Diablo® III

Some Wizard Ideas (No nerfs/CM changes!)

Here are some ideas I had to improve Wizard build diversity. Since nerfs are so toxic to this community, I'm going to try to do this without any nerfs or CM changes at all! I will try to put explanations in parentheses after some of the ones where I think an explanation is needed.

Proposed Changes:

==Passives==
1) Elemental synergies (Conflagration, Cold Snap, and Paralysis) now all proc on Arcane element damage in addition to their own damage type. Temporal Flux (the arcane elemental passive) now procs on Physical damage type as well (eg. Wave of Force, Explosive Blast).

2) Power Hungry also reduces all cooldowns by 1 second when you collect a health orb, in addition to its other effects

3) Glass Cannon increases damage by 20%, instead of 15% (this looks like the biggest penalty among damage boost passives among all classes. So it should at least be more powerful than the boost passives which come without penalties like DH-Archery or Barb-Weapon Master)

4) Galvanizing Ward increases maximum health by 10% (discussed elsewhere: all armor base duration increased to 5 minutes, so the time boost would be less relevant)

5) Illusionist removes mana cost of Teleport in addition to its other effects (so there is a predictable benefit to the skill)

==Actives==
1) Primary Skills
1a) Magic Missile base damage increased (compare runed versions of Magic Missile to unruned versions of other ranged class primary skills: DH-Piercing Arrow, WD-Poison Dart. Magic Missile is obviously the weakest of these skills, and not by a small margin either)
1b) Shock Pulse base damage increased

2) Secondary Skills
2a) Ray of Frost base damage increased (Wizards lack a good single target DPS skill, and this looks like a good candidate to fill that role)
2b) Arcane Orb base damage increased (this skill has been left in the dust after all the other secondary skills have received significant buffs over the patches)
2c) Disintegrate increase proc coefficients (this skill does not work well in Inferno; in trying to figure out a role for it that does not overlap with Arcane Torrent I figure one can be good for damage and the other good for something else, and the only other thing I could think of was procs)

3) Defensive Skills
3a) Slow Time reduces projectile damage (for one thing it makes sense, for another the spell has a tendency to make certain projectiles like mortars or electricity clouds more deadly so this would compensate for that)
3b) Teleport changed to 12 second cooldown but Wormhole can only be cast 3 times in a row, which is still 1 cast/4 sec on average (Teleport has an unusually long cooldown compared to comparable movement skills like Barb-Leap, DH-Vault [even the Acrobatics rune], and to make matters worse the Wizard only has 1 movement skill making the long cooldown even more noticeable)

4) Force Skills
4a) Wave of Force cast time reduced (this skill is impractical to use if you actually try it)
4b) Energy Twister damage increased (proc rates are horrible enough, now its time to buff some of those CM synergy skills up to something respectable)
4c) Runes to adjust- Hydra [no rune], Meteor Liquefy (it is strictly inferior to Molten Impact), Blizzard Grasping Chill and Unrelenting Storm (these two runes essentially extend the duration of Blizzard by 2-3 seconds. And they're both weaker than Snowbound which can extend the duration of Blizzard by 6 seconds for the same mana)

5) Conjuration Skills
5a) All Armor skills last 5 minutes (so all Conjuration skills have the same duration for convenience's sake)
5b) Runes to adjust: Ice Armor Frozen Storm, Familiar Cannoneer

6) Mastery Skills
6a) Mirror Image change the implementation so that it "pushes" you in the direction of the mouse cursor, instead of randomly
6b) Runes to adjust- Mirror Image Extension of Will (can't see any use for this that Simulacrum doesn't do better. Maybe change the rune to a cooldown reduction instead?)

I think the Wizard needs a lot of help to increase build diversity, and the length of this post reflects that. Thanks for reading!
Reply Quote
View profile
+1 wiz need buffs not nerfs
Reply Quote
Ya wave of force is ridiculous. It just trolls your teammates and to use it on projectiles you need a ping of 60 or lower to the server.... good luck with that....
Reply Quote
Wizards are the most gimped class out of all of them. Everything they have has so many tradeoffs it isn't even funny.

Cold Blooded needs to be boosted higher as well. Since the Wizard skills that apply a "cold" buff to enemies are so limited and poor in quality, Cold Blooded should at least make up for how bad the damage is on most of the Wizard's skills.

Energy Twister has been nerfed through the ground for Critical procs (in fact Wizard seem to have some really bad Critical proc numbers on most of their skills), yet the damage on these skills hasn't been increased in any way to compensate. The reason for the nerf was that "Legendary Procs will be too powerful" but I don't see a single Wizard using any Legendary proc in conjunction with Energy Twister (because Blizzard lied and there weren't any good Legendary procs).

Meteor doesn't do nearly enough damage for the arm and leg that it costs. Even 300% weapon damage isn't worth it for costing 50 Arcane Power in an already limited pool.

There are just so many design flaws with the Wizard that it makes the class significantly less fun. It's almost impossible to get any kind of consistent damage like the other classes have against enemies. The only time a Wizard seems to be particularly effective is when there are so many monsters on the screen that any split second can immediately annihilate your entire pool of HP (plus Diamond Skin, as if that is even significant).

The only skill that feels par is Archon, and that comes with the tradeoff of not being able to defend yourself. Archon is the only skill the Wizard has that lets it yield the same damage output as the other classes with similar sheet DPS.

If you compare a Wizard using Spectral Blades with 150,000 DPS and a Monk with 150,000 DPS it is absurd how poorly the Wizard performs next to the Monk, and they're not even going out of their way to be "melee" and take extra damage.

In fact, every Wizard signature skill performs incredibly poorly against other classes. Barbarians have Frenzy which increases their DPS by more than every available Wizard buff put together. If Wizards are even going to compare with this then Spectral Blades needs to do like 200-300% weapon damage.

Even at 200,000 DPS Wizard signature skills feel like they're useless. I tried using Charged Bolt with the Fire Bolts rune (for 150% weapon damage per bolt) and it performs so poorly its disgraceful to the Wizard class. It takes like 15 attacks to kill a white monster with 170,000 DPS. Even at 3 attacks per second, that's 5 seconds just to kill a single white monster.

Wizard class is an embarassment to what the Sorceress could do in D2. I thought the Wizard was supposed to be stronger, not limited and incapable.

Wizard passives are laughable, and the fact that CM has to be in every single Wizard build just shows how poorly the class is designed. Just a mockery of Diablo.

Ya wave of force is ridiculous. It just trolls your teammates and to use it on projectiles you need a ping of 60 or lower to the server.... good luck with that....

You can use Slow Time, but then you've wasted 2 Skill slots just to handle one situation where you're being bombarded with ranged projectiles. In that situation though, Wizards only really have one good answer -- unfortunately that comes with a roster of tradeoffs, just like everything else the Wizard does.

By the way, I play MP8 by myself and MP9/10 with a friend. It's not like I'm taking 15 attacks of Charged Bolt to kill a monster in MP0. My DPS is significant enough to do MP8, but when I switch off my normal attack for a signature skill it's like a punch in the face. Those 4 skill slots are a waste of space. The Wizard might as well have like 10 skills, because the other 15 are complete trash.
Edited by steve#1991 on 11/29/2012 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
1) Elemental synergies (Conflagration, Cold Snap, and Paralysis) now all proc on Arcane element damage in addition to their own damage type. Temporal Flux (the arcane elemental passive) now procs on Physical damage type as well (eg. Wave of Force, Explosive Blast).

This doesnt make sense.
Reply Quote
Look, if you're gonna suggest buffs, don't try to buff skills that are already in use. How does that help build diversity? You're saying too many people use CM/WW but you just buffed the very skill that everyone is using. =.=

Other than that, good ideas. In addition, don't post stuff that makes critical mass even better. Blizzard is already hating on CM, why would they make it easier?
Reply Quote
Blizzard is already hating on CM, why would they make it easier?

Yea it's not like they made Barb 1000x easier to play.... oh wait, they did. Barb is roflstomp easy mode bull!@#$ and we can't even get a skill that meets par. Yea. Makes sense.

CM/WW is one of the most powerful builds available to the Wizard and it still feels like they're gimped because ranged attackers can blow you up in a split second. Barbs on the other hand get to WW through Arcane Sentries and Frozen mobs like they don't even exist.

Sounds balanced to me. Case closed.
Edited by steve#1991 on 11/29/2012 1:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
You're saying too many people use CM/WW but you just buffed the very skill that everyone is using. =.=

Other than that, good ideas. In addition, don't post stuff that makes critical mass even better. Blizzard is already hating on CM, why would they make it easier?

It is very likely we will see another nerf to WW in 1.07, seeing how CM/WW dominates ubers.
If the nerf is inevitable, I'd rather see they decrease ET's damage. Asking to buff ET's damage is not a good idea.

Wiz have only two builds. CM/WW is very bad in farming but awesome in ubers. Nobody wants to play with a regular wiz for ubers, but if you are a CM wiz, you will be very welcome. Thus more and more wiz play CM (even my non wiz friends are starting CM wiz)
All blizz see is CM is overpowered, while the truth is wiz have no other option.
Reply Quote
That's because Blizzard's philosophy for "diversifying" is bad, and they don't accept that. The only thing they did in the recent balance patch to "diversify" Wizard builds is add some really bad runes to an already bad Hydra skill.

What else did they do? They replaced a rune on Familiar that gives +300 bonus life regeneration... as if that is supposed to fix the class. Everything they've done to modify the Wizard since the game was released has done nothing to help the situation.

I mean, for familiar, you would have to be trading off +12% extra damage for what? 300 life regeneration? Everything about the Wizard's situation screams broken, and not in a way that makes them powerful. In a way that makes them limited and pigeon-holed.

Wizards life story is pigeon-holed into a corner and then Blizzard nerfs that corner so we're pigeon holed into another corner.
Edited by steve#1991 on 11/29/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well, I'll consider removing the Energy Twister buff from OP since people don't seem to like it. I thought Twisters were just good for procs and terrible for damage and was just trying to balance out all the nerfs that Twister has gotten (to proc rate).

Well that was my justification anyway. Would like to see the skill used outside of just CM/WW and for that to happen it needs to be better. But if it's doomed to just live side-by-side with CM then I guess I will remove the buff =(

@clees42,
The point of adding Arcane to all the passives is because almost all of the Wizard's spells are arcane. If you try to use those specialized passives you will find there just aren't enough skills to support it. Well except for Cold-Blooded, that one's actually pretty good. I just left it on the list for symmetry's sake.
Reply Quote
Well, I'll consider removing the Energy Twister buff from OP since people don't seem to like it.

If anything they need to just leave Energy Twister as it is so they don't continue to break the Wizard class. I mean, if Energy Twister were to cost nothing (signature skill) then it would be on-par with Barbarian's FRENZY, but apparently being on-par with the other classes is 'OP' for the Wizard.

Well that was my justification anyway. Would like to see the skill used outside of just CM/WW and for that to happen it needs to be better. But if it's doomed to just live side-by-side with CM then I guess I will remove the buff =(

Good point. I think what they need to do is actually have runes that diversify the skill, not limit its use. The rune that combines multiple energy twisters is a waste of a rune because it actually makes the skill do less damage. They should change it so that it just does 1 lump sum of damage (without any DoT, but only for that rune).

I mean, it doesn't take a genius to come up with simple ideas on how to change the way the skill works. It's like Blizzard doesn't even experiment or pay any attention to any of this... you'd have to be a complete moron to not be able to find ways to diversify the Wizard class.
Edited by steve#1991 on 11/29/2012 2:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
5) Conjuration Skills
5a) All Armor skills last 5 minutes (so all Conjuration skills have the same duration for convenience's sake)
5b) Runes to adjust: Ice Armor Frozen Storm, Familiar Cannoneer

I would suggest giving every armor skill a bonus to your armor. This way people wouldn't feel like they need to choose the more defensive skill like when Energy Armor was the way to go (before being nerfed).

Also in Archon form all non archon buffs should be permanent until your archon form stops. This way you don't have to worry about your armor buff or magic weapon buff disappearing while in archon form and not being able to recast it.

Also I think the Mirror Image skill needs to be buffed so the images can actually take more damage instead of dying from one hit.
Reply Quote
In the past I would have joined in this thread to give a few ideas of my own.

I went and played WD because wizard is trash without a 1B bank roll. I'm not going to spent that kind of gold on gear which drops in value daily.

I still retained some of my wizard's stuff in hopes of coming back to my first character which I spend 450 hours in game and hundreds of hours read up the wizard forum.

However the inactions of Blizzard has basically already made me lost all hope on wizards ever reaching the sort of effectiveness other classes like barbarian or WD. My WD is already paragon 60+ and has the sort of exp/items per hour that no wizard build can ever hope to match.

In conclusion I will not be playing the wizard again. But good luck, maybe Blizzard will let up a bit on the little girl with inadequate sources of heat/fire before she freezes to death.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 11/29/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Demasked
As of 1.05, Ice Armor substantially reduces melee damage, Energy Armor increases armor, and Storm Armor is more of a damage aura (shouldn't really be called armor anymore, but is intended to work with Galvanizing Ward so there you have it). Taking into account the huge nerfs that Energy Armor got, the option on which armor you take now (if any) seems reasonably well balanced. Before 1.05 your analysis was absolutely spot on, but now I don't think it's such an issue anymore.

@Wtflag
Don't give up hope! Though I agree with you in that Blizzard's sluggish pace of patching and secretive nature have not done the game or class balance any favors.
Reply Quote
Gimme Frozen Orb and I'll be happy.
Reply Quote
Remove teleport cool down
Reply Quote
My WD is already paragon 60+ and has the sort of exp/items per hour that no wizard build can ever hope to match.

Archon is pretty much the strongest farming ability in the game - I doubt you could match the exp/items per hour of a solidly geared Archon wiz - both on low and high MP depending on overall dps.
Reply Quote
here it comes:

lower cd on teleport
double the dmg on hydra
buff all energy twister runes besides wicked wind (ie. twice the dmg, or slightly higher proc rates)
buff blizzard dmg
add an ability to power hungry like: on pickup -> +25% walkspeed for 4 seconds
buff signature spells besides forked lightning and living lightning
buff storm armor runes (synergy with lightning dmg) besides scramble and the last one
buff ice armor runes (increase radius, synergy with frost dmg or whatever)
buff energy armor (increase fire dmg, arcane dmg, lower crowd controll duration) runes besides the last two
buff explosive blast runes besides chain reaction
buff archon runes besides improved archon and destruction (ie. immune to cc, lesser cd on teleport)
make something about the more or less useless passives pls

and so on.

but i guess, these things arent going to happen because of ... reasons
Edited by Imperial#2358 on 11/30/2012 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
My WD is already paragon 60+ and has the sort of exp/items per hour that no wizard build can ever hope to match.

Archon is pretty much the strongest farming ability in the game - I doubt you could match the exp/items per hour of a solidly geared Archon wiz - both on low and high MP depending on overall dps.

Lol...I guess u don't know how does a farming WD works eh?
WD has two movement speed boosts...both extremely spammable with grave injustice
We one shot all trash with acid rain, 3 sec kill elites with bears

The slowest farmer in game is wizard right now at mp0-2
All the other classes have a high burst movement skill and can 1shot stuff just as fast
Tempest rush for monks, vault for DH, sprint for barb, jaunt+stalker for WD
Reply Quote
View profile
I think wizard is pretty close to OK already.

Arcane Orb alone is very good, and any wizard that hasn't tried it should imo. But to get it's max effect you have to "get into the thick of it", the reason being that you can then use it for instant damage. It has a flight time, but at point blank range it doesn't. Using a shield helps for this.

Magic Missile could maybe use a little more damage, but I do use it now and even did before the buff to it. I just love seeker, and I want to get used to it for PVP (to shoot around pillars lol). I can see people literally about losing it to this one skill, getting killed while not even having line of sight to me.

Diamond skin will simply be massive in PVP, just watch and you will see. On demand shields were always so very good in WoW PVP, and will seriously save your bacon again and again here as well I am sure.

Teleport will probably also be big for PVP, as it will provide a way to get away from the melee smashing all up and down our !@#. You can do some very tricky things with it, and no other class has this type of skill on this level.

I really feel Ray of Frost needs more range, it's just plain too short in my opinion.

It is true that wiz is lacking compared to other classes in some ways, but I think that for PVP we will be pretty good as is. We also have advantages over other classes as well.

Some will say they shouldn't balance around PVP, but if they don't then it will make it highly unbalanced and people will only play a few classes then.

Try and realize that wiz is already very very tricky and good in a lot of ways, and like the mage in WoW you just cant give them everything. I do think perhaps a little more damage all around would be a good idea though, but the devs would probably know if it's needed or not far better than me being honest.
Edited by MagusHenosis#1202 on 11/30/2012 2:32 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]