Diablo® III

Minority club (Archon)

Yeah, I agree that stacking some phys resist is a cheap and smart way too. Becoz RD is the most (and almost only) problematic for archon. However, u can't lose the other affixes on slots as well. Slots suggested for stacking phys resist : Jewelries,boots,bracers,gloves,belts. I have one on my ammy already and it helps me breakeven with RD mobs :)

Please note :
to break even with RD mobs
with 1.5% LS you need 97% mitigation
with 3% LS 94% mitigation
with 4.5% LS 91% mitigation
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 12/18/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please note :
to break even with RD mobs
with 1.5% LS you need 97% mitigation
with 3% LS 94% mitigation
with 4.5% LS 91% mitigation

Very good info to know.
Reply Quote
It's your friend after all LOL
Reply Quote
I think main weapon gives the most dps boost..i see most archons use swords..what about 1h black mace/axe at 1k+ dps, base crit 50%, o/s with 2.6% l.steal ? does aspd important for archon?
Reply Quote
Please note :to break even with RD mobs with 1.5% LS you need 97% mitigationwith 3% LS 94% mitigationwith 4.5% LS 91% mitigation

How did you manage to get 91% mitigation? Even in Archon, I'm only at 71% with my stats.

Still, at 71%, I only lose health when I beam 3 mobs at once. 2 mobs or less, my health stays constant with just 2.2% LS.
Reply Quote
Basic theory crafting

Total mitigation = 1-[1-((1-armor_mit)*res_mit)] (you can swap armor_mit or res_mit in any order)

Of course, you should stay pretty constant because you're using prismatic armor..
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 12/19/2012 2:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Thales
I think main weapon gives the most dps boost..i see most archons use swords..what about 1h black mace/axe at 1k+ dps, base crit 50%, o/s with 2.6% l.steal ? does aspd important for archon?

Atk spd on main is quite important for archon. The higher the better. Because when you calculate your total damage, avg. damage from sources and jewelries will be taken into account with the multiplier of that atk spd.

E.g. you're wearing 1.4 aps mainhand and you have total 400 damage from other sources. It's 400*1.4
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Thales

I can explain this in detail

If you look at this weapon, the main weapon dps displayed on this weapon is calculated this way.

I'll use the one I'm wearing for example
http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/21270313

It says 423-923 and attack per second is 1.65

So average damage you do each time is (423 + 923) / 2 = 673

673 x 1.65 = 1110.45 which just shows as 1110.5

Now, to answer your question, functionality wise weapon speed ie 1.65 in my case, does not matter for archon build at all. But very important thing to note is that every extra raw damage you get (sources/rings/amulets) You add it to the minimum and maximum and then you divide by 2 and follow the same steps. So if you have 130-480 source you would go 130 + 423 for min damage and 480+923 for max damage and add it all up and divide by 2. Then multiply that by 1.65 and that's your raw damage before all the primary stats and trifecta stats get involved.

And a side note, if you have the % elemental like zuni boots and tal's ammy or trium then you just multiply that % to every damage before you figure out the final average damage so for example if you have 8% zuni boots. If you want to calculate your raw damage, you go 1.08x423 and 1.08x923 and then follow the same steps. Assuming your weapon is black weapon.

All this is sort of irrelevant info because good dps calculator does it all for you. But it's important to understand this because if you had two weapons with exact same weapon dps but different average damage and different attack per second, that makes big difference in dps for every extra raw damage you add from source/ring/ammy. Weapons with same weapon dps but different attack per second will give the exact same damage per second for that weapon alone but once you add extra raw damage it gets filtered through the attack per second from the weapon.

To give you an example

I'll just make up imaginary but realistically possible weapons for sake of simplicity.

two weapons

#1) 400-900 with 1.65 attack per second gives you 1072.5 dps

#2) 530-900 with 1.50 attack per second gives you 1072.5 dps

Same final weapon dps but different average damage and different attack per second.

Now you add 100-200 damage source to each one and see what happens

#1) 500-1100 with 1.65 -> 1320 dps

#2) 630-1100 with 1.50 -> 1297.5 dps

See how when the extra raw damage gets filtered through the weapon dps, the final damage changes? Of course your weapon attack per second will be increased with % speed on other items but then again for each % attack speed item you add, higher base weapon attack speed will give you much greater increase in final attack per second from just simple % concept. The final dps difference between those two weapons will be greater as you add more % attack speed items and more extra raw damage.

Easier way to think of it is, every extra raw damage you add (from source/rings/amulets) you do the same extra damage per hit but depending on the rate of hit (weapon attack per second) you will do more extra damage per second which is what shows on your character sheet dps.

So my advice to you is if you have very similar weapon with similar weapon dps and stats, go for one with higher weapon attack per second.
Reply Quote
@Inspy Thanks, I was not aware of the formula. My mitigation using that calculation is at 86% unbuffed, 93.65% with Prismatic and Archon. That could explain my experiences with reflect. I had always thought that the defence % shown in game was what you were referring to, thus the skepticism.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Reply Quote
I think it's time to bump this thread
Reply Quote
I'm on archon build here :D Nice to meet fellow archon mates!
Reply Quote
Interesting...never thought about how the damage mechanic worked. Now I get why it never seemed to help out my big slow mace.
Reply Quote
Long-time Archon user. Hello.
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Ossian
Interesting...never thought about how the damage mechanic worked. Now I get why it never seemed to help out my big slow mace.

Actually EF is still decent as a mace only because it's got +0.21~0.25 attack per second which makes it have an attack speed of a sword or wand with a bit of attack speed bonus on it. Otherwise stay away from spears and maces. Perfectly rolled Axe with near max attack speed bonus on it could be pretty nice as well.
Reply Quote
another tip for archon users: stacking all resist is also a way of buffing up your life steal effectiveness.
Reply Quote
I've been Archon for a while now, but I'm starting to get tired of MP1/MP2.

I'm wanting to get into MP4, but not sure where to go with my current build, or if I should transition into a mid-range CC/WW wiz.

I'm pretty poor, so I need to either get a string of lucky drops or procure gold. Given that RNG is a ruthless master, I'll probably have to procure gold.
Reply Quote
Archon until a few days ago. Now playing around with Meteor a bit for fun. When Archon, I'm 200k dps and 43k hp running MP3. I miss my facemelt attack when spamming meteors :)
Reply Quote

I'm wanting to get into MP4, but not sure where to go with my current build, or if I should transition into a mid-range CC/WW wiz.

I'm pretty poor, so I need to either get a string of lucky drops or procure gold. Given that RNG is a ruthless master, I'll probably have to procure gold.

Change your gloves,helm,amulet and you'll have DPS boost big time.
Reply Quote

Change your gloves,helm,amulet and you'll have DPS boost big time.

What would you recommend?
Reply Quote
Helm = Tal Rasha's Guise of Wisdom 260 INT+ with +armor (650 armor at least)
Amulet = Rare amulet with very high CHD high INT high CC and VIT
Gloves = better gloves :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]