Diablo® III

Loot farming efficiency: MP7 vs MP3

i didnt compare the drops but i was able to gain more exp per min in mp4, compared to mp6.
mp4 = ~1mil exp per min, mp6 = ~700k exp per min iirc..
Reply Quote

Concerning 6-affix:
On mp1 you have 400mf (11.50)
On mp10 you have 625mf ~(12.3625) +7.5% I think this is more around +6.5% because the act 3 alkaizer focus's on whites compared to act 1, 2 runs and thus does not benefit affix buff on the guaranteed drop.

"
MF %6A %5A %4A
0 10.28 30.52 59.21
250 11.02 31.89 57.09
400 11.50 32.78 55.72
1000 13.80 36.84 49.36
"
"
The effect that MF has on increasing the number of possible affixes on rare items appears to be minimal and close to neglible for the standard elite drops. It does, however, appear to have a prominent effect on the NV rare drop.

You're taking this table out of context. It applies to the effect of MF on the distribution of the number of affixes while ignoring magic find's effect on the volume of rares found. You cannot directly apply it as you are. You should instead fall back to section 6.2 and use this:

Nominal chance = Base chance * (1 + (X/100))
Base chance = nominal chance at 0 MF.
X = MF %

The disclaimer from section 6.4:
"Do note that the above only considers the relative distribution of #affixes on rare items - it does not include the fact that more rare items will be collected in total (see the first graph in this section; it includes this effect). Put another way: You will find more rare items with more MF and those rare items will have a chance to roll out 4A, 5A and 6A, but the relative distribution of 4A, 5A and 6A are not changing by significant amounts by increasing MF."
Edited by Shelendil#1520 on 12/4/2012 4:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Shelendil is right

Taking the http://www.diablofans.com/topic/57939-magic-find-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/#S5-3 slot model and probabilities.

I assume white drops to occupy a slot i call a normal slot which elite packs have 1.5 of.
I assume whites have a 30% chance of loot and a 10% chance of gear. So white slots = while kills * (0.1+0.3 * extra drop chance). I try to normalize the whites down because of the number of scorpions in crater 2 and skeletons in keep 2. I view the mobs in the fields to be true white with the full 30% chance. Regardless i added in 1500, 900 and 250 into the table.

The 12.5 min mp0 run wins in this model.

http://s7.postimage.org/9fn4unobt/mf4.png
Edited by RulerEric#1854 on 12/4/2012 7:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes, that's closer. I haven't found a good way to pin down the number of drops from elites vs drops from white mobs. Changing that ratio affects the results.
Reply Quote
My model is 4.5 per elite pack and 30% * Bonus drop % + 10% from whites.

1/1000 base chance for orange drop.

1/5000 base chance for set drop (arbritrary number to attempt to correct for 'missed' rolls where there is no set drop available for the base item on successful rolls)
Reply Quote
well higher MP tends to give elites more chances to cast off their nasty affixes, in which case may lower efficiency. Just take for example you encounter frozen shielding desecrator on mp7, in this case u nid to kite a little or else you'd die most likely for u cant kill em tht fast. in mp3 the case is different. u may even kill em before they can even cast those affixes
Reply Quote
Nice table there Eric, all numbers still tend to favour low MP.

Given bonus items is negligible it's probably most efficient to ignore whites and warp from elite to elite for loot farming. Back to 1.0.3 CM style. In this case Act2 MP1-3 might be most efficient as Vault of Assassin has the largest concentration of elites in the game.
Reply Quote
If farming for efficiency I would suggest that anything over MP0-MP3 is probably wasting your time depending on your dps.
You could do 2 runs of MP3 in the same time it takes to do MP7. MP7's bonus XP + GF/MF isn't twice MP3. Especially if you already had a base GF/MF which at plvl 90, you're wasting your time.

Edit: As far as a fun factor is concerned, I push the MP level as high as I can. Tearing through mobs is fun for about 5 mins. Then I get bored.

i feel you bro.. bored farming efficiently.
Reply Quote
My model is 4.5 per elite pack and 30% * Bonus drop % + 10% from whites.

1/1000 base chance for orange drop.

1/5000 base chance for set drop (arbritrary number to attempt to correct for 'missed' rolls where there is no set drop available for the base item on successful rolls)

the issue is elite drops appear to vary for rares but not legendaries:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/57939-magic-find-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/#S5-3

IItem rarity Slot 1 Slot 2 Slot 3 Slot 4 Slot 5
L 0.0010 0.0010 0.0010 0.0010 0.0010
6A 0.0165 0.0010 0.0010 0.0165 0.0200
5A 0.0400 0.0020 0.0020 0.0400 0.0500
4A 0.1150 0.0040 0.0040 0.1150 1.0000
2A 1.0000 0.0450 0.0450 1.0000 1.0000
1A 1.0000 0.0200* 0.0200* 1.0000 1.0000
cW 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000
-
Item-slot droprate 100% 100% 50% 100% Requires 5xNV
Reply Quote
I'd say its more about your perception and expectations. If you want mindnumbing boring farming at MP3 because the calculations deem it to be more efficient, be my guest, but don't start complaining that you don't find anything after 20 runs.

If you start a party and own the place in MP7, with lots of lolz, you won't be complaining that you're not finding anything in the end. Because you're having fun.

I want my drops to be a welcome suprise, rather than it to be the purpose of playing.
Reply Quote
So you math guys have any consensus on what would be optimal?

and what about drop tables, i find there are high density mob zones that give much more loot than others, keeps vs craters for example.

i find i get more legs blasting full mf mp2-3 than mp7..... but doing mp10 very specific zones to kill mostly white trash is looking promising too.
Reply Quote
Well, somewhere around MP6-8 is optimal with current itemization if only because it would be silly for Blizzard to implement a system where MP0 is best even at high levels of gear.

It's hard to pin down the exact numbers, however. While the drops from elite packs are well understood, the drop rates from whites are not. Taking a spreadsheet like RulerEric's and manipulating the ratio of drops from elites vs whites will demonstrate what effect this has.

I started from a ratio of 50% drops from elites and 50% from whites on MP0. I get a result that the best level to farm assuming gear is not an issue is MP7. Shandlar's ratio must look more like 40/60, and results in the best level being MP8. There is currently not enough information to draw a conclusion.
Reply Quote
First of all, ditto what DHH said:

I'd say its more about your perception and expectations. If you want mindnumbing boring farming at MP3 because the calculations deem it to be more efficient, be my guest, but don't start complaining that you don't find anything after 20 runs.

If you start a party and own the place in MP7, with lots of lolz, you won't be complaining that you're not finding anything in the end. Because you're having fun.

I want my drops to be a welcome suprise, rather than it to be the purpose of playing.

As for measuring the drop rates and such, I look at it in a pretty simple way. My usual run is Act 3 starting at Keep 3 to Breach (end of Keep 2), Keep 1 through to Breach, the Arreat Core, Tower of the Cursed 1, Tower of the Damned 1, the Bridge of Korsikk through to Rakkis Crossing, and Stonefort if I'm feeling frisky for a key. I'll do this until I either finish the run or fill up my stash and inventory. On MP3-4 I would almost always finish the entire run before filling up. On MP6-7 it's not often I get to finish the whole run. The difference in time is probably about 10 minutes or so.

I'd also like to throw something out there concerning magic find. I've read that magic find does not affect the "quality" of the stat rolls on items, but I think it may actually do so. In MP3 I would generally get lower stat rolls on items with the same number of affixes as compared to MP6. As far as I know, the monster level isn't changing with the MP level. What else could this be besides coincidental RNG?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]