Diablo® III

Continuous black flashes

Ok, now I've been playing D3 since day one, and I've never had a single problem with it. All of the graphics are set to really low (like shadows and crap) and nothing has changed UNTIL NOW.

Within the last few days, the entire screen now flashes black over and over and over until usually my monitor just goes to sleep. It goes black, then stops, then goes black again, stops, goes black again, etc. It between flashes, I have enough time to alt-tab and stop the flashing, but it will continue upon tabbing back into the game.

This happens whether in windowed mode or full screen. This ONLY happens when the game is open. No other games have ever made this happen (D1/D2/SC1/SC2/WoW...).

I'm not sure what to do and I'm open to suggestions. I have some copied basic information that may be useful, I don't know, whatever:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0605&SUBSYS_23721682&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2287 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2009
Monitor Id: HWP2828
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.0697 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.697
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/2/2012 17:21:00, 18252136 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4545-11CF-8B77-7F031FC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0605
SubSys ID: 0x23721682
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem16.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section008:9.18.13.697:pci\ven_10de&dev_0605
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

Now keep in mind I don't recall changing ANYTHING AT ALL to make this happen. It just started doing it one day and now it won't freaking stop.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Soliouss,

Replacing the video card would be the fastest way to determine if it's the cause which it seems likely to be. If you don't have another one to use in its place, at least open up the computer after first unplugging the power cord and remove the card. Carefully clean out the fan and heatsink assembly to get out any dust buildup. A can of compressed air helps greatly with this. Reset the card back into the pc and retest.
Reply Quote
I am having the same problem. took a long break from the game and came back and now the screen flashes really bad. not sure how changing the video card would fix it as all other games run without a problem on full graphics.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Pergoth,

Without your dxdiag info, I have no way to know what hardware you have and if your video drivers are current which would be the most likely thing to check first.
Reply Quote
Are you running the 9800 gts in a SLI configuration? (dual graphicscards)? if so try disabling one.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I'm having a somewhat similar issue.

I came back to D3 last week (the changes since launch have really helped make it fun again).

The thing is, this game makes my card run REALLY, REALLY hot. My card idles @52c and when playing Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, WOW and other newer games my card never goes over 68c. Yet in D3, just sitting in the AH, my card goes as high as 86c.

I log in to D3, go to the AH and within 10 minutes my screen goes black, I see a "No signal" on my monitor and it's like my PC went to sleep and the only way to get it back is a hard restart (hold power button until it turns off). This doesn't happen in ANY of the other (37) PC games I own, only D3.

I really am enjoying this game, when I get to play it but if it's going to shorten the life of my hardware and cause problems like forced sleep then perhaps I should go back to Torchlight 2 instead and come back to this in a year hoping Blizz will have sussed out this issue?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]