left click - slow time - stretch time
Right Click - Archon - improved archon

1.-Frost Nova -Cold Snap
2. Energy twister-wicked winds
3. Magic Weapon- force weapon
4. energy armor pinpoint barrier

passive skills

critical mass.. evocation...blur

I think this build is perfect for a cm wiz who gets bored of freezing and blowing winds... It gives a perfect balance .. you freeze and do ww while in attack bubble in less that 8 seconds you have archon again.. its incredible.. try it out and see
Reply Quote
So here's my story tl;dr version:

-I started out like everyone else. Random unoptimized build having fun etc.
-Moved into archon build when its style became defined and after D3 received multiple updates to gameplay/gear/classes/etc
-Transitioned into fulltime CM/WW upon release of ubers -- transition only required picking up a cheap chant's set and exchanging some CD on jewelry for IAS.
-Upgraded slowly into a pretty solid SNS wiz -- fully equipped to carry MP10 ubers, etc

NOW I'm looking back at archon much more lately. I've dusted off some archon pieces and I've even bought a new Skorn in exchange for a nice drop yesterday off A3 farming (while in archon, go figure).

I'm finding that I can do MP3 really really easily and comfortably in my current archon setup. However, moving to MP4, it starts to feel a bit slower. Whites still die quickly, and elites do too...BUT...it seems like elites take just long enough for it to maybe not be efficient. So, is there some standard out there by which to determine in which MP it is correct for someone to run archon? I.e. "400K sheet DPS + 4K unbuff armor + 40CC = 95% likely to handle MP4 without problems efficiently" etc
Reply Quote
I mean this purple.

http://orlenius.deviantart.com/art/Archon-Form-304276439
Reply Quote
So here's my story tl;dr version:

-I started out like everyone else. Random unoptimized build having fun etc.
-Moved into archon build when its style became defined and after D3 received multiple updates to gameplay/gear/classes/etc
-Transitioned into fulltime CM/WW upon release of ubers -- transition only required picking up a cheap chant's set and exchanging some CD on jewelry for IAS.
-Upgraded slowly into a pretty solid SNS wiz -- fully equipped to carry MP10 ubers, etc

NOW I'm looking back at archon much more lately. I've dusted off some archon pieces and I've even bought a new Skorn in exchange for a nice drop yesterday off A3 farming (while in archon, go figure).

I'm finding that I can do MP3 really really easily and comfortably in my current archon setup. However, moving to MP4, it starts to feel a bit slower. Whites still die quickly, and elites do too...BUT...it seems like elites take just long enough for it to maybe not be efficient. So, is there some standard out there by which to determine in which MP it is correct for someone to run archon? I.e. "400K sheet DPS + 4K unbuff armor + 40CC = 95% likely to handle MP4 without problems efficiently" etc

The relevant thread is in the first post.
for MP 4, if you run improved archon you need like 280k+ DPS with scramble rune (if u use pinpoint u need like 310k+ coz storm armor's lightnings really help)
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 12/3/2012 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
instead of going for 400k, i rolled a barb. it seem though everyone is above 200k archon now days... i remeber 100k was considered nice back in 1.03 days.. i guess i'm due for upgrade, i'll just have to wait until i see a thread called "want to be 400k, come" =P
Reply Quote
I've been an Archon since I had the gold to afford it.
Started from Act 2 in 1.0.3 when my DPS still 50-60k and instagibbed by mortar/fire chain snake elite.
And then only able to move to Act 3 in 1.0.4 because of the nerf the Blizzard done.
Sometimes I feel jealous to our CM friend because they and barb/monk able to farm Act 3 even since 1.0.3 when most elite still dangerous and deadly.
Back when any Tremor/Phasebeast/Soul Ripper elite nearly mean guaranteed death.
But I just love the Archon style. Simple but deadly.
I feel so powerful when got a 100 Massacre or 50 Killing Blow. lol.
Not too mention that it hides the ugliness of my char when transforming into purple Saiyan lol.
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 05:28 PMPosted by chingchong69
instead of going for 400k, i rolled a barb. it seem though everyone is above 200k archon now days... i remeber 100k was considered nice back in 1.03 days.. i guess i'm due for upgrade, i'll just have to wait until i see a thread called "want to be 400k, come" =P

LOL, well played ching =P

@Yumcatz : especially when the female wiz says "I'm so good, I astound myself." or "Your defenses are NOTHING !" feel like a BAWSE !

P.S. to ching, is your barb's hellfire the reason you stick to barb recently ? =P nice rolled brah
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 12/3/2012 6:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

LOL, well played ching =P

@Yumcatz : especially when the female wiz says "I'm so good, I astound myself." or "Your defenses are NOTHING !" feel like a BAWSE !

P.S. to ching, is your barb's hellfire the reason you stick to barb recently ? =P nice rolled brah

It's ackward how i started to roll a barb...

I had difficult time farming Act 2 Keys... so I first decided to roll a barb only for Act 2 key runs as it's easier with barb and I felt it's was faster at higher MP7-8. It turned out to be true and I was finding keys left and right at a much faster rate and along with other acts as well.

I was going to use all the keys to run uber with my CM wiz until i cracked my nail playing b-ball. so i ended up WWing with barb and somehow ended up upgrading the barb more than I originally had planned to... now i got two 3/4 characters... fml.
Reply Quote
btw. i just bought logitech G510 and tried the macro for CM wiz. it's not working... seems like there is pause period. anyone have similar issues?
Reply Quote
Use Auto hotkey bro
Reply Quote
semi retired from softcore after a million mindless archon runs... zzz

hardcore is where it's at
Reply Quote
I rolled a wiz 5/15/2012. I played melee wiz until my fingers hurt. Then went WD before the buff in 1.0.4.

I've recently rolled a female wiz (originally to get achievement), but I can't stop with the archon. I know my dps is low, but I can farm so quickly solo up to mp5 and I love it.

I have zero APOC, so this cause some issues on refresh. I just don't want to gimp myself AND pay out the nose when living lightning does the trick. Been playing with prodigy and wicked wind on top of the living lightning lately and it works very well, but I have to drop galvanizing ward for scramble and diamond skin. Anyone have any suggestions for non-APOC archon wiz?

Archon + 24% move speed + scramble == win.

Being new to the build, I mainly run Act 3 depths, bridge, fields, and crater. Anybody have any good Act I or II runs? Vault of the assassin is great, but it takes a while to find and I'm always tempted to go to Kulle's archives for more which resets my waypoint.
Reply Quote
I've always been a Cm Mage, way before the current fad and I have always thought it was tough to play an archon Mage well. I tried it but geez my timing and coordination was horrible. Part of it is playing style I guess. But it's a beauty teaming with an archon Mage in ubers. Played with samll a number of times and his freezes are pretty darned decent by itself. But when I got a good lock and he goes into archon, the dps just rocks. With arcane dynamo on top of glass cannon, the life on the uber just melts away. Hell, I could just concentrate on freezing, forget my dps already =P
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Demosthenes
I have zero APOC, so this cause some issues on refresh. I just don't want to gimp myself AND pay out the nose when living lightning does the trick. Been playing with prodigy and wicked wind on top of the living lightning lately and it works very well, but I have to drop galvanizing ward for scramble and diamond skin. Anyone have any suggestions for non-APOC archon wiz?

You could try meteor shower instead of wicked wind. Meteor shower will kill things well enough for you to keep moving forward. It also isn't dependent on attack speed for its procs. Option two is keeping a wand and source with apoc for swap purposes.
Reply Quote
Been a great archon lover since 1.0.2. I think it's just something about the beam that makes wizards feel really cool and bada$$ albeit us being nerfed patch after patch.

Anyway, I love the scramble archon teleport build and kudos to whoever came up with it. I usually equip my red gem and a hellfire ring for speed runs at MP3-4.

At MP5/6 I'll just use standard rings and prismatic armor/pinpoint barrier.

IMO, I feel that MP3 gives the best EXP/hr at my current level and its a tough decision to make between 3 and 4 sometimes since they feel about the same.

Anyway, its been a long time since I last played as I've been busy with my final year projects and stuff but I'll be back this Friday and hopefully I can find a nice upgrade for my outdated weapon.

Meanwhile, Archon FTW!

CM/WW is pretty awesome but its so taxing on my fingers and I usually just limit them to Uber runs.
Reply Quote
@leej88: why are you using Cold blooded with no cold spell?
Reply Quote
@azliet: my scoundrel has a cold bow so its alright. But I usually change that out if I'm playing in pub game to something else.
Reply Quote
hmm interesting idea. I never thought of using the followers to trigger our passive. I guess only the scoundrel can be use efficiently that way. My followers are only MF/GF booster. I really don't care about their DPs or lives lol
Reply Quote
Yeah, followers can be pretty useful. I think the added GF/MF is only marginal compared to say the snare you can get if u had your scoundrel decked out with a cold bow and increased IAS items so that he'll be multi freezing mobs for you.

The slow effect + 20% more DMG really helps a lot and against pesky phasebeasts, it can really come in handy. Not to mention he's also able to paralyse mobs for a while rendering them unable to attack you.

DPS on a follower is almost non existant but the extra but of aide they provide makes wonders!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]