Diablo® III

Holyoke's WD builds!INFINITE BEAR BARRAGE!

AS I ADD MORE THEY WILL BE LOWER IN THE POST SO PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AROUND!

Hopefully I will have some more soon if the feedback is decent, I didn't go into to much detail but if you play a WD you should at least understand the concepts.

If you have any questions or want to do runs with me add my tag!
Holyoke#1327

So this first one is my current favorite and I use it to farm act 3 mp1-2
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcdUjT!UVe!baYaac

It focuses on using Plague of toads - Rain of toads with bats the ability to spam Firebats - Dire Bats in between. Both of these skills scale amazing well with LoH. The second part of the this build relies on Fetish Sycophants see below.

I went with Soul Harvest - Soul to Waste because the damage bonus is fantastic and
increased duration makes it a more permanent buff.

Spirit walk - Jaunt is a must for WD, there is no better way to get away.

Mass Confusion - Unstable Realm works really well against elites, and the reduced CD allows you to use it a lot more.

My personal favorite Gargantuan - Bruiser his stunning punch does a lot of damage and stops them from moving, this lets Rain of frogs and firebats hit their target every time.

For passives I chose:
Vision Quest for the mana regen, this allows a lot more Firebats.

Fetish Sycophants is the most important part to this build. Basically Rain of Toads and Firebats are both effected by this passive. Each time either of these spells are cast there is a %5 chance that you will spawn a fetish. These little fetish's do %20 of your weapon damage and run around stabbing mobs, distracting mobs even tanking them. This effect seems to work so well that at any given time 5-15 fetish's will be up and running around.

Spirit Vessel is a no brainer

My second build I have been playing with is:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfdUQY!Uce!bcYaYc

This build is based on face tanking any elite in the game (IN THEORY) it usually works quite well but I know there will be the odd pack that counters it. THIS IS ALSO AN MP2-3 BUILD

I chose RoT because the LoH scales amazing well, and allows for face tanking. But RoT is also good because it can be cast anywhere you click easily going over walls and affix wallers.

Zombie bears paired up with vision quest and blood ritual allows you to produce copious amounts of them, while staying alive from their massive damage if you have Life Steal and LoH.

Soul Harvest - Soul to Waste just makes a more permanent damage buff, your 5 stacks should be up 80% of the time.

Spirit walk Jaunt because being able to run away at full speed makes sense. It can also be used offensively, running in and using soul harvest and throwing some bears into the mix before you get out of stealth.

Big Bad Voodoo - Ghost Trance is a major dps and healing tool, it heals 5% hp every second in an AOE. This allows for SUPER SERIOUS FACE TANKING MODE I have stood inside arcane beams and been jailed, without losing any hp(MP2).

Zombie Dogs - Leeching beasts is great for HP regen, as well as healing themselves. These little dudes can face tank as well as heal you for 50% of the damage they do.

PASSIVES!
Vision quest is one of my favorites, but only works well if you have mana regen in your gear.
Blood Ritual helps with face tanking and lowering the cost of zombie bears.
Spirit vessel... do we have to go over this again?

CHECK LOWER FOR MORE BUILDS!!!!
Edited by Holyoke#1327 on 12/11/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Looking for input from other successful WD's that do not use your typical cookie cutter builds. If you have a good spin on a cookie cutter please share :)
Edited by Holyoke#1327 on 12/4/2012 3:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
I haven't tried anything like this but it looks like fun. Since Acid Cloud proc's LOH very well and also proc's Fetish Sycophants I have hard time thinking I'd ever want Direbats though. I think alot of people would also wonder why you wouldn't take ZB's in there instead.

But hey, why not buy some + pickup radius as well and run Circle of Life. Have Dogs/Garg and Fetish's. Have alot going on.

Is the mana returned by Vision quest worth it? I'm overly fond of Blood Ritual.

**Edit** My other gripe with this build is Mass Confusion. While I agree its fun to have and can be used pretty effectively. The cooldown even with the -CD rune is long. I can't see this being worthwhile unless your including it in a Grave Injustice build.

I have dropped Garg recently and replaced it with Hex - Jinx and I have been loving it.
Edited by Jackyboy#1251 on 12/4/2012 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
I see your points, but this talent spec is based off of an MP2 build I have been working on. It works great, and firebats has a longer range with a lower mana cost. I can spam bats all which spawn more Fetishs. It makes sense if you actually give the build a shot. Obviously it can be played with and tweaked but with my gear and this set up it has worked really well, I can farm mp2-3 with ease.
Reply Quote
Ill give it a whirl. I can see what you mean. I tried a few runs with Fetish Sycophants and with my Skorn I was just not attacking enough to make it worth while. I just switched back to 1h/Mojo and ill try it again.
Reply Quote
Yeah check out my weapon, you need something really fast with high LOH to make Rain of toads really strong. You should always have at least 1 rain of toads hitting something at all times, during each RoT you can usually fit 2-3 bats in between and be at full mana again.
Reply Quote
I put up a second build in the first post if anyone is interested.
Reply Quote
I'm having fun with this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RZYUdT!TYe!cbbacc

Basically it is just one of many possible builds that utilizes grave injustice + gruesome feast + some kind of health globe generator + lots of +globe health. I used to use sacrifice with final gift but this is much safer and does more damage since I can add in feast instead of circle of life.

Also finally realized just how awesome soul harvest - vengeful spirit is. I'm sure I could handle MP2, but I'll be sticking with MP1 until I can build my vit back up.
Reply Quote
I'm having fun with this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RZYUdT!TYe!cbbacc

Basically it is just one of many possible builds that utilizes grave injustice + gruesome feast + some kind of health globe generator + lots of +globe health. I used to use sacrifice with final gift but this is much safer and does more damage since I can add in feast instead of circle of life.

Also finally realized just how awesome soul harvest - vengeful spirit is. I'm sure I could handle MP2, but I'll be sticking with MP1 until I can build my vit back up.

I see what you're trying to do and this spec is a great face roll spec for MP0-1 but two of your passives don't really benefit you when you're fighting elites it seems very proc based. I'm not saying it's bad and im sure its hilarious fun just destroying everything but might I add that Acid Cloud should be blob or increased radius and for survivability the Leaching dogs might be better, with all that damage you should be putting out the dogs will scale a lot better. As for passives, maybe swap Grave Injustice for Pierce the Veil or blood ritual? I just don't see you using the other part of Grave Injustice and thats based on CD. So maybe use Zombie Wall- Zombie Tower its does CRAZY damage and has a 10s CD, with GI this could be utilized a lot more?

Just my 2 cents, keep on rocking.
Edited by Holyoke#1327 on 12/7/2012 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Holyoke
Zombie Dogs - Leeching beasts is great for HP regen, as well as healing themselves. These little dudes can face tank as well as heal you for 50% of the damage they do.

Leeching beasts suffer the same penalty as all lifesteal in inferno (80% reduction). However, I still use them sometimes (split between them and Life Link) because damage done by thorns (assuming Fierce Loyalty passive) counts as an attack by them.
Reply Quote
Yeah I know it suffers, but I find they can still do a fair amount of healing. 10% off the top isn't that much when my build is based on LOH and life steal.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Holyoke
Yeah I know it suffers, but I find they can still do a fair amount of healing. 10% off the top isn't that much when my build is based on LOH and life steal.

Yes they are good for supplemental healing (I personally use regen) but I guess I just wanted to bring that to attention to people reading this that leeching beasts cannot be your main source of life recuperation
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Lykotic

Leeching beasts suffer the same penalty as all lifesteal in inferno (80% reduction). However, I still use them sometimes (split between them and Life Link) because damage done by thorns (assuming Fierce Loyalty passive) counts as an attack by them.

Not just that. They don't heal you for 50% of their damage, but 25%. 50% is total heal, evenly divided between them and you.

Lab
Reply Quote
Not just that. They don't heal you for 50% of their damage, but 25%. 50% is total heal, evenly divided between them and you.

Lab

Yea sorry, I forgot to specify. This is my first time ever doing any kind of guide, their self healing is pretty nice.
Reply Quote
SHAMELESS BUMP
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Holyoke
Looking for input from other successful WD's that do not use your typical cookie cutter builds. If you have a good spin on a cookie cutter please share :)

I guess this describes me - I haven't seen anyone who uses my exact build. Part of my build is fairly standard because I use bears, pets, and three defensive passives. But I also use haunt with the mana regen rune as my left click and manitou as one of my skills.

I love the range on haunt and the fact that it deals legit damage to elites while I run around avoiding mortars and arcane beams. The mana regen from haunt - combined with regen from my visage and thing of the deep and the mana cost reduction from blood ritual - makes it so that I almost never run out of mana even when I'm spamming bears. I'd encourage other WDs to give haunt a spin - it seems very underused to me, especially after the buff in 1.05.

Manitou is not particularly worthwhile for DPS, but I love that it breaks barrels, doors, etc. for me. The other day, I actually found a Nat's helm in a pile of bones that I never would've taken the time to break on my own. If I want to do something more dangerous than A3 MP0 farming runs, I switch manitou out for horrify/frightening aspect.

Thanks for the thread - some interesting builds and skill discussion here.

Edit: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#eUYgfT!ace!cabcca
Edited by Sunshine#1222 on 12/7/2012 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Sunshine

I guess this describes me - I haven't seen anyone who uses my exact build. Part of my build is fairly standard because I use bears, pets, and three defensive passives. But I also use haunt with the mana regen rune as my left click and manitou as one of my skills.

I love the range on haunt and the fact that it deals legit damage to elites while I run around avoiding mortars and arcane beams. The mana regen from haunt - combined with regen from my visage and thing of the deep and the mana cost reduction from blood ritual - makes it so that I almost never run out of mana even when I'm spamming bears. I'd encourage other WDs to give haunt a spin - it seems very underused to me, especially after the buff in 1.05.

Manitou is not particularly worthwhile for DPS, but I love that it breaks barrels, doors, etc. for me. The other day, I actually found a Nat's helm in a pile of bones that I never would've taken the time to break on my own. If I want to do something more dangerous than A3 MP0 farming runs, I switch manitou out for horrify/frightening aspect.

Thanks for the thread - some interesting builds and skill discussion here.

Interesting build, I could see it working quite well for MP0 even MP1. I would encourage you to link your talent tree so its easier to find.

Keep up the good work.
Reply Quote
Interesting build, I could see it working quite well for MP0 even MP1. I would encourage you to link your talent tree so its easier to find.

Keep up the good work.

I added a link to my previous post. Hopefully it worked right - I haven't done that before.
Reply Quote
Thanks you, lets hear about some more builds. Keep them coming!
Reply Quote
Another interesting build I have been playing around with. It is based on AOE damage, and still being able to survive at any range.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRdZXT!WXe!cacYZa

Firebomb - Ghost bomb is a fantastic WD tool and can aoe almost any group of white mobs down in a matter of seconds, combined with GotD - Groping eals makes a very deadly combo.

Acid Cloud - Acid Rain is a great skill that scales amazing well with LoH and will be your main source of damage, typically only using 1-2 per white mob fight. The increased radius truly makes a difference allowing you to hit those pesky vortex mobs that you're running from. :)

Grasp of the Dead - Groping Eals(or a lot of the other runes) Works really well with this spec, great for stopping elites dead in their tracks and killing them with acid clouds and fire bombs.

Horrify - Stalker is just a great way to escape and having the bonus MS can allow you to GTFO if VS popped or you're just at low life with no escape. Its more of an OH !@#$ button.

Gargantuan - Humongoid has a 130% weapon damage cleave that works really well with grasp of the dead and your other AOE spells.

PASSIVES!
Pierce the veil is a great way to pump up your damage, you only need to use acid cloud a couple times per fight.
Bad medicine is a good way to lower their dps, especially effective in parties. (This passive can be played with for sure)
Spirit Vessel... I MEAN REALLY!?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]