Play what gives you the most pleasure, the most fun. If you love SC, play SC. If you love playing as the monk, play the monk. Don't force yourself to play a mode or a class or use a cookie cutter build that isn't you.
And try all the classes and skills if you can. So you know what works best for you. I can tell you that after countless hours of playing on all modes and classes that I love HC and I love WD. But that's just me, and if my main WD died in HC due to a disconnect or by any other means, I would celebrate the life he had. Because I love playing as WD. Remember, it's all about your journey through life. We all will die, in both real life and in HC. It's what you do from the time you are born till the day you die that matters.
Do you want to make a difference? Help out others who are struggling in HC. I've helped countless friends and even strangers in Public games. If a player just lost their main HC character and are left with nothing, I will help them get back on their feet. It feels good to give, not just to receive. And for those of you who enjoy watching others die, that feeling will fade away one day and you will be left with no one. You will be stuck with a bad reputation and the hatred of your victims.
One of my favorite things to do is to help others by killing the bosses for them, stranger or friend. So if you are scared of the enrage timer or of any of the Hell or Inferno bosses, add me and I will be more than happy to help you out.
Some tips that helped me and that may help you...
1. Keep your computer secure and updated. Use the Authenticator to secure your D3 account. Run Windows Update and install all of the important security patches. Install Antivirus software if you haven't already and keep it updated. Enable your firewall. Keep the hackers out of your computer and account!
2. Disable the Windows Key on your keyboard. Google it if you need instructions. No reason to die from accidentally tabbing out of the game.
3. If you're new to HC, do your homework, prepare yourself, and know what to expect. Many HC deaths can be prevented or avoided just by experiencing the game and knowing what lies ahead.
4. If you want to survive, gear for it. I've tried playing with and without a shield and I've noticed a difference. Any HC character that I actively play now uses a shield for the defensive properties: block chance, armor, and stats. Don't skimp on vitality, resist all, armor, and your main stat. Check the AH often for cheap upgrades. Every bit helps especially when you need it most.
5. Don't be afraid to ask for help in-game or on the forums. But be careful in Public games. I've met many new friends in Public games and on the forums, but I've also come across some nasty people in-game. Just a quick story... when my HC WD got to Inferno A2 and was opening the locks for Zoltun Kulle, a very high level barb named "Cosmo" joined my game. A Wiz and Monk also joined, and the three of us were in the first lock while the barb ran ahead and TP'd to town. He then entered the 2nd lock (I thought he was just racing to get that unlocked as well so we can kill ZK fast), well what he was doing was gathering all the mobs and elites in the 2nd lock and brought them to the entrance. So once the other two and myself finished the first lock, we went into the 2nd lock and I went in first. As soon as I got in, I was met and surrounded by 30+ inferno mobs. My SV popped, and I ran as fast and as far as I could. The other wizard and monk then came in after me and the wizard died. The monk was able to TP back to town somehow in all that chaos. Cosmo laughed the entire time. My SV very rarely pops if ever, but that's why I love it for those crazy situations where you'd be dead otherwise. So for any WDs out there, get SV! And for those trying to decide what class to try next, give WD a try and see what you think.
6. If you're curious what skills, passives, and items the top HC and SC players are using, check out diabloprogress.com. Most of the time, there's a good reason why they're using those particular skills, passives, and items. For the classes I don't play as much, I tend to test those skills out first to see if I like them or not for my style of play.
If you wish to add any tips or if you have a question, feel free to reply, thanks! You can also add me in-game (Deathdragon#1791) if you need any boss killed ;) I love killing Inferno Diablo!