Diablo® III

ShockNadoShards (SNS), a CM/WW build [guide]

- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@bda.....

So, yes, to the VIT shoulders. At least is seems like a good idea to the people who responded to my question. Maybe I'll start dong that...and save bracer crafting for later.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7924372738#5
ya i saw the thread. was about to post and decided againist it.

but i added all my plus vit which is only 4 items. blackthorne pants, nat boot, vile, tal armor comes to just over 330. wont lose my pants or tal anytime soon it comes to 151. ya a extra 50 vit while getting intel boots for nat yes please.

it seems most of my vit comes the plus vit i have from bt ammy and mempo.

i think i might end up crafting both in the end to which ill prefer in the but ill start with vit ones.
Fantastic guide, PieHole, great job.

I only hit 60 tonight, and spent 8m regearing for SNS, it's been a ton of fun so far. I've experimented swapping between meteor and EB and I suspect it's cos I'm not critting enough right at the start to mash EB enough (46% atm). If you guys have any advice on what to change first, please let me know.

The Lacunis and the shoulders are left over from cheap level-reduced stuff I bought earlier.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Fridarey,

Don't fret....its just the dreaded "windeup". I'm not sure I mentioned it in the guide or not. Basically, you use alot of your MP at the beginning of a fight laying out a few WW's, freezing, and putting out maybe one EB. After a few seconds, once WW kicks in and you start getting back AP, THEN you'll be able to mash a ton of EB's (and FN's as well, for the freeze) and youll almost never run out of AP. But it does take a few seconds.

The windeup is better at 3.0 breakpoint (more AS, more twister crits, thus, more APOC). Its also better with over 50CC (more crit = more APOC). Its also better with 30 APOC (more AP returned per crit).

The thing that you need to concentrate on at 2.73 (or any breakpoint, really) is maintaining max DPS at that full windeup. As soon as you take your finger off of WW to kite away....you lose it all (or most of it) and have to windeup again. That's why a ton of mitigation is key...if you can stand in desicrator, plagued, arcane beams, electrify, reflect....and not flinch....you'll do max DPS. Sure, a quick teleport or moving slightly for a better position isn't going to hurt much....but major kiting will.
been using Meteor > molten impact instead of Explosive Blast so I can get 10% dmg from Conflagration passive. Slow time > time warp instead of tele, but it isnt anything new on this forum.
you guys should give it a try for a change of pace.

later!
Thanks Pie, great info.

And, yeah it was just getting used to it tbh. I posted that after playing with the spec for only an hour or so, but (coming from a simple LMB, RMB and 3 buffs levelling spec) hadn't realised quite how much keymashing was required!

Now that I've got the RSI engaged it's all going great. I thought my DH was good at wasting hordes of mobs, but this wiz (with about a quarter the paper dps) is giving him a good run. As long as my fingers hold out I'm converted.

Good advice about AS / APOC. I'm holding at just over the 2.73 / 24 APoC point now and will probably look to beef my INT before anything else.
Test
Hey Piehole, thanks so much for this thread. Just read through the first post last night, picked up a few upgrades on AH this morning (only needed LoH and a bit more AS luckily). Where I used to have trouble on MP1 anything higher than Act 1, now I'm keyhunting through Dahlgur Oasis on MP6 :D
just finished reading through most of your write up. its got alot of good pointers.

Only one main question....seeing as when this was written does this build still work for patch 1.07??
i just recently tried this build out on a rough 10-15mill budget and it really works good! damage is very high and life on hit seems to be working good. only problem is im dying alot but then again I could always switch out evocation for blur and maybe try and get some more defensive gear.

seems to be working at mp2-3 and on my current gear pretty good.
Edited by doom26464#1712 on 2/19/2013 8:02 PM PST
i just recently tried this build out on a rough 10-15mill budget and it really works good! damage is very high and life on hit seems to be working good. only problem is im dying alot but then again I could always switch out evocation for blur and maybe try and get some more defensive gear.

seems to be working at mp2-3 and on my current gear pretty good.

Your dying because of 1 item.

Andy's visage.

You have no life on hit working for you and you have 1 item of arcane power @ 2.31 break point.
I followed the guide where it recommend anderial visage.

my ring has over 430 life on hit which is more then the recommend amount for dps as well. I can see though my APOC is rather low though and could possible need some higher amounts. I might have to switch out the anderial visage but im not sure to what....look for a good wiz hat possibly.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
hey doom

1) the new patch didn't change anything.....it all works the same

2) I'm not sure I exactly recommended Andarial's Visage. Its listed as a "common item to increase attack speed" but I also said "I've really never seen a CM wiz use one" and as for using one, "You can think about it .....just not for very long." It might work in the right setup....but I don't really see it as viable.

You do have enough LoH though for your DPS...I think 400+ is fine. The real problem is you're missing a source of APOC. Running with only 10 is going to kill you....especially at the lower breakpoint that you're running at Eventually you'll need a sormcrow as your DPS increases (or, perhaps more importantly, and you increase the MP that you play at) but for now you'd probably do pretty well with a rare helm. Get one with at least 9 APOC, 5CC, 60 all res and whatever else you can find. That should make a world of difference.
^

Storm crow is easy choice for doom but he will fall below 2.31 break. Will need to be addressed elsewhere.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Yeah Booz....I guess its a tossup. I just figured doubling the APOC would actually give a better return even though that drops a breakpoint....especially because the extra LoH probably isn't needed. Plus a rare helm would allow him to keep the CC and All res that's he's used to on his helm (and his CC is already low....and I doubt a 5 CC SC is in the budget).

Ive always kinda liked the idea of a rare helm, like what whoopadedoo does http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/whoopadeedoo-1209/hero/18058828
i've never quite had the guts to go there though!
Yeah Booz....I guess its a tossup. I just figured doubling the APOC would actually give a better return even though that drops a breakpoint....especially because the extra LoH probably isn't needed. Plus a rare helm would allow him to keep the CC and All res that's he's used to on his helm (and his CC is already low....and I doubt a 5 CC SC is in the budget).

Ive always kinda liked the idea of a rare helm, like what whoopadedoo does http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/whoopadeedoo-1209/hero/18058828
i've never quite had the guts to go there though!

Rare helm is great, but selection is limited. middle ground between mempo and storm crow.

Just I think LOH is harder to replace then any arguabley any stat, so storm crow will win for me personally vs rare hat.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@B

was playing around on DP3 and to replace my SC with a rare i'd need this (just to break even)

Rare, with 409 armor
-----
+armor
5 CC
10 APOC
73 All Res
90 INT
14% Life or 99 VIT

And those are all premium rolls. And I've searched before....limited supply like you said. It's also amazing how much that 8% Lightning damage is worth (its worth about 5k DPS!! which is about 5% of my total DPS). And then there's the elite damage bonus. Not to mention replacing LoH elsewhere.

And going from 14% life to 18% life only nets you about 1000 life...which is nice, but meh.

Guess SC really is BIS for <500M builds....or maybe even 1B builds.

(now, and I've suggested this before...if you're running on MP1 or 2 doing exp runs, this might be a great substitute (APOC, CC, OS) because you can throw in your ruby for the experience gain and still keep the APOC and CC that you need for the build. You drop DPS, but, whatever.)
yah I'll have to get rid of the helm I guess... main concern is though I'll drop out of that 2.31 breakpoint and i'll have to try and get some more attack speed else where.

pretty much limits me to changing my one ring for attack speed wich sucks As I just bought it and at 2.5 million it was a good steal with some really good stats. Other option is to look for a higher attack speed on my weapon chandto's will.

Either way my option are going to cost money and im pretty broke after gearing my character lol. Guess i'll have to do some mp2 runs till I can make some cash or just switch to my barb.
Been grinding paragon levels for the last few weeks and finally finished.

Gloves and amulet received major upgrades due to crafting (20 tries on the amulet, 400+ tries on gloves)

Finding 80 resist Inna pants and vit/6cc Lacuni bracers helped fund some other upgrades. Bought a mid-level APoC chantodo orb so I could try to move towards using a mempo (4.5CC storm crow still in stash so I can run meteor if there's another CM wizard in game). Finally also upgraded my wand to one with more damage (I calculated that I needed 1.62 APS to ensure I hit 2.73 without mempo). For 3.01 breakpoint I picked up a 1125/1.75 wand for 20m. I also snagged a 960/1.79 wand for 30m in case I ever feel like playing with 3.34 APS (I believe 9asi inna pants would do it, but I would need to find some LoH on my nat ring first).

I have the feeling that Nat's ring should be the next upgrade. CC is probably out of the equation, as resist and armor are probably higher priorities at the moment. Life on hit would be another consideration, as there is the potential to (temporarily) replace BTJM for Inna's pants to run 3.34 (is there even any point in doing that for ubers?)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]