Diablo® III

[IDEA] Upgradable Legend items [READ]

What ho,

We all know the feeling of grinding days on end, only to get excited about the occasional legendary drop and then notice its terrible stats. On top of not being able to use it, it won't give us anything on the AH because there are dozens of it already. I know some of us have gotten literally 10 or 20 of the same bad item, but never a good item.

What if we could upgrade Legendary & Set items?
(I will use the Windforce bow as an example here.)
  • Salvage 5 low-stat Legendaries of the same name, such as Windforce, to get 5 'Lesser Windforce Tokens'.
  • Combine the 5 'Lesser Winforce Tokens' into one 'Greater Windforce Token'.
  • Apply a 'Greater Windforce Token' to a Windforce bow in order to upgrade it, significantly improving its stats by 20-50% (but not beyond its max potential stats).
  • This will improve the game in the following ways:
  • No drops will ever be entirely useless. You can collect all bad items and know that some day, you will be able to use them to make something great - or sell them.
  • AH prices will rise tremendously, as suddenly there will be a market for all the bad versions of items.
  • Some people will choose to go via the route of upgrading, and some will just buy great items directly. This will mean there will be a market for both types, and also that both 'lucky' and 'unlucky' players will have a means to make money and improve their character at roughly the same pace.
  • Edited by Cyberbard#2464 on 11/30/2012 11:05 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    No thanks. Inventory management is already enough of a time suck for me that I wouldn't want to add a significant number of new tokens to the mix. Blizzard is looking at ways to improve the usefulness of Brimestones, a much more streamlined approach with existing mechanics than having 50+ different types of tokens.
    Reply Quote
    This would be the only time I say the item would have to become bound; the economy would flood with perfect items.
    Reply Quote
    11/30/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Nivik
    No thanks. Inventory management is already enough of a time suck for me that I wouldn't want to add a significant number of new tokens to the mix. Blizzard is looking at ways to improve the usefulness of Brimestones, a much more streamlined approach with existing mechanics than having 50+ different types of tokens.

Not really an issue as you probably wouldn't try to make every legendary anyway. Selling the bad items as soon as you get them with this system would in the end equal the money you'd get from selling a really good one. No inventories would be flooded.

11/30/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Magius
    This would be the only time I say the item would have to become bound; the economy would flood with perfect items.

That's a good point, and a great contribution to the idea. It would solve any remaining issue with this system.
    Edited by Cyberbard#2464 on 11/30/2012 11:19 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    This is actually a really great idea if you can get your head outside of the normal box.

It sounds a bit rediculous at first glance. Even I went "HAHAHA."

But then I gave it some serious thought... This would bring the market to a very diverse and generally higher price from bottom tier to med tier. The price of perfect items would drop a good bit.

Brimstones would go up because they now have competition for "Specific Item Tokens"

Blacksmith would need a new "Reforge" ability. And a way for the blacksmith to be able to detect "lowball legend, mediocre legend, good legend, and perfect legend." Then reward more reforge tokens based on item quality.

This may be too broad but how about instead of specific item reforge we take your idea and apply it to ALL legends. Then when people find a absolute crap legend instead of thinking "Oh a brimstone" they think "Oh a reforge token." And any reforge token could be applied to upgrade whatever gear the player actually needed instead of pigeon holing it into 1 item.

100 tokens to remaster the item. lowball legends give you 1 reforge token. Mediocre gives 2. Good gives 5. And perfects give 50. Then even really crappy inferno legends would have a decent worth. If you find one close to perfect upgrade it once or twice to get 50. Or sell it for increased value than current.

This brings MANY more players into the realm of "WINNING" Of decent lowbie loot sells and EVERYONE benefits. Top tier players will just be "WINNING" More.
    Edited by Dirtpoor#1202 on 11/30/2012 11:29 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    I like this idea... It would give useless items more use because we all know crafting sucks.
    Reply Quote
    11/30/2012 11:18 AMPosted by Cyberbard
    Not really an issue as you probably wouldn't try to make every legendary anyway.

That's where you're wrong. There's a sub-group of players in games like Diablo 3 that are called hoarders, I'm one of them. I keep the best version of every legendary I find. I was stock piling liquid rainbows and the like for awhile as well (knowing full well how useless that was) but I eventually had to make room for all the lower level Legendaries from my Leoric runs.

I hate Legendaries with a chance to get +str dex or int...then I have to keep 3 versions! And don't get me started on http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maras-kaleidoscope ! That's just a train wreck waiting to happen.
    Reply Quote
    Good idea i like this would make the game much better and dropped wouldnt be bad anymore!
    Reply Quote
    We all know the feeling of grinding days on end, only to get excited about the occasional legendary drop and then notice its terrible stats. On top of not being able to use it, it won't give us anything on the AH because there are dozens of it already. I know some of us have gotten literally 10 or 20 of the same bad item, but never a good item.

What if we could upgrade Legendary & Set items?

Or what if Blizzard fixed legendary and set items that just suck? And allow all legendary/set items to drop in all difficulties with relative stats. This would help variety and item diversity, allow first low leveled items to roll level 63 stats and actually be good.

So instead of introducing something, it would just be better to fix the first problem.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]