rings/boots/ammy/gloves) but overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I think with a few tweaks here and there I'll reach 200k without compromising sustainability:
157k unbuffed / 2.22 aps
50k life
590 @res (670 with OWE)
6k armor
3k dex
47% chc / 362% chd
700+ life/sec/600 loh/3% LS
Edited by IHateSnow#2591 on 11/23/2012 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
why the hate for blackthorns for monks? T_T

yes, Inna's pants is good DPS wise but for those wanting to go for the more tanky route, there are definitely better alternatives (like jco's rare pants) specially for those (like me ^_^) who are starting to shift away from OWE and STI usage, there are definitely other alternatives to it.

anyway, as jco put it, "to each his own" ^_^

(but seriously, as a monk who have gone from DW, both with EF and non EF weapons, and from skorn for 200k unbuff DPS, im loving my defensive monk the most right now, TR build on high mp for key hunting is fun specially when searching for the warden in A1 and A2 ^_^)

@jco

srsly man, ur monk is what im trying to aim for right now, im done with the pure DPS/ highest DPS is the best mantra, and your super well rounded monk is something to behold. i salute you good sir!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]