Diablo® III

ShockNadoShards (SNS), a CM/WW build [guide]

Can someone look at my gear and make a suggestion on 1 or 2 upgrades....budget is about 100mil ... easily farm mp5 for keys ....

what is the best follower and why? Currently using templar who has 72k life

thanks

edit...profile shows electrocution because i just run it on mp0/1 for fun on exp runs...normally run teleport wormhole
Edited by Romad#1308 on 1/17/2013 2:54 PM PST
Can someone look at my gear and make a suggestion on 1 or 2 upgrades....budget is about 100mil ... easily farm mp5 for keys ....

what is the best follower and why? Currently using templar who has 72k life

thanks

edit...profile shows electrocution because i just run it on mp0/1 for fun on exp runs...normally run teleport wormhole

i think you would see an improvement if you went with a chant force with APoC (right now going for 15mil+ on AH) and a Mempo of twilight. the Mempo will definitely help with your attack speed and ultimately your cm ticks. if you can manage to get a Mempo with cc, that'd be a huge plus since your current helm doesnt look like it has any cc. Also, a decent witching hour may help improve your AS, although it can get expensive if you want to maintain the all res you currently have on your belt.

as for a follower, i use enchantress with maximus bc the demon is a pretty good tank. i've seen a lot of ppl use scoundrel for his cc bonus tho.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
i think you would see an improvement if you went with a chant force with APoC (right now going for 15mil+ on AH) and a Mempo of twilight.

No way that can be true. 15M? And if it is, then the Chant Force does like 1 DPS and has 1 APOC. And a CC Mempo with CC, is several hundred million gold. APOC Force and Mempo is clearly endgame.

You are correct in that the poster needs more attack speed. As the guide suggests, you need to get to 2.5 AS and then 2.73. You have some decent gear, but everything can use an upgrade. A CM's work is never done!
Tal's chest: pretty good. Nice AllRes and IAS here. Be on the lookout for AR/AllRes.
Helm: not a big fan of OS, unless you're doing it for experience run. Otherwise I'd do 70+ All Res for 4+ CC. Keep LoH above 400.
Belt: Clearly you'll need to move to WH with All Res. Not cheap, but has to be done.
Pants: Not bad. Would like to see All Res/Armor here eventually. But all the double stat rolls and the high LoH are good for now.
Nats set: not bad
T&T: I like the double INT or VIT roll. I had one before that had both. Might even be on the AH right now for like 10M. Look for an upgrade with higher CC.
VW: pretty solid
Chant WIll. weakest part. Your are better served with an OS or IAS roll here. IAS makes getting to 2.73 AS very easy. OS (or CD) does more damage, but are very expensive. Your STR/VIT rolls are not worth what an OS/CD or IAS can do for you.
Chant Force: +STR is Ok, but I'd rather hide VIT here.
Hellfire: not bad. No IAS, so you'll have to build around it if you want to keep it.
Ammy and Bracers: see below.

Couple of things. you need to decide if you want an IAS Wand (I'd prefer this route). Get one with at least 1.73+ AS. Then do the math and figure out how much more IAS you'd need to hit 2.73 breakpoint. With a 1.74 wand you'd need 2 more pieces of IAS gear to hit 2.73 - lacunis and WH. If you ditch your Hellfire then you'd do WH and ring. (you can still do hellfire for low MP experience farming, sure).

Just try to keep your All Res and armor up.

gl
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/18/2013 7:08 AM PST
01/18/2013 06:33 AMPosted by PieHole
i think you would see an improvement if you went with a chant force with APoC (right now going for 15mil+ on AH) and a Mempo of twilight.

No way that can be true. 15M? And if it is, then the Chant Force does like 1 DPS and has 5 APOC. And a CC Mempo with CC, is several hundred million gold.

i agree that mempo with cc is extremely expensive, hence why i dont have one. but i got my force last night for 15mil. admittedly, the forces with APoC around that price aren't awesome from a DPS standpoint, but it definitely helped me reach closer to 2.73 AS than i was getting with my storm crow and non-APoC force.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
haif, How much APOC did it have? You ought to have 18+ to make the build work well. If it only has 6 or 7 then you're probably causing other problems.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/18/2013 7:10 AM PST
01/18/2013 07:10 AMPosted by PieHole
haif, How much APOC did it have? You ought to have 18+ to make the build work well. If it only has 6 or 7 then you're probably causing other problems.

the Force i got only had 7 APoC, which combined with my Chant Will is 17 APoC. it's not ideal and i'm constantly on the lookout for a better source but i only experience AP issues at low MP or against individual targets (mostly bc of being unable to perma freeze). right now i'm trying to get my armor/all res up so i can go full SNS, although it's probably going to be a long and expensive process. :/
Example 2: Hitting the 2.73 breakpoint with Chantnodo's Will (+.22 ApS/8% IAS) and other items:
2.73 = 1.73x ..... thus, 2.73/1.63= 1.58 or, 58% total IAS.
Already have Lacunis, Chantnodo's Force, rare gloves, and Inna's Temperence for 35 IAS
Thus, 58-35=23. You'd need 24 IAS from 3 items. ex, 9+9+5, 8+8+7, 9+8+6. in fact, I have a large variety of rings and amulets with a variety of IAS and CC and other affixes (CD, All Resist, damage, INT) depending on the situation (solo (with help from followers), group, ubers, etc).

First thanks for the advice....for 24 mil i went for a Chantnodo's will that has 1.77aps +0.23aps with 10% IAS...dropped weapon 100 dps 1095 to 987

So if i go by your first page example (math ahead and may not be right)..using your example:

2.73/1.77=1.5423 that means i need 54% IAS....with the 10% IAS on wand i need 1% more IAS to hit the breakpoint

Now how does the 0.23aps the weapon has effect the equation is it like this:
2.73/(1.77+.23).....2.73/2.0=1.365 so I have already hit the 2.73 with the new wand and without adding another IAS slot on current gear....

If this last statement is correct...I can either wait (save up for equal damage) with the APOC on the Force...or i can look for a ring with 6.0 cc and 9% IAS with armor or AR not to far out of my price range....or buy a mid-tier Force with 8-10 APOC for about 65mil or so and then be able to get the memo (without cc)

Am I looking at this all wrong...i eventually know I need a lacuni, WH, and possibly Blackthorne's Cross with CD and replace the vit on the pants with AR/Armor

edit....went in game to see what the stats did and in game aps shows 2.53
Edited by Romad#1308 on 1/18/2013 12:16 PM PST
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Yeah, don't necessarially trust what the game tells you. It can round, and misinform you.

So, your weapon's attack speed is (1.4*1.1)+.23=1.77, as the games says. The IAS and +AS are already included in the calculation. The max you can have is like my weapon, 1.79 AS. Some combinations of IAS and +AS go out to the thousandths digit...yours doesn't.

Currently you have 43% attack speed, so you're at 1.43*1.77=2.53 AS, as you said.

If you want to get to 2.73, its 2.73=1.77x where x=1.542....round up....55 IAS. Now, since you're so close to being below 1.54, we can be more accurate. 2.7273=1.77x where x=1.5408....which still rounds up to 55.

You're at 43 now, so you'd need 12 more IAS to reach 2.73.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 1/18/2013 1:29 PM PST
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
You know, if you want to be different, I might try to keep the VIT on the pants. I'm gonna look into this myself when I get home. I'm gonna look for:
armor: 800
VIT: close to, or over 200.
LoH: over 400
In other words, if you could stack a crapload of VIT here, you wouldn't need it elsewhere. But you'd need to max out armor to make it worthwhile. Just a thought. Maybe a bad thought ;-)

The cross is a non-starter in my books. With SC, you'd have 3 sources of LoH. And that's too much. You'd be better served with a rare ammy.

So, you're gonna need lacunis and a WH to get to 2.73. Or a WH and right ring....dump the Hellfire ring.

Oh, since you'll be overshooting the 2.73 breakpoint by quite a bit, there's no use overpaying for a 9 IAS Lacunai or WH. If 8 gives you a better deal, go for it. If you went 8IAS on both lacunis and WH, then you could "downgrade" to a 5IAS Ammy and still make breakpoint. You could get a nice deal on a 5 or 6 IAS ammy (versus 8 or 9).
I am finding it hard to hit anywhere near 800 resist all, 5k armor and 1k+ life on hit. Any suggestions on items I could swap out to obtain a more balanced feel?
great job on the guide when i found this i started a wizard and am now in process to going to 60. ten levels left made up 14 of them this morning before work. but this guide helped alot by showing my friend how to gear his cm wiz since he wasnt geared to archon or cm. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wtfninja-1644/hero/3073260 i think he wont be able to hit another break point unless he gets a wh or a helm with ias
Edited by bda145#1879 on 1/19/2013 10:36 AM PST
01/19/2013 01:27 AMPosted by CoachMcguirk
I am finding it hard to hit anywhere near 800 resist all, 5k armor and 1k+ life on hit. Any suggestions on items I could swap out to obtain a more balanced feel?

Hey man, I'm going to give you a recommendation that will not sound too attractive, but in the end it might help a good bit

So right now you're rocking TR ammy.. This ammy is really a baseline item for archons, not Weatherman Wiz. SO start here -- you're gonna lose lots of sheet damage, but it's ok, just listen:

-Replace TR ammy with Blackthorne Ammy -- gain ~500-600 LOH, gain +100 vit via set, more importantly... gain 8/9 IAS. Make sure you also pay for 8+ CC on this. You should be able to get a BT ammy like I described for much less than the TR ammy. BT ammy has room for another affix still, so think about what you want here. Anything good in this final slot pushes the price up, but finding ~40 all res here in addition to the IAS/CC/LOH shouldn't be too bad, especially when you've got a TR ammy on hand to sell

-Replacing TR ammy with BT ammy suddenly grants you IAS in that slot. Guess what this enables? It allows you to get rid of lacuni. Grab a bracer with 6CC, far more armor and all res, and far more INT here.

In total you will keep you IAS breakpoint, gain a bit of CC if done right, lose sheet DPS, gain TONS of Loh, gain life, gain tons of armor

Last thing.. Just remember when gearing Weatherman Wiz, you don't ever focus on your sheet dps until ALL other requirements are met. Your sheet DPS is whatever it is until you're fully running Weatherman Wiz spec, because this spec itself is what gives so much dmg. Then when it's all squared away, go ahead and start thinking about CD and more int to boost your sheet
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 1/19/2013 10:50 AM PST
@PieHole

Thanks for the responses!

So I've run into a few dilemmas farming high MPs. I can do MP10, but it's kind of a chore. I also feel like it's flying high-wire without a safety net against certain affixes not running Crystal Shell. I've met all the minimum requirements for MP8+, but I guess I need more EHP to properly tackle MP10? Here are my new stats, completely unbuffed:

APS: 2.77
CC: 50%
APoC: 18
Life: 37K
AR: 800+
Armor: 5K
LoH: 950
DPS: 128K

(I feel like my health is too low. Trying to find a good piece to upgrade vitality: any suggestions? I'm thinking my Witching Hour)

Basically what I'm asking is what it will take to run Diamond Shards / Shocking Aspect with Wormhole on MP10, while not getting gibbed really quickly by certain affixes. I suppose some combinations were just meant for a painful grind (like Desecrator + Arcane + Frozen + Extra Health), but I'm wondering how far off I am from comfortably soloing it. I can currently do MP8 comfortably (and by that I mean faceroll with no deaths and minimal effort).

My other option is to run Crystal Shell and use Meteor (Conflagration + Molten Impact) instead of Teleport. I think that I lose a lot of traveling ability without Wormhole as well as the flexibility / repositioning of teleport vs certain affixes, but the Meteor builds are insanely good for killing and Crystal Shell makes up for a lot of problems defensively. Any thoughts on this variation? Pinpoint Barrier is also great to run over Shocking Aspect, really beefing you up to survive standing in even the worse of affixes.

My last option is just to kick it at MP8. It's not so bad. Just want to reach that highest level though :)

Last question! Which follower do you guys use? 3% crit from Scoundrel vs IAS / Armor boost from Enchantress?
Edited by ajinkris#1568 on 1/19/2013 5:22 PM PST
90 Dwarf Shaman
Can someone take a look at my gear and tell me what i should work on? im around 20 mil budget.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
01/19/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Alesso
So right now you're rocking TR ammy.. This ammy is really a baseline item for archons, not Weatherman Wiz. SO start here -- you're gonna lose lots of sheet damage, but it's ok, just listen:

Yep, alesso has half of the problem solved. The only time BT ammy really makes sense is when you're rocking APOC Chant Force and Mempo (CC, for that matter!). It'll give you the extra LoH that you need, typically 800 LoH for each 100k DPS. (not sure where you're at, since you're archon buffed in your profile I presume).

The major problem you have for All Res is your chest, belt, and pants. No All Res there. Not Much armor either. First thing you need to do is start shedding INT and VIT. You only need to have about 35k health,...and you'll be getting the VIT bonus from your BT ammy as well as % life. Get an All Res Tal's chest with as much armor and All Res that you can afford. Same for WH - get as much All Res as you can afford (with whatever other stats you want, INT probably). BT pants....drop the double VIT and INT rolls and go for All Res and Armor.

Another trick for armor is to get VW with STR. Look for 180+ INT, 150+ STR, and 70+ VIT. Be careful about the armor roll. I'm having trouble finding an upgrade for mine (for cheap, <10M), since I'm at the top of the armor roll. i.e. I can find ~180 STR, but a low armor roll eats up all of the STR...and I'm not that much better off. So, take armor into consideration.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@ajin

Well, minimum specs are one thing. And you've hit all of them very nicely. The question is, can you do MP10? Yes. Can you do it "efficiently?" No. I certainly can't. Here's my experience:

• MP10 Ubers (with a group) - I typically run Energy Armor/force armor so I don't die, or at least keep it to just a few times. Be sure you're with a group with good DOS though.
  • MP10 solo (keys), I usually run SNS with crystal shell - alot more survivability, and you don't give up a ton of DPS. Still is a bit of a grind.
  • MP9 ubers (with a group) - I can do SNS with Crystal Shell pretty good. Usually with only a few deaths....
  • MP8 ubers (with a group) - full SNS. No holding back here.
  • --recently, i've added about 75 all res, so I might try MP9 with full SNS. Well see.

"Effective" generally relates to how quick you can kill things (without dying (much)). And that only happens with high DPS (while maintaining all your mitigation). The ones arguing about "effectively" farming MP10 are the ones with 180, 200, 220+ DPS running SNS on MP10. So....don't feel bad. I'd just farm MP8 so you can do it quickly. I usually keep it to MP6, but you're geared a little better than me, so 7 or 8 is completely reasonable.

I think it was Shandlar that posted some equation about wormholeing effectively. Some multiplicative value from: CC, breakpoint, APOC, and whirlwind proc rate. I.e. how quickly can you wormhole, find yourself in the middle of a pack, freeze, WW, and recover AP in order to freeze again and survive. It was a pretty demanding set of stats.

Here, I was curious, so I found it: (Shandlar)

for you:
    APoC * 0.125 * Crit Chance * Wicked Wind Ticks per Second
    18*0.125*0.50*6=6.75

Shandlar's guidelines for wormholeing:
    7.00 - 7.50 = Bare minimum. Will struggle often with AP.
    7.50 - 8.50 = Good. Be careful with wormholing too aggressively. May have to skip the first EB cast.
    8.50 - 9.50 = Excellent. Can occasionally get yourself in trouble with wormhole.
    9.50 - 10.50 = Perfect. Always enough AP.
    10.50+ = Wasted unless you are using twisters to gather huge AP for meteor casts.

Good luck getting to "excellent" - you need a ton of CC or be at the 3.0 BP or have APOC Force to rock 30 APOC. Don't feel bad if you're squishy with Wormhole. Besides....if its a grind to kill things, does a few seconds that you save wormholeing really made sense? i.e. time traveling between groups isn't your limiting factor, DPS is. I do Safe passage....great for still having TP for repositioning, but you get the 30% damage reduction, which helps on the higher MP's.

Good luck!
    - Diablo III (Wizard)
    View profile
    01/19/2013 11:26 PMPosted by Kpxdurzo
    Can someone take a look at my gear and tell me what i should work on? im around 20 mil budget.

Hey there...can't see your profile, you have your WOW account linked up.
    I just recently upgraded my VW and gained 2AR, 10 int, and most importantly, 76 vit, to put me at 40k HP (from 36k). I had to give up about 50 armor for that.

What is the collective's opinion on this switch?
    Wow the amount of advice on this thread is pretty damn epic. I'd love to get some feedback on my cheapo wannabe CMWW set that I'm currently trying to make. Would appreciate any gear upgrade advice and how much I should be paying. ATM I'm trying to reach the 2.73 APS breakpoint and I really want to buy a WH with 50+ AR and 90+ VIT, but it's way out of my budget.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]