Diablo® III

ShockNadoShards (SNS), a CM/WW build [guide]

Not sure. Killing Gohm is all the rage for testing DPS, etc. Simply because it takes 2s to get to him. There's a new thread out there to see how long it takes to kill him on MP10.

You might get more responses if you just start a new thread.
Hello !

This is a great guide, thanks for sharing it ! The US wizard community is awesome, I've abandoned the french one from months ^^. I'm here to ask you to do me a favour; could you please tell me what should I buy to swap from my Archon build to a SNS build ? Archon was very funny but I can't go higher than mp4 (without dying) and it's quite useless in team. You can add me IG if you have time to chat ;)

Here's my armory: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Julius-1441/hero/3017821 (EU)

Knowing I have around 30m to spend...

Julius #1441
I also just wanted to say this was an amazing guide and THANK YOU for the time you put into this!

I built my wiz a couple days ago to try the class out, and I've definitely swapped from Barb --> Wiz.
Hello !

This is a great guide, thanks for sharing it ! The US wizard community is awesome, I've abandoned the french one from months ^^. I'm here to ask you to do me a favour; could you please tell me what should I buy to swap from my Archon build to a SNS build ? Archon was very funny but I can't go higher than mp4 (without dying) and it's quite useless in team. You can add me IG if you have time to chat ;)

Here's my armory: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Julius-1441/hero/3017821 (EU)

Knowing I have around 30m to spend...

Julius #1441

hey mate:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7118303190

this is a good budget guide. always remember. DPS is not your priority. You might be doing 70k but you'll be able to take on much much more

so i ask you: is it even possible to kill belial on mp10 without moving?

Crystal Shell + Force armor+ high defenses and LoH?
Many Thanks for the write up! Well done!!
@ Julius #1441

You thankfully don't need a complete rebuild, but alot of stuff with CD needs to go, as expected.

If you get a chants Will like mine with 1.72 or 1.73 APS Chants Will that will probably run you ~10M....and that leaves you (roughly) with needing 7 pieces of IAS gear to hit 2.73.

You already have 4, but you'll need a Storm Crow, so you're down to 3.

The 4 pieces you'd need for IAS would be:
Gloves: 8-9 IAS, 8.5-10 CC with something (IAS, Resist all, VIT)
Lacuni: 3.5-4CC, with some specific resist (physical, fire are nice). With armor would be nice. and might run 7-8M.
Ammy: 8-9 IAS, 9-10 CC with ~3-400 LoH. I might spend up to 10M here. The life on hit here is crucial since you don't have blackthorn's pants. You need 2 sources of LoH. And its cheaper on an ammy than on a ring.
Chant's force: compete the set for INT bonus. Get as much damage as you can. I'd spend another 7-8 M here.

And you'll need the storm crow that I mentioned. Mine sucks, but was only about 100k. About 1M should get me one with 70+ All resist, 400+ armor, and 400 LoH. Get something like this.

You'll need to start adding in All resist and Armor after that. You might be better by getting less DPS on your Chant's set....maybe spending 10M total....if that saves you 10M, you could beef up armor or get *some* all resist on your chest or pants. For instance, a Tals chest with almost 800 armor can be had for 6-8M. (I'm holding out for 9 IAS). that'd be an extra 150 armor and 50 VIT over what you have now. Sacrifice a little INT. Look for pants with *some* Resist all....even just 20-30. Its a slow process sometimes.
Am I doing it right :) ?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Julius-1441/hero/3017821

Next purchase will be Chant's source, but I need to farm a bit for it (2.5M left atm^^). Should I buy one with ApoC ? Like 100-300 150+ 8-9cc 8-9as 8-10apoc ? With this specs it's 60m+ at least :/

Thanks again for help
i don't use teleport. i don't see a need for it even at high mps and vs ubers. i use shock pulse, basically i hold down shock pulse, click left click soon as its up, and micro my 1, 2, 3 keys to diamond, frost nova, and tornados.. i deal ridiculous damage especially with a monk there as the added crits from LL help quite a bit, can freeze lock as little as 1 mob to as many as you want.

i would try this over tele tbh. also can sit through most stuff while rocking sns. obv multiple stacks of anything have to move out of tho(des)

edit profile not updated yet obv
Edited by lameboi#1117 on 12/4/2012 11:08 PM PST
@julius

No you have lots more work to do before going the APOC chants route. You need to do alot of work toward meeting the "mid-level" stats I have in the guide. I believe that one more piece of IAS gear (chants Force, no APOC) gets you to the 2.5 breakpoint and a Chants Will (with IAS) gets you to 2.73. Your current Chants will does not have +IAS.

Even if/when you reach the AS goal, your CC will be low. There are too many items that you have where CC is not as high as it could be (ammy is 8, gloves are 7 - both could be 9 or 10. Both rings are 4 or below,...and could be higher. Your helm is certainly nice...I like that. And all of that is fine for starters....Once you have the freeze rocking and rolling youll be fine.....where you'll have issues with low CC is getting the freeze started....you'll be a little starved for AP (less CC means less APOC). once you get this to 45 it gets better....and 50+ is awesome. its all about slowly and incrementally squeezing out each and every IAS and CC that you can. And the same goes for AR and All Resist and LoH, etc. It takes time...you won't get it all at once.

hint: get a cheap (<1M) 9IAS/5+CC ring that you can switch out with your hellfire ring. That will help you reach 2.73 without needing to buy a chants will (for now, you should get one later). Use this ring for doing ubers etc....but switch with hellfire for leveling. I switch out gear all the dime depending on what I'm doing at the moment.
@ lameboi

I'd be interesting to know how your DPS compares to the standard SNS build. You're using prismatic (and losing all the damage from shocking aspect) and I'm not sure if LL makes up for it.

Try to reproduce the results from holyfork (using straight up SNS), timing how long it takes to kill gohm at MP8 and then figure out your multiplier. It should be close to 7x.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004691927

And then try your build and see what comes out ahead.

I rarely use TP against ubers, if I do it is safe passage for the damage reduction. Sometimes I use force weapon for extra DPS. Usually I use slow time/time warp for the party buff.
Ok....cleaned up the Guide a little bit. After fighting the endless battle to get people to realize that they need to drop DPS from their old build when regearing for the SNS build, I tried to more effectively to communicate that in the guide.

To that end also, I broke out a separate section "Common items to increase Armor and All Resist" to get people to think defensively as well.

I stole this from lamebio, to suggest the order of importance for gearing:
CC=IAS=Armor=All Resist>>>DPS

I'm sure people will still try to stack DPS in the beginning....but I hope this helps people understand that its really the last thing to worry about.
I need some help with the SNS build.

I can't seem to 100% perma-freeze the elites/ubers. There's always this 0.5 seconds where they can move and do something in between freezes. Or is that normal?

Also, I need help on my next upgrade to aim for, considering that I put this wiz together with 20m and left with 10m. :(

CC: 49%
APS: 2.75
Armor: 4323
AR: 400~
HP: 30k
I think that under 2.73, you will need more than 20 APOC. Your AP will dry up too fast with just 20 APOC, sustainable AP is just as important as CC or IAS. As you can just ignore DPS, the entry level should be 25-30 APoC for 2.51 and below imo.
I need some help with the SNS build.

I can't seem to 100% perma-freeze the elites/ubers. There's always this 0.5 seconds where they can move and do something in between freezes. Or is that normal?

Absolutely normal.

Also, I need help on my next upgrade to aim for, considering that I put this wiz together with 20m and left with 10m. :(

CC: 49%
APS: 2.75
Armor: 4323
AR: 400~
HP: 30k

You need a lot more all res.
elo i followed your guide and could u gimme ur opinion about my wiz? which thing should i increase first? im not that rich but well atm im playing pm6-7 without so much prob but im using most of time prism armor i got btw 660 and 880 resists
Edited by Toys#2358 on 12/6/2012 4:08 PM PST
Great guide, thanks! And timely, because 3 days ago I decided to try this build.

I am using gear found by or borrowed from my main (WD). I bought the weapon, source, hat, and ring for about 4M total. Current stats are:

2.51 APS, 41.5% CC, 18 APoC, 62.5K DPS
4200 armor, ~500 res all, ~700 LOH, 35.4K health

I seem to survive just fine up to MP7. I haven't tried higher than that. The act 2 keywarden blew me up pretty bad but otherwise I'll chalk it up to L2P... I mean, it's been all of about 6 hours playing this style so far.

Question: where to go from here? Take a look at my profile (finally updated after 2 days) please. I would like to be able to handle MP8 ubers. I seem to have a couple options to hit 2.73 APS:

1) replace gloves and weap, 9ias and 1.74 aps respectively
2) replace hellfire and weap, 8-9ias and 1.72-1.73 aps respectively

I guess #2 is the better option because I can pick up more CC% on the ring. I can still use the hellfire for 2.5 aps to grind paragon.

Thanks for any advice.
Edited by Worloega#1821 on 12/6/2012 4:13 PM PST
@Worloega

Yeah, I definitely think 2 is the better option for higher MP. Find a 5+ CC ring and that will smooth things out with the build. CC is pretty hard to work in actually, harder than IAS. But more CC = more APOC, and that's what you need to cast all your spells. You recover AP really quickly when you get all your twisters out and proc'cing....but for the first few seconds you can be starved for AP.....so the more CC you have the better. Or get 30 APOC....but Chants Force with APOC is damned expensive.

I mean, once you get to 2.73 you can usually/likely "handle" MP8-10 ubers *with a group* relatively/somewhat easily. That's alot of caveats, I know....I've gotten stuck before at MP10 where I couldn't get out group through one of the portals. It happens. If you use Energy Armor/Force Armor you can survive alot of big hits, especially from Magda. It'd just take you a day and a half to kill each uber since your DPS is so low. And getting your 5 stack would take forever too. If you have some high DPS friends then the highest MP's are doable. Just not solo.

Your current gear choices are certainly a little different, since its from your WD. Ultimately you need to start stacking more CC, All Resist, and Armor. i.e. reach the "mid-level" suggestions in the guide and start to move beyond that. My build is actually pretty traditional, but is not anywhere near end-game. Look to shandlar/Aph/boozer and the rest for what to aspire to. But they all went through something similar to my gear as they were gearing up. Unless you have alot of gold, then there are some shortcuts to take.
Thanks Pie. Ended up getting a 1.73 aps weap and a 2-piece nat's. That put me over 2.73 with 48.5% CC. Dropped my DPS by 10K but in practice I'm doing at least as much damage as before because I no longer need crystal shell / cold snap. With prismatic armor, I can solo Ghom MP9.

And yes, the initial goal was to be able to coop MP8. My buddies can bring the damage. Pretty sure I'm there now; we'll put it to the test tonight. Good tip about Magda by the way... that fight is the one that has me worried. Also I guess I need to tank siege and avoid kulle b/c his slow bubbles will destroy me quickly.

Next up, well, my bracers are garbage. Can't give up the IAS though and I'm loathe to part with the amulet. Anyway, thanks again for the guide+advice!
Thanks Pie. Ended up getting a 1.73 aps weap and a 2-piece nat's. That put me over 2.73 with 48.5% CC. Dropped my DPS by 10K but in practice I'm doing at least as much damage as before because I no longer need crystal shell / cold snap. With prismatic armor, I can solo Ghom MP9.

And yes, the initial goal was to be able to coop MP8. My buddies can bring the damage. Pretty sure I'm there now; we'll put it to the test tonight. Good tip about Magda by the way... that fight is the one that has me worried. Also I guess I need to tank siege and avoid kulle b/c his slow bubbles will destroy me quickly.

Next up, well, my bracers are garbage. Can't give up the IAS though and I'm loathe to part with the amulet. Anyway, thanks again for the guide+advice!

With those new stats and some defensive stats even as low as 600AR-3800armor you can probably take on Ubers on 8. Cater your skill runes though, so cold snap, and evocation for better freezing.

Try teleport (safe passage) or stretch time (Use 20% DPS since your at the breakpoint already) to help fight magda and help your group out.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]