Diablo® III

Strafe Build - Possibilities

Grenades is the biggest damage dealer for strafe.... but you are right... the do miss especially if you are being chased. The solution is to not run away... run at them and stay on top of them.
Note - doing this means steady aim is useless.... but it does bring shuriken cloud into play (lose 20% damage gain 34%)

Also.... if you want max duration Hatred... consider a Rare xbow (with socket and CD of course) without any added attack speed. Go for the highest damage with the lowest attack speed. Manticore always has extra attack speed so you equivalent DPS will drain more Hatred.

Hmm, I'll try that. Seems the Strife build has a few degrees of freedom, which I like.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warrior
11/28/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Layuth
the fat priest dudes who put shields on other mobs

Since my first encounters with them I have always called them "Jay Wilsons". You must be talking about the Blood Clan Occulists.

YES! I hate those guys. I also hate the "guys who shoot anime tentacles from the ground" and "Beast guys who like to charge at me for all of my health" If only they had more memorable names XD

I'm starting to get the hang of the build I mentioned earlier, using the same core skills as Tazerai. In MP1/MP2 it's perma-strafe, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FlJJL_a23VM#t=120s

I was also doing some runs successfully in MP3, I just don't have videos for them. Here's a huge crazy elite battle with an illusionist fatso fire bombing party in MP2, although apparently the music that happened to come on is "annoying" (oh well :)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVY_qsmOsxU

I think someone else had posted a similar build and called it "the Juggler". In an elite battle you can dance around the edges, and your hatred vs. discipline kind of bounces back and forth, but you never run out of hatred.

Tazerai, you may need more critical hit chance; I don't see you having much gear with it. Mine's at about 50%, for reference (I can't remember if it's 50.5% or 51.5%). That will really increase the rate of discipline regen via Nightstalker, and by the time your hatred runs out during a big elite fight you should have enough discipline to restore it all via Preparation.

Also, with respect to the Natalya's Slayer: for science, I tried out another 1H xbow that has much higher DPS (950), built-in crit damage (62%) and socket, hatred regen, and +10 max discipline. The idea was to see how a build w/ 59 discipline (w/ Nat's) would fare vs. higher DPS, only 49 discipline, and slightly higher hatred regen. The Nat's build definitely won -- that extra 10 discipline means the world. I can only imagine what 70 would enable :)

The cold damage on Nat's Slayer will slow enemies, which helps keep them from wiggling around and dodging demolition grenades. It also means you don't need another skill or affix that gives you slow/chill/whatever. On the plus side, these are relatively cheap since nobody seems to want them, which also means it's a fairly low-risk investment. Just search for one with 800+ dps, 11% attack speed, high dex (195+), and either a socket or 100% built-in crit damage. (the one that I have equipped in my profile, in other words)

Thank you for the info. I think I will try the Nats slayer even though I am really going to miss having my Danetta's. I might even try calamity paired with it, since Danettas isn't as sexy without having both.

Another question! w/ Calamity, can I have Marked For Death on my bar with say....The mortal enemy glyph. When Calamity procs marked for death will that still apply even if I don't manually use the spell?

I really like marked for death and the runes it has, but I hate the move for the fact that it takes SO long just to mark something and totally ruins the build. I never really knew how calamity works, so a quick explanation would mean the world to me!

Thanks so much!
Reply Quote
Here's the build I've been having a blast with:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#USdVhg!Zbe!ZbbbZY

Grenades are so much fun ;-) and Slinging Steel with >50% crit is just awesome.
Reply Quote
I'm using this build right now, it's SO good on MP0/1:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#eSglhT!ehb!cYcaZb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think rocket storm is better than stinging steel because:
- Stinging steel and rocket storm do pretty similar "overall damage"
- rocket storm hits more frequently for the SAME hatred

That basically means that with stinging steel, because it does higher damage per shot, but shoots slower, you have a higher chance of "overkilling" a mob, and also wasting shots.

The less shots you waste, the less hatred you'll use, so rocket storm is actually more hatred-efficient
Reply Quote
@Mystical

I believe that Rocket Storm would be superior to Slinging Steel if one doesn't have high crit chance, but with 51% crit chance Slinging Steel is the better option for me.

I see that you use the Ballistics passive, very nice; however, Tactical Advantage and Archery are must haves for me, and Vengeance really helps me with Hatred management, which can be an issue with my high attack speed.

I'll give rocket a whorl though, build diversity for the win. :-)
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 12/1/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
without legacy nats, i'm running
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#jSdhlV!bXZ!bccZZc

mp0 - 1 friendly , i net around 40-45 m/hr
kinda slow , do you guys have any suggestions?

I use a ll/loh manticore so i dont need to use shadow power, and i vault everywhere so i use multishot to regain discipline
Reply Quote
Just used the Rocket Storm rune for the first time. Absolutely gorgeous looking skill.

Edit: LOL Mystical, you converted me. Rockets are awesome, even without the passive.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 12/1/2012 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Mystical
I see that you use the Ballistics passive, very nice; however, Tactical Advantage and Archery are must haves for me, and Vengeance really helps me with Hatred management, which can be an issue with my high attack speed.

I'll give rocket a whorl though, build diversity for the win. :-)

Yep, I dropped TA

but I picked up shadow power: shadow glide, I love using that skill so much, lol it feels like I have a passive +54% movespeed

If you have legacy nats, use ballistics + venge + archery
If not, NS + venge + archery

I think the DPS gain from not having legacy more than makes up for not having ballistics

EDIT:
Vault + TA vs. Shadow Power/Glide

Vault+TA:
- 2 skill slots
- 8 disc for +60% movespeed/2 seconds (4 disc/sec)
- I guess with tumble it's 12 disc, +60%/4sec (3 disc/sec)

Shadow Power/Glide
- 1 skill slot
- 14 disc for +30% movespeed/5 seconds (2.8 disc/sec)

I guess the tradeoff is pretty clear, but the extra skill slot is really nice to have. Although when you use vault+TA, it breaks strafe and you're typically not attacking, whereas shadow power/glide is convenient to use during strafe (it also counters the -25% movespeed penalty from strafe)
Edited by MysticaL#1298 on 12/1/2012 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
With Rocket Storm, I think my clear speed for MP1 Alk runs has improved a bit. I haven't done any tests yet, but it just feels like I'm vaporizing mobs and elites more efficiently.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I keep bouncing between Demolition and Rocket Storm but I think Rocket is a bit faster because it doesn't miss moving targets. To make up for lack of close-range aoe, I use Fan, ToC and Shuriken.
Reply Quote
I played with Strafe last night, and with 292k dps Stinging Steel hits hard, just absolutely melts everything. While I'm not 100% sure it's better than Multishot: Full Broadside combined with Bola Shot: Imminent Doom (M: FB = 689k dps, BS: ID = 626k dps). Stinging Steel is 524k dps for me, but that's without any skill bonuses.

Gonna try it some more with other skills and stuff. Was doing so much damage with FB/ID combo that I would 1 shot kill myself.

Seriously think this could be very viable with the right combinations.
Reply Quote
[quote]@Mystical

Shadow Power/Glide
- 1 skill slot
- 14 disc for +30% movespeed/5 seconds (2.8 disc/sec)

It just dawned on me. This, if you Shadow then strafe (if you're perma) you keep the LS until you stop vs vault which interrupts and re-checks LS status. Kinda the opposite of some problems people have with RF and other continuous channeling skills and Shadow Power not giving LS if activated during channeling. Sorta works both ways, but Glide for the speed puts it to better effect than vault.

If you don't need dps support skills like ToC (150k+) certainly something to consider. I'm rolling 110k dps and w/o ToC, just doesn't cut the mustard.
Edited by Praxis#1130 on 12/3/2012 4:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Another question! w/ Calamity, can I have Marked For Death on my bar with say....The mortal enemy glyph. When Calamity procs marked for death will that still apply even if I don't manually use the spell?

I really like marked for death and the runes it has, but I hate the move for the fact that it takes SO long just to mark something and totally ruins the build. I never really knew how calamity works, so a quick explanation would mean the world to me!

Marked for Death on Calamity does not require you to have Marked for Death selected as a skill. It kicks in all the time for me (you'll see a red squiggly glyph over the monster's head). If you have MFD as a skill, then I don't know how/if it interacts with MFD on Calamity. But without the skill, MFD on the weapon is still active.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]