Diablo® III

Top dps wd's no Loh or ls??!

I'm am very confused as to how all the top witch doctors with 300-400k dps are surviving with not life on hit or life steal?, I do above 200k and could use some more resistances but i dont understand how i could survive on that alone even with 100k dps more with no life on hit or life steal any thoughts on how there doing it?
Reply Quote
Kill it before it kills you?
Reply Quote
I understand that concept but the fact is you're bound to take damage and not being able to get health without potions makes no sense you cant kill everything without taking damage, even if you could eventually you'll run into reflects and then what?
Reply Quote
INB4 The "fake" Dps because of IAS comments. ;)

A lot of it is in your play style, and skill selection. Life Link Dogs, and JF work well together as do life leach, SV, works great to. I used to play a VERY GC whimsy build I got used to kiting and evading damage manually so when I pay attention I can get away with running my skorn + innas even though it doesn't have any LS or LOH and makes me very glassy.

A lot of it is the Kill before you get killed. Big damage done quickly kills fast. Little damage done quickly does not, same with big damage done slowly. It's about a balance of speed & damage.

Also to be frank your spec is odd. You have PTV for more damage but then you have a pile of mana replenishment skills to make up for the PTV. So instead of doing damage you were fighting against mana.. I would look at dropping PTV, switching your spells from mana return to more damage, and adding in a defensive passive if you are having trouble staying alive, also add in dogs they are going to make you the target 1/4th of the time.
Reply Quote
I normally dont run the mana regen abilities i just stick with darts and slow burn and the rest cc abilities plus soul harvest and either dogs or garg with either jungle fot or spirit vessel to replace the mana passive
Reply Quote
I got no problem surviving without life steal/loh gear.

All i need is health globes&life i get from grave injustice. In reflect damage packs i sometimes change to life steal skorn if i get in trouble and trigger sv.

In mp8-10 i have to rely on skorn more often though, but i usually just play mp 2-4 games

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GdSpd-2144/hero/188773
Edited by GdSpd#2144 on 11/30/2012 3:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
Glass
Strength

Glass
Dexterity

Intelligence

Vitality
Reply Quote
I can do fine without life steal until about mp7 and I only do 210k dmg. With SV I can kill off most white trash mobs without taking a hit, and for ubers I can drop a totem to hasten the process. The only problem is reflect...I need to switch to a mana's and a loh ammy.

If I did over 400k dmg I would see no reason to ever use lifesteal unless facing a reflect pact. When killing things that quickly, health globes are sufficient.
Reply Quote
there are health globe builds because of a few setups you can do (like sacrifice + zoimbie dogs final gift)

other than that, i dunno lol
Reply Quote
The only way I can see someone playing upper MP levels with not LS/LoH is if they are playing a snare/kite spec.

IE grasp / direbats or splinters etc.

Otherwise I have no idea how you could manage to stay alive.
Reply Quote
One other possibility: it's a moot question because they aren't playing Diablo. Instead, they're playing diablo-progress.com (and winning).
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 02:20 AMPosted by midgetron
I'm am very confused as to how all the top witch doctors with 300-400k dps are surviving with not life on hit or life steal?, I do above 200k and could use some more resistances but i dont understand how i could survive on that alone even with 100k dps more with no life on hit or life steal any thoughts on how there doing it?

the answer is simple, obvious, and is staring you in the face:

THEY ARE NOT FARMING HIGH MP LEVELS.

If you give me a 1600 dps skorn and add a dps witching hour and lacuni (150int 6%cc) I would go from 195k unbuffed dps to 260k unbuffed dps (tested this). now when you add PtV, I am 310k dps.

Now, when I go to farm MP10 i die 2x as much as before (also tested). It gets even worse if you try to manufacture 'paper dps' but using tal rasha relentless and innas pants. Those Mp's literally become unfarmable because your EHP is faaaar too low (tested with ChuckNorris).

Frankly you should understand that those ppl you look to on diabloprogress have no interest in how functional their gear/build is - only how much paper dps it produces. 99.5% are farming MP1-5 (especially those touting full glass cannon wardrobe).

If you want to push yourself, keep your EHP up and look to get your dps somewhere in the 220k-280k range and thats about the best you can do. That's including PtV.

As an added note: at 310k dps I can 1-2 shot most things in MP4-5 with AC.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 06:40 AMPosted by Worloega
One other possibility: it's a moot question because they aren't playing Diablo. Instead, they're playing diablo-progress.com (and winning).

what he said. lol
Reply Quote
It gets even worse if you try to manufacture 'paper dps' but using tal rasha relentless and innas pants. Those Mp's literally become unfarmable because your EHP is faaaar too low (tested with ChuckNorris)

Using Tal rashas / Innas Pants in higher MP levels is perfectly viable.

Using ALL +IAS items, probably not.

IE
I have Innas pants, and can run MP10. My EHP isnt the problem in MP10, its simply how long it takes to kill stuff.

All im saying is you can use a few pieces here and there, but stacking it all simply for sheet DPS isnt the best thought.
Reply Quote
BOOOYAAA I Win I could smell the blood in the water before the sharks got here lol... Note: he never said high MP!

You just need to revisit your spec more then anything. You want to be doing as much damage as possible. The problem with darts is they only hit one target it's just to slow no matter how you look at so you are proboly getting swarmed.

If I were you I would do the following.

1) Drop Darts and go with Spiders, or Firebombs.
2) Drop Haunt and go with SB WOS.
3) Drop Acid and Go with either a CC dot like Grasp/eels to help you kite better, or Loucst Blazing to do an extra single cast AOE attack while you are spamming 1 or 2.
4) Drop BBV for Dogs. You need the damage mitigation. Try leaching, or Life link.
5) Since you have no Pick up Radius. Don't worry about GF/GI go with a combo of the following Passives. ROE, Jungle Fort, Spirit Vessel, Blood Ritual, Vision Quest. Drop PTV for now.
6) Change Spirit Walk healing journey for Jaunt, more time in Spirit Walk means more time alive.
7) Drop Soul Harvest Siphon, for Vengeful, or Soul to waste. It's big damage for a single attack, or extra safety from reducing your time spent within melee range of mobs and keeping you maxed 5 stacks up for 60 seconds vs 30 will give you more damage over all.
8) A single item gear swap will help alot drop the Tal Rasha and go with a Zuni's chest. At least get the 3 piece, try to find one with similar stats + Armour. That alone will give you another 135 AR, and push you over 4k armour.
9) Look for other places to make up your DPS. You can easily replace your pox with the same version + a socket for an extra 50+ Int. (on the cheap), and you will see a HUGE gain from upgrading your mojo with something with a much higher average damage. You are at 213. Which is rather low. Shoot for 260-280, look for 6% vs elites, 10% CC, and something other then posion darts that can actually help you. Could also look for an SOS over a US to help you complete the set and increase your mana.
10) Gear up one of you followers try the Scoundrel for the extra CC with a windforce for knock back, and an amulet with cold damage on it for slow.

You biggest challenge changing things around gear wise is going to be vit try to hit 1000 (I need to do the same), but you've got a ton of life% but your vit is to low. May want to think about dropping a couple int gems for life until you sort that out.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/30/2012 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]