Diablo® III

Demon Hunter Crit

90 Undead Death Knight
On my demon hunter i have my crit hit chance at 63% and i am wondering if there is a certain percent i need to get to or if there is an amount of it to where its just a waste to get more than needed amount of crit. my crit hit damage is at 389%. and also im wondering if i should lose a little crit hit chance and maybe go down to like 55% or so and try to get my crit hit damage to 400%
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sammm-1664/hero/2876883
that is my demon hunter
Reply Quote
Not certain but it looks like you need attack speed more then anything else atm. Also the higher your crit chance the better. I don't think there is really a number ppl stop at, at least not for me anyways. I try and keep the highest amount of crit damage, and crit chance I can afford. Gets hard to juggle those along with attack speed and dex.
Reply Quote
I think you got it right. You could double affix or triple affix like Glitz said, if you want to increase your att speed. Out of the 3: IAS, CHD and CHC, IAS is the least important IMO. Since you will be moving to avoid hits, you want to max out on CHC and CHD.

Thats what I think.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
is there a hard cap on CHD
Reply Quote
it depends on your build if u want to stack that much cd, if your using spike traps u dont want alot of attack speed, just cd and cc
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Duckknight
is there a hard cap on CHD

Let's see:
Manticore: 300 CD
Amulet: 100 CD
Belt: 50 CD
Ring1: 50 CD
Ring2: 50 CD
Inherent: 50 CD
Archery: 50 CD
Gloves: 50 CD

With Manticore max CD is 700.
Base CD max is 350 CD. 2h Xbow can get 50 more from Archery, whereas, 2h bow gets 15% damage and 1h xbow get 10% CC

So here's for each weapon:
1h bow + Quiver: 550 CD
1h Dual Wield: 750 CD
2h Bow: 550 CD
Windforce: 450 CD
2h xbow: 600 CD
Manticore: 700 CD

I hope this helps answer your question.
Reply Quote
I think you got it right. You could double affix or triple affix like Glitz said, if you want to increase your att speed. Out of the 3: IAS, CHD and CHC, IAS is the least important IMO. Since you will be moving to avoid hits, you want to max out on CHC and CHD.

Thats what I think.

Totally disagree. IAS/ASI is very important. Especially with manticore which is such a slow weapon. without more ASI you are shooting that thing like a old german tank... Ka-Plow...pause..pause...pause.. Ka-Plow

IAS is important for multiple reasons.

1> increases attack speed which will in turn help bring up your DPS by increasing your APS.
2> Allows you to start (once you have high enough APS) using something like nightstalker to actually benefit from critting by helping to faster refill disc.

NO matter what type of bow you run ... IAS is GREAT. You could suffer to reduce down a lil CC if you want to increase your IAS.

You can balance CC/CD OR CC/ASI or CD/ASI however you want. But I wouldn't just go CC/CD unless you are running legacy nats to keep up the disc regen for perma gloom. Otherwise you will run out of disc running medium MP levels I believe.

Last note on this..... If you only go CC/CD what are you going to do if/when you decide to go with a 1h bow .... which you will want more speed on? You will end up having to replace some of your pure cc/cd gear to add ASI. anyhooooo take if for what it is... an opinion.
Edited by BubbaGump#1297 on 11/26/2012 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yup I love ias
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Bump
Reply Quote
Since prices go up exponentially near the top end, to get the most damage for gold spent, it's best to even out the marginal gains on Crit Chance (CC) and Crit Damage (CD) on each upgrade.

I saw somewhere that there's a 75% cap for crit chance from skills and equipment, except for sharp shooter and maybe skill specific crit bonuses from equipment.

Based on that and thanks to the info from Radelon, you are much closer to the max crit chance than to the max crit damage.

63/75 = 0.84, or 84% of the way to max crit chance
389/700 ~= 0.56, or just over half way to max crit damage

Base on that, it's probably cheaper to get more CD than more CC at your point.

-------
For your second question, lets do some math:
63 CC * 398 CD = 24507
55 CC * 400 CD = 22000

The first is higher, so keeping your current numbers for CC and CD is better than what you wondered about.
You can do the same math for whatever new CC and CD and quickly compare if it's better or not.

--------
As for the other people mentioning attack speed,

speed can be good or bad depending on skill choice preference, for most cases it's always better to have faster attack speed as it's a straight forward more damage as you get faster.

Here's a case where speed may not be good.
Spike Trap with Echoing blast rune is commonly used, but since only 3 can be placed at a time, and it takes 3.2 seconds for each use to finish, if you attack really fast you will gain more hatred than you can spend. Say if you have 7 hatred regen/sec and you get 3 per attack, if you attack faster than 1.7 per second, you will have more hatred than you can spend on traps. Hatred regen can be much higher when using mark for death mortal enemy, or hatred regen runes.

So if you attack at like 2.5 per second, to maximize damage you will either have to get another hatred spender, or get the Custom Engineering passive so you can lay more traps. Both case means one less skill choice for damage boost or utility.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
BUMP
Reply Quote
Ive always been about CC and CD and IAS was always the least saught after of the 3. Thats my play style though and obviously, others prefer to be lil mobile mini-guns instead of tanks. I tried doing the dual wield thing and although its super fast, it just want fun for me. I also used spike trap and rain of vengeance for a long time, and neither of those benefit from IAS.

Anyway, my crits 1-hit most trash on mp5, and in 104, so I spent time and money upping my crit chance. I would work on keeping your CC where its at and work on getting more CD or dex for more damage.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 01:39 PMPosted by hellmonkey
Ive always been about CC and CD and IAS was always the least saught after of the 3. Thats my play style though and obviously, others prefer to be lil mobile mini-guns instead of tanks. I tried doing the dual wield thing and although its super fast, it just want fun for me. I also used spike trap and rain of vengeance for a long time, and neither of those benefit from IAS.

Note that this poster did not ignore IAS, just placed it on the armor. This is similar to what I did, recognizing that pants, gloves, helm, bracers would come in 9% atk speed flavors and 20% on quiver. So besides gloves, which can have crit dmg (and this is what I went for to keep cost down on gloves).

OP has about 36% attack speed.

For me, the more hatred I have, the more I can dump (ergo higher dmg skills) so I am a bit heavier on attack speed, but not by much. My other weapon is a calamity :) I recommend having two main weaps so that you can swap depending on situation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]